Ripped: Lingering Memories

☠I'll Rip Your Story to Bits.☠ Reviews && Fanfic Help [Closed]
Author:  Milky-chan
Test Review by: zining
Owner rating: good to go!
Status: Not yet picked-up and credited.

 

Your Story is Called What?!: ☠☠☠

The title was interesting, and has a nice ring to it. It sounds okay, but it also immediately hinted at a clique story line. I mean, Lingering Memories? It’s probably a story about being unable to forget, right? By looking at the title, if I could come out with such an idea of the plot, it means it has a lack of suspense. It’s transparent, in a manner of speaking, and so I marked you down for the pull-factor. Other than that, the title’s fine.

So this Thing Right Here...That's a Description and a Foreword...? You've Got to be Kidding Me!: ☠☠☠

Your description was okay. I give you that. It wasn’t really dramatic, but it was good enough.
The only thing I have to lament about is that from reading the description, I already sort of KNOW your plot line. From your choice of words, you willingly divulge important information, eg. IU’s long unrequited love; unable to forget Wooyoung…etc.
Your reader could easily guess the possible endings, from such information—chances are is that they will get it right.
In simple words, a little too predictable. That’s why I knocked off some points.

I'm Ready To Stab Your Characters Now: ☠☠☠

On Suji: Weak character that was important for your ending. I don’t know much about her, but from what I gather, she was a total goddess, gorgeous and pretty. The ONLY hints I have about her character was that she was completely disinterested in meeting IU and “whiny tones, gestures that screams jealousy”. And all those hints point to only one type of person: a biatch. Is Suji really such a shallow, y character with no personality at all? You could have explored her more, but since she is not the main character I’m not going to go down hard on you.
On Wooyoung: He is an important character, but I am unable to find out what the real main deal about him is. He seems to be a happy-go-lucky guy who dumps his so-called best friend for his girlfriend. He is, in a way, a character that lacked the details I wanted. What about how HE felt? How did HE feel when he lost contact with his best friend? How did HE feel when his girlfriend acted all jealous in front of Jieun?
I personally feel that by adding his feelings into the mix, you would probably manage to pull in more emotions from the reader.
An example of where you could have elaborated more was during the confession. To give you credit, during her confession, you did say that Wooyoung felt awkward. But I think that if you had elaborated more about his feelings for Jieun, maybe like, a speech, in rejection (eg. I don’t love you that way, Jieun. Jieun ah, I think I love her… When I’m with her I am so effortlessly happy… As my best friend, you would understand right? Besides, it would be awkward for us to be lovers instead of best friends, don’t you think?) , instead of watering it down to one basic line, it would have been better for the readers to feel and imagine what you are trying to write out.
On IU: She was the character you have explained the most on. She was the propagandist in the story, and the details you added in were okay. But still, you could have elaborated more on her feelings throughout the story, like instead of just losing her appetite, what else did she feel? (eg. I felt bitter. Disappointment gnawed at me as an empty hole gaped in my heart. Seeing his light flush made my heart throb in pain as I blinked back tears. I was no longer hungry, as I heard Wooyoung’s whispered words to her. The red, spicy sauce of the rice-cakes mirrored the pain I was enduring, it was red hot, a vibrant colour that was so beautiful, yet painful.) How else could she have reacted other than cry?
In other words, while your characterization was okay, it was disappointing in the lack of details. You barely scraped the top of details in your story and I hope you would elaborate more on the characters.

Are You Sure You Know What You're Doing?: ☠☠☠☠

I won’t sugar coat it.
Your story was incredibly predictable. I could tell what was going to happen next, like the flashbacks and everything. Some parts didn’t particularly link well, for example how she was crying and then she suddenly went to get her guitar. And some were rather unrealistic, like how she forgets the date only to meet Wooyoung and Suji a year after her confession day. Hmmm.
The story would have probably been better despite the clique story line if more details and feelings were thrown into the chapters. Your story needs to be elaborated! >< More feelings from both main characters, more detailed explanation, more imagery etc. and your story would have been better than what it is now! Even colours could have been used!
I appreciated how you linked a few song verses to the plot.
Don’t look down on adjectives and vocabulary! :)

Better Stay In School and Listen to your English Professor: ☠☠

What can I say? You got yours proof-read, but I did find a few errors that rather irked me. Once in a while, your grammar slips a bit (a piece of paper, not a paper), spelling errors become apparent (stutter, not shutter) and your punctuations get missing. I find the choice of words sometimes a little weird, but other than that it’s fine. (I am the only person that will be, rather than was)
Your story is readable but I hope you’d check back for errors in your story. Errors, no matter how small, are irking to the readers who read your stories. They do change the story’s context, the flow and how you wanted the story to be portrayed, and finally the impression others’ have.

I Can See Why You Like Writing Better Than Arts: ☠☠

I liked the background, I liked the poster. It fits with the theme ‘longing’ and ‘unrequited love’ very well, with the good choice of colour frames and pictures; it really suits your story.
I also liked how you continued to use the birds in the background as paragraph separators; it was a good idea instead of using plain lines to separate the paragraphs. The pictures on each chapter were also okay, seeing as the main characters are IU and Wooyoung.
The only grudge I have with the poster… no don’t get me wrong, it’s good, it’s really good, but the quotes…
“Can I really forget him? Can I really forget our lingering memories?”
I think it sounds really fragile and wistful, with a bonus of it linking immediately to your story title; but the down side is that it gives away your storyline. Again.

*YAAAWNNNN* Meter: ☠☠☠☠

I admit it, I am a WooU shipper. Not hardcore, but I occasionally search up on their stories. Your story didn’t bore me, but it didn’t exactly keep me hooked. Reason? Not enough details, not enough twists. It lacked enough details, suspense and emotions.
You have to pack them in and give your readers a whale of your time reading your story, and not make them wonder what they should be feeling about the chapter you have just posted. You’re the author; you control their feelings by adding all those details, twists and emotions.

VERDICT: ☠☠☠ /☠☠☠☠☠



Read the rubrics if you don't get the review. If you want a soft copy of this, just tell us and we'll personally PM it to you. 

Any questions, just ask. Thanks for requesting!