44 | False Alarm

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Behind every fear, there is a miracle waiting."
— Marianne Williamson

 

Su Min stared at the small window that revealed her fate. Instantly, her eyes swelled with tears—the kind that came crashing down and flowed unceasingly.

 

Dazed and afraid, she reached for the phone she used to time the damn thing and dialed his number.

 

She wasn’t sure what she was going to say. She couldn’t think of what she should do. How she should tell him. How she should explain. Her mind was empty.

 

The only thing she wanted was to hear his voice. To hear him tell her that it was okay. And that despite her mistakes, everything was going to be alright.

 

Waiting to hear his voice emerge from the other end of the line was torture. To Su Min, each ring felt like forever…the longest forever there was…until finally…

 

"Hello?" he answered cheerfully, yet no words escaped . Only her continuous sobbing.

 

"Hello? Su Min? Are you there? Hello?" he repeated after some seconds of silence had gone by. This time, his voice was a more serious and concerned.

 

"I…I need you," she finally managed to reply, almost gasping for air.

 

"Su Mi—ya! Are you okay? Answer me! Su Min!" she heard Chanyeol yell into the speakers, but nothing more after that.

 

She could only imagine how frantic he must have been, but she didn't have the energy to continue their conversation.

 

Su Min lowered her hand to back to her side just as everything became blurry once again.

 

Tears continued to fall.

 

The mind remained blank.

 

And her heart never stopped hurting.

 

Slowly, she backed away until her spine hit the wall. With no strength left in her, she slid down to the bathroom floor, staring ahead with her phone in one hand and the pregnancy test clasped tightly in the other.

 

|| …………… ||

 

By the time she heard lock click open, Su Min had already dragged herself out to the living room. The tears had ended, but she was still a little shaken. She couldn’t stop imagining how it would have been, if the result was just the opposite. How dramatically their lives would have changed.

 

She heard the door fly open soon after, followed by his shoes hitting the wall as he threw them off, and switched to the house slippers. His feet dragged across the dark wood floor as he briskly made his way over to where she was.

 

Chanyeol found her sitting on the sofa, leaning against the corner, hugging her knees, and staring at nothing. He quickly rushed to her side and sat down beside her, panicked and worried. "Are you okay? Does anything hurt?" he asked repeatedly as he cupped her forehead and compared her temperature with his.

 

Su Min refrained from answering and just tightened her grip, lowering her head in the process. Where does she even begin?

 

Realizing the situation was more emotional pain than physical, Chanyeol simply took her in his arms and hugged her securely.

 

Just like that, the tears resurrected.

 

Su Min clung on to his shirt and buried her head on his shoulder, trying her best to suppress her sobbing.

 

A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter