The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 27

The Gangster Who Loved Me

Woohyun and Sunggyu hadn't gotten far when they were confronted by a group of of armed masked men in black.  Unlike the mercenaries, the group of masked men all wore the same outfit and held the same weapon.  Woohyun did not have much strength left but even so he did not surrender.  He stepped in front of Sunggyu and held out the sword in his hand as he prepared to face his enemies.

Just as both sides were about to clash, Woohyun heard footsteps approaching from behind him.  He glanced back and saw a masked figure wielding two swords.  The lone masked figure was dressed differently to the group of masked figures blocking his path.  Woohyun figured that he was probably a mercenary after Sunggyu.

When the group of masked figures charged at the pair, so too did the lone masked figure.  Woohyun gripped his sword and glanced back and forth, ready to strike whichever side reached him first.

It seemed the lone masked figure was much quicker.  In a flash, he had reached Woohyun.  Woohyun raised his sword, ready for the attack.  Surprisingly, the lone masked figure rushed passed him and attacked the group of masked figures heading towards them.

Woohyun stood and watched in confusion as the lone masked figure struck down the group of masked figures.  Was he helping them?  Why would he help them?  The answer was that he was a mercenary who did not like to share.  To a mercenary anyone after the same reward would be considered an enemy.  Furthermore, in his current state, Woohyun posed no threat to him.

Judging by the lone masked figure's skills with the two swords, Woohyun figured that he was a strong opponent.  Each opponent that crossed swords with him, fell dead to the ground. Before long, the last opponent fell.

The lone masked figure turned back to face Woohyun and Sunggyu.  A heavily wounded young man being supported by a frantic blind man.  As he walked towards them, Woohyun raised his sword ready to attack.

"How dare you kill my men?" spoke a voice.

They all turned to look in the direction of the voice where they saw more masked men armed with swords.  One figure stood out from the others.  He looked to be the leader of the group.

"The $50 million reward is standing in front of you, yet you go and kill my men?" said the leader.  "What kind of a mercenary are you?"

The masked figure laughed.  "It's true that I'm a mercenary but who said that I was after the reward?"

Upon hearing those words Sunggyu jolted in surprise.  He recognised that voice yet those words did not make any sense to him.  There was no way it was possible.

"You see I'm a curious person with a lot of free time on my hands," said the masked figure.  "Offering such a large reward, sending in your special forces and even personally coming to deal with it yourself.  All this for a blind man.  Don't you think it's overkill, commander?"

The masked figure's words surprised Woohyun and Sunggyu.

"A mercenary who kills for money should not ask questions," said the leader.

"My curiosity got the better of me," replied the masked figure.

"Your curiosity will get you killed," said the leader.

With those words, the leader signalled for his men to attack.  The masked figure raised the two swords in his hands and rushed to battle them.

Sunggyu seemed anxious as he listened to the sounds of the swords battling against each other.  "Woohyun, who is that mercenary?" he asked, hoping that Woohyun could confirm his suspicion.

"I don't know," Woohyun replied, glancing at the masked figure.  "He-"

Woohyun's words were cut short.  His eyes widened in horror.  He immediately stepped over to stand in front of Sunggyu.  There was a loud bang.  The sound of a gun shot.  Woohyun fell back against Sunggyu who cradled the fallen man in his arms.

"Woohyun!"