XVII. Exhaustion and Excitement

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy looked towards Baekhyun in dismay at the fact that Minjoon wasn’t there. “We should check the back-door’s CCTV, too,” she spoke, with hope in her voice. Baekhyun sighed but nodded. He shared the hope because if Minjoon wasn’t in the footage, that meant he had never left his apartment during the time frame that Dohyun was murdered. 

But, no matter how much they wished this was an easy case to deal with, they had to make sure that Minjoon wasn’t a suspect, and that meant that they would have to sit through another 3 hours of footage, then they would do it. It would just help if Chanyeol and Eunwoo were there, so they could split the footage-watching duties, but unfortunately they were still missing. Baekhyun let Wendy sit in her sprawled out position on the chair (it was amazing how she was bent across the chair in a way that looked absolutely uncomfortable, yet she’d been in that position for the last 40 minutes) in the conference room and got up to open the second set of CCTV footage. 

Sitting back down, they went through the footage in the same manner that they had previously done so. About 20 minutes into the mindless staring, Baekhyun stretched in his chair and checked the time, surprised it was already almost 6PM. Usually while working cases, it was normal for them to have late nights — staying at the precinct till 9-10PM, but he supposed it was because he had such a long weekend that he was absolutely exhausted. He paused the footage, and then looked at Wendy who looked like she’d rather be anywhere but sitting in that chair. It looked like she had given up all pretense of caring what she looked like with her blonde hair falling out of her ponytail.  

“Do you want some coffee?” he asked. Wendy nodded gratefully. He smiled at her, and then made his way to the breakroom to grab two ceramic mugs that were placed in the drying rack after someone else had used them and washed them. Or at least, he hoped that they had been washed with soap. Noticing how full the kettle looked, Baekhyun realized that it probably hadn’t been long since someone had freshly brewed the coffee. While pouring his coffee, his finger stung, and he looked down to see a small, straight lined bruise form on  the tip of his index finger. Rolling his eyes at Haeun’s habit of getting paper cuts, he simply continued pouring his coffee. He resisted the urge to scratch the latest cat scratches that had formed on his forearm.

Carefully carrying the two cups in his hands and a bag of chocolate chip cookies in his mouth, he headed back to the conference room to find Eunwoo and Chanyeol waiting for him. They had laid out a bunch of sheets of paper on the table spanning nearly the entire table. It looked like they were finally done going through Dohyun’s financials.

“I’m not going back and getting you guys coffee,” he mumbled the best he could with the bag of cookies in his mouth as a greeting. He moved towards the table to let the cookies drop onto it before passing Wendy her cup of coffee. She simply murmured a thank you, not moving from her position.

“Wow, heartless,” responded Chanyeol, leaning a hip against the table. Baekhyun shrugged as he took of his coffee, savoring the feeling of the hot liquid running down his throat.

“You didn’t have to sit through 3 hours of CCTV footage,” he responded.

“No, we just sat and stared at numbers,” Chanyeol retorted. 

“Still less mind numbing than staring at people going in and out of a building,” Wendy spoke with a yawn muddling her words.

“Okay, guys, I’d like to finish this and get home as soon as possible, so please,” Eunwoo groaned, apparently the only one with brain cells left.

Wendy agreed, out, “Sleep is calling my name.”

Eunwoo sent her a smirk, “Preach, woman.” Chanyeol let out a sound that sounded like a cross between a growl and a cough, causing Baekhyun to choke on his coffee. 

“Let’s just watch the video first,” Baekhyun conceded. He would really need to tell Chanyeol about Eunwoo and how he wasn’t going after Wendy.

They somehow made it through the rest of the footage, only to find out that it led absolutely nowhere. Minjoon never showed.

“Well that’s just great,” Chanyeol muttered as he stood up and stretched. Eunwoo staggered out of the room holding up a finger as he exited only to return with two cups of coffee and handed one to Chanyeol. 

“Thanks.” By that point, Baekhyun just laid his head on the table, next to the stacks of paper. 

“What did you find out from the financials?” he asked, his voice somewhat muffled by the table.

Eunwoo took a deep breath before speaking. At this point, they were all so utterly exhausted, but they had to get through this quickly. They were already past the 48 hour point of the murder, and at this point, finding more reliable evidence was very low. The chances of finding any reliable witnesses was even lower. “So it turns out, they weren’t kidding when they said Dohyun was broke. He had basically no money in his account before he started working as an accountant. After that he was living paycheck to paycheck - what little money was left over went to weed and drugs. From the way he was withdrawing enough money and often enough, it seemed like he wasn’t buying just for himself - but for others until he got a job.”

Wendy perked up slightly, and asked as she munched on a cookie, “Was he still buying after he started working?”

“No, the withdrawals frequency and amount decreased.”

“Was it enough to buy heroin?” Chanyeol questioned, looking between the two in the drug unit.

“It depends on the weight of the heroin, but probably not. He’s been using for a while, if he were to escalate, it would’ve happened when he moved out when he was under higher amounts of stress.” 

“Basically, we’re back to square one,” Chanyeol grumbled, lightly banging his head on the table. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Wendy slightly wince and raised a hand to rub her forehead at the same time Chanyeol groaned. Eyes widening, he looked between him and Wendy, and he did something stupid that he probably shouldn’t have done, but he did anyways. 

He “accidentally” knocked over Chanyeol’s cup of coffee that was still partially filled, and he watched as a few drops spilled onto Chanyeol’s arm. He shot up with a wince, and Baekhyun watched as Wendy nearly knocked her own (now empty) cup off the table as she scrambled to sit up properly as she felt the same pain. Baekhyun stood up and set his hands on the table.

“Okay, I think it’s time we call it a day. We need to get some rest, and we’ll go talk to Dohyun’s boss and family again tomorrow. Hopefully the uniforms will have our dealer by the morning.” Then looking at Chanyeol, “We need to talk.”

~~~

When Haeun got back to the office after lunch, she was so pleased that she could’ve kissed Siyeon. Sure, she was a tiny bit late getting back, but she had also come to work early in the morning. 

“You found the black boxes that quickly?!”

“I called the prosecution, and they said that they had overlooked it thanks to the overwhelming incriminating evidence. They didn’t need to submit it, so they never got them.” 

“Siyeon,” she started seriously,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter