New beginnings pt 2

Culture shock

Kang Seulgi is a great many things. A good cop, a good girlfriend, an okay cook, a connoisseur if you will. But this, this right here. She just might be bad at. Being a daughter her father was proud of might be the hardest thing she’s ever done. You try so hard and yet. It’s whatever honestly. It’s not that big a deal. It’s not like she needs him. She just wants him. 

 

Wants and needs and all that, he taught her that. You need shelter, you want a flatscreen TV. You need to breathe, you want your father to be there. Different things. But now Irene is starting to show and tomorrow is their last day in Pattaya and she guesses maybe it would be a good time to warn her father that Irene is pregnant and that yeah! He was right. Being a cop is hard. But she’s got a good support system now and everything is going to be okay. 

 

Speaking of support systems, like a thief in the night, or a super ninja if Joy’s description is anything to go by, Seulgi sneaks out onto the balcony overlooking the beach and water. “Hello?” 

 

“Oh I’m sorry. Are you sleeping?”

 

“I was. But it’s alright. How are you? You doin alright?” Seulgi smiles, already starting to feel calmer for added effect. She turns on the balcony, Irene safe and snug in their bed a much better view than the rising sun. 

 

“I’m good. I’m really good. I just wanted some advice I think. Mm, no, I think just a push.” There’s some rustling and then Saeron sounds clearer. 

 

“Alright hit me, I love to push people.” Irene rolls onto her back, button nose scrunching before settling again. Seulgi struggles to find a proper comparison for how beautiful this woman is. No amount of sunsets and sunrises or spring day walks could compare. Incomparable. 

 

“I told you about my dad right?” Saeron hums and Seulgi thinks, it really is all non-verbal cues with this one. “Well, as you know. He lives here in Thailand. And Irene is pregnant and I haven’t said anything to him or my mom. And she’s three months along now and just beginning to show the tiniest bit and I just. I don’t know. I’m in Thailand and—“

 

“You want to meet with him. Tell him about your milestones. Let him know he’s going to be a grandfather”, Saeron finishes, tone flat but somehow exactly what Seulgi needed. 

 

“Yeah”, the super ninja sighs. 

 

Saeron clears , oh-’s getting real. “Well when do you leave tomorrow?”

 

“Nine in the morning, but uh, on Expedia, it says there is a flight at 7 at night. It’s only 30 dollars more.”


 

“Did you buy it?”


 

“I’m too scared.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’ve never made my father proud. I’ve always”, Seulgi inhaled deeply, closed her eyes and thought back to every time her father shook his head at her. Like she was beneath him, like a bug. “Upset him.” she finished, opening her eyes to find Irene blinking up at her from their bed. Still leaning against the banister outside, Seugli smiles softly, hoping she’s conveyed that she’s okay. That she’ll always be okay. That as long as Irene is okay, safe and snug, Seulgi will always be okay, always find a way to be okay. For her, for their family. 

 

“Well, your dad obviously doesn't know how exceptional you really are. It sounds to me like you already know what you should do, Seul, sounds like you are ready to right click on that seven o’clock ticket, sounds like you’re ready to show your father you don't need his pride, you have your own family to be proud of you. Also, if it means anything, I’m proud of you. It's not easy to admit you need help, it's not easy to admit somebody knows more, it’s not easy to stare yourself down in the mirror and admit that you can’t lift the world on your own two shoulders.” 

 

It sure doesn't feel great either, Seulgi thinks. Irene rolls out of bed, it's graceful, it might’ve really looked like a fish flopping on sand but to Seulgi it was like watching a choreographed dance. Like watching wine be poured, like still water, like Irene getting out of bed. Saeron is saying something, the words are a mumbled, jumbled mess as Seugli watches bare legs saunter her way. It’s sinful, she decides. Down right awful the way pregnancy looks so y on Irene, thin legs transformed into voluptuous curves, to thick thighs, to delicious hips. Irene moves too fast for seulgi to find other adjectives for Irene’s stomach and chest.  

 

Breathtaking. Hopefully that does it justice. 

 

“Thank you Saeron, I can do it. I appreciate you staying up to give me a push.”

 

“Anytime Seul, have a good last day. And good luck.”

 

Seulgi hums at the feeling of arms wrapping around her, “Hey beautiful, what’re you doing up?” Irene shrugs, melting into Seulgi’s arms. 

 

“I could ask you the same.” resting her cheek against Irene’s head, she rocked them, it doesn't matter what happens tomorrow night, right here, right now. It really is all that matters. “Maybe I sensed something was up, so here I am.”

 

“I’m sorry for waking you.”

 

“You didn’t, my baby needed me.”

 

“You make everything feel alright.” Seulgi confessed, arms wrapping tighter around the truest love she’s ever actually felt. “You love me so well”.

 

Irene smiled, moving her head from Seulgi’s chest she cupped those warm tan cheeks, “remember that Brian McKnight song?”

 

“Which one?”

 

“He has a song, whenever we fight, or I just need the strength to be your strength I play it.”

 

“Sing it.”

 

“I don't sing, you know that.”

 

“Bull!” seulgi laughs, biting Irene’s ear. “Please?”

 

“Fine! Fine! No jokes.”

 

“I won't! You know I love it when you sing to me!” 

 

Rolling her eyes, Irene pressed a kiss to her favorite lips and began, “One, you're like a dream come true. Two, just wanna be with you. Three, girl, it’s plain to see that you're the only one for me and four, repeat step one through three. Five, make you fall in love with me. If ever I believe my work is done, then I'll start back at one.” She finished, voice coasting off into the air and crashing into the waves. 

 

“I don’t know why you don't like to sing, you sound beautiful. McKnight could never!”

 

“That song was number two on billboard, seulgi.”

 

“And if you sang it, it would have been number one.”

 

“Yeah, well. That is the song, and the manual I follow to love you. And everytime I struggle, or I think I can’t and like your big head is just a bit too much. I remind myself to just start back at one.”

 

Goodness, how much more perfect can this woman get? How do any of us compete? With no other thought, no other option or thing left in her list of things to do, Seulgi simply kissed her. She let hands and mouth explore the places she had already traversed and mapped out, let tongue trail the valleys and dips she never ceased to forget but loved to revisit. Whether they made it to the bed mattered little, with the salty air wafting from the sea, the curtains flowing Seulgi decided, the floor would be fine too.

 

To the sound of crashing waves, a rising sun and the distinct squeal of Katy and Joy sneaking to play in the sand Seulgi made love the only way she knew how and to the only woman she ever would. 

 

Wholeheartedly, passionately, and very ing good if she may say so.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Seulgi wiped sweaty hands on her Khaki shorts, eyes staring up at her parents Front door. Her childhood home, it should feel like coming home, like finding her center, not like walking out to the firing squad. But she knocked nonetheless. She heard it immediately, the hustle and bustle of her childhood home, any second now and her mother would open the door and just a couple seconds later her father would show up, still paranoid that a killer might be at the door. That some monster could be behind the door. 

 

Was that true? Was Seulgi a monster now? She’s taken life, is she so far gone to be seen as a demon now? A spawn of satan? Unrecognizable? Beyond saving? Maybe she should turn and leave, she could do something else, could go eat. Visit her old school. 

 

The door opened just as she was turning, true to her memories her mother opened the door and before Seulgi could open , before her mother could even say hello, there her father was. Front and center, practically moving his wife behind him, as if he were going to take a bullet. Hard to talk though, she almost shot someone for getting too close. Tased another for doing exactly that. Her father never did that. “Seulgi! Oh my god!” her father yelled, smile lighting up his aging face.

 

“General”, he frowned, yes, she was back on her . What else was she supposed to do? It’s all she’s ever known. Seeming to realize that he was still on the wrong foot with his daughter, even after all these years the man stood to his full height taking on all the air of his rank and peered down at his daughter. 

 

She seemed different, he noted, she stood up straighter, the young Seulgi always slouched. She didn't move unnecessarily, she stood stock still, no restless movement anymore. She made eye contact, and what did he see there? Not his baby girl, no this Seulgi was someone else. Someone angry, angrier than when she stormed out of his office all those years ago. This Seulgi was broken, this Seulgi was glueing herself back together. What did they do to you? What did this world do to my baby girl? 

 

Seulgi cleared , one that sounded aged he thought. Was she smoking now? Drinking a lot? What was she doing to hide the hauntings in her eyes? “I am here on a scouting vacation with some family friends--”

 

“Oh! Who are you here with? Your cousins?” His wife said, excited. He knew better, Seulgi hasn't spoken to family since she left. 

 

“No, my family friends. Anyway, I came here to inform you that I am having a child with my partner. She is three months pregnant.” Sungmin stared stunned, his baby was having a baby?

 

“Irene?”

 

Seulgi nodded and then seemed to catch herself, cleared and blinked harshly once. “Yes sir, Bae Irene.”

 

“You’ve been together for a long time”.

 

“Yes sir, nearly a decade.”

 

“Is she with you?”

 

“She is at the residence we’ve been staying at for this trip, you see, my friends are getting married. I told them Pattaya is a beautiful place to be married. While I was here I felt it optimal to also let you both know you have a grandchild on the way. You are not obligated to be in their life but--”

 

“Seulgi shut up”, stunned, his daughter blinked.

 

“W-What?”

 

“Shut up. Come here and give me a hug.” she did not move, she widened her eyes before blinking rapidly and then seemed to waver before thinking better of it and not moving. 

 

“I only came to-” he cut her off again and figured if she wasn't going to move, he would. She felt different too, thin in some places built and muscular in others. She felt callosed in his arms, but at least, she was here.

 

Maybe it’s something about hugs, who knows. Maybe it was her father, maybe it was the Pattaya air. But Seulgi found she was crying, was he proud of her? Could he tell how much we fought to be just okay again? “She’s three months” she choked out, “And I’m so scared”.

 

“I know.”

 

“So, so scared,” she sobbed.

 

“I know, I know.” she clutched the back of his black polo in her hands, and only held tighter. 

 

“Everything s-scare-s me. I-I”

 

“I know sweetheart, daddy’s here. I’m here.” and there she stood, protected in the man’s arms she believed she could never make proud. Her mother sobbing behind them both. There she was, on this warm, bustling Pattaya morning, crying in the very man’s arms she never seemed to understand. In the arms of the man she loved in spite, in the arms of the man she now finally understood. In the arms of the man she sympathised with. In the arms of the man she used to cause the very worry that Irene and her future baby caused her. 

 

Maybe this was a turning point for them, maybe they could finally be in each other's arms. Maybe she could learn to be half of the man he was because the whole was just a bit too much she thought. And with that thought she giggled and with that giggle she laughed and with that love she detangled herself from her father, let him wipe the tears off her face and marvelled in the tearless face in front of her and grinned. It was going to be okay. She looked up to her mother, “I’m going to be a grandmother?” she asked, biting her lip in anticipation.

 

“Yeah you are”, Seulgi laughed, catching her mother in her strong arms when she seemed to catapult into her arms.

 

“Oh we need to celebrate! Why didn't you bring Irene? Oh, you should have bought her!”

 

“I’m sorry, she was sleeping. The baby takes a lot out of her”, it doesn't actually, Irene told her that exactly three times before she left. “I felt the trip would take too much out of her, she needed the rest. She was up late with me last night.” this, was a fact.

 

“Well, come in anyway. How long are you here till? Your mother just finished breakfast.” Sungmin said, opening the door for his family. 

 

“I’m here till seven tonight. I um, I can go get Irene if you would really like her to be here.”

 

“No, no. later. Now, come in, let's talk.”

 

Finally inside, Seulgi was assaulted with all the scents of her childhood and with them all the memories. The days of yelling, the fits of rage for freedom. Her teenage antics just to be outside passed sundown. To be able to walk home. To open the window, to open the door first. Anything.  “Come sit”, Sungmin ushered her into the kitchen chair she used to do homework in, the same one her father glared at her over his glasses as a teen. He wasn't as intimidating anymore, she noted. He seemed, softened with the years. She still wouldn't want to fight him, but at least she thought she could put up a good fight this time. 

 

“Now tell me, tell me everything about my new grand baby”, her mother practically sang. 

 

“Well, there isn’t much to say. But here we are at the 16 week mark and the baby is progressing well. They’re healthy, it took us a couple tries for it to take but it kind of feels like this is our miracle baby in a way.”

 

“Oh honey, all babies are miracle babies. You were my miracle baby.” Seulgi’s mother said, kissing her cheek and placing a plate down in front of her. “Would you like anything to drink?”

 

“Mm, coffee? If you have any.” Sungmin watched his daughter, searching for any hints. Anything to clue him in on his own daughter, he knew this new her so little. He gave up when Seulgi met his eyes, he needed to know. And he needed to know now.

 

“How is work?” Seulgi swallowed.

 

“It’s hard. It’s rewarding but when you work with the mud of the earth you’re bound to track some home.” He nodded, surprised she was being so forthcoming. 

 

“And what do you do when you track mud home?”

 

She inhaled deeply, “I used to drink and smoke, but my friends, almost family at this point; they um, they set me up with one of their friends. Saeron is a marine. She has helped and continues to help me a lot. I was making decisions that were harmful to me and my family, if Irene were to ever, uh, to”, she paused, the thought sounding so foreign and disgusting in her head. “If she were to ever leave me, or if I were to ever die, my baby would only have one parents. It would be hard for them and I refuse to let my baby live a harder life than needed, this world is hard enough.” Sungmin nodded, the pieces falling together.

 

“Did something happen?” her mother set her cup down harshly, almost too harshly to truly be called an accident.

 

“Sorry”, she said, voice shaky. “Seulgi is home after so long, I want to hear about my new baby, my old baby and her love. I want to hear about everything, no more shop talk okay? Tell me, has Irene been craving things? How is her morning sickness?” This seemed to light Seulgi’s eyes right up, sungmin figured that if this was what would bring that light back then it was fine. They didn't need to talk about anything but his new grandson or daughter.  

 

Seulgi started, going on and on about how Irene is in fact a little temperamental. How Irene seems to love her one second and wants to kick her out the nearest window the next. The stories went on and on, the smile brighter and brighter. It really is so easy when it comes to Irene.


 

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

Have you ever been in that kind of sleep where you just might sleep through a building collapse? Or a horrible natural disaster? Hurricane Billy flies right on through and you just sleeping beauty your way right through it. Ever had one of those? Usually reserved for the very high and or dead. This morning I was that, I was one snore away from being medically pronounced dead I was so tired, but love is a hell of a thing I tell you. 

 

Wendy yelled and suddenly I was up and running grabbing the first thing I could. Did my mother show up again? Is there an intruder? Did Saeron finally decide she’s had too much and come to kill us? What is happening! Thankfully all New York apartments are small and I was in my living room defending my baby buttercup in seconds just to find a wildebeest in my living room destroying my brand new sofas that my mother worked so hard for us to get! “ that’s not a gift! That’s a demon!”

 

“Look, mistakes were made.”

 

“Are you friggin kidding me? Mistakes? Mistakes? No Junito! A mistake is tripping on a banana, a mistake is putting salt in my coffee instead of sugar, a mistake is not noticing the break. This! This! Living breathing hellhound! Is not a mistake!”

 

Junito stomped his feet like the child he is! Lifted the hellhound and shook it in my face. “But look! It’s so cute!”

 

I stared at the white faced, beady eyed sofa destroyer and oh, well sure. They’re somewhat cute—no! That little destroyed my sofa! “It. Ruined. My. Sofa.”

 

“I’ll buy you a new one! Just look! Look!”

 

“No.”

 

“But look!”

 

“I said no!”

 

“Pero Joy! Mírala!” (But Joy! Look at her!)

 

I turned to my soon to be wife and her cute as a button face, “why does this always happen Joy? You gave him a key too?”

 

“What? No! Only mom.”

 

“So he just what? Ghosted into here?”

 

“Look! Look what you did!” I yelled, slapping Junito over the hellhound.

 

“Ow! He-hey! You’re going to make me drop the dog!”

 

“Drop it! So I can drop you, you head!”

 

“I’m housing! I have a key to all the apartments!” I stopped and turned to Wendy who even with her left eye twitching looked so very cute and precious. 

 

Wendy took a deep breath and pressed a hand to her forehead, ohhh she’s mad. “Junito, please put the dog down. Please tell me you understand that a dog is not a gift and that a dog that small isn’t protecting anyone from anything. Also, why would you just let yourself into my house, second, how did you not notice the dog chewing away at my sofas? Oh lord Joy my throw pillows, ugh I’ll never find the right combination again.” Wendy whined, little feet kicking and making my little Latin heart flutter. 

 

“Yeah! What she said.”

 

“Joy, please. Quiet baby. I’m talking to your cousin. Junitos, who does the dog actually belong to?”

 

Junito swallowed, dog resting in his arms. “I was going out with this chick and her dog had babies. This little fella was one of them, I fell in love! He’s so cute.” Beady devil eyes!  “But when I got to my house I realized I couldn’t keep him.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I live in the hood guys! I’ll look like a !”

 

“You live in Throgs Neck, that's not the ghetto.”

 

“No no no you don’t understand.”

 

“Junito I literally live in the South Bronx, I wake up to domestic violence and go to sleep to gunshots. I’ve never heard birds sing a day I’ve lived here. On my way up a month ago a guy tried to rob me for my shoes. You do not live in the hood.”

 

“But I’m a guy! A guy shouldn’t have this kind of dog! You’re two girls it’s more understandable.”

 

WHOA! The ism is off the charts today! “Junito I think the dog is a girl”, I said, noticing the lack of ‘bulge’. 

 

“No no way, look, def a pee-pee”.

 

Wendy and I inched up to stare down at a bump, definitely not a bulge. That sure looks like a bump. “I don’t know Junito, there’s a noticeable lack of balls” Wendy noted. “Either way, I need to go and this dog cannot stay. It wants my sofas.” 

 

“Look! Let’s make a deal, keep this little fella for one week and if by the end you don’t want him I’ll take him back and figure it out.” I still think the hellhound is a girl. “Please?” I looked to my buttercup who sighed and nodded her head before leaning over and pressing a kiss to my lips.  

 

“I have to go baby, see you during my lunch break?” I nodded, a smile inching its way to my lips. Jesus, I really am the luckiest woman on the planet. Before I could go into the poem I was making up in my head Junito was plastering his dirty chapped lips to my cheeks and slapping me like a buttered ham! 

 

“Yes baby I need to go to, tootles!” He yelled before running his out my front door. I’ll kill him. 

 

——————/////—————/////——————/////—————/////—————/////———————

 

“Stop it! That’s not for eating!” Gah! This dog! I’ve spent the last two and a half hours trying to get the dog to stop crying because when he cries he starts chewing everything! My toothbrush looks like a kabob! it! 

 

Lifting the dog up I held it at a distance from my face, “Mira! (Look!) You need to stop!” The dog stared at me like I was the weird one, like I was the one eating stuffing out of sofas. At least he stopped crying, sighing. I held the dog to my chest and walked to my bedroom l, grabbed one of our small blankets and did the best work I’ve ever done in my entire life. Tying the sheet around me and the dog I made a tiny basket strapped to my chest. It works for human babies. 

 

“Bite me and I’ll use you like a dodgeball.” 

 

Making lunch for Wendy with the dog strapped to my chest was weird, he patted my lips with his paws and my neck over and over again. His paw tickled my nose and I found myself offering him little bits of food. “Can you eat this?” I’d ask before giving him a piece of whatever I was cooking. “Ah!” I groaned. “You stained your paw little buddy.”

 

I still wasn’t over him ruining my sofa, but sure, he wasn’t that bad. 

 

An hour later and I was packing everything into a bag to see Wendy for her lunch, puppy still strapped to my chest. “Hmm, how am I going to pull this off. Will you promise not to eat my car seats? I polish them every Friday.” Demon dog just blinked at me. “I’ll take that as a yes!” 

 

The trip to my car was surprisingly painless. Getting in the car was odd, I put the food in the backseat and did my best to not drop the puppy while bent over. Finally finding my way in the front seat I unstrapped the homemade basket and placed it with pup still in it on the passenger seat just for him to throw a complete fit and make me carry him again. “How do I drive with you on my lap?” 

 

Again, I placed Puppy back on the passenger seat just for him to be back in my lap before I could even start the car. Fine. Fine. We’ll just pray I don’t crash. “If we die, it’s on you mister.” Starting the car I started out on an illegal trek to my one and true love! “Wendy! Here we come!”

 

———————//////——————-//////———————//////——————/////——————/////———

 

“Oh my god, you brought her?” I looked up grinning. 

 

“I had no choice! And are you certain it’s a girl?”

 

“Joy, how are you in the medical field and unable to tell it’s a girl?” I shrugged. 

 

“There’s a bump”. 

 

Wendy shook her head at me and I placed my unknown gendered dog in the backseat to step out and smother my woman in kisses. If I was Picasso I’d write a sonnet about these lips, wait, is he a poet? ! I don’t know. “How’s work so far?” I asked, swaying along with Wendy. 

 

“Some guy called in because his wife drugged him with pills and he’s been hard for two days”, Wendy laughed against my chest, it sounds like a walk in the park on a summer day. 

 

“That sounds painful”, I said against her hair. Goodness! How does she always smell so nice? 

 

“I know right, the whole time I was tryi—baby? What’s that sound?” Pausing our love fest against the car we stopped and listened. 

 

Is that? “Oh the food!” Like my life depending on it I whipped the car door open to find the hellhound helping itself to my home cooked meal. “Damnit!” Grabbing the puppy I placed it on the front seat and grabbed the bags. “Oh amor I was too late” I whined holding up one of the empty plates. 

 

“It’s okay”, Wendy laughed, “we can share baby” she crooned before kissing my chin. “Come there’s that park around the corner, the doggy can run around while we eat.” Dropping fifty cents into the parking meter I grabbed the greedy spawn of Satan and started walking with Wendy. 

 

Finding a nice spot we settled down on the grass as the evil pup decided no they didn’t actually want to run around they’d rather just lay on their back and cloud watch. “This dog is weird.” I noted. 

 

“I’ve never seen a dog just lay on its back like that.”

 

“I hate him.”

 

“Name him that then.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Hatehim. Name him that.” I giggled and opened my mouth to bite the potato off the fork Wendy was offering me. “Although I still think she’s a girl.”

 

“We can’t name a dog hatehim. That’s wrong.”

 

“Then spice it up”, she said over a mouthful. “Make it Korean.” 

 

“How?”

 

“Haetnim, say it with an American accent sounds like hate him, say it correctly and it sounds sweet.”

 

“Does it mean something?”

 

“Our dearest sun.” 

 

“Ah yes. Because the sun is hot and this dog is from the hottest place ever. Hell.”

 

——/////——————/////——————/////——————/////—————/////—————/////————/////————/////——————/////——————/////—————/////—————/////—————/////—

 

Day 2: 

 

As soon as I woke up I noticed something horrible. Wendy was not in bed. Getting up cold and lonely I walked into the bathroom, not finding her there. I walked into the living room where both Wendy and Haetnim were laying on their backs staring up at the rotation ceiling fan. “Amor? Que haces?” (Love? What are you doing?)

 

“Haetnim was whining this morning, so I figured you’d want your sleep with your first day back being today and all. So we came out here and she right away laid on her back. But then she started crying again and only stopped when I laid next to her. So here we are”. 

 

I chuckled and stepped over my little family and walked to the kitchen. “Do you want me to make breakfast?”

 

“No need. Your mother broke in as per usual, breakfast is in the microwave.” 

 

“Oh”, I laughed awkwardly just to open the microwave and see food I’ve never seen before. “What the hell is this!”

 

“She said it’s a kale salad.”

 

“What kind of breakfast? Where’s my meat? My egg!”

 

Wendy leaned up on her elbows, “I told her kale was super healthy for the baby.” She smirked. 

 

“You didn’t?”

 

“I sure did. If your mom is going to break into my sanctuary you're going to suffer too.” But thats so unfair!

 

“Oh you evil woman!” I ran over to grab Wendy and tickle her till death sounded like a mercy when little Haetnim sprang up and started a sad excuse of barking and nipping at my ankles. “Aw! She’s protecting you!” I laughed, lifting up the ankle biter. 

 

“That was cute.” Wendy cooed, standing to kiss Haetnim’s head. “Now go eat your healthy kale salad pumpkin.”  

 

Ohh, evil never looked so y!

 

——————//////—————//////——————/////—————//////—————//////——————/////————/////——————/////——————/////——————/////——————/////——————/////

 

I walked into the station holding my bag with little Haetnim running ahead and then back to me to bark excitedly, like she was just losing her mind at all the new sights and sounds. It was honestly very cute. “Is that a dog I hear?” Tiffany yelled, before her blonde head rounded the corner. Her very much out of uniform regulation, bright pink outfit nearly blinding me. “Oh! She’s so cute! She’s a girl right?”

 

I shrugged, “Wendy said she is, but there’s a bump.”

 

“A bump?”

 

“Yeah, a little one.”

 

“Like a tiny !”

 

“I don’t know. I’ve never owned a dog.”

 

“Did you look it up?”

 

“On Google?”

 

“Duh. Well look, Taeyeon just bought me this phone. Look, you touch the screen and it works. Cool right?” I nodded in awe as Tiffany pulled out her tiny little phone. 

 

“It’s not even a flip phone! That’s so cool.”

 

“I know! You press this button and it lights up the screen. It's a touch screen. It even has the internet. How cool is that.”

 

“Dial up?”

 

“Nope! Press safari and just type in.” 

 

“Holy ! That’s so awesome.”

 

“It’s called an IPhone, has an apple on the back.” While I was looking at the phone and comparing it to my blackberry I heard the telltale sound of Katy’s motorcycle pulling into the station. 

 

“Oh a dog!” Katy yelled, running up to my dog who immediately went into whooping mode and charged back at Katy, “oh my god! It wants to kill me!” Katy shrieked before running around me and Tiffany and sprinting into the main hall where little Haetnim tried her best to catch up. 

 

“That girl I tell you, she worries me. Everyday I think to myself, I’m entrusting other people’s life’s to her hands. If someone dies, I’ll forever have that guilt over my head”, Tiffany said, followed by Katy yelling “IT'S GOT ME!”

 

Two hours into my shift everyone seemed to be in love with Haetnim. “I’m surprised you gave her a Korean name.” Katy said, staring confused at Haetnim who lay on her back watching the ceiling fans. 

 

“It’s a play on words. Wendy came up with it.” 

 

“She’s a little weird”. Katy laughed. 

 

“I know. She does that a lot, lay on her back and just stare. She’s probably thinking about all the sofas she wants to ruin. She tore into mine yesterday morning.” Katy scoffed before resting her head in my shoulder and grabbing my hand. 

 

“Eric asked me to move in.” She mumbled, eyes still focused forward. 

 

I gasped and ruffled her hair, “that’s awesome!” When Katy didn't respond I leaned forward to see her face. “Right?” My best friend shrugged and sighed before sitting up. 

 

“I really, really like him. I just, I don’t know. Is it wrong of me to want him, to practically love him but be scared to move in? That’s so serious. I’ve never had anything serious before.”

 

“Sure but doesn’t it feel good to be serious for once?” 

 

“I’m scared”. Katy mumbled. Oh, my little Katy. 

 

“Why are you scared?”

 

“Because. I. Uh, I’m, y’know. I’m me, I’ll mess it up. And if I move in with him, I’m closing the door on other stuff.” Other stuff? What other stuff? Wait, is she talking about Saeron? If she moves there will be no more meet ups with Saeron, is she holding out hope? Should I ask? 

 

“If you never take a chance, you’ll never know. I think, If you truly don’t want to mess this up, you won’t.” 

 

Two hectic calls later and a near slip and fall in old man pee, Haetnim, Katy and I were pulling up to our favorite taco truck. 

 

“Over here guys!” Summer waved us over. “I already ordered.”

 

“Hey bean stalk.”

 

“Hey fatherer” 

 

“Oh that’s a low blow.” Katy said, eyes narrowed at my sister. 

 

“You called me a beanstalk.”

 

“I was only pointing out something I observed.”

 

“Well so was I.”

 

“Lies! I closed the curtain, you didn’t see !”

 

“Disgusting Katy, Jesus. Hey Summer”, I groaned, hugging my sister and placing Haetnim on the floor.

 

“Oh! Whose this little fella?” Summer crooned, lifting Haetnim. 

 

“That’s Haetnim, Wendy says she’s a girl. But there’s a bump. So we’re unsure.”

 

“How old is she?”

 

“Really young Junito said. But I don’t know exactly.”

 

“Well I can tell you it’s a girl for sure.”

 

“Creep, staring at dog .”

 

“Jesus Katy! Language.” I yelled, staring wide eyed at my best friend. 

 

“Hey! Why are you yelling at me? I said the word, she’s looking at it.” Summer shook her head and smiled at me. 

 

“Both male puppies and female dogs look like they have a tiny because boys balls don’t drop till about 7 weeks. So! They look really similar, but for a bit it would be more like here”, summer informers, finger tapping Haetnim’s belly where the bump was not. “And girls are back here, where little Haetnimmies is. Therefore, Haetnim is a girl.”

 

I thanked Summer before telling her all about Junito’s bull. “So now, we’re two days in, out of seven.”

 

“Do you think you’ll keep her?”

 

“She def will.” Katy laughed, biting into her taco. 

 

“Hey! Who says.”

 

“You love cute things.” I huffed and rubbed little Haetnim’s back. 

 

“I’m undecided.”

 

“So who chose the name Haetnim.”

 

“It’s so cool how you say that.”

 

“Her name. Like it sounds so different when I say it.” Summer laughed before rubbing in between Haetnim’s ears. 

 

“Well you can speak Spanish so I’d say we’re even. Have you spoken to my dad?”

 

“About?”

 

“The baby.”

 

“Honestly, I’m undecided about that too still. But! I’ve decided your aunt deserves to know.”

 

“Y’know. She’s your aunt too, Yah share an aunt”. Katy pointed out, unwrapping her other taco. “Do you want to do it in neutral ground?”

 

“Like where?”

 

“Could do it in my place. One last thing before I possibly move out.” 

 

Summer looked up, giddy in the face. “You’re moving out? Big move. Where to?” 

 

“Ugh! If you must know you nosy piece of on wheels, I might move in with my boyfriend.” 

 

“Y’know, it’s weird how you do that.”

 

“Do what? Insult and compliment me. It’s startling. But on a different note. That’s really exciting. I’m happy for you.”

 

“Thank you beanstock.”

 

“You’re welcome fatherer.”

 

——————————————————————————————————————————————————-

 

Day 3: 

 

Haetnim, I hate to say it. Is settling in. For breakfast we gave her a bowl of cut up spam and dog food and together the three of us ate on the floor before laying down and staring at the fan for 30 minutes before Wendy and I headed off to work. Haetnim strapped my chest as Usual. 

 

Working with Haetnim was also nice and easy, when she wasn’t staring up at the ceiling contemplating life she was playing with Tiffany. We even took her on one our low risk calls where she played with a little boy who’d broken his arm. I was starting to really believe that maybe Haetnim would be a member of this family. 

 

————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

Day 4: 

 

By day four Wendy had begun buying bigger bags of dog food and a dog bed that Haetnim immediately chewed up. Wasn’t up to the princesses liking I guess. Haetnim was once again at work with us. She’s starting to feel like she belongs at home with us. She was especially helpful today, in the end I agreed with Katy to use her house as a neutral zone to talk to my aunt. My mother offered to come but I was too scared it would become an episode of WWE. 

 

I plopped onto bed, Wendy sauntering in soon after lathering her arms in lotion. “Mm, that smells good.”

 

“It’s cucumber. Want some.” I shook my head, I’m too stressed for anything right now. “Are you going to call them now?”

 

“What time is it in Korea?”

 

“Ten in the morning.”

 

I winced, “that’s kind of early right?” Wendy shook her head, grabbed the house phone and motioned for me to sit against the pillows. 

 

“No, they were probably up at 7. It’s a cultural thing, gotta get as much done as you can in a day. Requires getting up early.” Wendy informed before settling herself on my hips. “You ready?”

 

“I—what’s that?” Wrapping my arms around Wendy we both peered over the bed to find Haetnim staring up at us like we were crazy. “You know you’re not allowed up here. Lay in your own bed”, I pointed to the torn up puppy bed against the dresser. “That’s yours”. 

 

Haetnim’s ear twitched and she head butted the bed, “hey! Language young lady!” Wendy reprimanded. Haetnim threw herself down and began whinin. “No! You have your bed!” Haetnim did not quit. I imagine she’s saying things to make Satan blush. 

 

“Should we just bring her up here?” I questioned. 

 

“What? Joy. You came up with the no bed rule.”

 

“I know but. Maybe she’s just trying to be sweet and cuddle us.”

 

“Fine. But don’t complain if she pees on the bed. You broke your rule.” A couple minutes later and the whole family was situated on the bed and the phone was ringing. This is scary! It feels like the phone has been ringing for years, it’s only rung twice. I know that, I’m just nervous. 

 

I really shouldn’t be right? Like, I went my whole life without them, who cares if they don’t want to know about their future niece or nephew? Granted, it wasn’t their fault Seo-Joon hid me. But still, oh god I’m going to have a heart attack. 

 

Still panicking I felt a warm feeling on my shoulder, looking over I found little Haetnim’s head resting on my shoulder. I could have done without her staring at me but it was nice. She’s not so bad. I guess it’s okay for her to sleep on the bed, she’s not that evil. She’s kind of sweet actually. With my pointer finger I rubbed in between Haetnim’s eyes, massaged her forehead and then all of a sudden the phone wasn’t ringing and I noticed Wendy was talking. 

 

She was saying things I didn’t understand, is this how she feels when I speak Spanish? Part mesmerized and part disconnected? It’s like she’s light years away but I’m so proud she could even get that far. It’s weird. I intertwined our hands, just to feel connected when she put the phone against our chest and smiled at me. “Are you ready?”

 

I nodded, ohhh! I’m lying! I’m not ready! “Um. Just, uh. You do it! Tell them everything yourself. We’re a unit, you do half. They’re your family too.” Wendy grinned. 

 

“Are you sure you want me to do it?”

 

“I’m really scared and you make everything better. Please?”

 

“Alright. I got it.” Wha happened next was the longest hour of my life. Every once in a while Wendy would look down and translate. Things like, “they’re really happy and would like to visit again.” 

 

“She’s crying happy tears promise.”

 

“They would like you to visit.”

 

“Can they come to the wedding?”, to which I immediately said of course too. 

 

“Did you tell Seo-Joon?” I shook my head. “Are you planning on it?” I shrugged, still uncertain. 

 

“I feel like punishing him and at the same time like that’s dumb.” Assuming Wendy translated that to them because she responded with my aunt's words. 

 

“She said she doesn’t understand how he could be so selfish, but that being like him to hurt him will only hurt you too. That two wrongs do not make a right and it will only cause more pain in the long run.” I nodded, understanding but still feeling a bit childish. 

 

I know she’s right. And I agree. I’m just salty I guess. Haetnim’s little paws were like lighting how hard she fought to climb onto my chest. I giggled as she my face and smiled up at Wendy. “Tell her she’s right.”

 

The rest of the phone call went on like that mostly. Calm and sweet, bittersweet at times. We told them the address to the venue and offered to buy their tickets to Pattaya if they stayed the week before at our place here in the Bronx. It would be nice, to get truly accustomed to the family I never knew. To learn a bit more about me and my mom and family before getting married. It sounded nice. 

 

Suzy jumped at the idea and eventually we were hanging up the phone. “That wasn’t so bad was it?” Wendy smiled, pinching my nose. 

 

“No it wasn’t horrible. I think if I didn’t have you though, I’d have died of nerves.”

 

“What!” Wendy laughed in mock shock, “even with this little lady here!” Wendy pointed to Haetnim who had situated her head under my chin. 

 

“Well, con ella (with her)” I pointed, “anything is possible”. I laughed. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes later and we were  all three out cold. 

 

—————/////——————/////——————/////———————/////——————/////——————————————————

 

Day 5:

 

 Friday was an easy day for my little clan of three. It was uneventful except for the fact that Katy was still undecided but took Wendy and i out for dinner as a congrats for talking to my family. 

 

After dinner we found ourselves and Haetnim walking into the elevator of my parents apartment to introduce them to our new baby. “Your mother is gonna lose it.” Wendy said, rocking Haetnim back and forth in her arms. 

 

“I know, she’ll end up taking fifty thousand photos.”

 

We knocked and waited, “yo voy!” (I’m coming). We heard my mom yell before she opened the door and immediately ignored me and Wendy and narrowed in on the dog. “Aye Dios! Que linda!” (Oh god! How beautiful!) she exclaimed, snatching Haetnim up and turning back into the apartment. 

 

The disrespect! I shook my head and lead Wendy in, papa was just entering the kitchen when we walked in. “Bendicion papi”, I greeted giving him a hug and a kiss. My mom was still gushing over Haetnim when I caught up to her. 

 

“Ju buy?” I shook my head. 

 

“No, Junito nos lo dio” (no, Junito gave it to us.)

 

“Junito? Por qué?” (Junito, why?)

 

I shrugged, “he’s dumb.” I reasoned, leaning down to give my mother a kiss and a hug. 

 

“He told us to watch her for a week and if at the end we still didn’t want her he would take her but I think we fell in love with her”, Wendy said, sitting on the sofa beside me. 

 

“What’s her name?” Papi asked.

 

“Haetnim”, Wendy answered and my dad looked at her like she was one fall away from going full Retard. “Sunny. Her name is Sunny”, Wendy laughed. And it sounded like honey let me tell Yah!

 

“Are you excited?” 

 

“For what?”

 

“Your wedding mija! (Dear)”

 

“Ahh! Si! Por supuesto papi!” (Ahh! Yes! Of course dad!). 

 

“It's two months away. I’m kind of nervous, but I know it’s going to be amazing. We took care of everything so I’m hoping it stays smooth.” Wendy said, fingers playing with the baby hairs on my neck. 

 

“Did ju eat? I cook something.”

 

“No maya it’s alright. Katy took us out to eat, we wanted to introduce you to the new puppy.”

 

“Ah okay, okay. It’s late. Stay tonight?” I looked to Wendy to see what she wanted to do just for her cell phone to ring. 

 

“Oh, sorry. One second. Hello? What?” Wendy sat up staring wide eyed at me. “You did what? Dad! Oh my god! Just give me 40.” Wendy hung up and turned to me. “You’re not gonna believe this.”

 

I scoffed, “Your parents just got off a plane in New York.”

 

“I guess you could guess it”. I turned a bored face to my mom, as if to say. ‘Do you believe this bull?’  

 

————————————————————————————————————————————————

 

Day 6

 

You know, I thought we were passed this. I thought we were done with this showing up unannounced and sticking around for 30 days. But here we are, the morning of my beautiful weekend with Ron Ron and his overly understanding wife Stephanie. 

 

At least he’s making breakfast. Last night when we finally arrived at the Airport and managed to fit all of Aaron’s gear into my car, he was quick to cuddle with Haetnim who was very happy to slap Aaron and quickly sekaddle to his wife. 

 

By the morning of day seven we had decided that yes, Haetnim would be staying. Anyone willing to slap Ron Ron is cool with me!

 

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Day 8- why am I even counting anymore! 

 

“I knew you’d understand! I knew you’d love her, she fits right in with you guys.” Junito gushed while holding a tissue under his nose after Wendy threw a pot at him when he entered the house unannounced. This is why you knock ladies and gentlemen. I didn’t even give him the key he’s breaking in with. 

 

“Keep your head back . You’re getting blood on your shoes.”

 

“Ah thanks Cuzzo. So, I noticed there’s a whole lot more suitcases here than the last time I was here.” Captain obvious over here said, pointing to the very noticeable, very obvious suitcases lying on my living room floor. 

 

“Oh no? I hadn’t noticed!” I said between my teeth, flicking his already bleeding nose. 

 

“Ow! What the !”

 

“Language! There’s a baby here!” I yelled again, twisting his . 

 

“The baby ain’t even born yet!”

 

“How dare you!” I gasped before lifting poor Haetnim up and shoving her in Junitos face. “She is right here!”

 

“Enough you too. You’re going to wake my parents. How’s your nose?”

 

“Hurting again because this one here punched it!”

 

“I flicked it.”

 

“Same thing.”

 

“It literally isn’t.” 

 

Wendy rolled her eyes and turned the stove off, “do you want eggs too Junito?”

 

“Yes please”, our Intruder said, his voice nasal under the tissue. “Hey Wendy, question.”

 

“Mm?”

 

“When you measure rice, how do you do?” Cracking two eggs into the pan, Wendy turned a lifted brow at us. 

 

“With my finger.” Junito chuckled. 

 

“That’s so funny!”

 

I stared confused at my soon to be wife, “woman, what in the world do you mean with your finger?”

 

“You put the rice in, and enough water up to this knuckle right here”, Wendy said, pointing to the inside of her finger. 

 

“What! That is psychotic! Everyone knows when your spoon stands up straight you’ve put enough water.”

 

“But if your spoon stands straight then you put too much water? That makes no sense.” While Wendy and I debated the right way to measure rice and water Junito laughed like a madman next to me. 

 

“Oye, Pendejo! (Hey !) What’s wrong with you!”

 

“It’s just, it’s so funny! Like the clash.”

 

“What clash?”

 

“I mean this! My co-worker, he’s filipino and he said to ask that question. That he was raised to measure with his finger also and I was like bro! We measured with a spoon and he and I argued for like an hour about this too. So it’s so funny watching you guys argue too.”

 

“Yeah but Wendy is Korean not filipino.”

 

“True, but don’t all cultures bleed together a bit? That same co worker of mine said his mom used to whoop his with a chancleta (sandal/flip flop) just like we used to. And you’re Puerto Rican. It’s never that black and white. It’s just fun seeing the little differences.” In the end we decided that if I liked Wendy’s rice, her way must be right and if she liked mine too then my way must be right and if that's the case, who even cares how you make the rice. “Yo, have you spoken to your donor?”

 

“What? Like for the baby?”

 

“Nah, like the guy who made you, your father.”

 

“Seo-joon?”

 

“Yeah, that guy. It’s weird calling him your father, Tio Cristobal is your father, so this other guy just feels like a donor to me.” I shrugged in response, that makes sense. My donor, nah, that's weird too. “Did you tell him about the baby. Does he even know you’re getting married?”

 

“He knows we’re getting married”, Wendy said, placing Junito’s eggs in front of him. “Joy is still unsure about telling him she’s pregnant. I told her thankfully, she has nine months to figure out what she wants to do.”

 

“Originally, I was going to have Summer tell him as a screw you, but then I thought about doing it at the same time as the rest of that side of the family but in the end I called them like two days ago. I had thought they were still here stateside but they needed to go home I guess. They’ll come a week before the wedding just to spend some time together to better get to know each other and whatnot.”

 

“And how does titi (aunt) feel about that?” I shrugged, if I never tell her then she’ll never know and I’ll never have to be worried about it. That is my plan! “You should talk to her about it.”

 

“Look, Wendy said I’m a big girl now and I can do whatever I want”, I said as Wendy sat down.

 

“I said no such thing”, Wendy scoffed, spooning eggs onto a piece of toast. 

 

“Baby, with some butter and toasted italian bread, that egg would be amazing.”

 

“That's too much cholesterol.”

 

“But it’s delicious, even better with coffee.”

 

“Babe, what's wrong with tea and regular bread?”

 

“It’s not as good.”

 

Wendy sighed and pointed a fork at me, “Twizzlers and dr. pepper is delicious too and I do it once a year.”

 

“That sounds disgusting.”

 

“Hey! Don't Yuck my yum! You put cheese in hot chocolate!”

 

“Because! God made that combo babe, not me. The lord himself did that!”

 

“You’re going to hell.”

 

Junito snorted, egg flying out of his disgusting, intruding mouth. “What makes you think your aunt didn't already tell your donor about you being preggo? Didn't you say she basically assaulted him? Wouldn't she tell him to be spiteful?” would she? That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, she told me I should tell him, why would she do it?

 

“I doubt it. She told Wendy that even if she doesn't understand how he could be such an , two wrongs don’t make a right and it would be wrong for me to hide it from him just to be mean.”

 

“Mmm, two negatives make a positive though.” I gasped and slapped Wendy’s arm in glee.

 

“Baby! It knows math!”

 

------------//////-------------------------///////-------------////////----------------------////////----------------///////--------------/////////-----------------------------//////////----------------------//////////------------------------//////////----------//////

 

“You’re pacing”, Summer said, sipping from her soda. 

 

“What’s that?”

 

“A dr. Pepper.”

 

“You ever put a twizzler in it? Apparently it’s good.” lifting a brow, Summer shook her head.

 

“Uh, I've never thought to try.” I shrugged. After much thought and convincing on Wendy’s part I decided that maybe I should talk to Seo-joon, or the donor as Junito calls him. It still took me another week to decide after my talk with Junito and Wendy, but then Aaron got involved and I just needed to get out of the house, Jesus lord. “You really have no reason to be so scared, if he didn't want a relationship with you he’d have gone back home by now.”

 

“Maybe he just wanted to keep an eye on you.”

 

“It’s been months, I hope he hasn't stayed to keep an eye on me. Thank god he got his own hotel, y’know how uncomfortable it would be trying to have with him down the hall? I’d rather die.” do I ever, I lived with my mom and dad till I was 25! I know exactly what it is to try to have with your parents down the hall, oh~ sends chills down my back.

 

The door chime for the White Castle rang and I looked up to see Seo-joon walk in holding a stuffed bear. Do I hug him? Shake his hand? How do I handle this? Oh god, he’s getting close, hurry up and decide. I looked at Summer nervously, as if we had years of silent conversation under our belts; Summer stood and hugged her dad before he got to me.

 

“Hey dad”, Seo-joon smiled, hugged his daughter as best he could with his stuffed bear and I decided it would be okay to hug him too. That’s okay right? I’m not betraying Papi by hugging him, I just, I wonder you know? Would it feel nice? Is he warm? Does he smell nice? 

 

Without putting too much thought, I rushed forward, nearly knocking both me and Seo-joon over with the force and hugged Seo-joon. My father; for the first time in 26 years. Nearly thirty and this is the first time I’ve ever heard my own father’s heartbeat. He is warm, he does actually smell really good too, not like home, not like papi, but he smells okay. 

 

He smells, right, I guess. 

 

“Hi”, I said, practically out of breath when we finally broke apart.

 

“Hi Joy, um I got you this.” Seo-joon smiled, ears turning pink. He shoved the pink haired bear into my arms, smile lighting up his face.

 

“Thank you”, I said, my face seeming to mimic Seo-joon’s. I guess the bear is cute too, Haetnim is going to rip it to shreds. “I actually called you here for a reason”.

 

“I imagine so”, he said, sliding into the seat. Do we look alike? When we smile do we get the same crinkle? Does he pace when he’s nervous too? Clutch his chest when he laughs? his lips out of habit instead of getting chapstick? Does he have road rage? Can he swim? Does he smoke? I shook my head to clear my thoughts. 

 

“So, I wanted to know if you were free in the future.”

 

“In the future? Like for dinner?”

 

I shook my head, “no, like would you be free for the rest of your life. Like if I called you in a year because I was just really overwhelmed would you be there?” Seo-joon squinted his eyes in confusion, his eyes darting back and forth between me and Summer.

 

“I know, in the past I made mistakes, Joy. But I’m here to stay, I know I could never, and would never try to replace your adoptive father, but I’m here as long as you want me.”

 

“He’s just dad to me. Not adoptive, just dad. You could never replace my dad. But, no matter what, no matter how I may feel, you are my father. And even though I wish I didn't feel this way, I want you in my life. You’ve been in my life for only about six months and now suddenly, I have a cousin, a niece or nephew coming. Aunts and uncles, a sister, brothers. You’ve given me a gift and I thank you for that. I want a relationship, I want to know if you snore, if you talk in your sleep, if you’re scared of spiders, are you a pepsi or a coke person, have you ever put twizzlers in Dr. Pepper, do you measure rice with your finger or with a spoon. But honestly, most importantly”, my voice broke. I didn't think I would get so choked up doing this. What if he leaves again? What if having a grandchild is the last straw and he runs? What if my family is too much family for him?

 

Summer’s hand was warm when it held mine, her thumb soothing while it rubbed my knuckles. I took a deep breath, I can do this. If he leaves then so be it. I’ve gone this long without him, I don't need him. I have my own goddamn dad, I have everything I need. So what? So what if I really, really want him around? So what if I dream about him and papi both walking me down the aisle? So what if I imagine him in the room when I give birth? So What if--so what? 

 

I bit my lip, voice shaky, “most importantly, I need to know if you’ll be there for your grandchild.” it took him a second, a long second actually.

 

“G-grand? Wendy’s pregnant?”

 

I shook my head, “no, I am.”

 

I swear his eyes sparked, I swear god sparked his spine or something because he started shaking so violently I thought we might need to call 911. His hands shot out and grabbed the one still in Summer’s hand. “You’re pregnant?”

 

“Yeah.” Seo-joon turned to Summer and then back to me before his face crumbled and cried these pitiful tears. Is he upset?

 

“Thank you so much”, he cried, forehead practically on the table. “A grandbaby” he whined. For the second time in so many months, he was bent over the table hugging Summer and I from over the table. “Not even god himself could keep me away from that baby, I swear you that”. And then I guess my body gave up, because he really is so warm.



 

/////——//////————/////———//////——————///////———//////—————/////————//////————//////—————//////———————//////—————

 

1 week before the wedding

 

Airports are always so hectic, even if you’re not the one getting on or off the plane, they’re just so argh! Know what I mean? There has never been a time where I didn't feel overwhelmed in an airport. I turned to Wendy, “are you sure we’re at the right place?”

 

“Yes babe, they said they’d be landing at 9. It’s 9, they’ll be walking through that hall anytime now.”

 

I nodded, I feel bad. I’ve asked her that like five times. Am I dressed appropriately? It’s cold out, are sweats okay? I hope they don't mind, where is Irene? Her mother is about to be here, she’s such a bad daughter. “Oh my god! Sorry, Seulgi checked my seatbelt for like 30 minutes thinking it was crushing the baby”, oh! Speak of the devil! 

 

“I mean, the bump is more you know--bumpy”, I said, voice faltering the deeper Irene’s scowl became. “I’m sorry, I love you.” scoffing and very dramatically might I add Irene executing an exceptional hair flip.

 

“Where is Seulgi with my wheelchair?”  

 

“You need a wheelchair? Didn't you run the whole way here?” Wendy laughed.

 

“Shut it Shon, I have cankles. Also, I'm a first time mother, this baby is hard work. I need a wheelchair, also, with Joy getting all the attention I’m guaranteed some when my mother and father see me wheelchair bound. They’ll wonder if their granddaughter and daughter are okay.” I stared, jaw dropped at the woman in front of me, no shame! None! Not an ounce!

 

“Baby”, I said, eyes burrowing in on my future wife. “Get my a stretcher.”


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

ALRIGHT EVERYONE! I had originally wanted this to be the last chapter but felt Joy’s time with family should be its own thing. And obviously the big gay wedding has to be it’s own chapter, it’s only fair so! 

 

The next chapter will be small, like a special chapter just detailing antics with the family. And then, we get our big gay wedding chapter. Thank you for sticking around thus far!