Saranghae

Culture shock

Park Sooyoung was beautiful, even in the ventilator her father found her to be the most beautiful thing in the world. Her little feet kicked and she moved her little hands about, he wanted to hold her so bad. She’s so small, beautiful, just like her mother.

 

The man cried, watching his little girl cry and reach for him. “Be strong for me little one,'' he whispered against the case keeping him from his little girl. His first born. Little Sooyoung’s face turned bright red with her screams and he felt his heart break again. He wouldn't have much time with her, his lips trembled with the gravity of the situation.

 

“Mr. Park. It’s almost time. '' The man looked up at the nurse who would take his daughter from him. The same woman who held his hand when God took his wife from him. 

 

“W-wait. I need more time. She’s so small. She keeps crying. '' The nurse smiled at him, she didn't like this anymore than he did. She couldn't fathom giving up your own child. 

 

The crying father turned back to the red faced baby in the case, he threaded his hands into the plastic arm holds. He wanted to hold her so badly, to tell her that he didn't want to give her away. To tell her that he had never loved someone he didn't know so much, tell her that this would forever haunt him for the rest of his life. Tell her, he couldn't keep her. He would forever be reminded of losing his love, he couldn’t love her properly. He was a struggling business man, without his wife this little girl would have no life. 

 

Sooyoung wrapped her tiny hand around his finger, her cries suddenly stopping. His lip trembled, his chest rattled and he finally collapsed against the case, his tears blurred his vision. His pants soaked through with the tears of a broken man. “Can I hold her, just one more time? Before I give her up?” 

 

The nurse looked around, she shouldn’t let him. With her bad lungs anything could set the baby off. Any more connection between the two would make the separation harder, she really shouldn't risk anymore attachment between the two. But the man looked so pitiful, he just lost his wife. And now he’s losing his baby. The nurse sighed, she closed the door and locked it. “Mr. Park. You must be quick. And you must wear a face guard, you could make her condition worse okay?” 

 

Mr. Park nodded, his heart pounding to hold his baby girl one last time. The nurse, opened the case taking out the little girl after suiting Mr. Park up. She handed the trembling man the baby, “I’ll be outside okay? Five minutes?” He did not look up, his eyes were trained on the eyes staring up at him.

 

When the nurse stepped out he sat down, holding the baby to his chest. Her little fingers grasped for anything. As if she wanted to comfort him, she splayed her hands onto his tear stained cheeks. “Saranghae Sooyoungie”, he whispered to the baby.

 

Despite the nurses orders, he removed the mask and placed a gentle kiss on his daughter’s forehead. He hoped that in this kiss that little Sooyoung understood, understood the love he had for her. And then, he openly wept. Clutching the baby tighter to him, I love you so much he mumbled.

 

When it was time, Mr. Park pinched his thigh watching as the nurse took his daughter to the women that would give his daughter to another man who would raise his little girl. He bit his lip as he ignored the screams of the infant. He nearly collapsed when the elevator door closed on the future he could have had with his little girl.

 

Cristobal was pacing, Maya was dizzy watching him. Cristobal kept checking his clothing, making sure nothing was out of place. Everything needed to be perfect for this, he sighed and Maya decided she needed to end the man’s worries. “Amor, cálmate” (love, calm down).

 

Maya cupped her husband’s cheeks. He smiled, holding her wrists and resting his head in her comforting hands. “Te amo Maya”. (I love you Maya).

 

The young couple jumped when they heard someone say their names, they looked up to a small Korean woman. She was smiling as she walked up to them with a tiny baby wrapped in a pink blanket in her arms. Cristobal’s legs felt like jelly as the woman approached.

 

“Hi, Maya? Cristobal?” Maya nodded, cupping a hand over her trembling lips. “This is Park Sooyoung. She has a hole in her lung, very tiny. But with the right love and care that hole can be filled with love. Her birth father only had one request of you both, that you give her this ring when she is older.” The woman a tiny gold ring tied around Sooyoung wrist with string. 

 

Cristobal nodded, he was hardly listening. He just wanted to hold this little girl, “May I?” he asked, voice breaking. The woman nodded, handing over little Sooyoung. Cristobal looked down at the sleeping baby, the world righted itself. He was not a man of emotion, but this little girl stirred him. He looked to his wife, tears falling. 

 

Sooyoung’s eyes fluttered, meeting the warm eyes of the man holding her. Her top lip trembled, as though she might cry. “No llore bebe, papi esta aquí” (don't cry baby, daddy is here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Wepa she’s so soft, why is she so soft? What kind of magic is this? God must love me, this is like the best thing since sliced bread. “Joy, your mom is right outside. She’s going to think something is going on in here.”

 

“We’re getting married, it’s okay.”

 

“I would prefer your mother wasn't imagining us having inside of the bathroom.”

 

“She probably does it anyway babe. Let me just hug you a bit longer.”

 

“I would love it if we kept hugging sweetie, I really would. But you’re bending me in half and my back hurts. This whole burrowing into my s thing really only works on a bed, not standing.” I stood up, staring at my future wife. She did look like she was in pain. Ugh, I guess I should leave her be for a bit.

 

“Fine, but tonight? You’re mine.”

 

Wendy cupped my cheeks and did that thing with where she smiles and i’m pretty sure the heavens opened up for a moment. “Of course babe. But after we find my father.” 

 

Here we go again. Her stupid dad, of course, even when he’s not around he’s ruining everything. “Wendy, he chose to run away. We should let him continue to run. Run forest run!”

 

“His name is Aaron.”

 

“It was a joke Wendy.” I followed Wendy out to the living room where my mom was directing furniture people around. I would have liked it better if it was me and Wendy all day, but I guess it’s okay that she left me behind in the battlefield. I like the couch. “Um babe”, I called, reaching for Wendy’s arm. 

 

“What’s up.”

 

“Did that just happen?” I pointed to the little hole in the arm rest. Wendy jumped, spinning to me and yanking me once again into the back of the apartment. 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me your mother was a monster?” I gasped, my mother is a saint!

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Your mom, bullied everyone into lowering the prices of all our furniture. She put that hole into the couch! And then! She nearly caused a riot to get a 300 dollar discount!” I tapped my chin, sound about right.

 

“Yeah, so? I thought you knew that’s how latina’s roll. Indians too.”

 

“You do not haggle in actual stores.” I waved wendy off.

 

“Nah, that’s just a bigger challenge.”

 

“Are you kidding me? You think that behavior is okay?”

 

“I’m not saying it’s okay. I’m saying it is what it is. I like it though. La mesita is nice too.”

 

“I can’t believe you.” I grinned, how can someone be so perfect? Look at her, she’s like a tiny ball of pure shining perfection. God i’m so lucky. I can’t keep my hands to myself, it’s like I literally need to feel her. Voy a morir. (I'm going to die). I pulled Wendy to me, tucking her head under my chin. 

 

“Te amo” (I love you).

 

“Saranghae”

 

“What in the world does that mean.”

 

Wendy pressed her lips to my chin and giggled, “don’t worry about it.” I could get lost in this woman’s eyes. I ran my finger down her forehead, over her nose, tapped her pouty lips and memorized all the things I love about her.

 

“Why are you so beautiful?”

 

“I’m not.” I shook my head.

 

“Lies. you’re more beautiful than anyone in the world.”

 

“I really don’t think so.”

 

“That’s okay. It’s not your job to know your beautiful, it’s my job to show you.” I was about to kiss my lovely fiance again when the house phone rang. Wendy whined but stepped back to pick it up, “Hello? Seul? What do you mean? , alright. We’re coming.” I watched Wendy, she looks stressed. I’ll have to beat Seulgi for stressing my baby. Wendy hung up the phone and sighed, she ran her hands through her hair and then turned to me. 

 

“We need to go.”

 

“Go where?”

 

“The precinct,”

 

“What, why?”

 

“Because my father has been arrested for disorderly conduct”. 

 

“Your father got arrested?”

 

“Yep”. I bit my lip. Don't laugh. Don't laugh. Oh man, Joy don't laugh. Oh man, sad thoughts, sad thoughts. “Oh my god. Are you laughing?” I shook my head, biting my lip even harder.

 

“Never”.

 

“Oh my god! You are laughing!” 

 

I hugged Wendy, finally breaking down and laughing. “I’m sorry baby, I can’t help it. What did your father do?” Wendy shrugged, slamming the phone down onto the receiver.

 

“I seriously don't know. Seulgi just called to tell me, she didn't really give me any more details than that.” I bit my lip again, god please don't laugh in front of her.

 

“Well, I guess we should go get him huh?” Wendy sighed again, leave it to her father to ruin a good day.

 

“Yeah, just give me a minute.” Wendy pouted, took a couple steps forward and wrapped her arms around my waist and tucked her head under my chin. “Just a minute,'' she whispered against my chest. 

 

“Of course bella (beautiful), however many minutes you need.” 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dad!” Wendy called, rushing at her father who was sitting handcuffed at a bench. 

 

“Wendy! What are you doing here?”

 

“Seulgi called, what happened?” I walked up, smirking at the elderly man. I hope he chokes on my smugness. Aaron glared at me as I wrapped my hand, snuggly, delicately, and not innocently around his daughters hips. 

 

“Yeah, Ron-ron. What happened?”

 

“Wendy what is she doing here?”

 

Wendy raised a brow at her dad and pointed at him, “Are you serious? We’re getting married dad, usually wherever I go, she tends to go to. What did you do?” Aaron groaned and turned his head away from us.

 

“I was trying to get a taco, when some girl and her rainbow haired girlfriend cut me in line! So,  I tried explaining that they skipped me. And they got mad, so I raised my voice because these children just don't learn. And I guess someone called the cops and all the cops saw was me yelling at kids not what those kids did to me!”

 

 I glared at this liar,  "Aaron, people don't get arrested for yelling. What else did you do?" Aaron simply kept ignoring me. 

 

“Daddy, what did you do?” Aaron still kept on ignoring. 

 

I was about to tell him, that's hes an immature, stupid, highlighter lookalike, poor excuse for a father when a very angry young woman came rushing forward to us and slapped a nice one right on over Aaron face. “Whoa!” I yelled, wrapping my arms around the tall woman and pulling her back. “Hey! I don't like the guy either, but what are you doing?” I set the woman down and finally got a good look at her face. “Summer?”

 

“Oh, you’re the EMT”. 

 

“Wait, you speak english?”

 

“Well, duh. How else am I going to go to school here? I was just really drunk that day, I go into full immigrant mode when I'm drunk”. I just nodded, confused. She's a lot more spicy when she's sober. “Anyway, please let me go. So I can hit that one more time without the officers seeing.” Summer jumped up, nearly knocking me down. 

 

“Hey, hey stop. I can’t let you hit my father in law again. At least not in front of my fiance.” Wendy chose this time to walk on over, all confused and cute and .

 

“Hey, who are you?”

 

Summer turned to Wendy, “Who are you?”

 

“The daughter of the man you just slapped.” Summer sighed, and brushed a hand through her hair. 

 

“That’s . Must being the daughter of a ual menace.” Oh damn, burn.

 

“My father is not a ual menace. He is a saint.” I think I just threw up in my mouth. A saint? And i’m straight.

 

“Your father grabbed my ”.

 

“He did what!” Wendy turned to her father, “You grabbed her !” 

 

“He grabbed your ?” I asked, “Yes! He grabbed my !” I turned to Aaron. “You grabbed her ?”

 

Aaron’s mouth opened and closed and then opened and closed again. “I was trying to prove a point!”

 

“By grabbing my !”

 

“By grabbing her !” I yelled.

 

“Her dad! really? “ 

 

“What point could you possibly prove with someone ?”

 

Aaron huffed, corrected his position on the bench and began what I am sure is going to be the most ignorant thing I've ever heard. “I was telling her, just because she has and I don't. Does not mean she should be given some kind of lee-way. She was being just as mean as me, and she shoved me, so I shoved her back. It just happens that when I shoved her, my hands landed on her feminine body parts rather than a flat chest like mine.” 

 

“Dad. You got mad, because the cops were only yelling at you? And not her. So, you started yelling that just because she has s, she should also get yelled at? Rather than maybe, I don't know. Shutting up? And then you shoved her because she shoved you for being a ?” Oh . Wendy just called her father a , is today turning into a perfect day or what.

 

“Wendy! Language!” 

 

“No dad! At no point did you think that maybe being a grown man, and shutting his mouth was the way to fix this? That maybe a taco line wasn't the time to spew your ist bull! You think she gets lee-way for having ! That isn't why you’re here. You’re here for shoving someone, dad. Whether you shoved someone with or no , shoving someone is wrong! And that fact that you grabbed her is really only the icing on this storm cake!” I was going to in with something stupid, but really Wendy covered it all and I instead tried to find someone that could help us with getting the ual menace out of here. 

 

I pulled Summer along with me, deciding to be the bigger person and apologizing on Aaron’s behalf. “Look, I can't stand the guy. But he’s not really like this. He says stupid whenever he’s emotional. He once called me a demon spawn. And then he once said he made Wendy therefore he could take her away from me. I do not condone his behavior, I am sorry. But he's not some ist , he just doesn't know when to shut up.”

 

Summer ran her hand through her hair again and smiled and I was struck with the sudden need to rub her shoulders. Is she always stressed? “Hey, um. Did your girlfriend give you my number?”

 

Summer smiled, “Yeah.”

 

“Oh, I wasn't sure. You never called. I thought maybe she forgot or something.”

 

“I was going to call you actually. I really was. I just, I don't know. I was nervous. My dad said you spoke to him on the phone. You really calmed him he said, thank you for that. He was pretty pissed to know that I was getting drunk rather than practising piano or something.” I chuckled, slowing down for Summer to stand beside me. 

 

“That’s pretty stereotypical of asian parents I hear.”

 

“Wouldn't you know? Or are asian parents stateside more lax?”

 

“Oh , I wouldn't know actually. I only look asian, i’m from Puerto Rico. I was adopted.”

 

“Adopted?”

 

I nodded, jeez. Why am I so nervous? I stuffed my hands into my sweats, don't look at her. “I have strict parents too. But, um. Not like that.”

 

“Where are your parents from?” I shrugged. 

 

“Not sure, I just know they’re from South Korea.”

 

“You don't want to find out?”

 

“When I was a little girl sure. But now, I don't think about it. I have two loving parents, a beautiful fiance, awesome cousins and aunts and uncles. What more do I need? It’s not who made you, it’s who raised you. As far as i’m concerned, sazón runs in my veins and I bleed adobo and Marc Anthony is my hero.”

 

“Sazón?”

 

“It’s a spice, comes in a little orange packet.”

 

“What does it do?”

 

Hmm, thats a good question. “Uh, I don't know. It just makes everything tasty.”

 

“Like Kimchi?”

 

“What's that?”

 

“It’s veggies. But like, spicy.”

 

“They grow spicy vegetables in Korea?”

 

Summer laughed, huh, she kinda sounds like me. “No, it’s fermented.”

 

“What does that mean?”

 

Summer shrugged, “I don't know. That’s just what my dad told me.” I want to hug her. Is that weird? 

 

“Hey, um. After we get the menace out of here. Would you like to, I don't know. Come eat with us?” Summer looked from me, to where Wendy was still lecturing her father at the other side of the station.

 

“Um”.

 

“You don't have to, you know. Like, if you’d rather not. I totally get-”

 

“Sure”.

 

I smiled, “really?”

 

Summer nodded, “yeah, I just need to find Sunny. She’s somewhere around here. I sent her to get me a soda like 30 minutes ago. I swear, she’s so small I lose her everywhere.”

 

I grinned, “Hey, Summer. Do you have a Korean name?” 

 

“Yeah, it’s Sooyoung. Do you have one? Or do you not know.”

 

I shrugged, “I’m not sure. My parents say I had a name when I came over, but they changed it. Maybe it’s in the records or something you know?”

 

“Like your original birth certificate”.

 

“Yeah, maybe.”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

After getting the menace out we sent him home in a taxi, I silently begged Wendy if we could keep hanging out with Summer and her girlfriend Sunny. It took some doing, but by 8 that night we were walking around trying to find somewhere to eat. “Joy, have you ever had Korean food?” Sunny asked, swinging her and Summer’s hands.

 

“Mm, no. Does cup of noodles count?” Wendy scoffed beside me. “What?” I asked, looking at the grinning Wendy.

 

“Cup of noodles is an americanized asian dish.”

 

“There is an awesome Korean barbeque place nearby. Wanna try it?” with no reason to say no, I looked to Wendy who smiled and nodded.  The place was smokey, there were grills on tables and it looked like everyone was cooking their own food.

 

“Oh that's messed up. We’re paying them, for us to cook our own food?” 

 

“I never thought about it that way. It’s their meat, we’re just cooking it like we like it.”

 

We sat around laughing and joking, Summer telling stories about her home, Sunny telling stories about her greatest hits in highschool with Summer, even Wendy chimed in with stories. It was like we had known these two women our whole lives or something. “Wendy, do you ever visit Korea?” 

 

Wendy sipped from her glass and shrugged, “Not recently. When I was a kid we went three times a year. I do want to go again, before the wedding. I want to show Joy around, introduce her to that side of my family.”

 

“Hey babe, do you have a Korean name?” Wendy nodded. “What is it?”

 

“Seungwan”.

 

“That’s a mouthful, what about you Sunny?”

 

“It’s Sunkyu. You don't have one Joy?”

 

“She’s adopted babe”, Summer piped in.

 

“It’s Sooyoung”, Wendy said, leaning back in her seat.

 

“Huh?” I turned to Wendy.

 

“When we were moving your stuff, your mom was showing me all your baby photos. And in the album is all your adoption papers. Your Korean name is Sooyoung, and your family name is Park. it said you were from Jeju.”

 

I furrowed a brow at the information, like Wendy is talking about someone else. I have another name? A whole different identity. Sooyoung Park? Who is that? What would she be doing if Joy Garcia didn't exist. “My dad is from Jeju,'' Summer said, smiling at me.

 

“Babe, Summer’s name is Sooyoung too.”

 

“Really?” 

 

Summer nodded, “Yeah, there’s like a whole story to it actually. It's part of the reason I came here, I needed to get away. My dad used to be married to another lady, and they had a kid. But the woman died giving birth, and then the little girl died of a lung complication. And my dad, when he had me with my mom named me after her. It's weird, it made me feel like I was living in the shadow of a dead girl. It’s not like she even grew up you know? So it's like I've been forced to live in this abyss of what ifs. I think in his head he thought she would cure cancer or something, but what if she grew up to be a serial killer or something you know? Like my two brothers don’t have this struggle, just me. I kinda wish that baby Minho died so my brother Siwon could struggle or something. I don't know, that’s ed up. Sorry.” 

 

I tapped Summer’s hand that was laying on the table, I hope she knows it’s okay. I think it would be weird for me to comfort her. That's weird right? “I get it”, Wendy said, hugging my arm. “You’ve been forced to live a life that isn’t real. It’s not yours. You have like a phantom older sister, it’s hard to follow in the footsteps of someone that never even touched ground.” 

 

Where has this woman been my whole life, I kissed the top of Wendy’s head. She probably doesn't even know how beautiful she is. How perfect and wholesome she is. “I’ll be your older sister”, I joked. 

 

“You’re an EMT, marrying a dispatcher. Those are heavy shoes to fill. I’m a college student studying to be a teacher”, Summer countered.

 

“Don’t try to fill anyone’s shoes, that’s how you get fungus and . Buy your own shoes, and fill them with your own feet Summer. Being a teacher isn't easy, and you’re learning to do it in a language that isn't even your own. I think you’re awesome.”

 

“This is the cutest I’ve ever seen, I bet in another universe you guys would be related,'' Sunny squealed, her cheeks tinted from all the drinks she’s had.

 

It would be kind of cool if I was related to Summer, it's a comforting thought. Makes my chest feel all warm and tingly. That weird, that’s weird right?