Afterword

Suayeon one-shots

Over 100 000 words later, this is really it. I'm done. It feels so surreal, it's kind of hard to even come up with words now. 

Some of you might be thinking: "Girl, it isn't that deep. Why are you doing an afterword? This is just fanfiction, not a book. Get off your high horse."

You're right. You're completely right. 

This is just fanfiction. Something I started for fun and to test myself.

It isn't deep. It shouldn't be deep. 

But then why do I feel so emotional about the ending? 

I'll tell you why. 

 

I've discovered Dreamcatcher last summer, and like many of you, just instantly fell in love. Everything about them, it just clicked with me. That was it. That was the K-pop group for me. I wasn't really happy at that time and they quickly became my source of happiness.

As I was trying to find more and more information about them each day, I stumbled on Twitter across Bea's aus. At first, I was confused. 

Au? Social media au? What in the world is that? 

Long story short, I was hooked. 

I've read all of them, then I found some more by other people, then some more, then I remembered that fanfiction existed. Ever since Fifth Harmony and One Direction (don't judge), I was so out of loop as to where people post fanfiction. Then I found this website. 

It was really confusing at first, but I managed to find my way around. I read everything I could find, but my main focus was on Suayeon. Why them? I don't know. There was just something about them. 

So, eventually, I began reading Rose's Siyeon sugar mommy fic. Yes, yes, this one. I was having the time of my life when I noticed her last update was in spring 2019.

WHAT? 

No, no, you can't do this to me. 

Fortunately, she had her Twitter linked on her profile and I saw she had a Curious Cat, where you can send questions. You best believe I asked her if she could pretty please continue the fic and she replied along the lines of: "Oh, I will, sorry I forgot, but I'll do Fictober 2019 first!" 

Fictober? 

Fic...October?

Oh, I get it. 

...

What's that?

My google search lead me to Tumblr. Turns out, it's a writing event where you are given 31 prompts for the 31 days in October and you just... write. 

Cool. 

...

Should I do it? 

Okay, how about I do it with Suayeon? 

Yes? 

It will be easy, just write. 

What's so hard about that?

Those were my initial thoughts because I was still so pumped about reading aus and fics, I just wanted to do it myself. 

Then I remembered, I in high school with (creative) writing. Believe it or not, I used to get A's in English for my essays on various topics, but writing those in class under pressure isn't the same as writing something creatively and for people to enjoy. 

I was having second thoughts, but the whole idea was way too intriguing to me and I just had to try it. 

I was always the fanfiction reader, never the writer. Why not give it a shot?

If it , it . Who cares?

I will write for myself, to see how far my creativity can go.

You probably noticed that I kept it "realistic". With that, I mean that I stayed within them as people. I didn't make the girls vampires or I don't know, police officers, etc. It would have been fun and it would be easier to think of an idea for the next one, but it would be harder to write as it would require a lot more creativity and I didn't think I was ready for that. 

Let's just keep them as Siyeon and Bora in the K-pop group Dreamcatcher and see where my mind takes me with each prompt.

I would look at each prompt and see if anything pops into my head just by looking at each sentence. Some were really easy, the idea for the story would immediately develop and boom done. I just had to write it. 

Some were hard to think of though. Really hard. 

With some, I had the idea, but just wasn't feeling it and I didn't want to think of something else, so I forced myself to write it. That's why some one-shots were good, some weren't so good. 

It was truly a love-hate relationship. 

I started off perfectly, new day, new story, but then I missed a day, soon two, and I realized I can't keep up with the Fictober tempo.

I will just have to post them when I can. the rules. 

With each one-shot, I got more and more comments and they made me so happy. People were actually reading and enjoying this challenge I set to myself. It gave me motivation to continue and try to do better each time. So, to anyone who left a comment, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You have no idea how much they meant to me. To those who were shy to comment, I understand, thank you for reading, regardless.

As I was writing, I wanted to find all those people who were reading my work, so I searched Twitter in hope that someone, somewhere, mentioned my one-shots. That was when I found a picture edit that Kan posted.

If you're reading this right now, everything on Twitter sort of began with you. Through you, I have found other readers and I'm just really thankful that you made that picture edit of Yubin reading the one-shots... (Yubin, if you do read them, dm me!) But yeah, I will always remember that edit and how everything progressed since then. You were always complimenting me or tweeting how you just finished reading the latest one. You said once that you were my number one fan and I found that funny because it was so crazy to me that someone would enjoy my work. All I could do is panic and spam you the word "ragazza" each time I could because it was one of the ten words, okay, okay, five words I knew in Italian. It's a really crazy story and in my heart, you'll always be my ragazza and someone I'm just happy to have met. I'll always remember you. I still want to give you that drawing on the tile. I love you. 

I was loving life, interacting with people on Twitter from all over the world. I felt so happy and free. I could be myself without anyone to judge me. 

I thought people liking the one-shots was crazy enough, but then the ridiculously talented LoneMoon posted her drawing of one of the scenes in the one-shots. I was so shocked that someone would take their time and draw something I wrote. If you're reading this, thank you for that first drawing and all the others that followed through. I know you would have wanted to do more, but rest your wrist for a second, will you? Thank you again for brainstorming with me on the 30th one-shot. I'm really happy to have found such a crackhead like you and I love how we went from that interaction to this awesome friendship. 

I've also talked to other writers and readers, and the whole thing just felt so wholesome to me, like some big family. To all the other writers who are reading this, you guys are great and I love reading your stories, keep them coming!  

I'll also take this opportunity to thank Sara68650 (Twitter) again for suggesting the idea for the 28th one-shot. You really saved my back then. 

To end it all, these one-shots wouldn't exist without Rose mentioning Fictober to me in her reply to my question, which is so mind-blowing. I probably wouldn't have done any writing at all, but those prompts and the whole creative aspect of it was what drew me in. So thank you, Rose, so so much.  

 

So that's why. 

That's why this means so much to me. 

These silly one-shots made me connect to a group of people at the time where I felt so alone. It's so beautiful to me how something so small, so insignificant at first, can later mean so damn much.

I sincerely hope all of this doesn't come off as pretentious and can inspire you to start your own work. Don't listen to others, just write and let yourself go. You'll get better each time and the whole process is so great to look back on.

I will go back and "clean" them up a bit, maybe then post them to ao3 as well, but maybe not. I kind of really like our little community here.

I would love to know which one-shot was your favorite, your thoughts on everything. One last comment of yours. 

There were a lot of wishes for a part two on many one-shots. Hm. No promises, but I'll think about it. 

For now, I will relax a bit, because this did take a toll on me. I started on October 1st and today is March 16th. Like I said before, I loved doing this, but it was hard. I'm just really glad I'm finished and can move on to other ideas and believe me, I have a whole lot of them.

So, with that, I promise I'll be back soon with something else so keep an eye out for that!

Take care guys and thank you once again so much!