XI. Law and Order

Distant Torment
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Running into Baekhyun not moments after she said yes to Taehyung - for a date, nonetheless, - probably was some sort of divine sign that was telling her that she should clear her mind over Baekhyun before going out with someone else. When she saw Baekhyun through the interrogation window earlier, he was in detective mode, and that was something she didn’t see often - or at all. But seeing him standing in front of her in casual Baekhyun mode was triggering memories from this morning. After he had left, she had practically screamed out loud at how she was stupid enough to fall asleep with him on the same couch (causing some backlash from the cat who had superior hearing). She was expecting him to simply play off what happened, because that’s certainly what she was planning on doing, but when he asked her about why she wasn’t freaking out, she made up some bull story about her and Jeonghan. No matter how much cramming they did, they had never fallen asleep in that...intimate of a position. 

“Oh hey,” Haeun greeted, trying to ignore her sweaty palms. She felt like she just got caught doing something she wasn’t supposed to. She wasn’t in front of a judge, for god’s sake! Or her parents, for that matter. Thank god her parents weren’t around to see that she was sleeping in the same bed as boys and going out with the guy who had - accidentally - attacked her. 

Taehyung stepped out of the room behind her, and he touched her lightly on the shoulder. She looked at him and smiled.

“I’ll see you at lunch. I’ll text you the details later,” he spoke. Haeun smiled at him in response and nodded. He walked away, and she saw Baekhyun staring at Taehyung as he walked away before dragging his eyes back to her.

“Hey, I wanted to talk to you really quickly,” he spoke as he put his hands into the back pockets of his jeans. His tone had become a bit harder than it was before, and she wondered why he was acting like a stranger until her eyes noticed the glinting metal on his jeans. His badge that was clipped to his jeans was showing, and it reminded her that she saw him as a normal human being more than a detective, and so seeing him like this was refreshing. It didn’t mean that he had to be so direct with her, but she just chalked it up to exhaustion after everything that had happened. It reminded her of how it took her a while to get used to seeing her close friends in law mode after they had all gotten jobs and started working. 

“Sure, what’s up?”

“Jang Moohyun, Jieun’s stalker, is asking for a lawyer. Captain wanted me to ask if you’d be willing since you were already here.” Haeun paused for a moment, thinking whether her boss would be okay with her picking up the case, but then she thought about how scared Jieun was, and she decided that she’d deal with any consequences. She’d make sure the man got what he deserved.

She’d just do it her way.

While Haeun had decided to join the government’s law system as a lawyer for criminals as a criminal defense attorney, it wasn’t like she was devoid of morals like Baekhyun had always assumed. Haeun cared about making sure those who were innocent would be proven innocent, and those who deserved to go to jail would comply with the police and the court. Sure, as part of her job it was necessary to compromise with criminals so that they’d get plea deals with the District Attorney, but that didn’t mean she didn’t take her job seriously. There were people who were framed for crimes and those who were accused wrongfully. It was her job to defend those people and give them their freedom back.

Jang Moohyun wasn’t one of those people. 

“Yeah. I’ll be his lawyer. Can I have a notepad, please?” Baekhyun nodded and told her to follow him. She walked behind him as he went over to his desk where Chanyeol was sitting with Jieun and her parents. He leaned down to Chanyeol’s ear where he said something before grabbing a notepad. He looked through a few folders before finding the one he needed and giving it to her. 

“This is the file on Jang Moohyun and the report from today and the night you were with Jieun.” 

“Thanks. Is he in the interrogation room? I’m going to do some preliminary reading up before I talk to him.”

“Yes. You can sit in the break room and then go inside and talk to him there.” Baekhyun looked like he was looking at Haeun in a new light, and she could understand why since she kind of felt the same way. They had known each other for a few years now, but they had been living with a passive aggressive relationship, and so they had only met each other outside of work. Seeing each other in this environment was new. It was kind of amazing how she had never taken up one of the cases that he and Baekhyun had solved before. Haeun nodded and left to go do the quick look at the file as she dug out a pen from her purse.

Jang Moohyun was a 20 year old college student, and he didn’t have any priors. He was a model student who ranked in the top 10 of his class in high school and got into a good college with a scholarship. The file didn’t have anything else important, but she knew from the small bit she watched when Baekhyun was interrogating him and from what Jieun said that he was in love with Jieun. She scoffed at that. What love when he had just broken up with Jieun’s best friend. He certainly moved on quickly. 

She got up and moved towards the interrogation room, digging out her ID that she kept in her purse all the time and clipped it on her jeans. 

“Hello Mr. Jang. I’m Na Haeun, and I am your attorney.” She sat down in the chair across from him, and he smiled at her. He was sitting quietly before and the only sound in the room was the occasional clatter of his handcuffs hitting each other or the table as he moved his hands.

“Great! Now you can help me in court and make them understand why It’s important for me to be with Jieun.” Haeun clenched her teeth as she smiled at him. She put the folder and the notepad down on the table, quite forcefully, and she looked at the boy sitting in front of her.

“Tell me this, Mr. Jang, why were you following Ms. Kim Jieun?” She knew why, but she had to still hear it from him.

“Because I love her! I fell in love with her while I was dating her best friend, and she wouldn’t give me a chance so I had to convince her. I tried to show her that I was the best person for her.”

“Are you aware that she is a minor, so if you had gone farther than simply following her, you would be charged with jail time?” He looked taken aback at that.

“But...I haven’t done anything wrong.”

“Let me help you understand why you’re being charged with stalking. Stalking is defined as willfully following or harassing a person in several circumstances that can cause reasonable fear of injury or death. You were following the defendant around which caused her to feel fear for her safety and for her life.” Haeun leaned in closely and lowered her voice. “You should be grateful that you weren’t stupid enough to do anything futher because you would’ve gone to jail. If it were up to me, you’d be going to jail anyways.”

His eyes widened in shock as he stammered, “You-you’re my lawyer! You’re supposed to defend me!” Haeun blinked cluelessly. 

“I’m just giving you information and my legal advice. I advise you to take the fine plea and prepare yourself for a restraining order.” She opened up his file and set it open to his scholarship information. “If you go to court, I doubt you’re going to be able to pay the legal fees considering you’re on a scholarship. Plus, if you lose the trial, you will be losing the scholarship. Maybe even your research position. Wouldn’t want that to happen, now do we?” she asked as she tilted her head to the side. Moohyun’s jaw fell open as he looked at her. She could see his eyes dart back and forth as if he were contemplating what she said. She knew that he wouldn’t be able to even think about putting his scholarship in jeopardy - if it wasn’t already. 

“I...I could lose all of that?” Haeun shrugged.

“Probably," she spoke, leaning back in her chair. "There’s solid evidence against you. You take this to court to fight the fine, you’ll probably end up with a worse punishment.”

“Okay. Okay. I’ll...deal with the fine and the restraining order,” he pleaded as he pulled at his handcuff. There

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter