The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 28

The Gangster Who Loved Me

The leader frowned in anger when he saw that Woohyun had taken the bullet for Sunggyu.  He took aim and intended to fire another shot but the masked figure charged at him and knocked the gun out of his hand.

"Bringing a gun to a sword fight is cheating, commander," said the masked figure as he followed through with a swing of his sword at the leader's throat.

The leader drew out a second gun concealed behind his back and fired a shot.  At such close range, the masked figure was unable to block it.  The bullet hit him in the arm.

"I've been careless," said the masked figure as he took a step back and glanced nonchalantly at the bullet wound.  "Should have known you're a cunning man."

The leader fired several more shots at him but the masked figure deflected them with his blades.  When he was out of bullets, the leader tossed the gun aside and finally drew out his sword.  The two charged into battle.

When the masked figure glanced back at Sunggyu and Woohyun, he saw the men approaching them.  Sunggyu seemed unaware of the situation as he sat there cradling Woohyun in his arms.  The masked figure swiped his blade at the leader to create distance between him.  When the leader evaded the blade, the masked figure rushed over to Sunggyu and Woohyun, striking down those in his way.  He stood in front of the pair while facing his enemies who were closing in on them.

"Sunggyu, listen carefully," said the masked figure.  "Woohyun is losing a lot of blood and won't last much longer.  He needs help fast but we're surrounded by hundreds of members of the special forces who all want to kill you.  If you die, Woohyun too will die.  I cant hold them back forever.  What are you going to do?"

Sunggyu was quiet for a moment as he listened to the words of the masked figure.  "It really is you," he said, finally able to confirm the familiar voice.  "You're a mercenary?"

"That's right," replied the masked figure.  "I'm a mercenary just as you were once the mighty captain of the special forces.  Just because you can't see, doesn't mean you can't kill.  Your mind may not remember but your body would not forget how to hold a sword."

With those words, the masked figure went forward to battle against the men.  He fought off those attempting to come near Sunggyu who looked as though he was in deep contemplation.  Sunggyu searched the ground until his hands touched the sword beside Woohyun.  His fingers slowly traced the blade until he reached the hilt.  Taking a deep breath, he wrapped his fingers around the hilt and gripped it.  He could not recall ever holding a sword before but the moment his hand gripped the hilt he felt a sense of familiarity.

With the sword in hand, he slowly stood up.  All around him was darkness.  He could not see his enemies yet he could sense them around him.  He calmed his mind and focused on the sounds.  The clashing of steel upon steel, the heavy breathing of those engaged in battle and the anxious breaths of those surrounding him.  He could hear them loud and clear.

Seeing Sunggyu standing with a sword in his hand, one man charged at him.  Sunggyu raised his sword in the direction of the man approaching him.  With a flick of his wrist, he struck the man down, much to the disbelief of everyone who witnessed it.  After the initial shock, the rest of the men advanced on Sunggyu who struck them down one by one.

Hearing the commotion behind him, the masked figure glanced to see Sunggyu taking out his opponents with a sword in his hand.  Old habits die hard, he thought seemingly pleased at the sight.

The leader seemed surprised to see Sunggyu taking on his men.  Word was that Sunggyu was blind and had lost his memory.  He was no longer the Sunggyu of the past.  Yet, now he was witnessing the blind man kill his men.  He wanted to rush over to take on Sunggyu but was stopped by the masked figure.

"Why must you interfere?" the leader asked as their blades clashed once again.

"Why are you so eager to kill him?" the masked figure asked.  "Is it because he's a threat to you?  If his memory returns then he could expose you?"

"He's a traitor!" replied the leader angrily.  "Traitors must die!"

The two separated and clashed yet again in a deadlock before for several minutes before the leader struck his sword at the masked figure to create distance.  He then rushed over to Sunggyu.

Upon hearing the leader approaching, Sunggyu raised his sword to block the blade aimed at his back.  The masked figure stood and watched as the pair clashed swords.  The leader was pressing hard with every attack aiming to kill but Sunggyu was able to hold his own against the man.

"You should have died that day!" said the leader as he swung his sword.

The masked figure watched as the pair struck their swords, plunging it at each other.  There was a moment of silence as the pair stood still with their opponent's sword protruding from their backs.

After a moment the pair collapsed to the ground as the sound of engines roaring echoed in the sky.  Dongwoo and his group of riders had arrived at the scene to take on the rest of the special forces.