Chapter 14

Iron Caste

     The next morning Jinki woke exhausted.  He had done nothing but sleep since his injury however, he felt more tired now than he had in all his years of work.  His mind just couldn’t seem to stop. The painted— now hidden behind his dresser for lack of better means of keeping it away from his own eyes— had opened up pandora’s box within himself.  All it took was admitting how much he wanted her despite knowing he couldn’t and he was crushed. All he could think about was her dark curls and how his fingers itched with desire to card through them.  His thoughts got lost in the depth of her eyes or the beautiful pink hue of her lips. He wanted to feel her small, dainty hands interlocked with his calloused ones. He longed to study the lines of her palm and see if they matched his own.  To hold her close and more than anything he wanted to be the one to make her smile; make her laugh. The thoughts had plagued his mind all night, fighting away sleep in favor of tracing the lines of her face within his mind. It was a dangerous thing letting his emotions run rampant.  

     Jinki had always imagined that the act of falling in love was a pleasant one.  That having your mind occupied by one person was a good thing, a desirable thing.  He was just now realizing how wrong he was. It was torture in its most base form. His mind was a confused mess, the endless thoughts of Gwiboon, Gwiboon, Gwiboon left his frustrated rather than happy.  It only added to his frustration that his newfound thoughts were more pressing than anything else.  It was his first day back to work and he found himself being clumsy and making simple mistakes all day long.  It was infuriating. Everyone blamed it on his ankle, giving him an encouraging smile and a helping hand, but he knew the truth.  It wasn’t his ankle that was clumsy, it was his heart. How could one woman mess up his life so thoroughly and not even know it herself?  

     Things only got worse since Miss Gwiboon picked that day of all days to visit the stables.  She had no qualms about visiting his home to check on his condition, it was to be expected that she would stop by the stables for the same reason.

     “Jinki!” She called, her voice resounding through the barn.  It made Jinki groan because his heart leapt in his chest. Denial had been easier to manage.   

     He took a deep breath as he stepped out of the stall he was working in, “M’lady,” he greeted, his voice filled with happiness despite his resolve to distance himself from the noble.  His whole body betraying him once in her presence again. She looked breathtaking, more so now that his heart was free to feel. Her eyes were warm and her smile so soft and inviting.  It was no wonder he was so weak against her charms.    

     “How are you feeling?”  She asked.

     “I am much better, m’lady.  Thank you.”

     “Good; good.  And what are you up to this fine day?” She asked, a playful tilt to her voice.  By the looks of it, they were alone in the barn and she felt comfortable letting her walls down a bit.  

     “I was about to take the wild one here,” Jinki pointed to the horse behind him, “Out for her lessons.”

     “Oh, I thought you said you did not train?”

     “Usually not,” Jinki replied, keeping things short and to the point.  

     “Whatever does that mean?” Miss Gwiboon questioned, her eyebrows shooting up in confusion.  Her willingness to interact was killing any and all resolve Jinki had to cut their conversation short.  

     “She was giving the trainers a spot of difficulty, quite the troublemaker this one, so Joonha suggested my name.  They agreed so now she’s my responsibility,” Jinki said, his head bowing a bit in modesty. He had never been good about talking himself up.  

     “May I watch?” she requested.  

     Jinki gnawed his lip in thought, he knew he shouldn’t, more for his own sake then the horses but he felt himself nod before he could talk himself out of it, “But first, we have to get her used to you.  She’s a bit skittish around others still.”

     “You just tell me what to do,” she replied.

     Jinki led her over to the stall, the two of them standing at the door, waiting for the yearling to approach them.  The horse eyed Gwiboon warily but it didn’t take long for her curiosity to overcome her fear as she crept forward, greeting Jinki by nosing at his shirt.  

     “She seems to really like you,” Gwiboon commented.

     “She does.  It took a long time to build up her trust though.  She’s been in my care since the early spring but we only started her real training this summer.  It took that long just to get her to tolerate my presence,” Jinki said, patting the horse affectionately.  Jinki reached into his pocket, pulling out a carrot he had swiped from the kitchens and broke it into pieces before handing them to Gwiboon to offer the horse.

     “That must have taken a lot of patience,” she remarked, placing the treat on her flattened palm and offering it to the horse.  The horse continued to eye her cautiously but her neck was stretched out, inching closer and closer to Gwiboon and the piece of carrot.  

     “Yes, but that is part of dealing with horses,” Jinki replied.  

     “Still, it just shows how good you are with the animals,” She said.  The horse continued to sniff at her hand before deciding that Gwiboon was worth the risk and took the small step forward necessary to snatched to carrot piece from her.  After the carrot was gone, the yearling allowed Gwiboon to rub her nose before she edged away again, back towards the other side of the stall door where Jinki was.  

     “Are you sure you want to come out, m’lady?  It might be a bit dull to watch. I can saddle your horse for you if you’d rather?” Jinki offered, a little bit hopeful she’d say yes and spare him and also a little bit hopeful she’d say no so that their time together would last just a bit longer.

     “That’s alright.  I can ride later,” she responded, stepping back to give Jinki and the horse lots of room to move around without her presence being a disruption.

     Jinki sighed to himself, going about saddling the beast and getting her ready for their training session.  The yearling stood still, having started to accept the saddle being placed on her back. Jinki was quite proud of the improvements the horse had made in the past few months.  It had been difficult and frustrating but in the end Jinki would proud, proud of the animal and proud of himself.  

     “Ready?” He asked, leading the horse out of the stall.

     Miss Gwiboon nodded in affirmation.

     “She isn’t accustomed to anyone but myself so she might be a bit skittish at first,” Jinki informed her.  

     “I understand.  I’ll do whatever you tell me to do,” She said, trying to be accommodating to the horse and her special needs.  

     “Thank you.  She seems to be calmer with you than many others.  Maybe because you are a woman? Most of her interactions have been with men.”

     “It was probably just because of the carrots,” she joked in response.  Jinki couldn’t help but smile in return. Gwiboon made it easy to be with her, to talk and joke.  No wonder Jinki had fallen down such a slippery slope. 

     He led them out to the circular exercise pen, having Miss Gwiboon stay outside by the gate while he and the yearling entered.  Jinki stopped in the middle, starting the horse running in a tight circle, slowly letting out the lead until she was making a wide circle along the gate.  The horse didn’t seem bothered by Miss Gwiboon’s presence so Jinki didn’t pay it much mind, focusing on their exercises, calling out different commands to her and smiling in satisfaction when she responded with smooth, easy movements void of even a hint of hesitation.  Jinki tried to ignore Miss Gwiboon’s presence as much as possible, focusing on the horse and only the horse the whole time. It was an impossible task but he did try. He was quite proud of the mare today though. He was glad he could show such a fine creature that had been molded by his own hands to Miss Gwiboon.  He knew it was stupid considering the woman watched him fall from a tree only a week prior, but Jinki only wanted to show her his best qualities. He wanted her to see him as a man, not some silly stable boy. Once again, he was playing with fire. Right now he could take comfort in knowing that his feelings were one-sided.  He may like her more than he should, but she didn’t return those feelings so there was no danger in hidden affections. Well… no damage outside of his own heart. As much has his heart might wish she returned his affections, it was best that things stay the way they were.  

     It seemed like only minutes had passed before he was signaling the horse to halt, the exercise for the day complete but his mind still full of cobwebs.  

     “You really are wonderful with her,” Miss Gwiboon commented once Jinki and the yearling had exited the pen.

     Jinki felt his cheeks reddening at her words.  “It’s nothing, m’lady.”

     “Oh poppycock.  That horse already looks fit for a rider and only months ago she was bucking at every little sound?  Even with how skittish she is, not once did she shy away from the fence where I was standing. Even now, she is allowing me to walk alongside her.  She trusts you. She trusts you more than she is scared of me, a stranger. That isn’t something to be taken so lightly,” she told him. 

     Jinki felt humbled by her words.  Did she truly think so high of him?  He was merely doing his job as the horse’s trainer.  It wasn’t as special or glamorous as she was making it seem.

     “Are you ready for that ride, m’lady?” Jinki asked, sparing himself from having to respond by changing the subject.

     “Later.  May I help brush her?”

     “M’lady?  There is no need for you to do such a menial task.  I should be in much trouble if anyone were to see you,” Jinki responded, shocked that she would even offer.  

     “There is no one around and I am enjoying your company,” She replied ignoring his protest and picking up the metal comb, approaching the animal.  

     Jinki tied the mare to the ring alongside the stall, quickly removing the saddle and nodding to Miss Gwiboon, allowing her to step closer and being rubbing the brush in small circles along the horse’s neck.  Jinki didn’t know what it was about Miss Gwiboon but even the horse seemed relaxed in her presence. Her hands were gentle and her touch, light. Jinki pick up the extra brush, beginning to work the horse on the other side.  

     “Do you enjoy your job, Jinki?”

     “Yes, m’lady.”

     “Isn’t it tiring though?”

     “Yes, m’lady.  But… it’s honest work.  I am lucky, the work is far less dangerous than working the fields or fighting in the army.  I get to do something I enjoy and I can take pride in what I do. I am able to provide for my family and live a comfortable life.  I couldn’t ask for much more,” Jinki answered. It was easier to speak freely with the mare between them, blocking her from his sight. 

     “But… isn’t it lonesome?”

     Jinki swallowed, pushing away those betraying thoughts that reminded him how easy she seemed to chase away the loneliness in his heart.  “At times. It is hard living so far away from home. You know this as well as I.”

     “Ay, but I still live with family,” She responded, not satisfied with his response.

     “I have many friends whom treat me like family.  Madame Kim took me in when I was just a boy and to this day acts on behalf of my own mother.  Likewise, Joonha hyung has cared for me and protected me much like my late father did. I have many friends with whom I trust and care for as well.  I am not unhappy living at the palace. It is lonesome at times, but it is my home now.”

     “Will you ever go back to visit?”

     “I would love to.  I miss my mother terribly and my siblings have probably all forgotten my face by now.  However, it is a long journey and I am only paid when I work. I and my family would have to suffer in order for me to take the time and shillings required for even a short visit.”

     “You must think me so weak in comparison,” Gwiboon murmured.  

     “M’lady?” His eyebrows shot up in confusion.  Miss Gwiboon was a lot of things, but weak was never a word that had ever entered his mind in relation to her.  

     “I have only been at the palace but a few short months and I have already forced you to accompany me home to visit my family,” She said, filling him in on her rather ridiculous thought process.

     Jinki smiled, “I do not think ill of m’lady for such things.  Missing those you care for is not a weakness. Honestly, I envy you.  To live so close that you can visit? If I were able, I would be home every night with the ones I love,” Jinki replied.  He meant it too. Having a close knit family was a gift that not everyone was blessed with. It was important to cherish those special people and it was only natural to want to keep them close by.  

     “You are a good man, Jinki,” Miss Gwiboon murmured.  

     “I am like everyone else, m’lady,” Jinki said with a humble smile.  He didn’t see how he was any different from the rest of the world. At least, not in positive ways.  

     “You are not.  You are good; trustworthy,” She responded, sincerity in her tone.

     “I’m honored m’lady thinks so highly of me,” Jinki whispered, his cheeks flushing at her words.  Her kindness and genuine words were doing nothing to squash Jinki’s infatuation with her. In fact, it was doing quite the opposite.  He felt his mouth opening, words slipping past before he could think them through and ultimately pull them back into the depths of his mind, “M’lady, if I may be so bold?”

     “Yes, Jinki?” Miss Gwiboon responded, her lips quirked in interest.

     “I-- ummm…” Jinki trailed off, cheeks painted a soft pink as he balked at what he was about to do.

     “Whatever is it?  I’ve never seen you stutter so,” Miss Gwiboon said, amusement and confusion evident.  

     “It’s just that… I ummm… well I… paint?” Jinki forced the words past his lips, but it ended up closer to a question than a statement.  God he was making himself a fool. He wanted to shrivel up and crumble inside his boots right now. Anything to make her stop looking at him.

     “Oh?”

     “Umm.. yes.  I paint. Well… I wanted to give you one.  One of my paintings I mean,” Jinki uttered, his words trailed off into an embarrassing squeak.  

     She smiled, soft and genuine.  It was clear she was bemused by Jinki’s odd behavior but mercifully made no comment about it.

     “Alright,” She replied.

     “It’s umm… just stay here,” He said, scurrying off to the tack room where he kept Sangchu’s saddle during the day.  He grabbed the rolled up parchment from his saddle back, taking a moment to glance at it one last time, hoping that dallying a few moments would make his cheeks return to a more natural color before running back to where she was waiting just like he requested.  “It is nothing much and my skills are low but it… it made me think of m’lady,” Jinki explained, embarrassment still evident in his tone as he rushed through his speech.  

     She nodded in understanding, reaching out to take the painting from Jinki’s slightly trembling hands.  She unrolled it slowly, her eyes widening in surprise at the scenic portrait before her. “Oh Jinki…” She breathed, eyes never leaving the canvas in her hands.

     “As I said, it’s nothing much,” Jinki muttered, rubbing the back of his neck in a show of embarrassment and nerves.

     “It’s truly beautiful.  It’s the meadow? Where we raced our horses?”

     “Yes, m’lady.”

     “It is a lovely painting and a lovely memory.  I shall cherish it,” She said, her emotions showing pure on her face.

     “Thank you, m’lady.”  

     “Well!  I think I’m ready for that ride now,” She said, “and I wouldn’t mind having another go at that race.  I want it to be no mistake that I won fair and square,” Her eyebrow quirking in playful suggestion. 

     “Oh...” Jinki tried to sort his thoughts out to come up with some excuse why they couldn’t spend the afternoon together, because, despite just how much he wanted to, he knew it was a bad idea.  However, before he could say anything at all, she was already turning on her heel, heading off towards Cheonsa’s stall.  

“Come saddle my horse, Jinki.  I shall go first. Meet me in the meadow,” Her tone left no room for arguments and despite the rationality of his brain, Jinki couldn’t find it in himself to say no.