The Gangster Who Loved Me - Chapter 18

The Gangster Who Loved Me

"Sunggyu, Sunggyu."

He heard someone calling his name.  A familiar voice.  He felt someone shaking his shoulders.  The pain in the back of his head was still throbbing.

"Sungyeol?" said Sunggyu.

Sungyeol helped him up from the floor and sat him on the sofa.  "What happened here?" he asked, glancing around at the the mess which was left behind.  "Are you okay?  I didn't see you at the stall today so I thought I'd come around to check.  How long have you been unconscious?"

Sunggyu immediately jolted as if he had just remembered something.  "Woohyun!  He's in trouble.  They took him.  We have to go find him," he said as he frantically tried to get up but was stopped by Sungyeol.

"They, who?" Sungyeol asked.

Sunggyu shook his head.

Sungyeol sighed.  "Then how are we supposed to find him?"

Sunggyu couldn't answer.  He knew Sungyeol was right.  For a blind person like him, what could he possibly do?  He couldn't even identify the people who took Woohyun.

"They must be terrifying people," said Sunggyu.  "Woohyun would rather not go to the hospital to avoid them and yet, he surrendered to them because of me."

Upon hearing Sunggyu blaming himself, Sungyeol let out a sigh.  "It's not your fault that he has a lot of enemies."

Sunggyu was quiet until a thought came into his mind.  "Ah, Dongwoo!" he exclaimed and grimaced while rubbing the back of his head.  "He's Woohyun's friend.  If we find him, he might know who they were and where they took Woohyun."

"Wait a sec," said Sungyeol, forcing him to sit back down again.  "Did you hit your head?"

"I'm fine," Sunggyu insisted.

"Let me take a look at it and afterwards I'll help you look for this Dongwoo."


For the rest of the evening Sungyeol accompanied Sunggyu in the search for Dongwoo.  It proved to be a difficult task when neither knew what Dongwoo looked like.  All Sunggyu knew was that he also rode a motorcycle like Woohyun.  They went to the stall to check but did not see any riders loitering around in the area.  They asked passersby but to no avail.

"It's getting late," said Sungyeol glancing at his watch.  "We need to have some dinner or I'm going to faint.  You too."

"You go," said Sunggyu.  He was not in the mood to eat at the thought of Woohyun in danger.  "I'm not hungry.  I'll continue to search."

Sungyeol sighed in frustration at his stubborn friend.  He wanted to continue with Sunggyu but his stomach was grumbling.  "Can we just stop for two seconds while I grab some food?"

Whilst Sungyeol stopped at a shop to order some food, Sunggyu grew impatient and decided to continue on ahead.  He walked while listening for any sounds of engines roaring.  The further he walked, the quieter it became until he heard footsteps from behind him.  At first he thought that it might be Sungyeol but his ears picked up a second set of footsteps.  He didn't think much of it and just assumed that they were heading in the same direction as him.

As he continued on he sensed that their pace matched his.  He was going at a slow pace but they did not overtake him.  He could not help but think that perhaps they were following him. 

"Sunggyu, watch out!" he heard a voice shout out from behind.

He turned around and felt the tip of a blade pierce his chest.  He was shocked.  His mind was blank.  In a panic, he dropped the walking stick in his hand and grabbed the blade to prevent it from plunging deeper into his chest. 

"I'm disappointed," said a voice.  "You're nothing like the rumours."