Chapter 12

Iron Caste

     True to his word, Taemin made sure to get him home safe.  It was a bit awkward riding double, but the boy was so small Jinki doubted Sangchu even noticed.  The only added weight came from the massive amount of food Madam Kim had prepared for him. That woman didn’t trust him with anything.  Three days. He was told to rest for three days. And she had sent enough food for an army to eat like kings for a week. He would about it later but for now, he was grateful for her care and kindness.    

     “Thank you, Taemin,” Jinki said once they had arrived at his cottage.  The younger had gone above and beyond to help him and Jinki really did appreciate it.  Taemin slid down from the horse and helped ease Jinki off Sangchu’s back and unto his rather unstable legs.  “And thank Madame Kim for me.”

     Taemin nodded in acknowledgement, “Hyung you get inside, I’ll take care of Sangchu.”

     “It’s already well past dark.  I don’t want you walking home so late.  Why don’t you take him?” Jinki suggested instead. 

     “Oh hyung, I couldn’t,” Taemin protested. 

     “And why not?  He will only get bored and fat sitting at home.  You take him for a few days, alright?” Jinki countered.  He was going to have a hard enough time taking care of himself for the next few days, it was only going to add to the difficulty if he had to drag himself out to his makeshift stable to care for Sangchu too.  It wasn’t like Jinki had anywhere to go for the next few days anyway.  

     “I guess that makes sense… but I will stop by after work to check on you, okay?” Taemin relented. 

     “That’s not necessary,” Jinki assured him.  

     “Yes it is.  Madame Kim will slay me if I don’t keep her informed on your condition.  Besides, how will I know when you need Sangchu back if I don’t come and check on you?  I’ll see you tomorrow, hyung,” There was a finality to his tone that made even Jinki reluctant to argue. 

     “Fine, you brat.  Goodnight,” Jinki conceded, ruffling the young boys hair out of affection.  Taemin swung his leg over the horses back once again, giving Jinki a wave before trotting back up the road.  Jinki sighed to himself, hobbling over the threshold of his dark and empty house. He tried to keep the physicians words in his mind, keeping his weight off his injured foot as much as possible.  He did the bare minimum of work, lighting a modest fire in the hearth and digging through the sack of food from Madame Kim to fix himself a quick meal. He prepared the herbal tea just like the doctor had instructed and placed the used dregs in a bowl beside his bed with fresh water.  The aroma was pleasant and soothing, a combination of gentle lavender and chamomile mixed with a few other flavors and herbs he couldn’t quite identify. The calming scent combined with the immediate effects of the tea made him feel drowsy despite the early hour. He went to wash up and let himself fall into bed, bone tired from the events of his day.  He propped his leg up as best he could and slipped away into a dreamless sleep. 

~~~

     He woke early.  The sky still dark and the sun not quite ready to make a hint that it was planning to rise yet.  His ankle was throbbing in discomfort and the mound of blankets he had used to elevate his leg were all lying in a heap on the floor now.  He pulled himself from his bed, stoking the still-glowing embers in the hearth and adding some fresh wood before putting a pot of water on.  It was weird, being awake and not thinking about readying himself for work. What was he to do with his day? How did one occupy himself without work?  As he waited for the water to boil he found his mind slipping off towards the stables. How was Taemin doing without him there? Was Joonha stressed for lack of help?  Who would care for the wild one while he was away? Would Miss Gwiboon come by the stables to check on his condition? Would he get to say goodbye to Sir Minho before he left to deal with the border disputes again?  Would Joon return with word of his family soon? And what of his family? Of his brother?  

     Jinki was pulled out of his thoughts by the sputtering pot of water before him.  He grabbed a towel to remove it from the heat, letting it cool off as he prepared another cup of herbal tea to soothe his aching body.  He took the steaming mug and crawled back into his bed, adjusting the blankets to elevate his foot once again. He tried to relax, an odd concept to him if he were honest.  There was so much work to be done, how did one find time to just… sit? He was about to find out, trying to slow his mind and focus only on the warm tea and the comfort of his bed.  He sank deeper into the covers, nestling down and letting his eyes slip closed as the tea took effect, helping the pain subside and his mind fall blank.

 ~~~

     Jinki’s eyes fluttered as sleep slipped away, a persistent knocking getting louder and louder the more awake he became.  He jumped out of bed, regretting the action immediately but ignored the pain in favor of rushing to his front door, pulling it open as he spoke, “Taemin is that y—” His words getting clogged in his throat as he met the callers’ eyes.  “M’lady, I— how—”

     “Are you just going to gape at me like a fish or are you going to allow me to enter?” Gwiboon snapped.  Miss Gwiboon was bundled up against the cold with a package under her arm, Cheonsa was tied to the hitching post behind her.

     “M’lady, whatever are you doing here?  Enter? A man’s house alone? And a commoner no less?  Have you lost yourself, m’lady?” Jinki sputtered, balking at the very thought.  What on earth was this woman thinking? She must be touched in the head. No sane person would dare suggest such a thing. 

     “Is that a no?” She asked, her eyebrow raised in a silent challenge.

     “Miss—”

     “It would draw far more attention if one were to see me as I continue to stand here,” She pointed out, daring him to argue.

     Jinki sighed, stepping over to allow her to enter.  An immediate wave of self-consciousness washed over him.  He hadn’t the time to wash his face or tame his hair. His clothes were wrinkled from sleep and… gods above, he was wearing only an undershirt!  His arms were bare and his sad excuse for a shirt was tattered and stained and most inappropriate of all, clung like a second skin. His attire was bad enough but add in the state of his house – soot from the open fire and dirt all over the floor and the overall state of mess – clothes strewn here and there… it wasn’t even fit to accept the company of someone from his own social class, let alone a noble.  He felt like he would suffocate from embarrassment to think of how lowly he must look before her now. 

     “M’lady, why are you here?”  Jinki asked, running his fingers through his hair in a desperate and vain effort to make himself presentable before crossing his arms across his chest in a pitiful attempt to cover his bare body.  He felt so… exposed, physically and emotionally. He was a mere servant at the palace and a simple man. His home small and his clothes were old and worn. He could afford better but he opted to do without in favor of sending any extra coins home to his family.  His home, his life was modest and he shuddered to think how pitiful it must look to Miss Gwiboon’s eyes.

     “I felt obligated to check on you.  It tis my fault you are injured and I feel responsible,” she said with a gentleness that didn’t match the sharp attitude she displayed only moments before.  She made no comment about the state of his home or him, her eyes soft and caring and focused on him.

     “That is not necessary, m’lady.  You risk far too much by coming here.  What if someone were to see you? Entering a man’s home?  M’lady, think of your reputation!” Jinki couldn’t understand this woman at all.  It was one thing for them to speak at the stables, to maintain friendliness towards each other despite their respective stations far from the palace walls, but her being here, in his house… it was something entirely different.  

     “Oh be calm.  No one saw me and I shalln’t stay but a minute,” she waved off his concern.

      “How did you even know where I live, m’lady?”  Jinki asked, sighing in relief as he found his work shirt, dirty and sweat stained but anything was better than how he was presenting himself currently.  He grabbed the shirt and slid it across his broad shoulders. He felt a bit more comfortable, a bit more in control now that he could focus beyond his impropriety. 

      “Oh.  I overheard that little one, Taemin I think you called him, telling the elder gentleman at the stables how to get here.  So I just…” she trailed off, looking a bit sheepish this time.

      “M’lady, I am touched by your concern but you mustn’t be here.  It is dangerous and unwise,” he sighed, knowing his words were falling on deaf ears. 

      Gwiboon rolled her eyes, “Are you going to harm me?”

      Jinki sputtered at her question, “Of course not!”

      “Then there is no danger.  Are you going to tell anyone of my visit?” She pressed. 

      “No, m’lady,” He mumbled, knowing he’d lost since lost the argument with her.

      “Then it is not unwise,” she said with finality. 

      “But—” Jinki tried one last time.

      “I just,” she cut him off before he could protest any further, “wanted to bring you this,” she held up a small bundled parcel for him to see.  “It should help with the pain and swelling.”

      “Thank you, m’lady.  That is very kind of you.” Jinki said.

      “Are you feeling better now?”

     “A bit.”

     “And the swelling is down?”

     “I— I don’t know actually.  I’m afraid m’lady awoke me so I haven’t a chance to check,” he answered, smiling.

     Gwiboon rolled her eyes at him, “Sit.”

     “Ay?”

     “Did the fall affect your hearing?  Sit,” she commanded.

     Baffled, Jinki lowered himself into his rickety chair in front of the kitchen table.  Miss Gwiboon sat in the matching seat next to him, “give me your foot,” she demanded.

     “I—”

     “Really?  Are you going to argue against every word that leaves my lips?  Must we continue to squabble? Let me see so I can be on my way,” she said, exasperated. 

     Jinki looked down sheepishly, nodding as he lifted his foot.  With surprising gentleness she laid his leg across her lap, sliding his pants up to reveal his ankle.  He suppressed a shiver that was creeping up his spine as her soft fingers slid across his skin. His stomach tingled in the most pleasant way.  He didn’t really know what the cause was. Was it nerves or simply the newness of it all? He rarely had guests in his home, never a noble; never a woman.  Or was it because it was Miss Gwiboon, someone he’s somehow grown close to over the past few months?  

     “It looks okay.  A bit swollen but that is to be expected,” she said, her focus unwavering.

     “How does a fine lady like yourself know such things?” Jinki asked.

     She smiled, “I told you before; I was a child who enjoyed the company of trees and horses more than embroidery or book lessons.  I spent much time outside and consequently had my share of injuries.”

     Jinki laughed, “I had my share of injuries as well but only because I was as clumsy of a child as I am now.”

     “You?  Clumsy?”

     “M’lady, I fell out of a tree,” He reminded her. 

     “Well aside from the tree incident, you always appear to be very poised,” she assured him.

     “I fear m’lady is blind,” Jinki shook his head.

     “Poised but not polite I see,” She quipped.

     Jinki laughed, “M’lady thinks me impolite?”

     “Of course not.  You really must learn to understand jesting.  You are a better man than many I have met within the court,” she said, averting her eyes as a tinge of pink brushed across her cheeks.  

     Her words were so said so honest that Jinki was caught off guard.  “Thank you, m’lady,” He whispered. The silence that fell over them was tinged with a tangible awkwardness; word that itched to be spoken seemed stuck behind teeth.  Instead, the two of them sat in silence in Jinki’s shabby kitchen, his leg still resting on her lap, her delicate arms cradling his foot with a gentle touch. It was comfortable and that thought alone made it so uncomfortable.  It scared Jinki that he felt so at ease with a noble woman. It wasn’t normal but he didn’t know how to make it stop. 

     “Well I am glad you are not severely injured.  I was quite worried,” she said, her words cutting the tension.

     “You needn’t worry about me, miss.”

     “I shall do as I please,” she replied, a playful twinkle in her eye as she said it. 

     “All right, m’lady,” his lips quirked into a smile.

     “When can you return to work?”

     “The physician said I must rest for at least three days.  If I am better by then I shall return,” Jinki told her.  

     “That is good to hear.  Rest well. I fear I must be getting back to the palace.  I have been away too long as it is,” she signed with resignation.  

     “Ay m’lady.  Please get back safe.  And m’lady, I do appreciate your concern but please don’t risk yourself for the likes of me.  If you have concerns about me again feel free to ask Joonha. He is an honest and quiet man who will not ask questions nor tell of your inquiry,” Jinki advised.  He didn’t want her coming to visit him like this again. It wasn’t proper and he feared she really didn’t understand the risks she was taking.

     “Well simply do not injury yourself again and I will have no reason to do anything of the sort,” she retorted.

     “I shall try,” Jinki said with a smile, placed his injured foot back onto the ground with care and lifted himself back onto his feet.  Miss Gwiboon stood as well, brushing off her dress. Jinki guided her to the door, peeking outside first to be sure there was no one to see them.  Gwiboon rolled her eyes at his caution but said nothing. When Jinki had deemed it safe, he opened the door for her, “M’lady, do you need me to ready Cheonsa for you?”

     “No, Jinki.  Rest.  I shall see you in the stables soon.”

     “Ay, good day, m’lady.”

     She nodded, and made her way to her waiting horse.  Jinki stayed in the doorway, watching her until she was too far away to be seen before closing the door.  He couldn’t help but feel… light. His ankle still hurt and he still felt stressed at his lack of work but her visit made him feel strangely happy.  What a dangerous thing… finding something akin to friendship with a noble woman. What on earth had he gotten himself into?