The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 16

The Gangster Who Loved Me

Hearing the sound of the engine roaring past, Sunggyu pushed Myungsoo back to break away from the kiss.  He was surprised and confused by Myungsoo's sudden actions.

"I'm sorry," said Sunggyu and he quickly walked away.

Myungsoo did not try to stop him.  He simply stood and watched in despair.


When Dongwoo arrived at the club, he found Woohyun sitting at the bar.  He was surprised to see Woohyun gulping down a drink before taking a drag on his cigarette.

"Should you be here?" Dongwoo asked, taking a seat beside him.  "I thought you gave up smoking and drinking."

Woohyun ignored him and continued to down another glass.

Dongwoo knew something was wrong.  He could tell from Woohyun's demeanor that he was angry.  Perhaps he shouldn't have told him about Sunggyu and the stranger after all.  He tapped his fingers on the counter in contemplation.

"Are you..." Dongwoo paused a moment in hesitation.  "Are you in love with that man Sunggyu?"

Woohyun froze upon hearing that question.

From Woohyun's reaction, Dongwoo didn't have to guess the answer.  "So even the Ice King can fall in love," Dongwoo teased.  "But it looks like you have competition.  If you like something then hang on to it.  If you're not careful, you'll lose it and then it'll be too late for regrets."

Woohyun looked at his friend, unable to believe that such words have come from his mouth.


A lone figure stood on the bridge, looking at the city below.  He was soon joined by a second figure.

"The big man is questioning our competence," informed the second figure.  "He's asking why it's taking so long."

"He's waited this long," said the first figure, eyes staring aimlessly into the distance.  "What's a few more days?"

The second figure sighed at his companion's lack of urgency or care.  "I know you don't care but he said if we can't get it done he's going to send in someone who can."

"Is he threatening me?" he asked.

The second figure shrugged nonchalantly.  "I mean he's right though.  How hard can it be for you?  Weren't you guys friends?"

He frowned at those words.  "We weren't friends."


He heard the knocking at the door and wondered who it could be at this late hour of the night.

"Who is it?" he asked as he made his way to the door.

There was no reply as the knocking continued.

The second he opened the door, he felt arms wrapped around him, pulling him close.  He felt lips pressed against his own, kissing him hungrily.  He was shocked and tried to push the person away, but with one arm bandaged it was futile.  He soon gave in when he recognised the familiar scent.  His arm dropped by his side as he parted his lips, allowing their tongues to intertwine.  After what seemed like an eternity they broke away from the passionate kiss, breathing heavily.

"I love you," said Woohyun.

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment.  "I'm a old man and blind too.  I'll only be a burden to you."

"You're not!" Woohyun shouted almost angrily as he embraced the older man.  "You're not a burden to me.  I'm sorry I said those things.  I didn't mean it."

Sunggyu reached out his hand to gently pat Woohyun's head with a smile upon his face.  "I know," he said.

Woohyun looked at him.  "You're not angry?"

Sunggyu shook his head.

"Then who was that man you were with?" asked Woohyun.

Sunggyu thought for a moment.  "You mean Myungsoo?  He's just being nice because he feels responsible for crashing into me but it was my fault for not paying attention."

Woohyun looked down at Sunggyu's bandaged arm and gently touched it.  "Does it hurt?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "It's just a scratch."

There was a moment's hesitation before Woohyun could no longer hold it in.  "Why did you kiss him?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "I didn't," said Sunggyu, trying to explain himself.  "I-"

But before he could say another word Woohyun silenced him with a kiss.

"Don't let other people kiss you so easily," said Woohyun when they pulled apart.

Their conversation was interrupted when Woohyun's phone rang.  He tried to ignore it hoping that it would stop soon but the ringing continued.  He glanced at the name of the caller and sighed in frustration.

Why now? he thought as he answered the call but the voice on the other line was not who he thought it would be.

"Did you think you could hide forever?"