chapter 11

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

I'm sorry for the delay, with everything that's going on right now, my life just got disorganized and i didn't have much motivation to write. Anywho, there probably will be a bunch of typos and/or mistakes cuz I didn't have time to edit, but I also didn't want to make you guys wait for too long. But I hope you guys enjoy :))

Warning: Angst ahead

 

D-100

By now, three months had passed since the day she brought an amnesiac wife home, and Chaeyeon has given up much of her hope. At this point Chaeyeon doesn’t think it was possible for Eunbi’s memories to return and there was absolutely no reason for Chaeyeon to hold out her expectations anymore. If she can help it, at least. To the best of her abilities, she reminds herself that this was the new normal and the old Eunbi was just never coming back. The sooner she accepts this, her life would be so much easier and so much less disappointing.

 

The deal they made was a radical idea that Chaeyeon churned up for that very reason. It was for Eunbi, mostly, because Chaeyeon didn’t want her wife to be under any more pressure on top of dealing with her memory loss. But it was also partly for Chaeyeon; It was a stop sign, telling her that this woman was not fully, completely hers––that Eunbi was not her wife that she married. She was a version of Eunbi that hadn’t been in a relationship with Chaeyeon, hadn’t lived with her, and hadn’t shared a life with her.

 

The purpose of the deal was so Chaeyeon wouldn’t hurt herself expecting for a repeat of their relationship, because deep down Chaeyeon knows it was something near impossible.

 

Although, there are times when Eunbi surprises her. Like this morning, when a passing comment was the closest glimpse to her Eunbi, the closes she’s seen in a while.

 

As the front door opened, Wonyoung walked in with her science project in her hands. As she was bringing the big diorama across the threshold, the teenager clumsily tripped on her own foot. “Ouch !”

 

“Wonnie, don’t curse,” Eunbi immediately scolded her, though she kept her attention on the food she was cooking. Then, as if habitually, she glances at her wife in the living room. “Chae, tell your daughter to stop cursing!”

 

After that, no one in the room spoke, no one moved either. It was almost as if time had stopped. 

 

Seconds passed and Wonyoung had been the first one to shake herself out of the trance. “You just scolded me! Mom, you just scolded me!!”

 

“You called me Chae...” Chaeyeon whispers breathlessly to herself.

 

That was this morning.

 

But of course, there are times where Eunbi doesn’t act the way she used to. Actually... it was most of the time. More often than not, Eunbi had done things that were different than what Chaeyeon was used to. But it was the little things that stick out—Her little idiosyncrasies that just don’t match up with the old Eunbi. Those things that made Eunbi so characteristically her. Her, the woman Chaeyeon married. Her, the mother of their daughter. Her, who is Chaeyeon’s first and only love.

 

Chaeyeon knows there’s no way she could ever unlove Eunbi, not even in this situation, not in an alternate universe. Never.

 

But it’s still hard to ignore the differences that were so jarring, no matter how miniscule they were.

 

“Why can’t we watch The Conjuring?” Wonyoung whines.

 

They sat on the sofa comfortably in front of the television with Wonyoung in between her two mothers. It was in the evening, and they had decided to watch a movie together after having dinner. 

 

“Because your mom is a scaredy cat,” Chaeyeon teases her wife, knowing that Eunbi couldn’t scold her with anything other than a scoff.

 

Eunbi huffs like a child. “You know what, let's watch it.”

 

Wonyoung couldn’t stop herself from tossing her head back to laugh aloud. “Mom, please, don’t kid yourself. Mama and I have to go to the cinema because you wouldn’t let us watch horror movies at home or anywhere near you.” 

 

“Well, I don’t mind it now,” Eunbi insisted, pouting a little.

 

Chaeyeon sits up to lock eyes with her wife. "You sure?”

 

Wonyoung had pressed play the moment Eunbi started to nod.

 

Eunbi wasn’t wrong about not minding it now. Though it was not the case later on when she knocked on the guestroom door at two in the morning, waking Chaeyeon up from a dream of a time forgotten (on Eunbi's part). Still groggy and with sleep in her eyes, Chaeyeon lets out a loud yawn. Against her utter exhaustion, Chaeyeon sits up on the bed. She squints, looking around the room, trying to figure out what it was that woke her up.

 

The door was slightly open, and a figure was standing against the doorframe. “Eunbi?”

 

“Yeah.” Eunbi walks inside and sits on the edge of the bed near Chaeyeon’s feet. “I guess this is why I don’t watch horror movies, huh? I absolutely can't sleep.”

 

“I did

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter