Almost Perfect

Crossover

'I saw your husband yesterday Dr Yoo.'

I stilled stirring my coffee and turned to Yuri. I looked around worried that someone might hear her inside the cafeteria. I swallowed before moving closer to her. I'm thankful there were just a few people in the cafeteria this time. Not that I'm afraid for them to know about it, Tae-Goo is really the father of Young-Hwi, I'm not lying on that part, it's just Yuri mentioned 'husband' making me uncomfortable. Let's not forget he was seen on TV with some actress though that was several months ago and it has not happened again.

'Ah, yeah, uhm, he ah usually picks up our son from school.'

'Daebak Dr Yoo, your husband is amazing, very hands-on ah. You should give Young-Hwi a sister soon - '

I almost spilled my coffee when I heard her say that. She was watching me while she took a bite at her sandwich. I shook my head and took a sip of my coffee instead of answering her.

'I'll go ahead Yuri. See you around!'

I was dismayed that she followed me.

'I'll go with you, I need to check something on the nurse section anyway.'

Yuri continued to ask about how it is to have a husband nearby. I tried to answer her as short as possible.

Young-Hwi is extermely happy everytime he spends time with his father. My parents know Young-Hwi is seeing his father often, I'm surprised they were pleased upon hearing it. I guess age does makes us more forgiving of people.

I was preparing my stuff when my phone rang and got a call from an unknown number. I answered it worried that it might be one of my patients.

'Yo -

'Omma!'

I turned my head away from my phone chuckling upon hearing Young-Hwi's voice in the other line.

'Oh Young-Hwi, why are you calling me? I'm on my way to your school. Did you borrow your teacher's phone?'

'Ani. Appa is here, this is appa's phone.'

I could hear him getting breathless, and Tae oppa's deep voice in the breakdown telling Young-Hwi to calm down. Aigoo, he probably had a lot of sweets again.

'Appa said I can play until 10pm tonight in his house. He said it's okay, tomorrow is Saturday.'

After a lot of convincing I finally agreed to Tae oppa to let Young-Hwi sleep in his house this Friday. I'm worried, it will be the first time that Young-Hwi will sleep without me on his side. But hearing his excited voice assures me he'll be okay. I'm sure Tae oppa will take care of him.

I took a sigh realizing that this will break Young-Hwi's sleeping pattern. He always sleep at 8pm, it will be difficult for him if he will be use sleeping late.

'Young-Hwi..'

'Omma, why won't you sleep in appa's place tonight? We will - '

'Ya!' I took a deep breath, trying not to loose my mind with what Young-Hwi just said. I could also hear Tae oppa asking Young-Hwi to give the phone to him but he just won't budge.

'Omma -'

'Give the phone to your appa and I'll talk to him.'

'But can I stay late tonight omma?'

I know he won't stop until he gets what he wants. 'Kre, but just tonight alright? Just when you sleep in appa's place. At home you still need to sleep by 8pm.'

'Arasso omma.' he quietly agreed.

'What's wrong? I already said yes.'

'It's just that..why don't we live in one house omma like my classmates?'

My heart breaks hearing the sadness in my son's voice.

'Yoboseyo?'

I blinked several times upon hearing Tae oppa's voice in the other line. I don't know how to reach to his deep voice that once allured me.

'Mi-Na can you hear me?'

His voice was soft and formal. I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I left out a sigh.

I cleared my throat and hope I won't sound nervous. 'What is it?'

'I was not able to get Young-Hwi's milk and I don't have time to look for it. Could you drop it in the office? We'll wait for it before we head home.'

I repeated in my mind what he said, I didn't get it earlier as I was entralled with his deep voice.

'Miyanhe for the sudden request. I hope I'm not disturbing your plans for tonight. Are you going out tonight?'

'It's okay, I'm already outside. I'll just drop it at your office.'

'If I'm not here cause Young-Hwi already wanted to go home. Can you go to my apartment instead?'

'You're asking too much.'

'I know and I'm really sorry it's just - '

'It's okay. I'll bring it there.'

'Thanks. I hope you're not tired. Did you have a lot of patients today?'

I gigled hearing shuffles of paper and Young-Hwi's voice in the background. He must be probably finishing his work.

'Just like the usual. Uh - what are you having for dinner tonight?' I close my eyes, finding it awkward to talk on the phone with him.

'You can have dinner at home Mi-Na, with us.'

'Ani...ani, I'm just thinking if Young-Hwi will like it. You know he's a picky eater.'

'I know, he does takes after me. I'm the father after all.'

I suppress my laugh, not knowing how to react on that. I cleared my throat, realizing I am having too much talking with him on the phone.

'I have to go oppa!' I hurriedly said too late to realize what I just called him. I quickly end the call in my embrassment. I continued to listen in the other line even though I already ended the call. I slowly placed my phone in my bag when I heard car honking at my back.

I decided to buy Young-Hwi's milk in the grocery nearby and drop it at the receptionist table. I decided not to see Young-Hwi anymore as it will be harder for me to bade goodbye.

I was laughing at Dr Lee's story about one of his patient today who was panicking upon seeing a syringe.  We were with some of our collegues whose shift has ended as well and they planned to have a drink. They want me to come but I politely decline. I bade my goodbye as soon as the elevator hit the ground floor.

'Are you sure you won't come with us?' Dr Lee asked again.

I shook my head, smiling at them. We continued to walk in the lobby. 'I had to do some stuff tonight at home.'

'Oh, your son is here.' One of the nurse in our group pointed at the child running in the lobby.

I was about to call Young-Hwi when Tae oppa approached him. I looked around. Even my colleagues are eyeing Young-Hwi and Tae oppa especially that they are approaching us. Young-Hwi's hand was clasped in his father's preventing him from running towards me. He let go of Young-Hwi when they are almost in front of us.

'Omma I miss you!' Young-Hwi hug my legs. I kissed his head, laughing at him. Aigoo, my son is so sweet. I can feel Tae oppa's gaze at me. He was wearing a gray loose shirt but the evidence of his wide shoulder and hard chest makes him look hot even more, black jeans and slippers. Young-Hwi is also on a casual every day outfit just like his dad. He probably went to our house and pick up Young-Hwi. Know that my parents are okay with him he comes to our house freely and play with Young-Hwi. I'm glad Tae-oppa didn't persist on our last discussion but it looks like it is there where he is headed.

'Are you done?' Tae oppa asked reaching for my bag as if he does that everyday.

Before I could answer, I heard the clearing of throat of Dr Lee making others laugh.

Tae oppa looked at me and pulled me beside him, placing his hand on the side of my waist which made me hitched my breath. Omo..I could feel my face heating up with his sudden move. I didn't realize my hold on Young-Hwi's hand tighten.

'Anyeong haseyo.' Tae oppa reached his hand for a shakehand to all my collegues. ' Mo Tae-Goo-imnida. Cheoeum boepgesseumnida.'

'Oh he's your husband Dr Yoo?!' One of the nurse in our group reacted.

Husband? I almost had a heart attack with she said. They were all looking at Tae oppa and Young-Hwi.

'Anyeon haseyo..' Young-Hwi softly said which made them all laugh.

'Omo..you're so cute.' Someone pinched Young-Hwi's cheeks. 'You look like your father Young-Hwi-ssi.'

'Did you hear that appa? I look like you. My dongsaeng should look like omma!'

I look down at Young-Hwi hiding my embarassment. Aigoo..Young-Hwi be careful with your words please, I wanted to tell him. Everyone was laughing their hearts out at Young-Hwi's comment. They were busy introducing themselves to Tae oppa after.

'You should have told me you're coming.' I whispered to him when we were walking towards the parking lot.

'Wae? Young-Hwi wants to pick you up from work.'

He continued to look at me intently.

'Omma, are you happy we're here? Appa said we'll like it if we pick you up.'

I snorted hearing our son said that. Huh, Young-Hwi wants to pick me up from work!

'What? It was you who asked me to bring you here!' Tae oppa was laughing at his son. I didn't missed when his hand on my side moved to my shoulder. I shook my head smiling upon seeing how red his neck is.

I raised my brows at him not convinced with his answer.

'Honestly Mi-Na, Young-Hwi asked me.' He assured me. 'Ya, Young-Hwi come here and explain it to your omma.' he called Young-Hwi who is running again.

Aigoo, this father and son duo are really something.

Appa invited Tae oppa for dinner at home. I noticed how he had been close to my family especially to Young-Hwi in the past months. Tae oppa is very patient with Young-Hwi, he makes sure he's always there for him and he attends all his school programs. My parents are pleased with him as well, they'll talk about his business and Tae oppa shows interest in the retirement activities of my parents. I couldn't even get stay mad at him, it was obvious he loves our son so much and respect my parents. It was all perfect, a happy and complete family, almost too good to be true. That even bothered me even more. It was like a bomb ticking in my mind ready to explode anytime, waiting and waiting for the time he will be gone again in our life.

'Are you okay?'

I looked at the coat oppa placed on my shoulder as we walk towards his car infront of our house.

'You seem quiet in the dinner.' Tae oppa commented. 'You can tell me if there's something bothering you.'

I stop and turn to him, contemplating if I should really be honest on my fears about him. He'd been gone two times in my life and I was able to survive, it was hard for me, how much more it would be for Young-Hwi.

'It's like I'm on a dream lately.' I told him softly. I look away from him, turning my eyes to the bright stars in the sky.

'This is all true Mi-Na, and it will be like this always if you'll just let me be.'

I shook my head not wanting to be swayed by his words. I felt his hand on mine and my eyes followed it. His touch has always felt good. He stopped me from walking further but I continued looking away, afraid of what I'll see in his eyes. His touch and eyes would always makes me tremble. I shook my head and took my hand away from him. I took a step back to give us distance.

'Stop running away from me.' His voice is deeper now.

'I'm not. I'm the one trying to keep a clear head between us.' I said calmy, worried that Young-Hwi might be watching us from the window.

'Is that okay with you? Seeing our son cries everytime I leave? Don't you think you're hurting him -

My eyes rounded at what he said. He's all red now, obviously stopping himself from shouting at me.

'I'm hurting my son?'

'Our son Mi-Na!' He implies.

I swallowed the lump in my throat when I saw him took a step closer to me, pulling my arms toward him. I'm not sure if he can see that I'm nervous.

'Don't do anything stupid!' I warned him watching him turn his eyes on my lips.

'I don't want to blame anyone Mi-Na. I'm here trying to fix our situation.'

'We're okay being like this. Don't push it further.' I insisted.

His jaw clenched. I met his eyes, trying to look fine.

'Young-Hwi is not okay!'

I was surprised with what he said. Is Young-Hwi saying something to him that I don't know?

'And I am not okay with this.' He groaned 'I don't want to going back to my place without Young-Hwi..and..you.'

I my lower lip with the last words he said. Why is he being like this again? I thought we're already done with this. I thought he's okay with just visiting Young-Hwi.

'Why are you being like this?' I made my voice firmer to hide my nervousness.

'Why do I keep coming back to you Mi-Na?' He pulled me towards a tree, making me lean to it and close the distance between us. My hands immediately went to his chest to stop him but I was too weak.

He crouched and the next thing I felt was the soft touch of his lips with mine. He kissed my upper lip and then pull then turned to my lower lip, it. He then dive for a deeper kiss making me turned my face toward him. I felt his hand at the back of my head, angling it for a better access. I felt his tongue at the corners of my mouth. I almost melted with how soft it felt making me shudder.

I felt we were back to the first time we kissed in Madrid but this time, it was more intensed.

'Please give me another chance Mi-Na.' He said in a cracked voice.