Bae Joohyun

Fragile

Love wasn't in Bae Joohyun list. Not until she met the love of her life. Kim Jennie. The girl whom she met during her visit to Seoul National Hospital after her mother give birth to her younger sibling. After her father died due to heart disease, Joohyun's mother decided to remarried to the famous Kim Rowon, the owner of Kim Empire. Finally her family become complete after her beautiful younger sibling were born. 

That day, Joohyun was eight years old when she met Kim Jennie in the hospital hallway. Jennie accidently fell down on the floor after she tripped herself due to running. Joohyun was in the hallway trying to find the nearest bathroom when she saw Jennie crying on the floor. A living breathing Angel she is, Joohyun approached the younger girl.

"Why are you crying?," asked her.

"I tripped myself! It hurt!" 

Without waiting any longer, Joohyun ran to the nurse station and told them a girl fell on the hallway and crying because she hurt herself. Soon the nurse get to Jennie and bring her to the treatment room. Jennie didn't broke anything. She just bruised herself and she was crying because she was shocked. Joohyung had forget how badly she wanted to go to the bathroom. She decided to stay with the younger girl untill the girl finished being treated. 

"Are you okay now?"

"Yes! Thanks to you!" Joohyun smiled.

"My name is Joohyun and you?"

"Jennie! Kim Jennie"

"Well, it's nice to meet you Kim Jennie. Hope we can be friend"

That happened years ago and after that they become best friend. It happened when Jennie moved to Joohyun school. They eventually become classmate and that's when several things happened. 

At the weekend, Jennie will come visit to Joohyun house sometimes the other way around. They watch movie together, make homework together, travel together, eat lunch together, and it become their habits until high school. When everything will change their relationship forever. 

Joohyun was busy with her homework in her bedroom when a knocked on her door was heard. Her mother came in and the next thing she was about to say was nothing Joohyun would expect.

"Joohyun-ah. Your father wanted us to move to United States"

"What? Mom! All of my friends is here. I can't bear to leave them!"

"You can make new friends there, honey. You can't stay here alone. What about your sister,huh? She need you as a big sister"

"But mom"

"Joohyun-ah"

If only Joohyun was a bad daughter, she will refused to go and stayed in Korea alone. But hearing her mother mention about her younger sibling melted her heart. The hard decision was made. She must go and the only thing on her mind that day was Jennie. 

She doesn't want to leave Jennie. She doesn't want to leave her side. She love her and she knew Jennie also have the same feeling. But it just a matter of time untill Joohyun confess. She was planning to confess tomorrow at Jennie's birthday party but this whole thing happened so sudden. Her flight is tomorrow night and she didn't know how to tell Jennie without ruining her birthday party. 

But even though Joohyun had tried to hide her feeling, Jennie knew her very well. For Jennie, Joohyun is just like an open book. So easy for her to read. 

Jennie's birthday party was about to begin. She look very stunning in her beautiful long blue dress. Joohyun can't remove her eyes from Jennie. She was just so beautiful and she couldn't bear that she will ruin those beautiful moment with a simple sentence.

"Jennie"

"Do I look pretty?"

"You look pretty everyday, Jen"

Jennie squinted her eyes and Joohyun knew Jennie had discovered something different within her because of the sad tone in her voice.

"What's wrong, Hyun?"

Joohyun bite her lips. She hesitated whether she tell the truth or not. But she knew it best to tell her. Joohyun took both her hands and look straight to Jennie's eyes. She will miss those beautiful eyes.

"I'm leaving"

It took Jennie a split second to asked her again.

"Where?"

"United state"

"When?"

"In three hours"

Joohyun tried to read Jennie's mind. Hoping she gets some respond but all she gets were tears. Jennie's crying and Joohyun's heart sank. She hurt her. She hate it very much. If only there's another way, Joohyun won't made Jennie cried today. If only this whole thing didn't happened, she wouldn't ruined Jennie's birthday party. Joohyun approached the girl and hugged her. 

"Don't cry. You'll ruin your make up"

"D-does it m-matter now? D-don't you know I-I'm a crying baby?"

"I know" 

They let go of the hugged and stared at each other eyes. Joohyun hated this. She hate to say goodbye because she is just about to start everything with Jennie together. Despite the fact that the world are against them, she's willing to try everything with Jennie. She willing to stay by her side everyday, everysecond, everyminute, everyhour. She wanted to protect her. But this goodbye won't happen if her step father didn't decided to move to USA. 

"There is something I wanted to tell you, Jen"

"I love you Joohyun!" cried Jennie. 

Joohyun was surprised with the sudden confession from Jennie. She can see how desparate Jennie is and all she can do is stood right where she is. 

"I-I was about to confess too," said Joohyun making Jennie look at her. Those red eyes. Joohyun wasn't supposed to make her cry. She hates to be the reason Jennie cried. 

"C-can't you just stay? We're just getting started"

"Are you okay with long distance relationship? We can stay in touch by sending emails"

"I-I don't know, Hyun-ah"

"Please, Jennie. Will you try? I will try it too"

Even though Jennie was a bit scared and hesitated at the first place, at the end she nodded. Joohyun was beyond happy and Joohyun left Korea without any burden. Even though Jennie wasn't there in the airport, Joohyun was okay with it. She had kissed the mandu girl and it was rather a happy kissed. That's why Joohyun left without any burden in her heart. She was relieved. Only that she didn't realized what will happen in the future. 

The first month of their long distance relationship was a nightmare for both of them. Difference time made them so hard to stay in touch. Especially with Joohyun who also busy catching up with study and taking care of her sister. Jennie on the other side kept on waiting for Joohyun until she gave up. She gave up waiting for the girl by stopped sending her emails and gone like she never existed. It happened after 6 month. Jennie started to stopped sending emails and focus herself on finishing high school.

Joohyun was trying to be positive at the first week she didn't get any replied from Jennie. She thought that Jennie probably busy with the end of the semester test. But she started to get worried when after two weeks, three weeks, that mandu girl didn't replied. She tried to call her even though it cost a lot she didn't care. Her father own the Kim empire, money doesn't bother her. She become reckless. She wanted to go back to South Korea. Searching for that mandu girl. But then she can't. Joohyun can't go. Her sister needs her here and her mom too. She can't be selfish only for love. 

Joohyun was broken inside and out. Knowing that she couldn't do anything and no replied were seen on her laptop screen. She wanted to scream and threw fault to her step father. But she can't. It's her decision too to leave. All she can do was tried to reach Jennie through phone call and emails for years But none of them get any respond. Until one day, Joohyun calls her and someone picked it up, Joohyun wasn't expecting Jennie to be so...rude and harsh. Her beautiful, kind, loving Jennie is now different. 

"Jennie? Are you there?"

"Stop calling me Joohyun"

"Why? Why'd you stopped? I thought we're in this together"

"I'm tired of waiting, Joohyun. I keep on hoping you would come back and stay in South Korea for good. But everyday I hoped it just ruin me. I'm sorry Joohyun. But let's end our relationship right here, right now"

"Jennie. No. I-I'm still willing to try"

"Until when, Joohyun? I had enough of this whole long ing distance relationship. Just stop calling me"

"Wait Jennie!"

Just like that. Jennie end the call and Joohyun was left devastated. She find herself crying alone in her bedroom everynight. She can't focus on her study in the university. She doesn't want to eat, doesn't hang out with her friend, she felt so lonely and empty. Her sister saw how broken her sister is and all she can do was comforted the older girl. 

Years had past and Joohyun find herself getting back normal. She finished her degree and she work as a general manager in her step father's company. Her step father wish she could run the company in the future. She work very hard in the company. She become a robot. Working every hour, everyday, nothing can stop her from being a workaholic. 

But in the middle of her busy day, her sister came by her office after school. Joohyun found it very rare for her sister to come by and so she decided to hold her schedule for the next two hours.

"What makes you come and visit me?"

"I'm moving to South Korea, unnie," that of course surprised Joohyun. Her sister isn't familiar with Korea. She never been there ever since she was little. Her sister had moved to USA ever since she was five years old. She  could barely remember about Korea.

"What made you wanted to go there?"

"I just want to"

"Kim Jisoo. You better give me a proper reason"

The girl who sit infront of her stared at Joohyun eyes. The reason why she wanted to go back is she wanted to find the girl who hurt her sister. But she knew her sister won't let her do that. And so she made up a reason.

"South Korea is my hometown. I need to see my hometown with my own eyes. I wanted to know the people and study them. Is that good enough?"

Joohyun couldn't say anything. Her sister probably missed her hometown and yes she need to know her hometown too. There was a slight wish coming inside her head. She wanted to ask her sister to find Jennie but again. That girl probably doesn't want to see her nor her sibling. So it best to stay this way. Eventually Joohyun approved her depatured to South Korea. 

Only she didn't know, her sister suffered the same thing that happened to her and Jennie. She's too blind to realized it after Jisoo cameback to USA when their father was hospitalized. Jisoo is diferent than Joohyun. That girl is smart at hiding her feeling and Joohyun fell for it. If only she didn't accidently saw Jisoo"s diary, Joohyun wouldn't know her sister was broken. Just like her before. Joohyun of course was mad at Jisoo. How can the same situation happened to both of them? And Jisoo didn't even think of sharing it with her. Joohyun won't understand if Jisoo didn't yelled at her.

"I'M HIDING IT BECAUSE I KNOW YOU SUFFERED TOO BEFORE! IF I KNEW THIS THING WILL HAPPEN TO ME TOO, I WOULDN'T BE GOING TO SOUTH KOREA!"

Joohyun was confused. She wanted to know the real reason why her sister left for South Korea but even after several fight with her sister, she didn't any information. Joohyun was about to let it go when something in her heart pushed her to go to Korea. To find this girl name Kang Seulgi. The girl who was mention in Jisoo's diary. That girl must be important for Jisoo because her name was mention numerous time. 

And so be it. Joohyun went to South Korea for her job duties also to find the girl. She need to bring that girl back to Jisoo. She wanted her sister to be happy. She doesn't want her sister to have a tragic love story like her. 

Present day

"Welcome back home, Joohyun-shi," said Minho after the got out from the car.

It still the same place when she left for USA. She wonder did her mom requested to let it be like this? Probably yes because her mom love this house very much that she would do anything to protect it. This house consist alot of memories of her family. Once before her biologycal father died, they built lots of memories in here. Joohyun could still remember everything and even after her mother remarried, they stilll stay here. 

"Can you take me to Seoul National Hospital? There is someone I wanted to meet"

"Yes, of course. I'll be waiting by the car. You can see around the house first"

"No. I'll just put my suitcase in my room and then you will take me to the hospital"

"Copy that, Joohyun-shi" 

Minho drive the car heading to Seoul National Hospital. While Joohyun on the passenger seats at the back, staring at the beautiful blue sky of Seoul. Coming to the hospital where she first met Jennie was the last place she'll ever wanted to be. Annoyingly, her friend work there as a neurosurgeon. It's been years ever since they met. They met during their university time in USA and after her friend finished her studies, she went back to Korea and eventually she work in the last place Joohyun wanted to be. 

When they arrived, Joohyun step out from the car and went to the customor service. 

"Hi, good morning. What can I help you today"

"I wanted to see Doctor Joy"

"Have you made an appointment?"

"I'm her friend. I wanted to come visit"

"Ah yes. May I know your name, Miss..."

"Irene"

"Okay please wait. I'll see if she's avaible"

Joohyun nodded. 

While waiting she decided to look around the hospital. It's been renovated. It has bigger ceiling and more floors than before in the past. Joohyun is curious if the hallway where she met Jennie is still there. She sigh. Coming back to South Korea is a difficult decision yet she still do it only for her sister. Standing right here in her hometown brings back memories of the old times. She wonder if Jennie is here in Korea. 

Part of her still miss that mandu girl but she must face the truth. Jennie doesn't want to meet her and probably she had moved on from her. Her heart still broken due to the fact but still she try to move on with her life. Look at her now. Coming back to Korea even though she knew how bad it could effect her mental. Joohyun wasn't the fragile girl anymore. She"s stronger and she believe she can get through all of this. Especially coming here was her plan to help her little sister. No personal issues can hold her to help her sister love life. 

She was day dreaming and she didn't realized someone was coming right to her. That's when she bump into that person and she went back to real life.

"I'm so sorry. I'm in a hurry right now. My cousin is in the emergency room," the girl apologise while giving Joohyun her hand to get back up.

"It's okay. I was day dreaming. It's my fault"

The moment Joohyun gets up, she paralize upon seeing those beautiful monolid eyes. She stood there staring at the girl who look much younger than her. There some kind of spark in her heart while both of them staring at each other. The girl infront of her look taller than her and she have a nice looking body. Joohyun didn't realize she was checking the girl out even when the girl infront of her wave her hand several times to get her attention.

"Miss Irene?" someone called Joohyun.

"Yes?" 

She turn around only to see the customor service called her and when she is about to turn around again, the monolid girl had left. There is a little sadness and disappointment but Joohyun let it go. After all, this whole meeting was a coincedence. Nothing much. She doesn't have to worry. Maybe she just miss Jennie's beautiful eyes that she think the other girl also have a beautiful eyes. 

"Doctor Joy is waiting for you in her office. She had finished surgery"

Joohyun nodded and follow the customer service to Joy's office room. 

 

On the other side~~~

That girl...she look a lot like Jisoo. No. You probably just miss her, Seulgi. Try to move on goddammit. Get yourself together! It's been years and you know that girl probably had moved on. You know how strong she is! Maybe it just a coincendence. Don't overthink it. You won't met at her after this. This world is big so no worries. There is probably a lot of people that look alike and you don't have to worry so much. Jeez, Seulgi. Thought Seulgi to herself.