Chapter 10

Iron Caste

     The week of the festival arrived and Jinki was at his wits end.  He arrived each morning at dawn and got as much work in as he could before daylight took hold.  In addition to his usual workload, the stable hands were making accommodations for the flood of nobles and their carriages that made their way to the palace grounds. Everyone from dukes and lords to barons and knights were making the trek to the city.  It was the event of the year and anyone who was anyone would be there. It was a week of madness and mayhem as they cleaned and prepared every single stall they had while Joonha struggled to keep some semblance of order in the stables. It wouldn't do to forget which horse belonged to which lord after all.  Already Jinki felt like he hadn't slept in days, the workload never ceasing. He was finding less and less time to check on the new foal; not that the pair needed much attention now as both were healthy and happy. Likewise, his sessions with the wild one had halted until after the festival and he hadn't even been on a ride all week.  He opted instead to simply put the horses out to pasture for a few hours. There wasn't much he could do about it though, there was simply too much work and not enough workers.

     Despite the tiring workload, the harvest festival was a joyous time for everyone.  The city came together to celebrate the year, to feast on the fruits of their labor and drink themselves silly before the winter set in.  Most nobles arrived early and stayed for the duration so they could attend the royal ball on the last night of the festival. For Jinki and the other stable hands, this meant a slight reprieve for the stables once the festival was underway. Most all of them took advantage of this by sneaking off to partake in the festivities.  

     The first day of the festival was much like the week leading up to it, a never ceasing line of carriages awaited them.  It was tiring work and all the stable hands were on their best behavior around the unfamiliar nobles. Jinki barely had a moment to think all day and it was late in the evening before the influx of carriages slowed to a crawl.  The younger stable hands set out to enjoy the night but Jinki knew better. He remembered his first harvest festival, and more so, the morning after as he heaved his guts out behind the barns. He was much too old for that now, opting instead to tuck in early and enjoy the festival in the daylight the following day.

~~~

     The following morning the stable hands all rushed through their chores, feeding and cleaning as quickly as possible so they could go out and attend the festival for a few hours.  They all took turns manning the stables while the others went off to play. Jinki always helped out where he could. Since he didn’t have family or a sweetheart in the city, he always felt a bit selfish taking time during the festival.  The other workers needed that time more than he. However this year, Jinki had promised to accompany Taemin to the jousting competition. It was a highlight of the festival, the congregating nobles competing against each other for nothing more than prestige and bragging rights.  Normally Jinki helped in preparing the horses for the competition but this year he would be in the stands, cheering along with the crowd.

     “Hyung, let’s go!” Taemin whined.  “We’re going to miss it!”

     “We do have to finish our work first,” he reminded the younger.  There were twice as many horses under their care than normal and it took more time than usual to tend to them all but Taemin wasn’t thinking of such things, the boy was just eager to attend the festival.

     “I finished, I swear!” 

     “Well then help me,” Jinki suggested, handing the younger boy an armful of hay.  “I still need to finish off this row,” He pointed to the last few stalls of horses that needed attending to.  Taemin shot off like an arrow, dumping armfuls of hay into the managers of each stall. Jinki considered chastising him for his sloppy work, the hay falling all over the aisles but he just shook his instead.  The boy was excited and Jinki couldn’t fault him too much for that.  

     The morning chores were done in record time, even with the addition of more horses in their stables.  All the servants were excited to get to the festival as well, most of the stable hands had come in early and everyone was working with renewed vigor, the promise of an afternoon of fun pushing them on.

     “All done!” Taemin shouted from the other end of the stables, dusting hay off of his shirt.  Jinki couldn’t help but smile, it was nice to see Taemin so excited. Jinki remembered his younger years when the festival was new and exciting.  It was fun to watch Taemin experience it for the first time.

     “Alright,” Jinki said.  “Let’s go get washed up.”  Taemin scurried ahead to the water bucket and nearly spilled half of it in his haste.  Jinki chortled. “If you don’t slow down, I’ll make you go fetch more water from the river.” He warned. 

     Taemin pouted in response but slowed down enough to clean his hands and face without spilling anymore water. He waited none-too patiently for Jinki to get washed up as well before he was dragged Jinki out to the jousting arena that had been erected for the festival. 

     “Isn’t this so excited, hyung?”  Taemin was practically vibrating with pent up energy.  

     “It’s very excited,” Jinki agreed.  It had been years since he’d attended the competition rather than assisting in it.  “Why don’t you go find us some seats?” He suggested, letting Taemin go ahead as he stopped at a stand selling roasted nuts.  He found Taemin seated at the top row of benches, the competition well underway as the riders took their positions at opposite ends of the row.

     The two of them munched on their snack while watching the competition.  At each lance that was smashed and rider that was knocked from their mount, Taemin jumped up to cheer with the crowd.  It was great fun to watch and he was enjoying Taemin’s company however, Jinki was more distracted by Miss Gwiboon seated on the other side of the arena.  While it wasn’t a surprise to see her out and enjoying the festival, it was odd for Jinki to see her outside of the stables. He’d grown accustomed to her presence at the stables and it was jarring to see her outside of that setting.  She was dressed to impress and seated beside Lord Jonghyun, the two of them giggling together as they watched the competition. Something about the sight of them together was so right and so wrong and it made something in Jinki twist in a painful way.  Jinki tried to focus on the jousting but his eyes kept drifting back to her and for some reason, the sight of them together soured Jinki’s mood for the rest of the day.

~~~

     The next evening, the ball at the palace was in full swing, which meant a few hours of peace before the mass exodus of drunken nobles tried to make their way home. He’d spent all day at the stables, keeping things running while Joonha stole a few hours to take his children to see the acrobats and performance tropes in the town square.  It had been a long day and Jinki took a moment to breathe. He snuck away, heading towards the barn that housed the mare and foal; he was shamelessly going to hide for a bit. The workload was overwhelming and the mass of people in and out of the stables set him on edge. Rather than getting alone time however, he all but ran into Sir Minho while turning the corner. 

     "What are you doing out here, Sir?  I believe the ball has begun by now," Jinki commented, a nod in greeting. 

     "Ay, I know.  Hence why I am here.  Nasty thing, those parties.  I have no desire to flash my purse nor am I looking for a wife so my presence is not necessary," Minho informed him, tugging at the sleeves of his dress shirt in discomfort.  The knight really did look out of place in such formal attire as Jinki was more used to seeing him in his military riding clothes.

     Jinki chuckled, glad that Minho hadn't changed much even after being knighted.  He was still as honest and down to earth as always; that was why Jinki enjoyed his company.  Minho was a good fellow and unnecessarily kind to those beneath him. He always had a gentle word and a friendly smile.  However, today Minho looked rather tense, his eyes darting around as if he were waiting for someone to jump out of the woodwork.  

     Jinki knew it wasn’t quite appropriate but there wouldn’t be another opportunity to talk to Sir Minho alone and he chose to take advantage of it, the question already posed on his lips. 

     “Sir… may I be so bold?” Jinki began.  

     “Yes?” Minho said, his eyebrows scrunched in confusion.  

     “Is there any news from the east?  Will we go to war?” Jinki asked.

     Minho frowned, “You know any news must go through the king.” 

     “I… I have a younger brother who has expressed his desire to join the efforts,” Jinki explained, hoping that would lessen the inappropriateness of his question.  “I didn’t mean to put you in a compromising situation, I apologize.” 

     Minho softened.  “I’m sorry to hear that.  There is little I can tell you that you don’t already know.  Things are still… tense. There are negotiations in progress but I cannot say as to which way they are leaning,” Minho told him, his pauses and inflection saying far more than his words but Sir Minho was right, it wasn’t anything Jinki hadn’t heard before. 
Jinki nodded, his shoulders falling. “Thank you.  Have a good evening, Sir Minho.”

     "Ay, you too," Minho said with sincerity. 

     Jinki continued on his way, his thoughts running away with him as he scurried through the stables.  The festival had been a good distraction from his thoughts. Keeping himself busy left him little time or energy to worry over his brother.

     Jinki was so wrapped up in his own mind that he nearly jumped out of his skin to see none other than Miss Gwiboon outside the very door he was heading towards.  He almost wanted to laugh… was no one going to this blasted party? Jinki didn't dwell on the thought too long because for the first time, Miss Gwiboon looked out of place in the stables.  She was dressed for the ball in a voluptuous gown heavy with layers of fabric and ribbons and lace. Her hair was piled up on top of her head in complicated twists and knots and her face powdered and painted.  She looked like someone out of a painting, breathtaking and beautiful.

     "M'lady," Jinki greeted, swallowing down the lump in his throat. 

     "Oh!  Hello Jinki," She said.

     "Shouldn’t you be with Lord Jonghyun?" He questioned before he could think better of it.  It was not his place to ask and he found he didn’t really want to know the answer. 

     "Lord Jonghyun?"

     "Nothing, m'lady.  Were you not enjoying the ball?" Jinki asked, settling beside her and crossing his arms across the stall door.

     She continued to eye him curiously, "I have told you before; I find power rituals of those in my station to be rather dull.  I barely made it through the first course before I was ready to put a fork through my own eye. Anything to end the torture."

     Jinki smiled, "And you wanted to see the foal?"

     She looked a bit sheepish, "If I am allowed."

     "What about your dress, m'lady?  It will get dirty," Jinki said, stealing another glance.

     "It tis but a dress," was her flippant reply.

     "A dress worth enough to feel an entire village for the winter," Jinki quipped.  

     "You think me so affluent I have no regard for those beneath me?"  She asked. 

     "No, m'lady," Jinki replied, opening the stall door and motioning her to enter first.

     "No, thank you.  I wouldn't want my dress to be sullied," She remarked with a tinge of sarcasm.

     Jinki bit back a smile, "Whatever you say, m'lady."

     "And now you treat me as if I am vain!" She cried, throwing up her hands in dismay.

     Jinki outright laughed this time, "I have said no such thing!"

     She huffed in annoyance, "I might as well have stayed at the damn party."

     "M'lady, I only jest.  I will do whatever you wish," Jinki assured her. 

     "Open the door you scoundrel,” she growled, gathering up her mountainous dress and hiking it up to her stocking-clad knees, glaring at Jinki as if daring him to comment.

     Jinki opened the stall without a word, watching her stroll inside with her head high.  He followed in after, closing the door behind them. Jinki hung back, leaning against the door to watch as she forgot all about her fabricated attitude, dropping her dress in favor or patting the colt.  The animal was a curious creature, approaching her without fear to sniff at the ruffles of her dress, bringing the brightest smile to her face.

     “Here, m’lady,” Jinki said, digging into his pocket and pulling out a small piece of carrot he’d swiped from the kitchens earlier that day.  “The foal is still a bit too young for it but the mare is starved for attention.”

     “Well that just won’t do!” She said, taking the treat from his hand and approaching the mare, “Have you been neglected big girl?  No one cares about you now that the baby is here, huh?” She cooed, the animal’s long nose with affection.

     “You really care for horses, don’t you?” Jinki asked.  Being around the animals always seemed to bring out a softer side of Miss Gwiboon.

     “Ay, I told you so before,” she responded.

     “That you did.”

     “Whose beast is she?” She asked, scratching the mare’s jaw as the horse munched on the carrot.

     “Baron Lee.  Lives by the eastern wall.  She was bred of the King’s stallion so the colt is worth more than the Baron’s whole estate.  It was deemed best that the two remain here until the colt is old enough to be separated,” Jinki informed her.

     “It makes sense, I suppose.  What will happen to them?” She asked, but Jinki suspected she already knew the answer. 

     “The mare will go back to the Baron and the colt will be trained and sold or perhaps kept as a stud,” Jinki answered.  It was hard to imagine the colt in front of him growing into a stallion and leaving these grounds. Jinki always grew attached, even when he knew the horse was only in the stables for a short period of time.

     “He will be a fine horse someday.  Will you get to train him?” She asked, rubbing a soothing path up and down the planes of the mare’s face.

     “That he will but it will not be my doing.  He is worth more than my life. One of the palace trainers will be entrusted with him,” Jinki told her.

     “Not your doing?  You cared for the mare throughout her pregnancy and you have cared for him since the day he dropped.  He is as gentle as a lamb and the mare is showing no signs of aggression even with a stranger. That is entirely your doing,” she argued. 

     “M’lady, you think too highly of me.  I merely do my job,” Jinki said, hanging his head in embarrassment at her praise.  His efforts at the stable were rarely noticed or acknowledged by any other than Joonha, he didn’t quite know how to accept such a compliment from a noble.

     She huffed in reply, “Always so humble.”

     “That is bad, m’lady?” 

     “It tis infuriating.  I cannot tell if it is all for show or if you are truly that virtuous,” she responded.

     “Which do you think, m’lady?”

     “You leave me no option but to say the latter.  And a scary prospect that is,” she responded, her voice softening. 

     “M’lady?” Jinki raised an eyebrow in question.  

     “Nothing,” she said dismissively.  “Why are you not married, Jinki? You are old enough,” she asked.

     “I— I am the head of my household already,” he responded, confused by the sudden change in conversation but he didn’t press.  “There are many responsibilities on my shoulders. I have no time to think of such things with a family back home that must stay housed and fed.”

     “I see.  Our situations aren’t so different, are they?  The future of our respective families resting on our shoulders,” she smiled humorlessly.

     “Tis similar, I suppose.  But I do not envy m’lady. My situation is temporary until the young ones are grown.  I am free to do as I like, to marry whomever I choose,” He said, leaving his true meaning unspoken.

     “Ay.  We are similar and different.  I see my purpose here at the palace is no secret, even among the servants,” she said, shaking her head in amusement. 

     “M’lady, the servants are the first to hear everything.  Surely you know that?” Jinki told her.

     She laughed, “I am learning.  Thank you for the reprieve, Jinki, but fear I must get back to the party.”

     “Yes, m’lady,” Jinki said, holding the stall door open for her.  She brushed her dress off, groaning at the straw and dust clinging to the hemline.

     “Don’t you say a word,” she hissed, shaking out her dress as best she could.  

     “Enjoy the party, m’lady,” Jinki said, laughing quietly to himself.  She rolled her eyes, before squaring her shoulders and heading back towards the palace, back to the world she belong to.