Chapter 4

Iron Caste

     The weather dipped colder, the first frost hitting hard and killing off any remaining greenery around the palace.  Jinki found himself wearing more and more layers to try and keep warm during his long rides. While he looked forward to taking the horses out, enjoying the sunshine and a chance to get away for everything, even if only for a few minutes, during the winter it became more of a chore than anything else.  He had to keep heavy wool clothing and even a borrowed fur to wear while out. His thick winter gloves did little to keep the cold wind at bay; his fingers feeling like icicles by the time he returned. The cold snap seemed to be an omen for a rather long winter to come and it was putting a damper on everyone’s mood.

     “Jinki!” came a sharp call from across the stables.  Jinki looked up from the saddle he was oiling to find Joonha searching for him.  

     “Hyung, you needed me?” Jinki replied, exiting the tack room so the elder could see him.  

     “Jinki-ya, tomorrow you are to drive the carriage for Miss Gwiboon.  She is planning a day trip up north to visit her family and it seems she has requested you to accompany her,” Joonha informed him, the elder straight to the point per usual.  Jinki frowned, unsure how to take such information. He worked in the stables; it was definitely not his job to haul bored noble women around the countryside. “You are to leave tomorrow at dawn.  It should only take a few hours to reach the northern city however, it is a desolate stretch of road so pack light provisions since there will be no chance to stop until you reach the city.”

     “Ay, I understand,” Jinki responded, ignoring the oddity of the situation and focusing on planning out everything he would need for the journey.

     His morning seemed to fly by as he was filled with thoughts of what was to come.  While he was still confused why he was going to be responsible for this noble woman, he had never been to the northern city and was excited to have a chance to see it and maybe even explore another part of the kingdom.  Sure, it was only one day and he wouldn’t have much time to see anything but with luck he could buy a few gifts for his family and maybe find a little inspiration to paint while he was away. There wasn’t much to complain about since it meant a day away from the stables.  While he loved his job, it was nice to get a break every once in awhile.  

     Before he quite realized it, it was time for lunch and he went off to find Taemin.

     “Tomorrow you are going to be working with Joonha hyung,” Jinki informed the younger boy as they started the long trek up the hill towards the palace. 

     “Really?  Why is that?” Taemin questioned, he had only ever worked with Jinki since he started at the stables, so it must have sounded strange to the boy.

     “I am taking a noble up north for a day trip.  I should be gone before you arrive in the morning and will return late tomorrow night.” Jinki explained.

     “You’re taking Miss Gwiboon?” Taemin questioned.

     Jinki looked at him in surprise, “Yes, how did you know?”

     “Miss Gwiboon is the only noble who requests you to personally do things for her,” Taemin said with a shrug.

     Jinki let out a small laugh, “Well, yes.  This is true.  I’ve never met a noble so stubborn about the simplest things.”  He shook his head, unsure what to make of the situation. Like everything Miss Gwiboon seemed to do, it was quite odd.  Most nobles didn’t notice or care which servants were assigned to them and Jinki still wasn’t sure it was a good thing that she had taken notice of him.

~~~

     Upon arriving the next morning, he made quick work of putting Sangchu away before heading up to the palace kitchens to retrieve their provisions for the day.  Despite the early hour, the kitchens were already bustling with activity, there was always something to be prepared, a table of potatoes waiting to be peeled and a freshly cleaned deer carcass, waiting to be cut and salted for preservation.  

     “Jinki, there you are,” Madame Kim said, tying up the corners of a rather large collection of food: a full loaf of bread, some salted meat, two large apples, a large chunk of cheese and two flasks of ale.

     “You know it’s only a day trip, right?” Jinki said, eyebrow rose in question.

     “Well you must both eat breakfast!  Don’t you lie to me, boy.  I know you haven’t had a morsel all morning!  And it’s a long trip so you will want a bite while on the road, not to mention the trip back!  You mark my words, that basket will run empty soon enough and you will wish you had taken more,” she told him, not leaving any room for argument.  After their years together, Jinki knew better than to try.  

     Jinki chuckled, “Thank you.  Whatever would I do without you?”

     “Shrivel up and die,” she retorted.  

     “I’m sure we could rid the world of plague if only we all took your advice,” Jinki teased further.

     “Finally, someone with some sense.  Go on now, wouldn’t want to rouse the beast that is her temper by being late now would you?” She said, shooing him away.

     Jinki nodded, taking the package under his arm and making his way back to the stables.  The sun crept over the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and purple. The weather was still bitterly cold but the morning sun was starting to chase away any clouds, leaving them with an enjoyable day for an outing.  Jinki greeted his fellow stable hands, everyone still a bit overcast with sleep as he set about preparing the carriage, checking and double checking the horses before leading them around to the front of the stables and waiting for Miss Gwiboon to arrive.  

     True to her personality, she arrived just as the sun had crested the hillside, her dress fashionable and heavy with layers of intricate embroidery more detailed than Jinki had ever seen.  The colors were deep and rich from expensive dyes and her jewelry made no question about her station. Her hair was pulled up atop her head, ringlets falling in a purposeful effortlessness, framing her delicate face.  Jinki had only ever seen her in her riding attire, simple colors of linen and wool paired with hearty leather boots. The woman before him now though, she was something else entirely. The two images were so different, it was hard for Jinki to reconcile in his mind.  As she stood before him oozing with wealth and status, it was near impossible for Jinki to understand how she could be the same woman he’d stumbled upon in the woods only a few days prior. 

     Jinki bowed low, opening the carriage door for her and offering a steadying hand so she could step inside.  The carriage itself was fine without being flamboyant or flashy. The mere fact that someone was riding in a carriage signified wealthy and status, no need to encourage bandits and robbers further.  It was made of a dark oak and elegant wrought iron fastenings. Due to the chilly weather, the carriage he chose was fully enclosed, protecting the passenger from rain, wind and cold while the driver sat up on a wooden bench behind the horses.  Jinki was thankful the weather was nice enough since it was a long trip and he didn’t fancy driving the carriage in the rain, considering how cold out it was. Jinki snapped the door shut behind her, no words being exchanged at such an early hour of the morning.  He slid on his sturdy leather gloves, pulling his cap low over his eyes and climbed onto the bench and setting all their provisions beside himself, tucked in with a few extra blankets as he prepared the set out. The horses were prancing in anticipation, the open path calling to them, but Jinki kept them to a smooth gait as they exited the palace grounds and went out into the city.  

     The streets were still scarce with life, a few merchants and common workers going about their days, but most people still enjoying the last few minutes of comfort in their homes.  It didn’t take long before they reached the deserted road leading towards the northern city; civilization trickled away and melted into thick forest on either side of them. Now outside of city walls, their surroundings seemed to come alive with the sounds of wildlife.  Jinki knotted the reins, looping them around the rod in front of his bench to keep them from falling, their heavily wooded surroundings were enough to keep the horses on course. Jinki rifled through the provisions Madame Kim had sent with him, pulling out one of the flasks, an apple and a bit of meat for himself before rolling his knuckles against the small compartment separating himself from Gwiboon.  She opened the small window with a questioning quirk to her eyebrows only to be met with Jinki’s bright smile, “M’lady, have you eaten? The kitchens sent along food for the trip if you are hungry,” Jinki held up the package for her to see.  

     “Thank you,” She replied, accepting the offering without another word.  Jinki turned back to the road, munching on his apple and humming a little tune as the road stretched out in an endless snaking path before them.  The trip was quiet, Gwiboon making no attempt to talk with him and Jinki didn’t disrupt her beyond what was necessary. The horses were both reliable beasts who enjoyed their day out as much as Jinki himself did, and were making good time on the empty road.  It was nearing noonday when they reached the outer walls of the city, buildings rising up and signs of life in the form of workers out in the fields bringing in the last of the harvest and merchants peddling their wares to anyone who would listen.  

     Jinki knocked against the dividing window once again, “M’lady?  We have arrived. Where would you like me to take you first?”

     “My family estate is to the east, just over the next ridge.  I will spend the day with my family so you can rest the horses in the stables and take the day for yourself.  The city square is but a short walk. I should like to leave soon after evening meal.”

     “As you wish, m’lady,” Jinki replied, guiding the carriage on her direction until the estate rose up within his sight.  It was a large compound, a sizable home made of stone and its own stables surrounded by land so vast it must have been worked by many servants.  Jinki knew that nobles such as Miss Gwiboon came from money he could not fathom, but it was different to see it up close. It was just a little bit intimidating, even for someone like Jinki who worked at the palace.  Jinki expected such things at the palace where royalty and nobles congregated to show off their wealth. The palace itself was built and maintained through taxes and the sweat of the commoners. However, it was different to see wealth like this.  To know that this wasn’t simply a show of one’s purse but a daily occurrence. Miss Gwiboon truly came from a different world. 

     He held his chin high, driving up to the front where they were greeted by footmen who went about opening the carriage and greeting Miss Gwiboon.  She vanished inside the cold, stone walls without a glance in his direction and Jinki was left alone to tend to the horses. He guided the carriage around to the stables, greeting the stable hands and following obediently as one of them directed him to an available stall to house the horses for the day.  He made quick work of getting both horses settled and the tack cleaned and ready to be put back on for the evening.  

     Jinki gathered his things, a skip in his step as he set off for the town, excited to drink in all the new sights before him.  The air was crisp and the square alive with vibrant life, people bustling all around and street stalls filled with food assaulting his senses from all angles.  Jinki strolled aimlessly, stopping to buy a bit of spit fired meat and a sweet bread. This was the first time he had been able to get away from the capital in years and he figured there was no better excuse to empty his purse a bit.

     The sound of boisterous laughter pulled his attention away from the expansion of street stalls and instead pulled his feet towards the crowd of children giggling over a puppet show.  A warm smile spread through Jinki as he watched a comical depiction before him. The subject matter a satire about the political tension shaking the ground they called home, but the children far too innocent and simple to understand that, instead they enjoyed the slapstick comedic quality of it.  Jinki spared a small coin for the performers, continuing to explore further, winding down a narrow alley only to stumble into a sign advertising artistry supplies. The shop was simple, dedicating far more space to various herbs and roots than brushes but it was more than Jinki could ever hope for.  He allowed himself to browse, studying the different sized brushes bound with fine squirrel hair and various inks and parchments. Jinki looked on the blue dye pigments with longing but only knew he could never afford such a luxury. He gave a nod to the shopkeeper and moved on, not wanting to linger or draw attention to himself. 

     Jinki let his feet wander again, this time his eyes falling on a fine wool scarf made of a deep maroon.  The material was soft and the simple embroidery of silver thread was elegant. Jinki couldn’t stop himself from purchasing it, imagining the smile on his mother's face when she received it in the next package he sent home.  

     Jinki went about browsing the different stalls looking for presents for the rest of his family as well.  He found a hunting knife, a fine blade set in a bone handle. It was simple and beautiful. While Jinki still remembered his brother as a small child, he knew his brother was growing up and could appreciate and use such a gift. 

     He settled on a small silk purse for his baby sister, Sojeong.  It was made from leftover scraps of fabric, a patchwork of varying shades or red and purple that came together to form a small flower design in the center.  For Sojin, he decided on a delicate lace shawl dyed a pale blue. She was promised to be married in the winter after all and while he desperately wanted to be there, he knew it was unlikely he could make the long trip home for the event.  The palace didn’t rest just because he wanted a vacation and the horses were always in need of attention regardless of his schedule. He had built up his reputation by being a reliable stable hand, always prompt and always diligent and so far it had served him well.  He didn’t want to tarnish that by being overly demanding. While he knew he couldn’t be there for her wedding, he at the very least wanted to get her a gift for her special day and new life to come.   

     Once he was finished with the gifts for his family he splurged on a package of sweets, a hard candy sweetened with honey that he knew his siblings would adore.  He saved out a few pieces for Taemin, having found a soft spot within himself for the boy, and even allowed a small piece to touch his own tongue.

     The sun was starting to dip low and Jinki felt it best to wrap up his time at the market, buying a warm mince pie and a bottle of ale to enjoy on his way back before he set off back to Miss Gwiboon’s manor, his purse light but his knapsack heavy with gifts for his loved ones.  It had been an enjoyable day and Jinki was actually quite glad that Miss Gwiboon had picked him to drive her. Otherwise he would probably never have had the chance to see the northern city in his lifetime.  

     Jinki quickened his pace, the sun slipping lower, melding with the landscape and the sky gradually darkening into an orange hue.  He made a beeline for the stables, surprised to find the stable boys of the manor already hitching the horses to the carriage in his absence.  He stowed his new purchases behind his seat, preparing the lanterns to attach to the carriage for their long journey for it would soon be too dark to travel without them.  Once that was finished, he drew the carriage around to the front of the manor andd waited for Miss Gwiboon to exit the house so they could being the trip back to the palace.

     He only had to wait a few minutes before she stepped outside, her cheeks rosy and her eyes were alight with a joyfulness that was uncommon for her but becoming to say the least.  The page that followed along behind her was laden heavily with boxes of things she was bringing back to the palace with her. Jinki was glad to see that this had been a pleasant trip for them both.

     As before, Jinki waited until they were out of the city and onto the deserted path before addressing Miss Gwiboon, “M’lady, I trust you had a pleasant stay?”

     “I did,” she replied.

     “I am glad.  If you get hungry, there is still plenty of salted meat and a few slabs of cheese left.  Also, it’s quite cold tonight so please let me know if you are in need of another blanket,” Jinki informed her.  

     “Thank you, Jinki.  I’m just fine for now,” Gwiboon responded with a pleasant smile.  

     “Yes M’lady, well if you need anything, you know where to find me,” Jinki responded with a cheeky smile.  He settled back against the carriage, relying on the dense trees to keep the horses on the path. The sky continued to darken, turning shadowy as it filtered through the thick trees.  It had been a long but enjoyable day and Jinki allowed himself to relax, letting the horses do the work of getting them home and out of the cold.