Chapter 1 - Pieces

Until spring comes again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was late, the clock was ticking.

Stepping carefully on the tiles of the early cleaned kitchen floor, Jeongyeon waited, she sighed letting her shoulders drop of tiredness, the smell of the floor cleaner evaded every corner, her eyes starting to close by their own as she sat on a counter, waiting for the hour to pass, she was starting to feel sleepy. Still, it had to be done, or her father was going to complain again for the job she had to do.
She thought about random subjects that only mattered to her until an intriguing sound suddenly came through a window, the night was calm and it made every little noise echo in between those four walls.
The monotonous feeling lingered in the air that time of the night, Jeongyeon knew she always had to wait to finally go home and crash on her bed. After a while, the clock signalized the end of her shift and she closed the heavy glass doors of the restaurant before leaving by the backdoor. She sighed one more time before giving a look at the place, it belongs to her father and she was working there for a while after her plan to grow in life didn't work. Every day she thinks about if that decision was the right one and she's bound to spend the rest of her days like that.
The noises of the too much empty street around that corner made her bothered somehow, like an unexpected feeling of awareness. It was dark, only one streetlight on and the moonlight to cover the sidewalk she was passing by.
With her hands tucked on her pockets, Jeongyeon grabbed her cellphone to give another look at the hour.
"3AM, great" She whispered under her breath.
It was as if her steps could be heard from miles away, coming through the each sides of the block. Jeongyeon quickly arrived in front of her car, fumbling to find the keys on her pockets. She failed to notice the strange presences near her that didn't make a sound until then.
Suddenly, a light shone behind her back, reflecting on her eyes for a just second, so bright, almost blinding if it look at it too long compared with the darkness of the place. She turned around in scare and quickly a scream encountered her ears.
"Help!" A male voice came from an alley about ten steps far. Jeongyeon gulped down and stared blankly in front of her. Although being aware that it would do no good following that kind of thing at that hour of the night, curiosity beat her to it and with light steps, she followed the noise but her attention and heartbeat suddenly perked up by the sound of two gunshots coming from the same place, she completely froze.

.

One shoot in the shoulder and one in the heart. The almost lifeless body flopped on the ground before leaving his last of breath, his hair mixing with his blood, his hands covering his exposed wound, Mark gazed the shooter that was distancing from the scene and for a moment, he saw the guy turning the corner with a smirk on his face. With the last bit of his strength, he stained his fingers with blood seeing the chance to leave a hint or at least a piece of hope for anyone that discovered about his most likely death. But, that was the kind of hint that tricked the eyes of whoever scan it, the sign of the ones able to see, the ones determined to protect their secret with all cost. At least he did that, the police would never know about it because of its magic properties, only the ones that belong to their so called hidden society would be able to realize that that wasn't just a murder but and assassination seeking for a bigger conflict. The not far from death guy enchanted the symbol to disguise from the curious eyes of the people without a trace of magic. Their secret must be kept and the person who killed him must pay.
As the shooter, he was long gone after he left the place, he actually found exactly what he was looking for, a curious Jeongyeon that was too naive and saw the body in the alley, and for that, she received the purpose she didn't expected to have and ended up being enchanted and fooled by the killer to forgot that something ever happened.

>>>>>>

The next morning was normal, at least for her. Jeongyeon woke up, her head hurting a little. She just got up because she knew that work was waiting for her, like every normal day.

"You were so weird yesterday" Jackson exclaimed when Jeongyeon got in the kitchen.

"What?" Jeongyeon asked looking around for her mug.

After a hard situation she passed she decided to live with her friends, Jackson and Jinyoung which by the way were doing breakfast that hour, Jinyoung was too focused trying to flip a pancake to pay attention on both.
"You were like a zombie" Jackson said and did a poor imitation of one of those TV monsters.
"Really? I don't even remember coming home." Jeongyeon said more to herself before sitting on a chair to wait for her food.
"Just tell me what you are smoking to get that high." Jackson said wiggling his eyebrows. Jinyoung glared the duo and also sat down to eat, the kitchen was a mess because they tried to cook being who they are but the food was smelling so good that Jeongyeon contained herself of scolding them about hygiene. Sometimes she wonders why they are the only friends she has.
"I'm not you." Jeongyeon said taking a sip of her coffee. Deep down she was a little bothered with the fact that she can't remember what happened the other night, not even a thing about getting home and looking dead like what Jackson was telling her but she had to focus on the present time as well.
"Hey Jinyoung! Tell her I'm saying the truth" Jackson said begging with his puppy eyes.
"First, close your mouth while eating" Jinyoung said to Jackson with a hint of annoyance.
"Second, he is kind of right" He completed looking at Jeongyeon.
"Guys, just forget about it okay?" Jeongyeon said, thinking deeply.
The morning breeze was starting so get through the window of their apartment. Jeongyeon got up and closed it, the sun was so bright, the sky so clear, nothing could ruin that beautiful day, if lucky enough.
The first sign of her absolutely lack of luck was when Jackson decided to turn the TV on to see the news. Jeongyeon's eyes widened when she saw the broadcast showing the front of her father's restaurant.
"Oh my..." She could hear Jackson gasping with his mouth open while the reporter talked about a murder that happened really close to there in the other night. Their neighborhood was so quiet that the three couldn't even remember the last time something like that ever happened in the place, everyone was shocked.
"Oh God, did you not see this?" Jinyoung asked to her while pointing to the covered dead body on the TV screen.
"I..." Jeongyeon said under her breath. At that moment, the loud ring of her cellphone in her pocket interrupted her train of thoughts.
'Dad' The screen showed, she didn't hesitate to pick up.

.

.

.

The news spread fast, Jeongyeon quickly arrived in the place to show her support to her family and to see if anyone knew what was going on. Of course, her father interrogated her because he knew that Jeongyeon was all alone there the other night.
"I heard them saying that it happened around three am. Did you see anything?" Her father asked, visibly nervous. They were sat on one of the tables of the now closed restaurant. Jeongyeon was facing a window to see the movement outside.
"No" She said but not rea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter