chapter 28

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

D+128

Life had settled. 

 

It was almost two months after the divorce that things were finally looking up. Eunbi’s transition to the new company was practically seamless. Though her relationship with Wonyoung was still strained, at least it now consisted more than just exchanging a few words at a time each day. Chaeyeon had also stopped giving Eunbi the silent treatment, it was maybe even enough to be considered civil.

 

Only time would tell if her life would continue in its somewhat upward trajectory. Eunbi was almost ready to bet on it. That is, until she got a call from Wonyoung’s school in the middle of her lunch break.

 

When Eunbi hung up the call, her immediate reaction was to swear. Repeatedly. 

 

It took Eunbi a few seconds to gather her thoughts before she finally went to her new boss for an extended lunch break, and after getting permission, she quickly got in her car. All the while, Eunbi somehow felt like she was forgetting something.

 

She was ready to drive off to Wonyoung’s school, her foot already on the gas, but then finally remembered what it was she forgot. Eunbi took out her phone quickly and called a number on her speed dial. The monotonous tone as it was ringing only annoyed Eunbi more for the wait.

 

Finally, the call was answered, “...Eunbi?” came Chaeyeon’s questioning voice. Her ex-wife must have found it confusing for Eunbi to call her after not doing it for so long.

 

Eunbi chose to skip any pleasantries and immediately got to the chase. “Wonnie punched her classmate. Her principal wants to see us now.”

 

“Wonyoung did what?!” the shock was evident in Chaeyeon’s tone, but Eunbi cuts her off quickly asking, “Can you leave work?”

 

“Y-yeah. I’ll meet you at Wonnie’s school as soon as I can,” Chaeyeon barely manages to stammer out her response before Eunbi ends the call, hurrying to get to Wonyoung’s school.

 

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––

 

As Wonyoung waited outside the office, her two mothers sat next to each other across from the principal in silence. Their backs were stiff, and their hands gripped the hand rest like a lifeline. A passing thought told Eunbi that she would have felt better if she held onto Chaeyeon’s hand, but the thought left her just as quickly as it came. It was almost as if they were the students awaiting punishment by the looks of how anxious they are. Though, maybe their demeanor could also be attributed to this being the longest time Chaeyeon and Eunbi had to be in the same room together since even before the divorce. 

 

“Wonyoung was caught skipping class. And that was after she punched another student. He fell onto the floor, hard––He has a slight concussion, but he’ll be fine. Thankfully, his parents said that they would overlook this incident if Wonyoung apologizes, because they know what your family is going through.”

 

Both Eunbi and Chaeyeon shifted uncomfortably in their seats.

 

It was Chaeyeon who replied for the both of them, “We’ll make sure Wonyoung apologizes to her classmate.”

 

The principal nods. “I know that the divorce must be hard on your daughter... I remember Wonyoung’s teachers have had nothing but praises for her attitude, and she’s never slacked off in class since she started highschool. But this week she not only skipped class and got into a fist fight, but her grades are barely passing,” the principal said. “Regrettably, we have no choice but to suspend her. It’s just for a week. Maybe that would give her enough time to get her bearings, and for the two of you to talk to her about… everything.”

 

After a promise to discipline their daughter, the two women brought Wonyoung home––That being Eunbi’s apartment, the house where Wonyoung was currently staying for the rest of the week.

 

The teenager huffed the entire way home, looking completely annoyed, evident by the glares she was giving Eunbi. It was a wonder to both adults that Wonyoung even complied when Eunbi had sat her down in the living room with just one word, to “sit”, paired with a stern look.

 

“Wonnie, you can't just punch people. I can’t believe I have to tell you this,” Chaeyeon says, exasperated and still shocked. Her arms were crossed, meaning business, as she stood in front of her daughter. “What were you thinking?”

 

The teenager in question had kept quiet.

 

“Wonyoung,” Eunbi calls out with a serious tone, prompting their daughter to speak. Eunbi hadn’t realized until now that she was the serious one between them. Chaeyeon may be stern with her employees but not at all with their daughter. And Eunbi has never

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter