The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 9

The Gangster Who Loved Me

When Sunggyu awoke the next morning he was surprised to find that he was lying in bed.  The last thing he remembered was that he was in the kitchen making Woohyun a cup of tea.  At the thought of Woohyun, Sunggyu jolted up only to discover that someone was holding onto his hand.

"Careful," spoke a voice, which he recognised belonging to the doctor.  "He's just fallen asleep."

"Sungyeol?" said Sunggyu, wondering why the doctor was there.  "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was comfortably in bed last night when I heard this banging at my door," said Sungyeol.  "Next thing I know, I was dragged here on his motorbike in the pouring rain, by the way.  Turns out you had a really high fever and he was panicking like it was the end of the world."

Upon hearing Sungyeol's words Sunggyu finally realised that the person holding his hand was Woohyun.

"I told him to keep an eye on you," Sungyeol continued.  "Who would have thought that he would actually stay up all night and do just that?"

Sunggyu could not help but feel guilty upon hearing that.  "Woohyun stayed up all night?"

"I watched him doze off just a few minutes before you woke up.  Looks like he finally reached his limit," said Sungyeol.  "I'm surprised he's not the one with the fever."
"Why would he-" Sunggyu began but was abruptly cut off.

"Yes, why exactly?" Sungyeol exclaimed.  "I thought you said that he was just a passerby.  Why would a passerby do all this for someone they barely know?  What's going on between you two?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "Nothing's going on between us."

"I know something's going on," Sungyeol insisted.  "I can smell it."

Sunggyu could only smile at Sungyeol's words.  "Who would want a blind old man like me?"

"Someone over there does," Sungyeol replied.


Woohyun jolted awake some time later and was shocked to see that he had somehow ended up in Sunggyu's bed while Sunggyu was nowhere to be seen.  He jumped out of bed in a panic and rushed out of the room only to bump into Sunggyu who was coming in to the room.  The collision caused Sunggyu to fall back but Woohyun grabbed his arm and pulled the older man towards him. 

Sunggyu took a moment to recollect himself until he realised that Woohyun's arms were wrapped around him.  He didn't know what to do or say so they remained standing there in silence. 

Woohyun stood face to face with Sunggyu.  They were standing so close that if he inched forward, their faces would touch.  Woohyun couldn't help himself.  The temptation was too great.  Before he knew it Woohyun felt himself slowly inching closer until their lips almost touched.  Sunggyu remained standing still, unaware of the situation in front of him.  At the eleventh hour, Woohyun finally realised his actions and quickly released the older man from his arms and took a step back.

"I'm sorry," Woohyun apologised.

Sunggyu smiled.  "You woke just in time," he said.  "I made lunch."

"I have to go," said Woohyun as he rushed out the door before Sunggyu could say anything.

After hearing the front door slam shut, Sunggyu heaved a deep sigh.


Outside the door, Woohyun stopped to catch his breath.  He touched his chest and felt his heart beating so fast.  It took a moment for him to settle down.  He almost did something unthinkable.  What frustrated him more was that he didn't know why.  What would have happened if he hadn't stopped himself in time?  Would he have really kissed the older man?  Deep down he someone knew the answer to that question would be yes.

What is wrong with you? he thought to himself.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

This is starting to sound like some romantic love story.