Chapter 13: What a broken heart needs

When Donghae loves, he does it with all his heart

 

The night they broke up...

 

Amelia went to a store after letting tears fall down while riding a cab. Even if it was a clean break-up, she felt her heart heavy and wounded. What she needed right there and then was sad music and something which always made her feel good: vodka cranberry. She bought a bottle of vodka, ice, cranberry juice and chips, the only food she felt like eating.

“What the eff is going on here? I took care of Leeteuk and now I have to take care of you too?” Catherine returned after spending the evening trying to find somebody for her new friend.

“Yuhuuu, Cat! The bed’s getting cold and you’re not here, the future that we hold is so unclear...” Amelia sang at the top of her lungs, crying, sipping from the almost empty bottle of the vodka. She switched from the cranberry mix, to plain vodka, which was a very dangerous thing to do.

“I want to go clubbing and hit on strangers. Ohhhh how I want to get banged.” She slumbered on the carpet.

“No, you don’t. You convinced me that drinking is not the right thing to do and I’m doing the same for you. You’re heartbroken, that’s all.” She put her on the sofa, a bit harder because Ami lost her sense of balance.

“Are you sure it’s going to go away?” she sighed, almost falling asleep.

„Yes, I promise.” Cat put a blanket on her friend, then watched as she drove off to sleep land. She blamed herself for turning her best friend in a monster. That was a well-known behavior for her as she was doing the same things in the past. At that time, she was completely sober for more than 4-5 months thanks to Amelia and Eunhyuk. And also Donghae, who always found new activities for the four of them and they never got bored.

 

Next day, Donghae’s apartment...

 

“I don’t understand, hyung. I thought she was different. I thought she was the one. Why am I so naive and end up heartbroken?” Donghae didn’t even pinch the space between his eyes in order to prevent the tears from falling. He let them be and got drunk in his thoughts instead, not cranberry vodka. Let me tell you, Amelia wasn’t some drunkie, she barely drank alcohol. That’s why she ended up like that. But she felt like coping with the break up like that.

“Yaah, stop beating yourself up for something that it was inevitable.” Leeteuk patted his back and gave him a hug. “Neither you or her knew this would happen. She is following her dreams, which weren’t possible without you. She would have gone back to her country and live her life the same way. Also, this applies for Catherine as well. She’s hell of a girl though. We had a great time last night.”

Donghae broke the hug, looking at his hyung talking nonsense. “Catherine is together with Eunhyuk, didn’t you know?”

“What? Really? They didn’t say anything about that...” he tried to remember things that happened between the two, but he had a hard time. They were too secretive.

 “Well, they try to work things out. He’s been staying at her place and having sleepovers, they go on dates and they both are loyal to whatever’s going on. I think they are pretty serious. Sorry to break it for you, hyung.”

He nodded, playing with his fingers. “I just didn’t know and last night I almost...I am an idiot. I thought she would go out with me at the bar to be around me, but she was genuine and wanted to help me find somebody.” He sighed.

“Sorry...This must be hard for you, coming from people with relationships. Well, not me anymore. But I’m sorry to put this pressure on you. You are the only person who could understand me and give me some veritable pieces of advice.”

“It’s alright, Donghae. I’m here as your best friend, your leader and even your brother.” He smiled, shrugging off his worries to concentrate on his friend’s problem.

“The breakup was so weird. I mean, it concluded that we are both ok to not do long distance and practically stop talking to each other. Do you think I can reach to her from time to time?”

“That would only make your recovery slower. I think you should just watch her from afar.”

Donghae was deep in thought, nodding in approval of Teuk’s words. The door clicked, revealing Eunhyuk with a bag of groceries. “Hey, buddy. I bought chicken ramen for you and I’m going to prepare it for you. This will warm your heart, I promise.”

They smiled at each other, grateful they are best friends. Eunhae is known for their skinship on stage, but they are true friends in ‘real’ life too. They are there for each other in hard times, even if one of them or both are in a relationship. No woman could break them up.

“How’s Catherine?” Leeteuk asked, realizing she was broken up as well because her best friend left her too.

Eunhyuk looked at him confused, then at Donghae who explained that their leader knew about the two of them. “Oh...she’s really sad and told me I should check up on you. She wanted some alone time too, so it was fine. Things between us are actually going great and, to be honest, I enjoy this time because I get to be there to comfort her. It’s a nice feeling for me. I hadn’t felt this in forever.” He smiled sadly at Donghae, whose tears started to fall again. “I’m sorry...”

“It’s fine. You deserve to be happy! I’m glad you are working things out.” Hae got up and went in his room. He came back in the kitchen with a small speaker and started to play a playlist he thought he didn’t have anymore, but it was there, a few scrolls later.

 

Go ahead, just leave

Can't hold you, you're free

You take all these things

If they mean so much to you...

 

That song – Taking back my love by Enrique Iglesias – felt like it was fitted for how he felt. Little did he know that it was a song in Amelia’s repertory too. He started to hum to the song and to the lyrics, which he knew by heart. He’s been hurt so many times, he even composed songs himself to deal with the feelings he had inside.

 

I gave you your dreams

'Cause you meant the world

So did I deserve

To be left here hurt

 

Back to the girls, the other night (also the night before Amelia left to pursue her dream)...

 

“Catheeeriiinneee...” Amelia shouted after her friend, who went in a search to a bucket. Or at least a garbage can.

“I’m coming!” Cat responded in the same tone. “Here, sweetie.” She handed her the garbage can, being literally snatched from her hands. She threw up in it a few times, feeling burn.

“What am I doing? Am I crazy? What if my throat gets sore and can’t sing anymore?” she started to cry, holding her stomach.

“That’s because you’ve just thrown up. It will pass, I promise. I’m an expert to this.” She patted her friend’s back, trying to comfort her as much as she could. She was never this miserable from a breakup. “You’re going to be okay. ”

 

What did I do

But give love to you?

I'm just confused

As I stand here and look at you

 

The day Amelia leaves...

 

“Did he come out of his room today?” Eunhyuk asked Yesung, who was feeding his turtle.

“No...I think he went to the bathroom and back. Today Amelia leaves, you know.”

“I know, that’s why I need to make sure he is alright before we go.” He went to Donghae’s room, slowly opening the door. He was laying in bed with his headphones on.

“Donghae.” He called his name, approaching the bed. “Are you okay?”

“Hyuk, I have no more tears, how do you think I feel?”

He simply sighed, thinking about a solution. “I should stay with you. I can’t leave you like this.”

“You should go. You won’t see her a few years at least.” Hae didn’t even look at his best friend. He kept his gaze on the ceiling and music still on, but lower.

“No, it’s fine, I already bid my goodbye and thanked her for what she did for me.”

“She really is a good soul.” He stated, getting up and getting off the headset. “You know what,  I should come too to the airport.”

“What?” Eunhyuk was confused and surprised at the sudden proposition.

“Yeah. But I want to watch from afar. Will you stay with me?”

“Y-yes...if that’s what you want.” Hyuk didn’t know what to say, that’s why he messaged Catherine while Hae was getting dressed.

“Great, I’ll be ready in 5 minutes.”

 

I'd give it all up

But I'm takin' back my love

I'm takin' back my love

I'm takin' back my love

I've given you too much

But I'm takin' back my love

I'm takin' back my love, my love, my love

 

“How’s Donghae?” Cat asked over the phone.

“He’s...listening to Justin Timberlake’s songs...” Hyuk sighed at the other end of the phone.

“Amelia too! Holy crap, they really are meant to be...”

“Yeah...I try to calm him down, but he keeps saying he’s okay. At the same time he makes SJ sing all the ballads for the next concert...and also, he asked to come at the airport.”

“What?” Catherine shouted, being surprised as well.

“Everything ok, Cat?” Amelia got out of her room with luggage in both hands and a big bag on her shoulder. She decided not to cry anymore, but she felt the hungover still. She swore she wouldn’t put a drop of alcohol in her entire life. Her head was spinning too and she had the worst headache. Her voice was better though.

“Oh, y-yeah. All good.” She went far from Amelia so she would hear.

“That’s how I reacted as well, but he told me he wanted to watch from afar. So, basically, we’ll be there too, but you guys won’t see us. Especially you know who.” Eunhyuk whispered over the phone because Donghae got out of his room.

“Okay, then. I can’t with these two. I’ll...not see you at the airport then.”

“Okay. Lov-...Bye!!” Hyuk quickly pressed the cancel button on his phone. He almost said ‘Love you’ over the phone! Good thing she might have understood he meant to call her ‘love’. His breath started to accelerate, together with his heart beats. Was he really prepared to make such big step? Catherine was not for sure.

 

At the airport...

 

Almost all SJ members and their manager took Amelia to the airport. It was funny in a way because they kept on taking her to the airport and back in different situations. They all bid their goodbyes to her, hugging her and wishing her the best. But only two persons were not there. Actually, they were there, but they were hidden. Donghae couldn’t say goodbye a second time from the love of his life.

“What is that?” Eunhyuk asked, seeing how Donghae got out a small box out of his pocket.

“Do you think that if I propose to her right now, she wouldn’t leave?” his eyes started to get blurry because of the emotions which were too much for him then.

“Are you crazy? The situation is kinda complicated now. Do you want both you and her to get a depression? This is wrong idea from so many points of view. First, she can say ni, meaning you will be even more hurt and miserable. Secondly, she can say yes, but still leave and that would be the most complicated scenario as you don’t believe in long distance relationships. And finally, she can say yes and stay. She will regret deep in her heart, without you knowing, that she wanted to go and be unhappy next to you.”

“Wow, you pointed out these stuffs fast...I couldn’t think of so many possibilities. It’s the worst idea indeed...” he put the engagement ring back in his pocket, continuing to watch as Ami hugged everybody individually.

“She’s not the type of girl to go around and sleep with other men. She loves you so much. I can bet she won’t even look at one and when she returns, she will look for you first.”

“I-I was thinking the same thing.” He sighed, wiping a stupid tear from his cheek.

“I can ask Cat if she got herself or has a or something. They talk about this as girls.”

“Nooo, no, no, no.” Hae waved his hands and started to get red cheeks. “Don’t do it. It’s weird and embarrasing.”

 

“Thank you for everything, Teukie. You are certainly the most amazing leader.” Amelia smiled at him.

“Stop it. You are the only one who keeps telling me that. I don’t believe it that much.”

“Oh, sweetie, your self-esteem is down from another reason...only if I knew, I could have helped you more.” She frowned, worried about him.

“Catherine actually set me up with somebody. She is nice and hopefully she keeps going out with me.”

“Woah, congrats then! Don’t blow it! Fighting!” she hugged him again, going to the next SJ member.

“I won’t.” he gave her his dimpled smile, his cheeks and ears turning a bit red at the thought of his new girlfriend. It seems like men are more sensitive than women when it comes to love.

“Shiwon...my horsie.” They both chuckled, hugging tightly.

“Ami, don’t call me that. Somebody might thing something else.”

She smacked his chest, giggling. “You have a beautiful soul, Choi Siwon. Keep it that way.”

“Totally. Oh, wait, you’re crying again.” He took her in his arms again, caressing her hair.

“What if I made the biggest mistake of my life? What if Donghae truly doesn’t wait for me? W-what if he falls out of love? Will I be able to find a guy like him? Will I-...” she said with a crying and cracked voice. Her mascara was all over Siwon’s shirt, but he didn’t care.

 

“Stay strong, bro.” Eunhyuk told Donghae, who was tensed up and ready to go grab her and never let go.

“Why is she crying so much? Is it hard for her? Hyuk!” he exclaimed, trying to find some answers.

“She may be emotional because she loves us too and got close to everyone. Don’t you remember how hard it was when we left to army? We were all a crying mess.”

“True...” he turned around, heading to his car. “I can’t watch anymore.”

“It’s fine. Let’s go grab something to eat.”

“I’m not in the mood. I just want to go home.”

“At least come stay with us in the SJ dorms. We can be more helpful then.”

He took a deep breath as soon as he went out of the airport, in the parking lot. “Sure, come on, I give you a ride back if you want.”

 

“Stop, stop, stop.” Siwon said, breaking the hug and wiping her tears. “You should think about the blessing you received. This is your fate and you have to let it guide you. You never know what happenes in two or three years. Until then, you have to get your head in the game because you know that being known as a singer and dancer is pretty stressful.”

“Y-yeah, you’re right. You always know what to say in regards of soul care.”

“Now stop crying and be strong! You are talented, beautiful and smart. You have the whole package, so go there and bring the world some joy with your delightful presence.” He took her in a tight hug again and soon enough, all the boys were having a group hug.

“Thank you for everything. I love you, guys!” she went closer to Siwon to whisper. “Eunhyuk is with him, right?”

He smiled at her. “Yes, don’t worry. Hyuk makes the best support for him.”

She smiled back, nodding her head, then leaving to the plane, where she took off with one of her team mates. She was Korean and had lots of talents and was really friendly.

 

We have two bonus photos because Eunhae <3:

 

Oppa oppa hehe