Chapter 14: Time is a good remedy for broken hearts

When Donghae loves, he does it with all his heart

A/N: Ooops, who's that in the photo? Hint: not Amelia.

 

Amelia’s side...

“Hey, Cat. How are you?” Amelia Facetimed with her best friend every week since she left. They both knew Sunday night was the perfect way to do it as they finished their week in a happy note by talking with each other.

“I’m fi-...” she tried to end the sentence, but Eunhyuk interrupted her.

“We are perfectly fine! How are YOU?” he put his face really close to the camera, showing his gummy smile.

Both girls laughed at his silliness. “I’m fine. Congratulations for ‘2ya2yao’! It sounds amazing!”

“Thank you...it’s just...” he looked at Cat, who was nodding her head in disapproval. “Come on, she needs to know. It’s been almost 3 months though.”

“What do I have to know?” Amelia didn’t know if she wanted to know or not, but spoke before she realized she asked.

“It’s not something big...Donghae is wearing that kind of hat to cover his puffy eyes. He has trouble sleeping and keeps staying in his room and probably cries himself to sleep.”

“Lee Hyukjae! How can you tell her that? Are you insane?” he received some hits from his girlfriend, who was yelling at his at that point.

“Cat, it’s fine...”

“No, it’s not. He’s doing better though. He started to go out with us for launch. So don’t take this knucklehead’s words.” She beamed, making her statement truer...or hoping to make it believable.

“Good...I’m trying not to think about the whole situation. I’ve been trying to write a song myself and boy, it’s hard. I keep on dancing more because I enjoy it more.” She shrugged, taking a lot of self-strength to not break down and cry. She tried to embrace the breakup and move on in a way, until she could go back.

 

Donghae’s side...

“Donghae-yah. Come see this.” Siwon shouted after his friend. “Guess who’s here.”

He watched on Siwon’s phone a gif (a killer gif) with Amelia ( https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d0/6f/d1/d06fd19b41f5ab60db8493375a75144b.gif ). “Her hair got longer and she has bangs...”

“But before she got bangs, watch this.” It was Amelia, singing to a Samsung commercial, being all innocent and cute as he kept remembering her shyness and how he loved it. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMyI35auN_M )

“Are you okay? You had to see it because it took us so much to even have a solo, but a commercial? She’s talented and is gaining fans from all over the world. I should congratulate her.” He said while typing a message on Facebook for her.

“I-I’m fine...” Hae kept on watching and saw on the recommended videos another one with her. It was actually an Instagram live from one of her band members. It was with Amelia with her eyes closed, earphones in her ears and singing ‘Stop’ by Sam Brown. He never realized her voice was so good and kept on watching her sing, until she stopped, being aware of other presence in the room beside her.

“Hey, Olivia, what are you doing?” she started to laugh, but you could hear she sniffled. “I’m not filming you for sure.” The girl laughed in the back of the camera, running off with it because she got chased by Amelia.

Donghae smiled at the scene, feeling tears coming again. He looked up, seeing Siwon having his arms crossed at his chest, waiting. “I won’t cry, I promise.”

“Good.” Siwon said, trying to get his phone.

“There’s one more commercial I’d like to see. Please?”

“You don’t have to beg, go ahead and watch it. But you won’t like it.”

“Huh? Now I’m curious.” He clicked on another Samsung commercial. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7_oMM9zz3c ) (A/N: isn’t it the cutest commercial ever? I loved it the first time I saw it. The girl I’m using as Amelia is actress Liza Soberano and she is so cute.) “Do you think they are dating?”

“I knew you would assume that...Use your brain, not your crazy heart! They aren’t dating, they just shot this commercial together. If you dance ‘She wants it’ with the dancers, does that mean you date? No. This is your job, Donghae.” Siwon smacked his nape, making him whimper. “You deserve it. Sorry, bro.”

“You’re right, no need to be aggressive about it!” he returned Siwon phone, getting up from his chair to go to his room.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“What do you mean?” Donghae asked, ready to open his room’s door.

“Oh no, no more locking yourself up in your room. Let’s go out with the guys. It’s not the best place and not on our liking, but at least we are out.”

“Where are we going?”

“We have to go to a party and meet our new dancers.” Siwon put his arm around his friend’s shoulders. “I heard they are really nice.”

“I don’t feel like meeting somebody.”

“But that’s disrespectful! Get dressed and we’ll meet in 10 minutes.”

Donghae rolled his eyes, throwing a sarcastic and childish ‘fine’ at Siwon. He wanted to get out of the house, but at the same time, he wasn’t in the mood to meet other people. Especially women. He decided he will stay in a corner and maybe one of the members would join him.

 

Amelia’s side, when she shot the commercial with the guy...

“Isn’t he cute?” Olivia came running to her colleague.

“Who?” Amelia asked, putting her stuff in her bag. “Enrique?”

“Duuh! And he keeps looking at you.” She giggled.

“Stop. I’m not interested.” Amelia was being honest. She didn’t want to date anymore and she didn’t feel like it anyway.

“Come on! Oh, he’s coming over here.” Olivia giggled some more and left.

“Hello, Amelia. It was nice meeting you and working with you.” He smiled, revealing his dimples.

“Hi. Thank you! Nice to meet you too.” She kept making steps to the exit, but got chased by the guy.

“I was thinking, maybe you would like to grab dinner with me sometime?” he looked hopefully at her, who stopped walking.

“Look, Enrique, it’s been nice working with you, but I’m not interested in dating right now. I’m trying to get over a bad break up and I don’t want to make any guy feel like he is used to make me get over it. I hope you understand.”

“I understand. I’m sorry to bother you then. Have a nice day.” He put his hands in his hoodie pockets and left Amelia standing by the exit. She felt bad because he seemed like a nice guy, but what could she do? It was true what she said, she didn’t want to date yet.

 

Donghae’s side...

“Oooh where are you leaving?” Eunhyuk asked, taking a bite off a strawberry. Great, even a fruit was reminding him of the love of his life.

“I want to return this because I don’t feel like keeping it anymore. It became a bit boring to be honest.” Hae showed him the box from the airport with the engagement ring.

“What? Why? You don’t have to do it...just hide it from your sight.”

“No. I want to do this. Plus, extra money never hurt anybody.” He simply left, without letting Eunhyuk talk him out of it.

When he returned, there was still something keeping him waken up at night: photos of him with Amelia or her alone. They were being happy, kissing, hugging and so on. It was too painful to keep looking through them, so he decided to put them in a small chest. The chest was put on a counter, next to a few more stuff for which he cared greatly. Even next to a photobook with his father from when he was little.

 

Amelia’s side...

“Okay, you keep singing sad songs, what’s going on with you?” Olivia put herself down, next to Amelia, crossing her legs too.

“What do you mean? Am I?” Amelia didn’t even realize it became a habit. She enjoyed the voice reflexes she could do while singing sad songs.

“Come on, we saw your phone’s screen, who’s the guy?” Olivia pushed her a little to make her talk.

“Yeah, and you keep listening to this boy band and one guy in particular.” Ayra, their Malaysian colleague and the mind of the group, barged in the discussion.

“Is that the boyfriend you broke up with?” Rina, the one in the plane, asked.

“You girls are so smart...” Amelia sighed. “I’m going to tell you, but you have to swear you keep it between us. If this goes around somehow, I will know it was you and it will go really ugly really fast.”

“Wow, she even threatens us. We will keep our mouths shut, not because you threatened us, but because we are a team and we support and come to love you as our leader.” Olivia stated.

“Thank you so much, girls! So, they are Super Junior.” She showed them the MV for ‘Devil’.

“Wow...they’re hot.” Olivia exclaimed, fanning herself.

“So hot. Especially this one.” Rina pointed to Kyuhyun. “I’m not familiar to k-pop as I grew up in America. My dad is Korean though.” She smiled.

“I like this one.” Ayra pointed to Donghae. Amelia looked at her, nodding her head no. “Oh my God, that’s your boyfriend!” she covered in surprise.

“Aren’t they too young tho?” Rina tried to look closer to them.

“Nope, they’re all in their 30s.” Ami nodded again.

“Holy !” Rina exclaimed, taking the phone from Ami and tapping on some other songs.

“How come you broke up with this hottie? I think he’s more than just a hottie, for sure.” Olivia asked.

“Well...this job opportunity came around.” Ami looked down, embarrased. 

“So practically you did it for money?” Olivia asked again.

They all exclaimed “Oooohh!” in awe at the realization.

“I told him I wanted to raise money for a home and for my future children. I also want to see the world too. His dream came true, mine is in progress now.” Amelia looked sadly and worried at all of them.

“You told him that you practically want to be the man of the house.” Rina concluded.

They all exclaimed again “Oooohh!” the same way.

“This is the worst, oh my God! What did I do?” Amelia covered her face with her palms. She didn’t believe what she did. One of the worst things a woman can do to the man she loved.

“Wait, it’s not THAT bad. You just want to follow your dream and he had to understand. He should have agreed to the long-distance relationship.” Rina hugged Amelia, their band leader.

“He is more...sensible. I think he can’t bear the thought that he has to see me after all these years.” she sniffled, reminiscing the past. It felt so long in the past already.

“It ...” Ayra sighed, putting her head on Ami’s shoulder.

“Yeah...” she also sighed, enjoying the closeness of her girls. She grew to love them and get attached to them. “Wait, I finally have an idea for a new song.” Amelia exclaimed, getting up to search for a paper and a pen.

“Finally!” the girls exclaimed, happy she started to be a writer too.

This is the final result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph54wQG8ynk . It became a solo after all, the impresario enjoying it that way. Eventually, every girl in the band had a solo of their own.

Something must've gone wrong in my brain
Got your chemicals all in my veins
Feeling all the highs, feel all the pain
Let go of the wheel, it's the borderline
Now I'm seeing red, not thinking straight
Blurring all the lines, you intoxicate me

The lyrics felt right then, as she couldn't stop thinking about him. She couldn't wait as in a few months it was a possibility she could see him again.

 

Donghae’s side...

“I’d like to go out with you!” one of the new dancers, Ariana, responded at Donghae’s proposal.

“Great, then I’ll see you tomorrow at brunch.”

“It’s a date.” She concluded, getting closer to him and pecking his cheek. Normally, he would be timid about it, but he felt uncomfortable about her action. That was, for sure, his brain telling him to stop the nonsense, but his heart was longing for love. He felt a bit like a lost puppy.

Next day, he got up from bed feeling stronger than before. Was that a good thing by asking her out? She was gorgeous and pure, exactly what he was looking for. He wasn’t looking to fall in love, he just wanted to see where all that was going.

At the date, they started to get to know each other. She was always smiling, making him do it too. It was contagious. He was finally breathing and stopped thinking about Amelia. He enjoyed the brunch and also the next dates they had. He, at last, invited her to a dinner he made himself.

“I’m curious how your room looks like. No erted actions intended. You saw my room anyway.”

He smiled, seeing her slurping on the ramhyun he made. “After we eat, you can go. It’s nothing much.”

“You know, a room can say a lot about a person.”

After they ate, they went to his room. She looked around. It was a crazy tidy room for a man and also organized. Maybe he only dusted once in awhile as he was mostly gone with work. She found his shelf with memories and things with emotional attachment. Her hand flew to the cute chest he kept there. When she opened it, it revealed photos with him and Amelia.

“Don’t touch that!” he shouted, taking it from her hands a bit too forcefully. “I’m sorry...”

“Is that your ex?” she crossed her arms, angry.

“Yes.” That response was all she needed to go home.

Donghae went after her, till he reached her house even. He knocked on the door repeatedly until she opened the door. “I don’t want to talk to you right now. I know that maybe you loved her, but what am I for you? You should have at least hidden them from me.”

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t realize it...I even forgot I had them, that’s why I didn’t hide them or throw them out. I made the stash of photos after we broke up. Please, Ariana, let me in.” they stood in the door frame. He took her face in his hands, kissing her tears away and then her lips. They hugged tightly and she let him in.

“It’s late, we should go to sleep. I can't let you drive this late at night.”

“Yes. Thank you.” He answered, going to the bathroom. They had a few sleepovers, which meant he knew where everything was and had some changings at her place. He went in bed with her, taking her in his arms.

“I only forgive you because in all this time you never tried to sleep with me.”

“What?” he was confused.

“Donghae, I really like you! I see a future with you because you are the nicest guy I’ve ever been with. And I think you are ready to find out about this.” She got up, taking his hand in hers. “I plan on waiting till wedding night to have . I’ve been growing up with this kind of thinking from my parents and I agree with it too. W-what do you say?” she knew that was a deal breaker for all the boyfriend she had.

“I understand and respect that. Come here.” He smiled and kissed her forehead.

“Really? You do? You are actually the first...” she felt weird being hugged after she told the truth. It was usually fights she had and break ups.

“Of course, unless you were married before.” He chuckled.

“True.” She laughed too and drifted off to sleep in his arms.

It's you, babe
And I'm a er for the way that you move, babe
And I could try to run, but it would be useless
You're to blame
Just one hit of you, I knew I'll never be the same - 
this is how Donghae was NOT feeling, but Amelia was...

Was it possible that he found a new love and Amelia was coming back to find him with somebody else? 

 

Bonus:

1. Cuz I love his smile

2. Cuz he looks so good in the new photoshoot