Clarify

Crossover

'Mi-Na, come here, pali!' So-Yeon called while cleaning her toenails. 'Too bad you went home early last night. Pali, sit here!'

I rolled my eyes at So-Yeon's excitement. I comb my hair with my fingers, it was still a little wet from my shower earlier. 'What is it?' I'm sure it's office gossip again. If So-Yeon applied for Dispatch, they would immediately hire her. I passed by the living room where she is seated and went to the kitchen to make myself a cup of coffee and sandwhich. As soon as I sat beside her, she started talking about the single guys in their office.

'Aish..I was supposed to introduce you to Beom-Soo, he's the good-looking guy in our IT department. I think you two will hit it up.' she continued babbling without looking at me.

I shook my head, I'm really not interested in dating anyone right now. Knowing Tae-Goo cheated on me was a proof that its really hard to trust guys nowadays. He was probably laughing at me all those times we were together. Am I really that gullible that even someone like Tae-Goo can fool me? I should have not underestimated him. It made me furious thinking about it. I should've known right? With his looks, someone like me is just an easy prey for him. I don't want to feel bitter, but I know I am. I sighed and nodded at whatever So-Yeon is saying without really understading her.

'Oh you agree? I told you Tae-Goo-sii is handsome.'

I almost choke on my coffee and quickly shook my head. 'Ani, ani..miyanhe, I was thinking of something So-Yeon, I was not agreeing with what you said.'

'Aish!' She nudged me. 'It's okay if you find him attractive. It would be weird if you don't, you know.'

'I don't. And I don't care if that makes me weird!' I snapped at her making her look at me intently.

'Ya, why are you hot-headed today? You should loosen up when it comes to guys you know. At your age right now, you should had 5 boyfriends already.'

I shook my head and look at my coffee while listening to So-Yeon's rant about me being single.

'...just look at what happened last night. You left early when I was supposed to introduce  you to someone. Are you scared?'

'Ani..' I answered silently.

'Then why are you not interested in dating? If I won't drag you, won't even bother going on the blind dates you omma had set up. If you continue being like this, you'll really end up being alone. You know I'll get married next year Mi-Na, I don't want to leave you living like this!' So-Yeon's rant continued in the living room. 'I saw your reaction when Tae-Goo-ssi helped you last night. You just ran away without even saying thanks to that handsome, kind man. That was so rude of you, where were your manners? What if he knew you're a doctor acting like that?'

'You saw that?'

I sighed when she nodded.

'That was another opportunity you just dismissed. You could have said thanks, and since you're pretty of course Tae-Goo-ssi, who knows, might be attracted to you and then you'll be da-'

'Never!' I immediately cut her words in a high-pitched voice as if it was disgusting.

'Ya!' So-Yeon put down the nail pusher and stared at me. 'Why are you shouting at me? Is it really that bad to be dating?'

'I'm really not interested So-Yeon.' this topic is tiring me, I hope So-Yeon will just give it a rest.

She took my hand and look at me intently. 'You know if you have something you want to tell me, I can listen to you and won't judge you Mi-Na. I've been thinking about it and I apologize for being insensitive..are you somehow..uh..you know..are you attracted to women?'

I glared at So-Yeon but she continued.

'Am I right? You can tell me you know. I'll even help you tell it to your parents..'

'Tae oppa is my ex!'

It seems time stops as soon as I blurted that out. So-Yeon's jaw is wide open as she stare at me. 'O-op-pa??' she is asked in unbelief. 

I peeled my hand away from her hold and took the cup of coffee playing it in my hand. 'I met him in Madrid and had a relationship with him while I was there.' I said calmly.

'Oh..Wow...' So-Yeon must have been out of words for reacting just like that. She took her nail pusher and started working on her toenails again and after a while started laughing so loud that made my forehead crease at her as if she's getting crazy. 'So that attractive, one hell of a lot y guy was your ex Mi-Na??' she looked at me in big eyes 'Daebak! In that three months you had relationship with him? That was quick!'

'Ya!'

'It doesn't matter. Your standards are really high ah, I guess you're really choosy. And being sajangnym's friend, I'm sure he's filthy rich.'

I wonder if So-Yeon heard about the news about Tae-Goo. She quickly put down her foot and turned to me.

'How was he as a boyfriend? And did you kiss? Kyaaa!' her fingers in her lips while waiting for my answer.

'Can we stop talking about him So-Yeon? It didn't  went well, alright?' I told her just so she'll stop asking about it.

'You should have told me about him while you were in Madrid.' she hit my arm. 'Aigoo..it would be hard for you to date someone again, no one can compete with Tae-Goo-ssi. Make sure that next guy you date is better than him..well if there's a guy like that or else Tae-Goo-ssi will laugh at you.'

I shook my head. 'He isn't like that So-Yeon.'

'Daebak, you really know him well.'

'Aish!' I raise my fist to hit her but she already grabbed the throw pillow in her back. I took a sigh giving up on this woman. 'What I meant is, he is a busy man, he doesn't have time for that.'

'Okay, last question..why did you broke up?'

That question stilled me for awhile. How do I explain it to her? Everything was so complicated. I just shook my head not knowing how to answer her but So-Yeon misinterpreted my silence again.

'Miyanhe, it was your first love right? It probably hurt until now.' she tried to embrace me but I shoed her hands away.

I groaned. 'Ya, it wasn't like that!'

'Oh? Basing on last night it seems like you haven't moved on yet.'

I emptied my cup of coffee and  turn on the TV without answering her. Let her think what she wants, I don't want to think about him or anything related to him.

Days flew past and I'm  back to work again. I regretted not traveling during my leave. I spent those days staying at the apartment, sleeping all day, catching up on dramas and reading books. What a waste especially that So-Yeon would always pester me with a lot of questions about Tae-Goo. I think that was my worst time-off. So-Yeon's questions have been stressing me out. Look at what happened just now, I forgot my lunch box so I'm on my way back to my clinic. Aigoo my skin, I probably have more wrinkles. I was alone in the lift so I check my reflection on the door. I frowned feeling little bumps on my face. I need to visit a der - I let out a squeal when the door suddenly opened  and our chief step inside.

'Oh Dr Yoo!'

'A-a-nyeong haseyo Chief.' It wasn't the chief who was making me stutter but the person with him. I turned to my side, closing my eyes tightly. I'm probably hallucinating, he can't be here right? This is So-Yeon's fault! She had been mentioning his name constantly and now I'm seeing him even in the hospital.

'...I was expecting a little better but I guess it's okay.'

I opened my eyes upon hearing that familiar low husky voice, it was really Tae-Goo talking with chief! He can't possibly have any connection with the chief right? I took a deep breath hoping it will ease the pounding of my heart. 

I keep my eyes on numbers moving and wonder what floor are they --- whoa that was quick. What a relief I won't have to endure more time with them.. I look at chief with a big smile, slighlty bowing to Tae-Goo but didn't dare to look into his eyes.

'..kre..call me when there's any update.' Chief turned to me 'Have a good day Dr Yoo.'

'Ne..' I answered softly, waiting for Tae-Goo to step out of the elevator since chief already left. My jaw was wide open upon seeing him press the close button. I turned to him with big eyes, realizing I am looking like a fool here. I turn away from him closing my eyes tightly. I run a silent prayer in my mind for my weak soul. I feel my cheeks heating realizing we are breathing the same air in this secluded elevator. Omo, this is so intimate and is making me awkward. I swallowed the lump on my throat and tried to check his reflection in the elevator. I don't know if I should feel relieved or hurt that he was looking straight at his reflection as if I'm not there.

He was casually dress in a blue long sleeve and black slacks that are loose on his thighs. Both hands are on his pocket while he stares at himself, I couldn't really tell, he was wearing this dark shades that I always see on him in Madrid. He looks so neat, his short hair away from his eyes and the side of his face exposes his facial features that would always make any woman take a second look at him. I can't remove from my mind that once in my life I dated this man.

His mouth twisted ily, something must be bothering him. He cleared his throat and that's when I realized the elevator is already in halt. I quickly, almost run away in embarassment. Aigoo, did he caught me staring at him?

As soon as I entered my clinic I saw the lunch box in my table. I was about to grab when my phone started ringing. Its So-Yeon. I roll my eyes. What is it this time? I'm sure she'll go ballistic if I told her I was in elevator with Tae-Goo and with her advance thinking she'll think Tae-Goo and I are getting back.

'Wae?'

'Yah! Mi-Na, where are you? You said you're off early today, our apartment is just a few minutes away! What's taking you so long? Someone broke into our unit!'

'Bwo? Someone broke into our apartment?' I keep my phone closer to my earts and I did hear So-Yeon dragging furnitures. 'Kre..I'll be there.' I grab my lunch box and went out. I tried not to panic but I'm really worried that someone might still be there and So-Yeon might get hurt. I was about to lock the door when someone from my back turn the knob opening the door and pushed me inside, locking the door afterwards.

'Ya! Why are you -?'

Tae-Goo covered my mouth with his hand while he continue to talk to someone in his phone, cursing. He points the couch in my corner. 'Go sit and be quiet!' He instructed me like a child.

'Ya!'

I tried to complain but he drag me to the couch and made me sit there. I was left with no choice but to follow him. I saw Tae-Goo running his palm down his face while he keeps walking back and forth in front of me. He dishelved his hair muttering curses to the person he is talking to. I almost jumped off when he suddenly punch the wall. What is happening with him? Is he having another relapse? I suddenly remember So-Yeon in the apartment. Ani, I shouldn't be bothered about him. I have more important matters to attend to.

'I'm going to kill Hyun-Ho for leaving that place!' His face grew darker, he looked menacing, ruthless and cruel.

I sigh in exasperation seeing him behave like this. I thought he's already well.

I quickly run to the door and left Tae-Goo in there, I don't care if he leaves the clinic open. So-Yeon and the apartment is more important.

'Stop right there Mi-Na!'

I cursed myself upon seeing Tae-Goo walking after me. Since he's steps are wide and quick he will catch up on me any minute now. I turned to the fire exit stairs upon seeing the elevator will take long before it gets to where I am. 

'Stop running away, you're just tiring yourself!' I heard Tae-Goo shouted.

'You stop running after me. I have an emergency right now.' I shouted back at him. I just hope no one takes the stairs as well. He's steps keeps getting nearer and nearer until I felt being grabbed by my arm.

'Ya! Let me go!' I tried to hit his chest but he held it with his another hand. Catching my breath, I give up fighting him. I can never win with his strength.

'Stop fighting me Mi-Na.' he said softly as if he means another thing.

I scowled at him and wiggled my hand. 'Let me go! So-Yeon needs me.'

'Don't worry Kwok-Han and hyung are there and Hyun-Ho will be there too any minute now.'

I had my mouth open, unable to say anything with what he just said. It's as if he admitted that they are really here, him and his men for work. I pushed him weakly, relieved that he gave me space. I could feel my knees wobble as I slowly sat down on the stairs, holding on the railings.

'Was it your men who barged in my unit?'

He shook my head, watching me as he lean on the wall not even catching his breath after that long run. This man really has a great stamina. I should start going to the gym.

'Then why are your men there?' I frowned at him confused at he is not trying to say anything.

'Look..' he sat beside me.

'Ah..can you move a little further..' I bit my lip embarassed with my request. It's just that..when he's near like this I can't think well.

'Why?' He smirked evilly. 'Scared that -

'Ya!' I'm not scared sitting close to him, the stairs are wide why do we need to sit close to each other?

'Miyanhe, I scared you earlier.' He said softly. "It's just..I was worried about you. Why did you even have to come back here? You're supposed to be in your apartment when the clock hits 5 o'clock.'

Worried about me? I shook my head and laughed bitterly upon being reminded of what he said the other night in the So-Yeon's office event.

'Why are you and your men here?' I finally asked as I remember the countless times I wanted to ask him, hyung, Kwok-Han and Hyun-Ho whom I have seen a lot of times.

HIs jaw clenched and eyes hard as he look away, fixing his eyes on the stairs ahead of us that he'd easily bore deep holes on them. Without thinking I hold on this arm and called him.

'Oppa..'

I saw the quick change of his eyes to a gentle look towards me. I can't stop my heart from pounding when he continued to held me eyes. I want to find an excuse how my hand ended up in his arm which he helds now and he is running his thumb at the back of my palm.

'I'll protect you now Mi-Na. You won't be hurt anymore. Miyanhe you get caught in our war but that don't want happen anymore. I'll protect you with everything I have.'

I remember him saying that before, when he was so pissed with his father who was not able to protect his mother.

I shook my head, not that I don't believe he can do it but because our lives no matter how we protect it is not in our hands. And why would he? We're no longer together. I slowly pulled my hand away from his hold.

'You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself.'

'You know what these people can do!' He clenched his jaw. 'I don't want to make another mistake Mi-Na. Please let me and my men protect you.'

Huh! He's probably into his illegal dealings again. I scowled at him. 'You should have learned your lesson last time Tae-oppa! Stop with your illegal business.'

The sad eyes he gave me hurt me, he was probably hurt that I mentioned it. I guess I don't have any reason to preach him.

'I already got rid of my illegal business Mi-Na. They want to have revenge on me when their case was dismissed. You must have known I spent months in prison for that.'

'So, you're their target, not me.  I can take care of myself. The apartment has security and cctv and so is the hospital. There are cctv everywhere, this is a safe place.'

'What will you do if they act as a patient and cornered  you in your clinic?'

My eyes narrowed. 'Well, then that's it!' That mean's that's my time. No matter how we protect ourselves once it is our time, we can't do anything about it. There's no use fighting fate.

'That's it?' he echoed

I see disappointment in his eyes while I allow myself to watch him. He his lower lip and his eyes searched mine in despiration.

'I only have myself to look after me -

'I'm offering myself Mi-Na, that's what I've been telling you. Me and my men will make sure you, your family and So-Yeon is safe.'

I shook my head. I took the silence as an opportunity to go. I stood up but he grab my arm while he stood up as well making me look up at him. I swallowed and calmed my heart.

'My men will be around you, well actually they've been doing that for awhile already but now we'll do it closely.'

'Ya!' I hit his chest with my free hand. 'Is that why I've been seing Hyun-Ho and your men for the past months? Is that why hyung went home?'

His jaw clenched, tightening his hold on me. 'Mi-Na, you've seen how these people work. We can't protect you if we're in Madrid. Anyway, my original plan was to stay here you know that. I just had to bring Kwok-Han, hyung, Hyun-Ho with me. Let's do this my way Mi-Na.'

'This will not work, if what you said is true. Your men around me makes me more vulnerable.'

He took a sigh. I saw anger and frustration in his eyes.

'This group thar you're fighting with, were they the ones who broke into our apartment?

'Yes.'

He's right, this situation will affect my family and friends. I can take care of myself but not others. 'Why are they even bothering me? It's not as if we're still together.'

I saw him heave a sigh and then tick his tongue. 'I wasn't informed you lost your memory Mi-Na.' he placed his hand at my back and pulled me towards him.

'Ya!' I placed my hands in his chest to push him but he didn't even budge.

'Do you want a reminder? We didn't broke up. I just left you alone for your safety but because you're hard headed you moved out of your parents house and live with your friend. How was hyung supposed to watch you if you moved out?'

'What?' I am totally confused and disoriented with everything he said.

'Which part with what I said you didn't understand? The one that we didn't broke up? I'm happy to remind you if you need a reminder.'

'Yah don't even think about doing that! Moo Tae-Go!' I freak out when he started to bend his head towards me, his eyes looking at my lips.

'Arasso! You won!' I pushed him and turned away before I flung myself to him. I crossed my arms on my chest in defense of another defeat from him. I can't see him but I know he is grinning right now.