Chapter 5 - Mind

Until spring comes again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The light of the morning welcomed an unsettling feeling. The breeze dispersed the heavy air.

Chaeyoung's house wasn't bad, for now it was home, they didn't know what to exactly expect of that since home was supposedly a safe place.

It was the second day there, they were already packed up with needed stuff, Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung did their best to go unnoticed and buy things but all the time a sensation was making them doubt their safety and that was how they managed to occupy a big part of the afternoon. With the evening to restore their energies, Jeongyeon was watching the sunset and the stars that simply appeared on the night sky, she was sat near a window and with an envelope rested on her lap, wondering and dreaming about nothing much specific. It somehow reached through her ears a sound coming from downstairs that called attention, she assumed that it was Sana and her usual antics, the girl had this special way of doing things and surprising everybody so Jeongyeon just shook her head and tried to push some thoughts away, she was thinking too much about her.

A crack of the door of other room echoed through the hallway since Sana was no longer heard, Jeongyeon was with her door open so she was able to turn around and glace Mina leaving her room on the opposite side of hers. A thing was bothering her for a while, and it wasn't near simple so she glanced the envelope as known as the reason of her current worries and sighed, she was having some troubles to understand the information written on those files and she thought that maybe Mina could help her because, well, she honestly didn't want to ask Sana, or rather, she didn't want to be involved with her at all, in fact, she was avoiding the girl since their last talk. The reason not very much specified, her brain just didn't come with an idea about how to address to Sana after that night, maybe she wasn't much comfortable around her, and so Jeongyeon figured it was the best to talk with Mina about her mysterious envelope, or maybe even Chaeyoung for the time of desperation. After a few minutes, she finally let pride aside to walk downstairs to ask Mina for help.

She glanced the living room and saw Sana watching what looked like a horror movie before she moved to the kitchen to see Mina quietly sat and drinking what looked like tea, the sunset lights were still the only source illuminating the house so things weren't really clear, Jeongyeon cleared and walked in to sit near her. Mina only raised an eyebrow and glanced the content in her hands.

"Hi Mina, I need your help" Jeongyeon said sitting on a chair and putting the envelope on the table.

"Is this your father's envelope?" Mina assumed curiously.

"Yes"

"Right. What do you need my help with?" She asked taking another sip of her tea.

"I don't usually ask for help, but I need to understand this" Jeongyeon took the envelope and opened it to show the two files stored there, she then put both papers in front of Mina, that passed her eyes through them and recognized the reasons of the troubles.

"I can't read anything written there, I looked in several books and this language simply doesn't exist" Jeongyeon honestly said. Mina glanced between the other frowning and both papers on the table. She put her cup of tea down and analyzed the file curiously to end up widening her eyes when realizing what that was about.

"What?" Jeongyeon asked seeing her reaction. Mina could rapidly understand that Jeongyeon was nervous, she could hear the trembling in her voice and see the uneasy look on her eyes, of course, she was, since that mystery was the last thing her father left her before being killed, she had to figure that out. Mina glanced between both of the papers and connected them together to analyze better.

"I think your father wrote this one to you." Mina suddenly said showing one of the papers to her, the other one she preferred to leave aside. Jeongyeon felt a grip on her heart with the sudden subject, it made sense considering how the envelope was found but it was curious, almost like her father knew what was going to happen if he had time to leave such a thing. Mina noticed that the other was stiff on her place, it was a newly open wound that didn't had time to heal and maybe she was being too direct with that.

"The first one is written in a very odd language and I can't understand correctly either but the second one is recent and I can read clearly a message but it doesn't say much" Mina tried to explain better but not even her own thoughts were coming up with the confusing pieces of paper well written. Jeongyeon sighed with an audible breath.

"Your father, I assume, left you a message saying that you have to remember and find the truth, it's handwritten." Mina said showing her the document. In Jeongyeon's eyes, she just saw some parallel lines followed by random marks.

"Great... He couldn't have been clearer!" She sarcastically and a bit dramatically said.

"But why can't I see?" Jeongyeon mumbled taking the file.

'Why would he leave me a message that I can't read...'

"Maybe because it's magic. I can feel that it has magic properties but this is the only thing I can read, I think Sana can help-"

"Wait" Jeongyeon said. Mina was about to get up and call her friend when she held her wrist.

"I don't want to bother her with this." Jeongyeon said as the first excuse that came up in her mind.

Mina quickly came up with the situation and smiled a bit, it was in fact the first time that Jeongyeon really saw her showing the semblance of a smile.

"Are you avoiding her?" Mina asked throwing her cautious self through the window for a moment and being straightforward.

"N-no" Jeongyeon hesitated and let go of her wrist. Maybe Mina wasn't that easy to handle.

"I won't help you then" Mina said a bit teasingly, she was sure that the other was hiding something.

"What did I do?" Jeongyeon asked in disbelief.

"You're clearly lying to me." Mina said sitting down again.

"No, I'm not" Jeongyeon said crossing her arms.

"Fine, then, I'll call Sana." Mina said ready to leave again.

"Just... Hold on" Jeongyeon said giving up. The whole atmosphere changed in a second, it became heavy, she was letting her feelings overflow her best judgement and everyone was starting to seem like the enemy, but she could give a change at least to Mina since she was being honest.

"I'm sort of afraid. I don't know what to do" Jeongyeon let a weight fall from her shoulders, she sure didn't predict letting her frustrations being known by Mina but it was too late. Luckily, the girl understood and nodded, she also had her reasons to be scared, maybe Jeongyeon didn't want to face Sana at the moment.

"Now, can you help me here?" Jeongyeon ruffed changing her mood one more time, she didn't like to show weakness like that, even if Mina didn't seem to care if she was weak or not.

"Sure" She said, and Jeongyeon was relieved that she didn't start some sort of speech about how everything was going to be fine or some positive stuff to cheer her up, Mina wasn't the type to do that but she was a good listener and did understand very well what the other meant. Mina was comforting at least, while Sana was a whole new challenge and one her brain was refusing to accept while her heart was open to embrace, the duality was there and she doesn't know how a girl can make her so confused in such a short period of time.

"So, about this" Mina got back with the subject.

"It says that you should find something but it doesn't specify" She completed before analyzing again.

"That old man always liked riddles." Jeongyeon said annoyed.

"And he was sure that I was going to find this... So why can't I read it?" She said contemplating. Mina didn't specifically have an answer for that but she widened her eyes in realization.

"Oh, I know" She said smiling.

"You know what?"

"He knew you were going to discover things because of the way Mark died. He probably assumed that you would find out about magic and this paper" Mina smiled while tapping the other paper, the one she didn't understand yet.

"... Then, if he knew this was going to happen... Why didn't he save himself or something? Or even warned me before?" Jeongyeon said serious. Mina's smile fell with that. She frowned looking again at the paper.

"But he did want you to know, and find the thing of this letter, sooner or later"

They became silent, Jeongyeon took the paper in her hands again while Mina tried to discover about the other paper, it had a whole different aspect of writing, and marked the paper with shiny unknown letters.

"Remember" Jeongyeon mumbled. She rested her elbows on the table and held her head down to think.

The sound of footsteps didn't startle her at first, only when she listened the person stopping.

"What's happening here?" Sana asked noticing the worried atmosphere.

"We're cracking a mystery" Mina answered showing the papers.

"And why didn't you call me?" Sana asked kind of in disbelief like she was profoundly hurt with that.

"Well, I tri-"

"We didn't want to bother" Jeongyeon interrupted Mina and rolled her eyes.

"I'm really good with mysteries you know" Sana said.

"You really don't need to bother." Jeongyeon mumbled. It was the time for Sana to not to care and just smile. Mina was silently watching the interaction.

"So, what is this about?" Sana asked completely ignoring what Jeongyeon said.

Honestly, Sana felt that Jeongyeon didn't want to admit but she had something against her and she is trying to understand, maybe it is because Sana is in the center of their problems. That's one of the reasons she is blaming herself so much. Right then she just accepted and proceeded.

"The envelope her father left" Mina answered, Jeongyeon just crossed her arms in defeat. Sana reached first for the paper near Jeongyeon while reading the message there.

"What's the truth though?" Sana mumbled taping her chin.

"We're trying to find out" Jeongyeon said slowly taking the paper back from her.

"And I'm not included somehow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter