Chapter 18

Iron Caste

     “Let’s go for a ride,” she suggested, smiling up at him.  The two of them were hidden away from the world in Cheonsa’s stall.

     “Alright,” Jinki readily agreed.  She let out a happy little squeal of excitement that made Jinki laugh.  He felt like he might burst with happiness at any moment. He’d never dared to dream that he could be this happy, this in love.   

     “Saddle him quickly, I shall meet you in the meadow.  No dallying this time either. You know how I hate waiting,” she commanded in that playful tone of hers.  

     “Whatever you wish, m’lady,” He responded, his eyes softening in fondness.

     “You know that when we are alone you can just call me Gwiboon.  All this title nonsense is getting a bit old don’t you think?” her voice dipping quieter, more serious than usual. 

     Jinki blushed a little bit, looking down at his feet rather than meeting her eyes, “I— that— what if someone overheard?”

     “Oh you worry too much,” she responded.

     “And you, m’lady, are far too reckless.”

     She only giggled in response.

     Jinki shook his head, feeling as though he would suffocate from the affection he held for the woman before him. “Let’s go.  I shall prepare the horses.”

     Since that day, Gwiboon had found excuses to come to the stables near daily.  She’d began playing up Cheonsa’s fictitious injury so she could spend her time in the stables while avoiding questioning looks.  When Joonha asked Jinki about it, he had simply replied that Miss Gwiboon was making a mountain out of a molehill; the horse was fine.  He didn’t want the elder to take it upon himself to check on the beast and see that he was in perfect condition.  

     Jinki felt guilty for betraying Joonha’s trust.  The man had taken care of him for years, treating him like a son, and Jinki was risking everything for a woman.  The elder would be disappointed in him, but Jinki couldn’t find it in himself to care as soon as he saw Miss Gwiboon and her perfect smile that was reserved just for him.  He realized he would do just about anything for this woman and that knowledge was as scary as it was exhilarating. 

     Jinki sent her on her way and went to saddle a horse for himself.  His face burned from the chill in the air but Jinki had a permanent smile on his face as he rode towards the meadow, knowing that she would be waiting there.  It was a strange and wonderful feeling to know that she was just over the next hill, waiting so they could spend every spare second drinking in each other’s presence.  He nudged his horse to go a bit faster, eager to be at her side. It felt like they were the only two people in the world when they were alone, far from the prying eyes of the palace.  He couldn’t seem to help himself as he got more and more excited with each step he took closer to his love.  

     “You always take so long,” Gwiboon whined when he arrived.

     “I’m sorry, m’lady.  I came as fast as I could.”  He slid from the horse and tied it beside Cheonsa.  Gwiboon was already seated on the sliver of grass they’d dubbed their own, her riding cloak pulled tight around her to protect against the bite in the air.  Jinki settled beside her, feeling giddy just to be near her.

     Jinki’s nerves always seemed to spike whenever he was alone with her.  After his confession, there had been an awkwardness that lingered between them, both hesitant and unsure.  Jinki had felt like a stuttering fool, blushing at ever brush of her hand when they were together. His mind would immediately jump to that day in the stables, when he’d let passion overcome rational thought.  However, with each passing day the tension seemed to lessen. While Jinki still felt like a stuttering fool, Gwiboon seemed to be getting back to her old self - forward and reckless.

     “It’s getting so cold,” Gwiboon whined, shooting Jinki a hopeful glance.  The elder may have been inexperienced with women but Gwiboon didn’t often go for subtle tactics anyway, making it easy for even someone as simple as himself to understand.  He scooted impossibly closer and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

     “Better?” He asked, his heartbeat quickening at the proximity.  Every second he spent with her felt like he was drowning, he was so far out of his element but there was nowhere else he would rather be.  He may be drowning but right now, he was pretty sure he would rather accept his fate than give up this feeling. 

     She nodded with a soft smile, her warmth beside him so comfortable and inviting.

     “Tell me more about you?” Jinki requested. 

     “What would you like to know?”

     “Everything?’

     She laughed, “Let’s see… I am the eldest of two, my younger sister is my pride and joy and I miss her terribly.  ‘My mother had complications from her birth, barely surviving herself, but it left her barren. I fear that is what led my father to his less than reputable ways; he never had a son to carry on the family name.  Regardless, my parents are good people. My mother did her best to hide my father’s acts from the public eye, raising us with a strict hand. Likewise, our father is loving. It is easy to feel anger and betrayal at his actions but he has always been a doting parent.  They are far from perfect but they are my family and I care for them deeply,” her voice was soft as she slipped into old memories.

     “They sound lovely,” Jinki murmured against her hair, his fingers making a lazy trail up and down her arm as he listened to her words.  

     “What about you?”

     “I have already told you all there is to tell about my family!” Jinki chuckled.

     “Well tell me something else then,” she requested, her arm snaking around his waist, toying with the hem of his shirt with restless fingers, her eyes wide and curious.  

     “I can’t think of anything, you are being too distracting right now,” he muttered, causing her to giggle.  He made no move to stop her, so her fingers continued to play with the fabric, gentle and teasing.

     “How did you get so good with horses?” She asked.

     “My father was a ferrier.  When I was old enough, he started bringing me with him when he would travel around to the neighboring villages to tend to the horses.  I was in charge of carrying his supplies and keeping the horses steady for him. I learned to be comfortable around horses at a young age and found I quite enjoyed it.  Sometimes we would go to the manor on the other side of the river and the Lord’s stable hands would let me help them. They must have thought me a silly child who just wanted attention but I actually learned a lot from them,” Jinki spoke of his past with a fond smile, memories of his father flooding his mind.  It had been such a long time now since he had seen his father. He did miss him, would always miss him, however, enough time had passed that he was able to remember without the hurt. The longing would never fully go away, but it no longer ached inside to remember that his father was no longer with him.  

     “You really do enjoy working at the stables, don’t you?”

     “Of course.  I like the work and I am able to handle the finest horses in the whole country.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would be riding the mare that belonged to the queen,” Jinki nodded to Nari who was grazing quietly beside Gwiboon’s own Cheonsa.  “What about you? I want to hear more about your childhood too,” Jinki asked, deflecting the conversation away from himself. His fingers absentmindedly training up and down her arm.

     “My childhood?  I was considered a rather odd child.  My mother was at her wits end dealing with me.  I was always outside, playing in the dirt or at the stables begging the stable hands to take me for a ride on my favorite horse, a stallion named Major, black as midnight with quite the temper.  Goodness he was a gorgeous creature. Of course my mother forbid me to even go near the stall, saying it was far too dangerous, but I would sneak treats from the kitchens for him. It didn’t take too long before he grew comfortable in my presence.  

     “My father doted on me a lot.  I think my behavior fulfilled some of that longing to have a son for him so he encouraged it for as long as my mother would tolerate.  She hated it though. Forcing me to spend hours practicing needlepoint and hiring tutor after tutor to teach me the most boring subjects.  I always envied the commoners as a child. They didn’t have to learn to read or memorize the royal lineage! And on top of that, they were allowed to play outside with the horses whenever they wanted!  I was a simple child, only seeing those things as the differences between social class and I would have given anything as a child to live the life of a commoner. As I grew older, I was forced to stay inside and focus on my studies.  My mother started severely punishing any servants who helped me evade my lessons and the stable hands were under strict orders to shoo me away if I stepped foot in the stables. I found ways around that of course, but it was exhausting.”

     “Did you ever get to ride the stallion?” Jinki asked.

     “Of course.  That’s how I learned to ride ,” She laughed. 

     Jinki smiled.  It was so like her, to pick the most dangerous of animals and teach herself to ride.  Silence fell over them again and Jinki letting out a soft sigh.

     “Must we go back to the palace soon?” Gwiboon asked, anticipating his next words. 

     Jinki sighed again, “It would be best.”  His regret and hesitation obvious, he did not want to leave their safe haven.  He pulled himself to his feet, admiring the flush of her cheeks, the cold tinting them a rosy pink, before offering Gwiboon a hand.

     She took it, grudgingly, and carefully dusted off her dress.  “Shall we ride again tomorrow?” She asked, a hopeful note in her tone. 

     Jinki smiled.  He would be forever amazed that this woman wanted to spend her time with him.  It made no sense but Jinki could do nothing but accept it and bask in his luck.  “If you wish, m’lady.” 

     She smiled in that soft way that made the faintest of dimples appear on her cheeks and Jinki was once again, smitten.  

~~~

     Jinki arrived back at the stables first, untacking the mare and giving her a quick once over with the brush.  She hadn’t even worked up a sweat since they only went to the meadow, ignoring her workout in favor of spending more with Miss Gwiboon.  Who was he becoming? Neglecting his work because of a woman? It was a thought process he had never been able to understand before and now it was his life. 

     As he had finished with the mare, he saw Miss Gwiboon approaching the stables.  Perfect timing. He hurried to put his tack away before going to greet her, both of them falling back into their roles seamlessly.  Miss Gwiboon played the part of an overbearing noble, watching Jinki’s ever move like a hawk so to keep others from suspecting. Likewise, Jinki kept his words polite and tried his best to fight off the adoring smile that seemed to slip onto his face so easily when he was with her. 

     Once Cheonsa was put away, Jinki began walking her back towards the palace pretending like they were discussing Cheonsa’s fictitious injury and recovery whenever they were seen while they cut through one of the lesser-used barns.  They were too engrossed in sneaking the slightest touches and trying to hide lovesick smiles that neither of them noticed the presence of hidden voices until they were right upon them, secretive whispers coming from the hayloft. Jinki raised his eyebrow, the two of them looking at each other in wonder.  Jinki had never been one to eavesdrop; pulling at her arm to be on their way while still undetected when he heard the voices again, this time loud and clear and he froze. He knew that voice…

     “I wanted to see you; talk to you.  Please?”

     “What is there to talk about?  Ugh, and why here? My tunic is getting all musty,” the man whined, sounding rather childish.  

     “Stop it Hyun, you know why here.  I wanted to talk, and no one will find us here.  Plus, this place brings back some good memories, doesn’t it?” 

     “Don’t you dare, Choi Minho.  You lost the right to speak so informally to me and you definitely don’t get to bring up the past,” his voice like ice.

     “You are right.  I apologize,” Minho responded, almost too quiet for them to hear.  

     “You wanted to talk?  Well, let’s talk.  I have no room for the likes of you in my social schedule.  We have already severed all ties so let’s keep it that way, shall we?  Just so you know, I am officially courting Kim Gwiboon now and I will ask for her hand by the end of the season.”

     The sharp intake of breath was hard to misconstrue, “You— you care for her?”

     “Of course not.  I am not like you.  I cannot deny who I am with such ease.  However, I have little choice. My family is pressuring me to take a wife.  She is as good a choice as any. I enjoy Gwiboon’s company, nothing more, nothing less.”

     “I see you still think so highly of me,” Minho sounded annoyed.

     “I simply regret giving my heart or my body to someone so calloused as yourself.  No matter, the past is the past. I was but a boy. I shall not make the same mistake twice.”  

     “I— I am sorry.  I did— do care for you.  We both know why—” Minho began, his tone pleading for understanding.

     “I’m not interested in your excuses.  Are we done here? I trust I will not see you around the palace much from now on?”

     “If that is your wish.” 

     “It is.”

     “Alright.”  Jinki had never heard such sadness, such hopelessness in Sir Minho’s tone.  The young man was always happy and b with confidence whenever Jinki saw him.  However, now he sounded older, worn in a way that was disproportionate to his age.  

     Jinki’s head reeled at the information.  Sir Minho and Lord Jonghyun were… two men… together… He had never given such an idea any room in his mind.  However it made sense. It was the missing piece to the puzzle and it all started to come together now, the abrupt change in Lord Jonghyun and his ended “friendship” with Sir Minho.  Lord Jonghyun’s attitude toward women… it all fit. None of that really mattered to Jinki however, because Lord Jonghyun just confirmed his deepest fear. Lord Jonghyun planned to wed Gwiboon.  He planned to ask her hand when he had no feelings for her. Lord Jonghyun planned to take Gwiboon away from Jinki, and they all knew he would succeed. It had been mere days that he and Gwiboon had carved out this fragment of stolen happiness and already it was slipping through his fingers like water, vanishing like a puff of smoke before his eyes.  Jinki’s heart was racing and his eyes prickled with tears. He had always known he couldn’t have her, not really. However, that knowledge seemed to have evaded his heart, the piece inside him that was now cracked and broken.

     She was going to marry another.

     She was going to marry Lord Jonghyun.