The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 11

The Gangster Who Loved Me

Woohyun looked at the plates of food on their table and wondered how they were going to finish them.  It seemed Sunggyu went a little overboard with the ordering.  He seemed to know all the dishes without having to look at the menu.

"You must eat here often," said Woohyun.

Sunggyu nodded with a smile.  "The food is good and it's cheap."

"You ordered a lot," Woohyun commented.

"You should eat a lot then," said Sunggyu.  "You shouldn't just smoke and drink all the time.  It's not good for your health."

"You're worried about my health?" Woohyun asked with surprise.

Sunggyu nodded until he realised something.  "I'm sorry for overstepping my boundaries.  I have no right to tell you what to do."

"Not at all," said Woohyun.  I'm happy, he thought, too afraid to say it out loud.


It was late by the time they finished dinner.  The streets were quiet as they walked back to Sunggyu's stall where Woohyun had parked his motorcycle.

"I'll take you home," said Woohyun.

Sunggyu knew better than to argue so he simply nodded.

Woohyun grabbed his helmet and walked over to stand face to face with Sunggyu.  Just as Woohyun was about to place his helmet on for Sunggyu, they heard footsteps approaching.  Woohyun glanced over and saw a group of rough looking men.  He frowned at them in annoyance.

"Look what we have here," one of the men teased.

When the group surrounded them, Woohyun grabbed Sunggyu and pulled the older man to stand behind him while he stood in front to confront the men.  Woohyun looked at the men, wondering if they were an enemy seeking revenge but couldn't make out which group they belonged to.

"Your wallets, hand them over!" demanded one of the men.

Sunggyu reached for his wallet but Woohyun stopped him.  "It's fine," said Sunggyu, not wanting the situation to escalate.  "It's just money.  There's not much of it anyway."

Woohyun glared at the men.  He wasn't going to let them have their way.

This angered the men.  "Trying to play hero?  Get him!"

The men held put weapons which were hidden behind their backs.  Woohyun was ready with his fists when the men advanced on them.  He took the group on, stopping anyone that came close to them.  Amidst the chaos Woohyun noticed that that while several of the men took him on, the majority of them seemed to be aiming for Sunggyu.  He figured that it was because Sunggyu was an easier target?  This angered him. 

He quickly knocked down the few men in his way and rushed over to Sunggyu.  He saw two men approaching Sunggyu from behind with a machetes.  At that moment, Woohyun felt fear for the first time in his life, feared for Sunggyu's safety.

Without hesitation, Woohyun lunged at the two men and reached out to grab the blades of the machetes just as they came down on Sunggyu's back.  Sensing someone behind him, Sunggyu turned around unaware of the situation.

"Woohyun?" said Sunggyu.

"It's okay, I'm here," Woohyun assured him with hands still grasping at the blade.

Despite his bleeding hands Woohyun snatched the machete from one of his attacker and struck it at the man whose eyes widened with fear.

"Please don't kill me!" the man pleaded, regretting his life choices.  "Someone asked us to do it."

With Woohyun's quick reflex, the blade stopped just as it touched the man's throat.  "Who?"  Woohyun demanded.

The man shook his head.  "I don't know.  We didn't see his face.  He just came offering us a bundle of money to mess with a brat and a blind guy.  We thought it was easy money."

Woohyun frowned, the anger raging inside him threatened to explode until he heard Sunggyu's voice.

"Woohyun," said Sunggyu, reaching out for him.

The minute Woohyun lowered the machete in his hand, the men fled the scene.  Woohyun ignored them and looked at Sunggyu, checking to see if the older man was injured.

"I'm here," Woohyun replied.  "Are you hurt?"

Sunggyu was more worried for the young man.  "Are you okay?" he asked as his hands managed to find Woohyun's arm.  His gasped when he felt Woohyun's hands.  "Your hands are bleeding?"

Woohyun immediately pulled his hand away from Sunggyu's grasp, not wanting the older man to worry about him.  "I'm fine.  Just a scratch," he replied as he glanced down at his chest.  At times like this, he was glad that Sunggyu could not see.


From a distance, hidden amongst the shadows a figure stood watching the scene with a frown upon his face.

"How far you've fallen."