The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 20

The Gangster Who Loved Me

Sunggyu knew that there was nothing he could do so he sat and waited for the end.  He felt the touch of cold steel at his throat.  He braced himself for what was to come.  Seconds passed then minutes.  Besides Sunggyu's heavy breathing from the pain in his chest, there was only silence.  Sunggyu wondered what his attacker was waiting for.

The figure stood with his sword at Sunggyu's neck.  A flick of his wrist and his blade would end everything yet he could not bring himself to do it.  He glanced down at Sunggyu's chest and saw the blood staining his shirt.  Seeing Sunggyu in such a state pained him.

They remained like that until they heard footsteps approaching.

"What are you waiting for?" the second figure asked upon arriving at he scene and seeing his companion's hesitation.  "Kill him!"

Upon hearing the voice of the second attacker, Sunggyu feared for Sungyeol's safety.  He felt helpless and powerless.  If his death would end everything then so be it.  He didn't want anyone else to be hurt because of him.

"Go ahead," said Sunggyu softly.

Hearing those words from Sunggyu brought conflicting emotions to the figure.  He couldn't bring himself to accept that Sunggyu was giving up so easily?  "Why?  Why are you like this?" he asked Sunggyu.

Sunggyu frowned in confusion, not understanding the figure's words.

"If you won't do it then I will!" declared the second figure as he held out his sword and rushed over to Sunggyu.

He swung his sword at Sunggyu but the sound of steel clashing against steel had him frowning.  His companion had blocked his sword.  With their swords in a lock, the two figures engaged in a battle of strength.

"What do you think you're doing L?" the second figure asked.

"I can't let you kill him," replied the figure, using his sword to block for Sunggyu.

"If you do this, you'll be considered a traitor like him," warned his companion.  "I'll have to kill you too."

"You can try," he replied calmly.

All Sunggyu could hear now was the sounds of steel crashing against each other.  Again and again.  Who were these people?  Why were they after him?

The two figures were engaged in a heated battle.  Though they both fought well with a sword, the difference could be seen when one knocked his opponent's sword away.  Before his opponent could recollect himself, he ran his sword though his opponents chest, the blade protruding from his opponents back.

"You're a hundred years too early to defeat me," he whispered to his opponent before he pulled his sword out.

Blood gushed out as his opponent fell to the ground.  He turned away and walked over to Sunggyu.  He crouched down beside the older man and gently touched Sunggyu's shoulder.  Sunggyu flinched at the touch, not knowing who it was.

"It's okay," he said softly.  "I'm not going to hurt you."

Sunggyu was a quiet for a moment.  Though he could not see, he knew that voice and who it belonged to.  "Myungsoo?"

The figure pulled his mask off as if to confirm Sunggyu's question.  "It's me."

After hearing those words, Sunggyu collapsed into Myungsoo's arms.


In the large hall of the mansion, men in black suits lined the path as he walked, escorted by four men.  The place was heavily guarded.  He couldn't run even if he wanted to.  He wouldn't escape.

When he arrived at the double doors of a room, the two men guarding it opened it.  He stood there contemplating a moment.  Letting out a defeated sigh he finally stepped inside.

Seated at the desk was an old man smoking a cigar.  Beside the old man, was the young man who had threatened Sunggyu with a gun to his head.  The young man flashed him a smile which irritated him.  He returned it with a death glare.

"If looks could kill, I would probably be dead," joked the young man.

"Your methods were a bit extreme, were they not?" the old man asked.

"You did say by all means, Sir," replied the young man.

"Ah, so I did," laughed the old man.

The fury inside him was boiling while standing there listening to their exchange.

"So, have you made up your mind?" the old man asked.

He nodded.  "I'll do what you want but on one condition."