"Can you stay?"

Suayeon one-shots

It was a warm, summer day in Seoul. Siyeon was sitting alone on a bench, listening to music and watching the trees swing slowly as the wind tickled them.

She loved this park. She often went here for walks or to simply sit down and relax, take in everything around her. Just like now.

She leaned back resting both arms on the bench watching other people pass by. Some kids were running around. An older lady was walking her dog as he wiggled his small tail. A couple of students were having a study session. Everyone was busy with something.

She exhaled.

Today's work was pretty rough. She loved what she did, but sometimes it just gets too much.

Her phone shuffled another song. "Lullaby" by Dreamcatcher. She frowned immediately hearing the first few seconds. I guess I forgot to delete this one... She looked down at her phone quickly skipping it. She didn't want to hear the soft voice that was opening the song. She wasn't ready. Even though it had been years. She closed her eyes at the memories.

Dreamcatcher disbanded a few years ago. After years of performing, meeting fans and being in the limelight, it was time to say goodbye. Today, they were adults with normal jobs. At least that's what she thought. Siyeon would love to know where her former members are now. Everyday life got in the way, some moved away from Seoul, phone numbers changed and that was it. Years of friendship thrown out the window just like that.

Siyeon tried to shake away her thoughts and looked into the distance. She never expected it to happen. It was like that huge part of her life never existed.

She frowned again and stopped the current song from playing. She took out her earbuds and put them in her bag ready to get back home. She had enough. She came here to relax, not start reminiscing of her past life.

She was ready to get up when she felt a pair of hands cover her eyes. Her body froze on the bench.

"Uh... I really hope it's someone I know, otherwise, I'll start to scream."

A faint giggle.

Siyeon moved her head a bit as if she was trying to hear that giggle again. She lifted her own hands and placed them on the mysterious ones that were still gently covering her eyes. She started to touch them, trying to find out who they belong to. Soft skin, small fingers, short nails, one ring. Those hands felt oddly familiar. She had some potential guesses, but she wasn't too sure.

"I give up." she groaned in defeat shaking her head. The hands moved away carefully and she turned around on the bench. Her body swiftly moved up and she was now standing. In disbelief, she stared at the owner of the voice she didn't want to hear again.

"Bora..." The name slipped off Siyeon's lips.

"Siyeon." Bora smiled as she tilted her head a bit to the side still staring into Siyeon's eyes. Her smile wasn't bright. It wasn't the smile you make when you see someone again after so long. It was a smile full of sadness and sentimentality.

Time stopped. The birds in the park weren't flying. The kids weren't running around. The wind wasn't swaying trees from side to side. It was just the two of them in their own world. Just like back then.

Siyeon watched Bora as she started to walk around the bench towards her. "Can I hug you?" Bora asked nervously as she now stood in front of Siyeon. Siyeon parted her lips meaning to answer, but all she could do is nod her head slowly.

Embracing each other's bodies into their arms, both girls shut their eyes at the familiar contact. It was like their arms never forgot where to place themselves. Bora's head was leaning into Siyeon's shoulder as she kept her eyes closed. Siyeon's perfume was tickling her nose. The same one Bora got her once for her birthday. She didn't change it since.

Bora told herself so many times that she was over her. That she didn't feel a thing anymore. That the past should be left in the past. Yet she was here being held tightly and all of her emotions and feelings came running back.

They started to let go as the hug went on for too long for a normal hug. It was an intimate type of one. The one where you can relax because you're protected in those arms holding you close.

Pulling back completely they looked at each other again.

"Um... Would you like to grab some food?" Bora asked.

"I'd love to." A shy smile appeared on Siyeon's lips.

--

They ended up in a small restaurant. They didn't talk much on the way there. They didn't know where to start from. Both were in a state of shock and confusion. Luckily, it wasn't crowded. Only two tables were occupied. One by a couple and one by a mother and son, who was refusing to eat broccoli. The atmosphere overall was pretty calm. Soft, quiet music played. Just what they needed to settle down their nerves.

They sat down across from each other looking over the menu. The stiff atmosphere between them made Siyeon want to run away. It was too much.

"Do you remember? We used to come here often after our practices." Siyeon asked trying to ease the tension between them. She looked around the place trying to figure out what had changed since the last time.

Bora joined her and nodded. "Of course, I remember. I also remember you spilling the soup on your brand-new jeans."

Siyeon groaned. "Oh my god, I wanted to kill myself. They were expensive as well!" She pouted and Bora smiled at her, but quickly hid behind the menu she was holding.

"I think I'll just get chicken. Can't go wrong with that." She said placing the menu back on the table.

Siyeon was biting on her finger as she was reading the menu. Her eyes were focusing hard on what the restaurant offers. Bora watched her and smiled again.

"Can't decide whether it's worth it to spill the soup again?"

Siyeon shot her a death stare but immediately smiled after. Bora was always better at easing the atmosphere with her stupid jokes.

When the waiter came to them, they ordered and it got awkward again.

"So..." Siyeon leaned back in her seat and bit her lip.

"So..." Bora placed her elbows on the table leaning her head on her hands.

"Back to black hair?" Siyeon asked as her eyes scanned Bora's wavy hair. Bora took a streak of hair and played with it.

"Yeah... It's healthier and I think it suits me."

"I think every color suits you." Siyeon said and got embarrassed by her words. Did I really say that out loud?

Bora was taken by surprise but smiled at the compliment. "Thank you." She said looking away. Siyeon didn't know where to look so she pretended to check her phone.

Thankfully, the waiter came with their drinks and said the food will be ready in ten minutes. They drank a bit since no one was talking.

"Do you still dance?" Siyeon was the one to ask again. She had so many questions for the girl in front of her.

Bora nodded putting her glass down. "I have my own studio back in my hometown and I teach people."

Siyeon raised her eyebrows. She knew Bora wanted her own studio since forever.

"That's great! I'm really happy for you. I know how much you wanted it."

Bora smiled shyly looking down. "It isn't a big studio, but it's enough for me." She shrugged looking out the window. It was slowly turning to night-time as the street lamps were turning on.

"What about you Siyeon, are you still with the company?"

Siyeon shook her head and was playing with her fingers. "No, I left like a year ago. It didn't feel the same you know..."

Bora watched Siyeon as she brought her glass to her lips taking a sip. She remembered her saying that she wouldn't do any solo songs until Dreamcatcher wins an award. Once they finally did, the company immediately pushed her to it and the fans loved it. She gained more popularity, but she always remained humble and loyal to her group. It wasn't just business to her. So, she could understand why she left. It wasn't for her.

Bora zoned out, completely lost in her thoughts as she kept staring at Siyeon's lips making the other girl uncomfortable. To Siyeon's rescue, the waiter came with their food.

"So, you didn't tell me what you do now, you left the company, then what?" Bora asked cutting up her food.

"I got my degree, so I currently work as an assistant at the music academy." Siyeon smiled proudly of it.

"Shut up! No way! Damn..." Bora said it a bit too loudly making the couple close to them turn their heads.

"Wish I was that smart." Bora sighed sadly placing a piece of chicken in .

"What do you mean? You are smart." Siyeon reassured her and watched her cut her food. Bora looked up annoyed.

"Siyeon, please. The other day a client asked me to teach them tango and my dumb ears heard 'twerk'. Don't ask how. Can you imagine the horror on their face when I told them they should change into shorts so that we could see better how the shakes..."

Siyeon almost choked on her food. She imagined Bora's blank face when they told her they meant tango not twerking. She could barely calm herself down from her laughing fit. Only Bora could end up in such a situation.

She was trying to calm down and swallow the food in . Bora smiled and continued her embarrassing story. "Do I have to tell you they were a 55-year-old man?"

"Ah, Bora dammit..." Siyeon lost it and tears were now coming out of her eyes.  She tried hard not to ruin her makeup and she breathed deeply.

"I'm glad you enjoy my dumb adventures." Bora scoffed jokingly. Deep inside she was loving this. It felt so natural to make Siyeon cry laugh. Her laugh was still her favorite song. She hadn't heard it in years, but it was forever imprinted in her brain.

"You're not dumb! You're just a bit clumsy..." Siyeon smiled at her and Bora raised an eyebrow.

"Soup girl, don't talk, please."

Siyeon pretended to throw chicken at her. They were adults now, but their childish side never left them.

"Do you know anything about the girls?" Bora asked and stretched her legs under the table unintentionally touching Siyeon's, who didn't react at all. The atmosphere got better; they weren't so nervous anymore.

"I know that Yoohyeon went to the USA, Gahyeon is a student and Handong went home to China. That's about it." The thought of it again saddened her. Why couldn't they just stick together? They could all be here now and have a reunion.

"Handong is a model over there. I saw one of her ads. She looked so pretty. I think Yoohyeon also studies something? Yubin released some mixtapes, but haven't heard from her since. As for Minji, she's the only one I talk to. She owns a business in her hometown. She was supposed to move here and extend her business, but some paperwork got in the way. We visit each other whenever we find the time." Bora said and sighed loudly. She was also upset about the whole situation, but no one really had the time to find each other again.

Siyeon finished her food in silence as she got jealous over Bora's and Minji's relationship. They were always really close, so it made sense they wanted to stay friends, but Bora and her were closer. Much closer. In every sense of the word. Therefore, it stung a bit harder.

"Wanna go for a walk?" Siyeon offered as they finished up. Bora agreed and got mad at Siyeon for paying for the whole meal.

Walking out the restaurant, Bora groaned. "Next time, I'm paying!"

Siyeon could swear she had butterflies in her stomach. She walked next to Bora and watched the street lights. "So, you're saying there will be a next time?" Siyeon looked at the other girl who now bit her lip realizing what she said.

"I mean... Yes... I'd like that." Bora let her eyes meet Siyeon's. Siyeon looked away smiling at the ground. She felt like she was back in high school and her crush talked to her.

They were walking in silence as the tension was building up again. They've been ignoring the topic the whole time they were together. It still felt fresh. The wounds inside their hearts were still bleeding.

As they walked, their hands brushed more than once making the girls move away. It was like their hands were begging for that contact. To feel their palms pressed together and fingers intertwined. Each time they touched, Siyeon could feel electricity run from her hand to her stomach.

"How did you find me on that bench?" Siyeon dared to ask. She put her hands inside her pockets as it got a bit chilly. Also, to stop the constant touching.

"I was planning on visiting my friend today. I walked through the park and saw this beautiful girl that kinda looked sad. I wondered what was wrong, but as I moved closer, I realized that it was you, our emo wolf."

Siyeon nudged her playfully with her shoulder as they walked. "You said 'planning to visit a friend', I'm guessing you didn't?"

Bora nodded slowly taking slow steps right next to Siyeon. "I canceled. I said something came up. It certainly did."

Siyeon blushed when their eyes met. With one look, Bora could make her feel all emotions in the world. She hated her for it. She felt so weak.

It got really late so they decided to walk Siyeon back to her apartment. Bora said she would just take a taxi back to the place she was staying.

The night sky was beautiful as the stars were dancing with each other. It got colder and Siyeon noticed Bora's small body shivering so she took off her jacket and put it around her.

"Thank you, you didn't have to." Bora smiled and she held it close breathing in that same perfume. She crossed her arms snuggling into the warm jacket.

They were walking through a narrow street all alone with no one to disturb them. Bora just went with it. She needed to know.

"Hey, Siyeon..."

"Yes?"

"Are you still upset about it?"

"About what?"

"You know what..."

Siyeon was looking into the distance again being bombarded by her past. She ran her hand through her long hair and looked up at the moon.

"I'd really like to say I'm not, but I am." She turned to Bora who was biting down her lip.

"Siyeon, I hope you know that I've never meant to hurt you." Bora watched Siyeon carefully knowing that there was no turning back from this talk. They held it in the whole day. They held it in for years.

"I never had something so special with anyone. You were my first kiss, my first love, my first everything." Siyeon let her emotions speak as her tears were ready to crush down.

Bora swallowed a lump in as she looked down on the ground. They didn't talk for a moment just walked in silence.

"We could've worked it out, Bora." Siyeon's walk was slow and she was tired of this. This constant pain that never left her side since that day.

Bora had so much to say yet nothing came out.

Everything was fine until the company found out and threatened them. Then their parents found out and it got worse. Instead of sticking together, both were frustrated with the situation, arguments and fights happened way too often. One day, Bora couldn't do it anymore and broke up with Siyeon. Only causing more fights and heartaches, making the whole group suffer every day.

"I was afraid, Siyeon. I didn't know what to do. It was all too much for me."

Siyeon's emotions were getting the best of her and she tried hard not to let it all out now. It hurt too much. It hurt that she just walked away from her.

"I've never stopped loving you." Siyeon whispered through her tears.

Bora stopped walking pulling softly Siyeon's arm making her stop.

"But it's a bit too late for that, don't you think?" Siyeon sniffed still crying quietly. She pointed with her head on Bora's hand that was holding her arm. A wedding ring was shining in the night like the stars above them.

Bora traced Siyeon's eyes and let her hand fall. Siyeon began walking again slowly.

"I wanted to say your name when you covered my eyes... I thought it's too good to be true. I wasn't completely sure. The ring threw me off. Everything else about your hands stayed the same just how I remember."

Bora was standing still for a second closing her eyes letting tears fall down her cheeks. She wiped them away and caught up with her ex-lover.

Siyeon pointed at the five-story complex. It didn't look too luxurious, but it still looked nice. "This is me."

Bora looked over at the building and nodded looking down at her feet then back to Siyeon. Siyeon wasn't ready to say bye. Not like this. In a city with millions of people, they found each other again. It had to mean something. It had to be a sign.

"Can you stay?" Siyeon barely asked as she tried hard not to let new tears fall.

"I can't." Bora answered. She was looking at the crying girl and looked away as it was causing her too much pain. All those faded memories were like a tsunami crashing in her head.

"Bora, please..." Siyeon was shaking when she reached over to touch Bora's hand. "I miss you so much." She bit her lip and cried looking down at their hands. They still fit perfectly together as if nothing changed.

"Siyeon, I... I have to go, I'm sorry." Bora let go of Siyeon's hand and started walking away. Her jaw trembled and she pressed her lips together trying not to cry.

A sudden back hug made her exhale a faint breath. Siyeon's arms were holding Bora in place. She shut her eyes again letting tears fall on the ground.

"Don't do it again. Please. Don't walk away from me. I couldn't handle it. Not again. I won't know what to do with myself. I can't go on through life asking myself 'what if'. I can't take this anymore. I love you, Bora. Please stay." Siyeon's forehead was leaning on the back of Bora's head as she cried and begged her to change her mind. "I'm sorry, but I don't care about your marriage. I don't care if you cheat on them. Please, Bora, I need you in my life. I love you so much. I know you want this too. We're older now, we can be free. No one to break us up. Just me and you. Forever. We're meant for each other. Please, don't leave again. I'm begging you, Bora, please, don't do this to me. Don't break my heart again." Siyeon was stumbling over her words as she was now helplessly sobbing still hugging Bora from behind.

She felt Bora's soft hands on hers. Bora cried as she pulled herself out of Siyeon's grip. Siyeon was watching her shaking her head. "Please, Bora... Please... Don't do this. Don't leave me again." She begged and took a step forward trying to reach for Bora's hand again.

Bora turned around with eyes red from crying and she bit the inside of her cheek.

"I love you so much... I'm sorry, I can't." she barely whispered it through her tears and started walking away.

Siyeon wanted to scream. She wanted to run after her, try again and again until she would make her stay. Everything inside of her was telling her to go and chase her, but her body couldn't move. Her legs felt weak and she dropped down on her knees on the cold ground. She watched Bora get quickly into a taxi and disappear into the night. She let her go, again.

She raised her head to look at the stars. 

Maybe in another life, in another universe, you have stayed with me.

--

Coming back to her hometown, Bora met up with her friend at a park. "Thank you for looking after her. Jungnam and I were both so busy. Did she behave?"

Bora's friend nodded and smiled.

"Mommy, mommy!"

A little girl ran over to Bora greeting her with a hug. Bora kissed her daughter's head and fixed her hair that was all over the place.

"Mommy is that a new jacket?" The little girl touched the black jacket Bora was wearing. Bora's hand pulled the warm jacket up to her lips. She closed her eyes when the perfume hit her nose.

"No honey, it's an old one."