Chapter 4 - Limits

Until spring comes again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Roaming past empty streets made her think a lot, tired but too aware to close her eyes, Jeongyeon kept thinking repeatedly about the day she had.
The morning came fast. The roads were starting to fill while Jeongyeon passed through them. Of course, Mina even offered to drive in her place, she simply refused, and sleeping was not going to get them anywhere. With that, other town was reached, it wasn't too far but it took the whole night to get there, now she just had to wake the two sleeping girls on the backseat.
Jeongyeon parked the car in some empty parking lot and rested her head on the seat. The rear-view mirror was adjusted in a way she could see Sana's face and for a moment she couldn't help but stare, she was leaning against the window where her breath eventually left a soft mark, it looked calm and ordinary, something she realized the girl isn't.
'What are you in all of this?' Jeongyeon thought, sighing and looking away. She had more questions than answers and once they settle down, she was going to get some explanations.
Since the car was off, she opened her door to let the morning breeze get in a little, the air was heavy, she hung her head low and rested a bit while the sun rays spread through her frame, it was another fine day she knew it couldn't be enjoyed. Honestly, Jeongyeon didn't expect her stomach to growl loudly that hour, they hadn't eaten a thing earlier and she just started to remember that. She turned around to try to wake them up.
'How can anyone sleep in the car like that?' She thought, turning around and glaring at the duo.
"You two, wake up" Jeongyeon said shaking both of their shoulders lightly, Mina quickly grabbed her hand before she could do it again and narrowed her eyes.
"We are here." Jeongyeon said freeing herself of the grip.
"And we need to eat before going wherever we're going" She said taking her attention elsewhere. Mina hummed and watched while Jeongyeon opened the briefcase by her side on the passenger sit and took some money.
"Let's buy some stuff to eat." She said about to exit the car, that moment Sana was still incredibly fast asleep.
"Stay, I will go" Mina said stopping her by holding her shoulder.
"Why? I can go, it's fine" Jeongyeon said.
"We don't know if we're being followed, right? So being alone isn't an option"
"And what makes you want to go alone?"
"I know martial arts." Mina said crossing her arms.
"And? I also can throw a really good punch." Jeongyeon said. Mina was starting to dislike her.
"Just stay with her ok? I need to go to the bathroom" Mina said sighing, the other finally gave up and handled her the money since she insisted, Mina could be stubborn when she wanted and Jeongyeon is starting to think that she is not in a good mood.
Once Mina disappeared from her sight, Jeongyeon started to tap her fingers impatiently on the steering wheel, it was kind of cold and she was grumpy for being hungry. Sana started to wake up, blinking open her eyes. She yawned and stretched her arms before looking around.
"Where's Mina?" She asked rubbing her eyes.
"Went to buy some food" Jeongyeon answered still taping the steering wheel.
"Thank God" Sana gasped relieved since all she could think was food at that moment. She checked the surroundings and didn't recognize the place, she nodded with herself thinking that her new life would be full of new places. After a while, they were silent, Sana was too busy trying to fix her hair, and she wasn't talking so it was weird because Jeongyeon quickly learned from her brief time with them that Sana really enjoyed her own voice, not that it was a bad thing. Jeongyeon decided to let that go since the other was quiet and she looked attentively at the envelope inside of the open briefcase, she was reluctant to know what those files said. Little by little, her attention unconsciously turned to the girl in the backseat again. Sana was looking uninterested out of the window.
"Why are they after you two?" Jeongyeon broke the silence. She realized that she doesn't know much about Sana.
"Maybe they think I'm cute." Sana said not minding much, again, Jeongyeon just didn't understand her.
"Kidding" She completed.
"Sana, right? I have no time for jokes so I just want to understand why this is happening" Jeongyeon said looking down sadly. Sana nodded.
"Minatozaki Sana, nice to meet you" Sana said with a bright smile and standing her hand.
"Yoo Jeongyeon" She said and shook her hand.
"Ok, Jeongyeon. Think with me a little, even though it's still morning" She mumbled the last words.
"Magic is real and that's great but we can't use much, we have laws you know. This is a world where we have powers but can't use them properly, it has something to do with balance, I don't understand for sure either." Sana said taping her chin.
"So, what's my part in all of this?" Jeongyeon said, she was starting to get sad and the confusion wasn't helping.
"We have a record of the families with magic properties in our community. According to my father, you're one of them"
"... But you don't have magic. Don't worry about it, it's odd but it's fine... I think" Sana said nodding her head.
"And you?" Jeongyeon asked. Sana hummed. She looked far away and saw Mina getting closer to them with bags in her hands.
"My powers are wider than the others. It's like, having an access gate to magic and mine is just bigger I guess. It's rare but it happens, it also has a lot of consequences and that's one of the reason why we're being pursued" Sana said hoping to clarify things, she can only imagine how Jeongyeon must be feeling.
"So, what can you do?" She asked arching one of her eyebrows.
"I think I passed out earlier, right? I have to make some efforts to use it." Sana explained.
Mina walked closer and entered the car. Sana clapped her hands with the sight and smell of food filling the air.
"You stopped the explosion." Jeongyeon mumbled remembering.
"Actually, I just stopped us from being harmed but, I also closed the front door, grabbed Mina's keys, and opened the backdoor before moving the furniture to cover the window for us to run, that's why I passed out" Sana said not making much of it but still, Jeongyeon widened her eyes.
"I'm not stupid you know." She said giggling.

"How?"
"With my mind" Sana said taping her temple.
"And what about her?" Jeongyeon asked referring to Mina that was sitting beside Sana.
"She is my best friend." Sana said starting to eat.
"Myoui Mina. And I'm also her body guard now, sort of" Mina completed.
"Right" Jeongyeon said more clarified, although, she doesn't see how all of that has to do with her being with them after all, she still had nothing to do with that. She just looked away thinking.
"And who are we running from? And how all this begun?" She asked the biggest inquires in her mind. Mina put her food aside and thought about it, she realized that she could at least answer that.
"It all began when they started to suggest that everyone must know about magic, it was crazy, we can't let this happen. And then they discovered about Sana and now they want to steal her power, it's complicated" Mina said reasonably, she has a sweet and calm voice but Jeongyeon can tell that she is worried. She hummed.
"Ok, but who?" She asked. Sana gave a look at Mina, which nodded in response.
"Yugyeom, BamBam and JaeBum, they are commanding everything" Sana answered.
"Who are they? Where they came from? And you know all of them?"
"Everybody knows who they are, they usually scare people. They're also part of the community" Sana said.
Jeongyeon nodded, she looked in front of her and adjusted her seatbelt.
"You're not eating?" Sana asked her.
"Not hungry" Jeongyeon said turning the engine on, her stomach was growling but she didn't want to eat.
"Where to now?"
"I know a place we can go" Mina said for their relief.
The sound of the wheels sprinting out of the place was all they heard. It was a calm and peaceful town, Mina expect to find her friend and ask for help along with Sana while Jeongyeon is lost, helplessly think what she is going to do with her life after that, so much changed and so fast that her thoughts couldn't come up with the idea of having nowhere to go after.
.
The police were still looking for Jeongyeon, and with the incident in Sana's house, she was only being played guilty more and more on the detective's eyes. The truth started to be distant from the theories inside their minds. Bigger lies were starting to be told. The murder weapon was never found and the chase just began to them, kidnapping was being considered when Sana was nowhere to be seen and that was just one more thing that the police was blaming Jeongyeon for, little did they know that she was just another victim.
.
.
.
"Hey, Mina" Sana said softly, the tiredness was starting to get to her again. Mina hummed creasing her eyebrows, breaking her gaze from the not so interesting car window.
"My parents?" Sana asked. Mina shook her head.
"They covered up the accident. It was like it never happened. I looked everywhere." Mina said pointing at her cellphone.
"But they can still be alive, right?"
"Right" Mina said not so sure about it.
Jeongyeon was listening attentively their talk, she glanced the rear-view mirror and saw Sana turning her head to look at road, she looked so sad. Jeongyeon bit her lip and looked away, Sana still had that aura that made her wonder a lot about her and it wasn't helping since she understands that she has to leave Sana sometime.
Mina precisely gave the directions to her friend's house, they were probably getting there after some more minutes of driving, the atmosphere was so silent, Sana even asked Jeongyeon to turn some music on in the middle of the way to ease the tension.
Until Jeongyeon received a call.
She slowed the speed of the car and rapidly grabbed her phone when she saw who was calling.
"Jackson?" She asked.
*"Jeong? Where are you?! Something terrible happened!"* Jackson said with a hint of desperation.
"What happened?!"
*"Some tough guys showed on our doorstep and beat the hell out of Jinyoung! He is really bad right now!"* Jackson said almost shouting.
'' Jeongyeon thought grinning her teeth in anger.
"Did they say anything?"
*"I don't know, I came home and found Jinyoung bleeding to death, he was the one who told me about the guys"* Jackson said exhaling deeply.
"They will pay for it." Jeongyeon said gripping the steering wheel tightly.
*"The police is here saying that you killed that dude! A-and-"*
"Calm down Jackson. Tell them everything and that I killed no one. Just do me the favor to ask them for protection." Jeongyeon said.
*"I-I believe in you and I'll do that"*
"Do they know that you're calling me?"
*"No"*
"Ok, don't tell them and erase the call history of your cellphone"
*"Ok"*
"Stay out of trouble and if the tough guys ever search for you, call the police immediately. I'll be fine" Jeongyeon said and hang up, she was getting furious and it was starting to consume her. She was never an angry person before but she surely lacks patience and everything was just so confusing that she wanted to shout. It was like walls were closing around her, suffocating.
>>>>>>
Eventually, they got into some dark street in the shady side of the town, Jeongyeon was surprised that a girl like Mina had friends in those areas, but well, she barely knows the girl. The fuel of the car was starting to end. The place would be their final destination because of that. Jeongyeon parked the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter