Catching Up

Crossover

I decided to talk a walk in the garden after dinner. My mind can't stop thinking since last night after seeing hyung. It was obvious that he is ignoring me. How could he? We have not seen each other for 10 years and now he is completely ignoring me? It was obvious that he recognized me last night and he was doing all his means to ignore me. I understand he left the house because my parents are insisting that hyung follows what they want, but how could he treat me this way? As if I'm not his sister? How?!

I saw a bench near the fountain but before I can even took a step to it, I was pulled from the arms to the dark area of the garden. As soon as I saw it was hyung, tears started to pool around my eyes. My hand turned into a fist, pinning him with my hard stare. I don't want us to talk like this but I am so hurt by what he did last night and this morning.

I don't even care if my tears are already falling. It was dark anyway and I'm sure he wouldn't notice it. My chest tightened, I clumped my mouth so I can cry in silent. 

'Am I even your sister?' I hissed in whisper, worried that someone might hear us. It's obvious that he doesn't want others to know we're related.

He took a deep breath, holding my arm tightly.

'Why are you here?'

'Why am I here? You know why hyung!' I said even with my voice shaking.

'They asked you to come here right? How could they be? They're putting your life into danger Mi-na!'

As soon as I heard him say my name, I quickly step towards him, embracing him. 'I miss you hyung. I miss you!' I cried in his chest.

He peeled my arms around his waist, pushing me from my shoulder.

'Go home Mi-na. I won't leave this place. I have spent more than half of my life with Tae-Goo. I am accepted here as what I am.'

'No, don't say that hyung' I chase his arms, begging at him. 'I have risked my life in coming here just to get you. How could you forget me, us? We are miserable without you. We are family hyung, family stays together. Our parents -'

'Family?' He cut my words with sarcasm. 'I was never part of the family Mi-na. They are your parents, not mine. They'll use me just like how they are using you now. I heard you're a doctor now, so you followed what they want for you? How about what you want Mi-na? Are you happy being this way?'

I blinked several times after hearing his outburst. He never felt part of the family? And what about the time when went on a trip with out parents, did he went with us  obligated? Those times the two of us went to buy ice cream in the convenience store? Did he forced himself to go with me? The entire time he was with us, he wasn't happy? Not even once?

He swallowed hard seeing the pain in my eyes. I quickly s my arms from his back when he turned away from me.

'Don't leave me hyung please.' I pleaded, resting the side of my face in his back. 'Let's go back home.'

He wiggled but I tightened my arms more but my strength are nothing compared to his. His was able to peel my arms and pushed me. I almost lose balance.

'You are crazy for coming here. You know master won't let you go until Tae-Goo is well. You might be lucky if you get out from here alive. I don't care what they do to you. Don't even think that I'll come back with you.' he said irritated at me.

'Fine!' I held my chin high, narrowing my eyes to him. 'You don't want to leave this place? I'll stay here then!'

His brows furrowed. I continued not caring about anything.

'I'll stay here until I change your mind. I'll do everything to make you change mind, even if that mean's selling my soul to your master.'

He tried to leave again but I held on to his arms.

'Even if that means playing with Tae-Goo-ssi.' I whispered.

He pulled me closer to him by my arms. I feel his nails dig my arms with his tight hold.

'Don't even try Mi-na!' He hissed in my ears. 'You don't know what Tae-Goo can do once he knows what's your up to.'

I gritted my teeth when he pushed me letting go of my arms.

'Watch me hyung!' I challenged him.

I left him shutting his mouth and face darkened.

My steps are heavy as I walked back to my room. I am so mad and frustrated with everything he said earlier. I can't believe hyung, how could he say those words? I want to regret coming here, but I can't just go back to Korea without him. I usually don't give up easily. As a matter of fact, all my life I've been trying to fight for what I want but just didn't won. I thought it will be easy getting hyung, but I was wrong. He himself doesn't want to go home.

'Oh you're here!' Daepyonim, Tae-Goo's father was sitting nearby window in the living room.

I bow slightly to greet the old man. I wonder where he had been for the past days I have not seen him. Tae-Goo said it was for business but it is still unclear to me what business they are running.

He was wearing a big smile that it makes me feel awkward. He was wearing a brown cardigan, black slacks and soft slipper. Watching him sitting there with a book in his hand, he seems to be a man who lives a simple life, well with the excemption of this mansion.

'I saw Tae-Goo earlier and he seems doing well. Thank you Mi-na-ssi.'

He closed his book and stood up watching me walk towards him. With all the riches they have I wonder why did he pick me. He can even brought his son to US and have an expert look at him.

I shook my head, trying my best to smile. 'Your son is doing well daepyonim.'

'I heard you and Tae-Goo went out yesterday? You've been getting along with him?'

I noticed a little teasing in his voice. I didn't answer him with the hope that he won't mention it again. I don't have a concrete plan yet about Tae-Goo-ssi, in the first place I didn't came here for that reason.

'You know Tae-Goo is really a good son, if not just for his illness he won't be like that. I heard from my men that a lot of women like him, some would just even throw themselves to Tae-Goo. They're pretty, educated and came from rich families. I understand them, it's not hard to fall for my son, do you agree?'

I smiled a bit to hide with my nervousness.

'How old are you Dr Yoo?'

'I'm 30 years old daep-'

'30?' he cut me and smile wide that almost reach his ears. 'Look at that! 30 years old and a doctor. Just the right time to get married Dr Yoo.'

I shook my head. 'It has not crossed my mind yet daepyonim.'

'Really?' he chuckled 'Tae-Goo, I thought you're going out with your friends tonight?'

I turned to my back and saw Tae-Goo walking towards us. His eyes hard at his father and brows furrowed, and I suddenly feel nervous.

He's wearing a black shirt that fit just about right to his body. His black ripped jeans jung lazily on his belt.

His furrowed brows turned into a deep frown, his steps are determined as if no one can't stop him. I looked away when he turned to me.

'Is it true that you closed my casino in Jeju?' He shouted at his father. 'I told you not to meddle with my business!' He turned to me from time to time which makes me uncomfortable standing here listening to what seems to be a business matter. His intense eyes seems to be poking. I took a deep breath and was about to excuse myself when daepyonim spoke.

'Arasso, don't be mad and I'll call your men in Jeju. Mi-na-ssi is here, don't show your unruly behaviour.'' he turned to me 'Enjoy your vacation Mi-na-ssi and I hope you and Tae-Goo get a long.

I feel like palming my forehead with what daepyonim just did. I watched Tae-Goo's back as he raked his hair, probably calming himself. I heard his deep sigh before he spoke to me.

'Miyanhe, I lost my temper again.' he remained in his place watching me.

I shook my head and smile slightly at him. 'It's normal, we get mad at times.'

'Have you had dinner?' he took a step toward me making me nervous. His deep frown is now gone and he is sporting a soft look in his eyes as he watch me. He tilted his head to look at me intently.

'Yes, thank you.'

'What did you and appa talked earlier?'

I look away not knowing if I'll answer him honestly, but that would be embarassing. 'It's nothing. He just asked me how I am doing here.'

'Is that so? Didn't he told you that a lot of women fall for me? He probably told you that we're a good match, did he?'

Was he listening to us earlier? He smirked at looks amuse with my uncomfort. My heated face probably gave me away which is he laugh echoing in the living room. I looked away while he continued to laugh.

What a conceited man he is. Does he think that I'm like those ladies that will fall for him? Even if that's what I told hyung, that won't happen. Even if he is attractive, that won't happen.

He walked towards me, but stopped too close that I can almost feel his breath on my face and he took my wrist. What is he doing? I wiggled my wrist from his hold making us look into each other.

'I'm sorry, it's just..' I placed my hands behind my back 'I'm not feeling well today.' I realized my excuse was a mistake cause he placed his hand on my forehead feeling my temperature.

'It seems you're a little hot. Is it because I am this close to you?' I was about to complain when he laugh.

I sighed when I realized he was just teasing me. I should stop overthinking. In a few weeks I'll be back in Korea and he will be just someone I know in the past.

'Come on' He pat my arm. 'I'll take you to your room, you look exhausted. What did you do today?'

I sighed remembering my conversation with hyung earlier and how his words has pained me. I told him how my day was and realized what I did today wasn't even exhausting, I strolled for a few hours outside but didn't go far worried that I'll get lost. I was about enter my room when he placed his arm in the other door jamb blocking my way, I almost kiss his arm.

'Shall we go out tomorrow? How about the museums?'

I should be glad, things seems to be falling in to places for me. Tae-Goo makes my mission easier for me. It looks like Tae-Goo is my only ticket to have hyung go back home with me.

'Why are you frowning at me?' he smiled poking my forehead. I blinked several times after hearing what he said. I removed his arm from the door jamb and was about to let go when he held my hand making me frown again at him.

'I'll fetch you here tomorrow and we'll have lunch before we go to the museums. What do you think?'

I look at him looking at my hand as if it's something amazing. 'Arasso.' I said in my weak voice.

After taking a shower, I sat in my bed thinking about other ways I can convince hyung. I have no plans on using Tae-Goo, he doesn't deserve that. He had enough misery in his life for me to add to it. My goal is to help him get well and hyung to go back home with me. Whether hyung doesn't go home which I realized I couldn't do anything about it, at least Tae-Goo will get well. It's my sworn with the career I have.

I jumped a bit when I saw ahjumma inside my room.

'Miyanhe Dr Yoo, it seems you didn't heard my knock so I went inside.' She placed a tray with a cup of tea in my bedside table. 'Boss asked me to bring this here.'

'Boss? oh oppa?'

She giggled when she heard me call Tae-Goo oppa.

'I mean Tae-Goo-ssi.'

'It's alright Dr Yoo. I'm happy that you and boss are getting along.'

'It's not like that.' I sip the tea to hide my face in embarassment. 

'Boss is doing well. He had been laughing a lot, I thought I wouldn't hear him laugh anymore. Thank you Dr Yoo.'

'I didn't do anything actually. He helps himself that's why.'

'Your better that the other ladies boss have.'

I can't stop coughing when I heared that. Ahjumma robbed my back until my coughing stopped. 'Ahjumma why would you say that?'

'Miyanhe. Its just that though Tae-Goo is like that, he is really nice and sweet when he was young. If he got someone who is caring and would really love him, he would be the happiest. And I want that for him, I want him to be the happiest.'

Love? I laughed mockingly. I don't know really what it means. I've buried myself with family and work that I haven't met that. But seeing a lot of marriages and relationship breaking down, I wonder if it's worth having. Wasn't hyung who said he didn't felt love in our family? Then I wonder what love is if it's not what we gave him.

I patted ahjumma's hand as I saw her teary-eyes. Tae-Goo is still lucky to be surrounded by people who cared for him.