The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 23

The Gangster Who Loved Me

"Dongwoo, how did you know I was here?" Sunggyu asked.

"I saw that man leaving from here so I thought I'd see if you were here," said Dongwoo, sounding as though he was struggling to breathe.  "I can't get in contact with Woohyun.  Some dangerous people are after him.  I need to warn him.  I thought maybe he was with you."

Sunggyu lowered his head solemnly.  "They already took him," Sunggyu informed him.  "Woohyun was worried that they had done something to you.  Are you okay?"

Dongwoo smiled at Sunggyu, realising that the man could not see the bruise and cuts on his face.  "I won't die that easily," said Dongwoo, clutching at his stomach.  "I'm surprised they didn't kill me.  They just left me there after I out."

"Do you know who they were?" Sunggyu asked.

"I did some digging.  I found out that they're the Damyeon clan," Dongwoo informed.  "The most notorious clan around.  They're powerful and ruthless.  We've made enemies with lots of groups before but never the Damyeon clan.  I don't know why they would be after Woohyun.  If they've taken him, I'm going to get the guys and we're going to get him back."

"Let me come with you," Sunggyu pleaded.


Despite outnumbered, Myungsoo was a force to be reckoned with.  He struck down his enemies one by one but he did not escape unscathed.  Blood was streaming down the front of his shirt where a deep gash had opened across his chest but he had no time to worry about it.  He quickly made his way back to the apartment where he had left Sunggyu.

Upon arriving at the place, Myungsoo's eyes widened in horror when he saw the front door left ajar.  He rushed inside and searched for Sunggyu who was nowhere to be found.  Panic swept over him.  He was too late.

He raced back outside and began to feel lightheaded from the blood loss but he refused to give up.  He struggled with all his might to stay focused when he heard footsteps from behind.  He gripped his sword and turned around, ready to strike whoever it was but instead he felt his consciousness slipping away as he collapsed to the ground.  Exhaustion and blood loss had taken it's toll on him.  Just before he lost consciousness he saw a figure crouching down beside him and then darkness took over.


Dongwoo rode his motorcycle with Sunggyu sitting behind him.  Despite his attempt to stop Sunggyu, the older man was persistent.  On their way to meet up with the rest of Dongwoo's group, they soon realised that they were being followed.  A group of riders were close closing in on them and soon had the pair surrounded.  Dongwoo was forced to brake to avoid a collision.  The men rough looking men took out their weapons and approached the pair.

"Hand him over," demanded one of the men.

Judging from their words, Dongwoo realised that they were after Sunggyu.  He didn't understand why they would be after a blind old man.  In his current state, he knew that he could not take them on but he did not let that stop him.  He knew how important Sunggyu was to Woohyun and Woohyun was his best friend so he could not let anything happen to him.

"Why should I?" Dongwoo snapped.  "Who the hell are you?"

"Kiddo, you trying to claim the reward for yourself?" the man asked.

Reward? thought Dongwoo as he glanced at Sunggyu in confusion then back at the group of men.  There was a dangerous aura about these men, different from your usual thugs.

Without warning, the men charged at Dongwoo and though he was quick to react, his injuries meant he suffered several blows.  It was only during battle that Dongwoo realised that they were mercenaries.  While Dongwoo was kept busy, two men came and grabbed Sunggyu.  As they tried to pull him away, a figure appeared, slashing them with his sword.  As the two men fell to the ground, Sunggyu stumbled.  Just as he fell, he felt someone grabbing onto him and pulling him close.  Sunggyu gasped in surprise.  He knew this familiar scent.

"Woohyun?" said Sunggyu.

Before he could receive a reply, the group of mercenaries turned their attention to the pair and charged at them.  They were caught by surprise when a group of men in black suits armed with swords appeared beside the figure and stood as if waiting for something.

The figure turned towards the mercenaries and glared at them.  "Kill them," he ordered.

With those words, the men in suits rushed in to attack the mercenaries.