Chapter 6

Iron Caste

     At first light Jinki crept out of the carriage, taking pains not to wake Miss Gwiboon at such an early hour.  He checked on the horses, greeting them both with an affectionate pat before turning his attention to the carriage and assessing the damages.  It was as he feared, the beam was splintered and teetering on the edge of snapping in half. The possibility of injuring one of the horses if it were to break was high and an injured horse would mean a spooked horse which would put them all in danger.  Jinki scoured the carriage for any materials that might help him secure the beam long enough to bring them home. When he came up short, he searched the surrounding forest area, finding a sturdy tree branch that was long and straight. He dragged it back to the carriage and pulled out his knife to begin cutting it down to the size he needed.  

     Gwiboon stumbled out of the carriage, her hair falling untamed around her face.

     “Good morning, m’lady,” Jinki greeted.

     “Jinki,” she muttered in a tired response, “How is the carriage?”  Whatever class barrier that existed between them seemed to be held at bay by their current circumstances.  She continued to speak comfortably with him and Jinki didn’t waste any thoughts questioning it.  

     “I think lady luck might be on our side today.  The support beam is splintered but not completely broken.  If I am able to reinforce it with this,” Jinki held up the branch he had been working on, “I think it might just hold out long enough to get us back to the palace.”

     “Okay, so… how do you do that?”

     “Well I must find some way to fasten this to the beam,” Jinki answered, frowning to himself.

     “Like rope?”

     Jinki let out a small laugh, “Yes, like rope.  But we have none.”

     Gwiboon her heel, opening the carriage again and rummaging through her things.  Jinki’s confused eyes followed her movements but his smile spread to an absolute beam when she returned with a few sturdy pieces of twine, “Will this work?”

     “I think it will work just fine, m’lady.  Wherever did you find these?”

     “The page used them to secure my packages,” She responded with a faint smile.  

     With renewed vigor, Jinki set about repairing the carriage, securing the makeshift support as best he could.  He looked on his handy work with a frown; it looked flimsy at best. If anything were to go wrong it was unlikely that the twine would be enough to hold it together, the beam was too heavy.  He pondered for a moment before he was hit with a sudden spark of genius; acting before had thought it through.

     “Jinki what in heaven’s name are you doing?” Gwiboon questioned, her tone more confused than anything as she watched Jinki who was in the process of undoing the buckle of his belt.  

     Jinki flushed a bit, “m’lady, please avert your eyes,” he asked, feeling very uncomfortable to be adjusting his pants in front of a lady.  He hastily removed his belt, using a piece of the twine to keep his pants in place and using his leather belt to hold the beam up instead.  

     “There!” Jinki proclaimed, the carriage finally looking fit to travel.

     “It is fixed?” Gwiboon questioned, looking onto the mess of wood, leather and twine with a raised eyebrow.

     “It should hold out long enough,” Jinki replied, “Are you ready to carry on, m’lady?”  

     “I believe so,” She responded.

     “Well I shall prepare the horses.  I have laid out the rest of the provisions so please eat.  I apologize, I used the last of the water on the horses last night but there is still a flask of ale.”

     “I understand.  Have you eaten?” She asked, picking up the meger remains of their rations and peering inside. 

     “I’m fine, m’lady,” Jinki assured her.

     “So that is a no?” She leveled him with a hard stare.

     “Ay, there is little food left so I left it for m’lady,” Jinki muttered, looking down at his feet and avoiding her glare.  Gwiboon tutted, offering a piece of dried meat to him. Jinki’s eyes widened in shock, while they had seemed to find a common ground between the two of them, that didn’t alleviate the social chains that told Jinki to take care of the noble before himself, especially a woman.  “The trip is short, we will be back at the palace soon enough. Please don’t worry about me, m’lady.”

     She ignored him, taking the package of food and leaving it on the drivers post before shutting herself inside the carriage.  It touched Jinki in a way he wasn’t sure how to deal with that she was so concerned about him.  

     Jinki made quick work of hitching the horses to the carriage, itching to get back on the road.  Joonha was probably very worried that they had not returned yet. Most would assume that Miss Gwiboon had decided to spend the night at the manor, however, Joonha had always had a soft spot for Jinki and treated him more like a son than just another stable hand.

     Jinki climbed up into the seat, making sure to notify Miss Gwiboon first as to not startle her. He was careful to keep the horses at a gentle pace, staying conscious of the state of the carriage.

     “How long should it take to get to the palace?” Miss Gwiboon asked through the open window between them.

     “I hope by noonday.  We must go slow to spare the carriage, however we are past the roughest of the terrain already; from here on the trail is easy and the path well trodden,” he assured her.  With a little luck they would arrive back at the palace without any further issues.

     “That is good.”

     “Yes, please relax, m’lady.  We shall be back at the palace soon enough.”

     “Will you get in trouble for missing another day of work?”

     Jinki chuckled, “That’s nothing for you to worry about, miss.  My priority when I was assigned to be your driver was keeping you safe and that is what I intend to do.”

     “That did not answer my question,” She snapped back but there was little bite to her words.

     Rather than taking offense, Jinki just laughed harder, “Do you always worry so much about your servants?”

     “Do you always talk so plainly to nobles?” She shot back.

     “Never, m’lady.  I’m afraid I feel too comfortable in your presence, forgive me,” Jinki responded but his smile didn’t falter.

     “Do not apologize for such things.  I have few people in my life, even fewer at the palace, with whom I can trust,” she sighed.

     “Well I am honored m’lady thinks so highly of me.”

     “Now enough of the serious talk.  Entertain me,” she demanded but Jinki could hear the smile in her voice. 

     “How shall I entertain you, m’lady?” He asked.

     “A story?” She suggested.

     “Hmm, how about a song?  I’ve never been much of a story teller.”

     “Alright,” she responded, her chin resting on her arm in the small window, waiting for him to continue.  Just like that, they passed the few hours of traveling with comfortable chatter and Jinki’s sweet voice mingling with the birds above.

~~~

     The stables were a flurry of active once they arrived.  Joonha was there to greet them, relief clear on his face, “Jinki!  What is the meaning of this?”

     “I’m sorry to worry you, hyung.  Everything is fine. The carriage broke on the way back,” Jinki explained, pointing out the patched up beam as he spoke, “I wasn’t able to repair it until daybreak so unfortunately Miss Gwiboon had to suffer a night in the forest.”

     “My apologies, m’lady.  I’m deeply sorry this bad luck has befallen upon you,” Joonha told her as he offered a hand to help her down from the carriage.

     “As you should be!” She shot back, venom in her tone.  “What kind of leaky barrel did you send me out in? I could have been attacked by robbers or wolves or any number of unsavory things.  For shame! I shall talk to the foreman about this, I shall.”

     Joonha bowed low in response.  Before he could begin to apologize again, the stable door open, revealing a tall, thin man atop an impressive white stallion.  The three turned to take in the sight before them before Jinki jumped to attention, “Sir Minho!”

     “Ahhh Jinki, good to see you!” he greeted, a warm smile on his lips.

“Likewise!  I had no idea you would be back at the palace before spring!” Jinki said, taking hold of the stallion’s bridle and giving the horse a good scratch behind the ears.

     “Only briefly I’m afraid, lots to be done now with the eastern border and all,” Sir Minho explained.  “I have some business to attend to and if my mother has any say in the matter, I’ll stay at the palace until after the harvest festival.”

     Jinki nodded, his skin prickling in discomfort at the mere mention of the tension in the east.  No one wanted a war after all. 

     Minho slid down from the tall horse with ease.  “May I attend to Goin for you?” Jinki asked, gesturing to the stallion. 

     “You seem busy,” Minho said, nodding towards Miss Gwiboon and Joonha, “I can get someone else to—”

     “Gods above!  What happened to you, my dear?” The sudden voice of Lord Jonghyun cut through their conversation as the short man strolled in, addressing Miss Gwiboon without much thought or attention to the company surrounding her.  However, once he looked up, it was as if the air froze around them. Surprise seeped into anger within the Lord’s eyes. “Oh, hello. Sorry to interrupt,” Lord Jonghyun said, his tone sugary and burning with fakeness even to Jinki’s untrained ears.  “Gwiboon, my sweet. Whatever happened? I was worried sick when you didn’t return yesterday. I trust your travels were safe?”

     “Oh Jonghyun, it was just awful!  The carriage broke and I had to sleep in the forest and it was so cold!” Gwiboon whined, her face formed into a perfect pout.

     “Gods, that is just awful.  Next time, I shall take you myself in my personal carriage.  I can’t bear the thought of you suffering so,” Jonghyun cooed.  With a smug, pointed glare towards Sir Minho, Jonghyun wrapped an arm around Gwiboon and guided her out of the stables as he murmured words of understanding and comfort in her ear.  

     Jinki turned back to Sir Minho, opening his mouth to offer once again to deal with his mount only to have the reins into his hands.  Minho’s face was a hard, emotionless mask when just minutes prior his smile was filled with warmth. The tall man his heel, leaving without another word.  Jinki and Joonha exchanged puzzled glances, neither seemed sure what unspoken interactions had just occurred around them. Jinki knew if he wanted answers, there was only one person to ask.

~~~

     “Jinki!  Oh bless my soul!  I was so worried about you!  When that little sprite of a boy came by and said you hadn’t returned I nearly made myself sick with worry!  Whatever happened? Sit, sit! I’ll have one of the girls bring you some warm tea and a nice hot meal. You must be starved!  I knew I should have packed you more food!  Sit!” She fussed and prattled on as she directed the kitchen servants with nothing more than a snap of her fingers.  Jinki couldn’t help but chuckle. Madame Kim was known for her fiery tongue but she was such a gentle soul beneath it all.  Mothering, towards Jinki in particular, but she loved to take care of others. Jinki almost felt guilty for making her stress so, even if the event was out of his control.    

     "I’m fine!” He insisted.

     “You sit down when I tell you to sit down, boy,” She responded, ignoring his words entirely.  Jinki complied, taking a seat at the empty table and letting her dote on him as much as she needed to feel settled down.  Once she had stopped fussing over him and he had a full meal inside his belly they were able to talk unhindered.  

     “So… something odd happened in the stables today,” Jinki began.

     “Oh really?  Pray tell,” Madame Kim perked up at the prospect of a nice piece of gossip.

     “Sir Minho came back unexpectedly today.”

     “And?”

     “And when we were in the barns, Lord Jonghyun came in…” Jinki trailed off as Madame Kim’s eyes lit up.  “You know something,” he accused.

     She laughed in response.  “From what I understand, Sir Minho and Lord Jonghyun used to be quite close.  They were good friends when they were younger and uninhibited by status and obligation. They often went hunting together and always had a smile for the other.  They were a bit of pranksters when they were boys, never anything serious but made more than a few maids shed tears of aggravation. They were good boys though.  Sir Minho always keeping the younger Lord in check. However, people grow up and change. Sir Minho became a squire, his eyes set on knighthood and he no longer had time for such childish games. As for Lord Jonghyun, he started showing a liking for sins of the flesh.  You know his reputation, I’m sure. They started to drift apart. There is rumor that they both fell in love with the same woman, Lord knows both those boys walked around with stars in their eyes for someone, but I cannot say for who. And if I don’t know then it probably isn’t true. Regardless of the reason, they had a falling out of some sort and they haven’t been seen in each other’s company since.”

     “I see,” Jinki said.  

     “I’d love to know the reason.  Maybe it really was some tart that toyed with them both,” Madame Kim mused.

     Jinki laughed, “Always the gossip.”

     “You mind your tongue boy, who do you come to when you want answers?”

     “Ay, I meant no harm.”

     “So, besides the carriage breaking, how was your trip with the she devil?” She pressed.

     “It was wonderful!  Miss Gwiboon is actually quite pleasant and I was allowed the whole day to myself to explore the northern city.  It was nice, different, to see a whole new city. I was also able to get presents for my family. Please, let Joon know I am waiting for him the next time he is at the palace,” Jinki told her.  

     “Ay.  You’re mother must be proud; she raised a fine son.  Now, tell me more about this Miss Gwiboon! You are the first to describe her as anything less than a screeching harpy, I am curious,” Madame Kim pressed.

     Jinki laughed at her description.  “She is a proud woman but she is fair and pleasant when she is far from the judging eyes of other nobles.  She has been kind to me, and forgiving when other nobles would not have been,” Jinki’s honest words were cryptic, which made Madame Kim study him closer.

     “You will tell me no more?”

     “You gossip too much,” Jinki smiled.

     “And you, young man, are too good.  I cared for you like a lost lamb and this is how I am treated?” She whined at him.

     “You think to guilt my conscience into divulging my secrets?  Have you no shame?” Jinki laughed, far too used to her antics to allow them to get under his skin.

     “Not a ,” She smirked.  However, she seemed to accept that Jinki would speak no further on the subject so she allowed topic to fall flat with nothing more than playful teasing.