The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 5

The Gangster Who Loved Me

By the time he awoke, the day was almost over.  He looked at his watch and quickly rushed out the door.  He rode his motorcycle to the usual street but he was not prepared for the sight that greeted him.  The stall was smashed to pieces with the fruits and vegetables scattered on the ground.  The nearby stall owners only stood and watched as the man was on the ground searching for something.  Seeing the man on his hands and knees searching helplessly brought a pain to his chest.  He immediately got off his motorcycle and rushed over to the man.  Nearby, he saw what the man was searching for and picked it up.  He crouched down beside the man and held the walking stick out in front of him.

"Here," he said softly.

The man flinched upon hearing his voice.

"Your stick," he said as he guided the man's hand to hold onto his stick.

The man breathed a sigh of relief.  "Thank you."

He carefully helped the man up as the man held onto his arm for support.  The moment he looked into the man's eyes, his heart ached.  Such beautiful eyes, he thought, though a pity they could not see.

His eyes narrowed in anger when he saw the bruise on the side of the man's face and trickle of blood on the man's lips.  Unconsciously, he reached out a hand and touched it, causing the man to flinch.

"I'm sorry," he apologised as he quickly withdrew his hand.  "It must be painful."

The man managed a smile.  "It's nothing."

"Who did this?" he asked.

The man shook his head.  He knew but did not want to involve a stranger.  "Thank you for your help but it's nothing for you to be concerned about."

He frowned at the man's words.  Of course he was concerned.  "Let me take you to the hospital."

"There's no need," the man insisted.  "It's only a small wound.  I'm okay."

"You're bleeding," he snapped angrily.

The man was taken aback by the stranger's tone.  It's true that he was bleeding but the small cut on the lip was not of great concern.  Why was this stranger so angry?  Why was he so concerned about him?

"I'm sorry for raising my voice," he apologised when he saw the surprised reaction on the man's face.

"There's a a small clinic nearby," said the man, finally giving in to the stranger's persistence.


The small clinic was only a short walk from the stall.  It was hidden in an alley with no signage out the front.  If you did not know that it was there, you would easily pass it.  They rang the door bell and waited.  They heard locks unlocking from behind the door before it opened.  A tall man with messy hair stood at the door, yawning.  He looked like he had been sleeping.

"Sunggyu!" the tall man exclaimed when he saw the sight of the man.  "What happened to you?"  Before the man could answer, the tall man glanced over to the stranger standing beside him.  "Who's this?"

"I ran into some trouble and this kind gentleman helped me here," replied the man.

"Are you a doctor?" the rider asked.

The tall man looked at the stranger dressed in black leather.  He could smell cigarettes and alcohol from the stranger who wore a cold expression upon his face.  There was a dangerous aura about him but Sunggyu seemed to trust him. 

"Yes," the tall man finally answered.  "Despite my appearance, I'm an excellent doctor who can even bring back someone on the brink of death."

"Then I leave him in your care.  Please take care of him," said the rider, handing over a handful of cash much to the doctor's surprise.  "I have something I need to do."
He quickly turned to leave but stopped when he heard Sunggyu call out to him.

"Please wait," said Sunggyu.  "Even though I can't see you, I would at least like to know the name of the person who helped me."

He contemplated a moment before he answered, "Woohyun."