The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 8

The Gangster Who Loved Me

Woohyun stood and watched as Sunggyu disappeared into a room and returning a moment later with a towel in his hand.  He was impressed at how easily Sunggyu was able to navigate his way inside the small home.

"Here you go," said Sunggyu.  He held out the towel in front of him, hoping that it was in the right direction since Woohyun was too quiet for him to pinpoint his location.

"Thank you," said Woohyun as he reached out to take the towel from Sunggyu's hand.

"Let me go make you a hot cup of tea," said Sunggyu.

"It's okay, there's no need to," said Woohyun but Sunggyu had already made his way into the kitchen.

Woohyun glanced around the room and noticed a photo frame on a shelf.  He walked over towards it for a closer look.  He recognised Sunggyu in the photo who hadn't changed much and still wearing his dark sunglasses.  Beside him was an old couple.  He figured they were Sunggyu's parents.  They were all smiling happily which brought a smile to his face until he heard the sound of something shattering.

He immediately ran into the kitchen.  His eyes widened with shock at what he saw.  There was a broken mug on the floor and beside it he found Sunggyu lying unconscious.  Woohyun rushed over to Sunggyu's Sunggyu, frantically checking for the older man's pulse.  He breathed a sigh of relief when he found it.  He noticed Sunggyu's flushed face.  He placed a hand over Sunggyu's forehead and panicked.  He immediately scooped Sunggyu up in his arms and carried him into the bedroom.  He carefully placed Sunggyu on the bed before rushing out the door in the heavy rain.


All he could hear was the continuous banging on his door.  He tried to ignore it, hoping that whoever it was would eventually go away but the banging continued.  He groaned in frustration and got up.

"Someone better be dying," he said as he opened the door to find Woohyun standing there looking like a drenched cat.


Woohyun could do nothing more than stand and watch anxiously as the doctor tended to Sunggyu.  Though he was the one most drenched in rain, he didn't seem to care about himself, even as he stood, hair dripping wet.  His attention was focused on Sunggyu.

"Alright," said the doctor.  "Let's just hope that his fever goes down by the morning."

"Is he going to be alright?" Woohyun asked.

"That depends," the doctor replied with a gleam in his eyes.  "On how good you are at taking care of him."  He got up and yawned.  "Keep an eye on him.  If his fever goes up, call me instantly.  I'm taking the sofa."

When the doctor left the room, Woohyun sat down on the chair beside the bed.  He stared silently at Sunggyu's serene sleeping face for a moment before he slowly reached out and held onto Sunggyu's hand.  Clutching Sunggyu's hand tight, he sat and watched over him.


The rain carried on throughout the night.  The doctor awoke amidst his sleep and panicked for a second until he remembered where he was and why he was there.  Curious, he got up from the sofa and quietly made his way to the bedroom where the door was left ajar.  He peered inside and saw Woohyun still sitting beside the bed watching over Sunggyu, just like he had asked him to.

That idiot, thought the doctor.  Is he really planning to stay up all night?

Truth be told, he had already stabilised Sunggyu's condition.  A good sleep and his fever should go down by the morning.  There was really no need for Woohyun to stay up and watch over him like a hawk watching his prey.  He only said that to see what Woohyun would do.  He didn't expect Woohyun to actually carry it out.

He let out a sigh and was about to step inside when he caught sight of Woohyun's hand holding onto Sunggyu's hand.  He halted in his step.  The dangerous aura that he felt from Woohyun earlier had disappeared only to be replaced by the look of a lovesick puppy.  The way Woohyun looked at Sunggyu so lovingly made the doctor hesitate.  Somehow it didn't seem right for him to disturb the pair so he returned to his sofa.