Chapter 1

Missing Piece

Settling into my seat, I took off my sunglasses and rested my eyes. I'm on my way to Hong Kong for our first concert there. After practicing countless hours to take my mind off everything as much as possible. Keeping myself busy with new projects, and preparing for our next comeback as Chorong unnie was able to convince everyone to renew their contract. Exhausted not only physically but mentally, all I want to do is not have to think of anything, nothing at all just being numb is what I wanted. Trying to enter a peaceful deep sleep finally, but was disturbed by what I saw

Him

Why is he here? 

No

He's not here

This is a dream; it has to be.

"Naeun ah, I don't want this anymore. It's too tiring. I'm tired of everything." I could barely look at him, not taken by surprised but shocked for sure. In the past few months, something became weird between us. I gave up so many jobs to try to hide away from the public, but as my family was struggling financially more and more, it's only right that I needed to work more. Taking on more projects, modelling, dramas, and a few commercials to give me more opportunities. I'm known for my looks, but Dispatch gave up on following me for years. But they've been keeping a closer eye on me again. The more projects I did, the more distant he became. 

"Why?" was all I could mutter. I can't look at him; he knows me too well. He knows that I can break down.

"You knew that this wasn't what I wanted"

"This wasn't something that you wanted? What do you mean by that, for the past three years was nothing? You came onto me; you said it'd work!" 

"Look, you wanted to love for eternity, but I'm ju-"

Standing up from my seat, not daring to look his way, "Stop, I don't want to hear it" Turning my back towards him and headed out the door. Walking away was never something I ever thought could be so hard to do, but I did it. I couldn't go back to my apartment, no use if we live in the same building. My feet took me somewhere I never expected. 

"Naeun ah..."

"Jonghyun oppa."


Jolting up

"Naeun, are you okay? you're sweating"

"Yeah, just a bad dream. Sorry for bothering you."

"That's okay; we're about to land very soon anyway."

As we were leaving the airport, I saw someone hold up a sign with his face on it. I felt myself almost stopping in my spot, but I can't let anyone know that he still affects me — especially him.

As I was about to head downstairs to go explore manager oppa came in "Naeun ah, it's been a few days now, and they need to know what you want to do."

"I'm not sure, should I do it? I have enough eyes on me already, if I go through with it the spotlight is not going to leave anytime soon."

"Listen, I know being the next it girl can be scary. But, as your last comeback was a big struggle for the group and the company it could give you a better result for this time around. Let me know by tomorrow, okay?"

With that manager oppa leaving my room, I was left alone with my thoughts. Not being able to handle the feeling of being suffocated in a small area, I left the room to let me wrap my head around the idea. As I was about to leave the lobby, someone called my name. "Oh? Are you guys all hungry or something? The whole gang is here" "Yeah; we were just about to call you if you wanted to join." Said Eunji. "I'm starving; let's go."

After a lot of exploring we finally choose a nice cozy restaurant. "Naeun ah, I heard that you hadn't given them an answer yet. I know that you've been going through a lot lately and that you want to prove him and everyone that you don't need to depend on anyone but your self. I think becoming the next it girl can help you create a new avenue in this field. Show what you've got" Chorong said while I was in the middle on stuffing some more food into my mouth.

"You're so good with expressing your self now, with after so many years since our debut. I think it's time for you to shine to the greatest potential unnie." Namjoo chimed in.

I looked up to see all the members eyes on me. "Thank you guys, I just really want to give this a good thought before I give them my answer," I said while giving them a weak smile.

"Alright Naeun, we just want to let you know what we'll always be here for you whatever you want to do." Bomi unnie said while giving me her cheeky smile.


"Have you heard? Someone from Shinee is dating!

"No way! Who?"

"Not sure, but my friend from Dispatch caught him a date not long ago. I heard the girl is from a rookie group."

"That's crazy, imagine if it's Taemin? Do you think he would ever date that girl from Apink. She's such a sl-"

Gasping for air, I shot up from my bed and looked at my surrounding. It was just a dream, no. It was a memory, not too long after I last saw him I was hearing the same rumour going around nonstop. It made me so angry, was this the reason for our end. What made me not good enough. 

No.

I'm good enough

I need to be enough

It doesn't matter if it was true or not. We're already in the past, after many hardships we've been through I guess it didn't matter.

Next thing I know, I find myself running down the hall and knocking on the door. With manager oppa barely have opened the door, looking tired as ever

"Let's do it. I need to prove something."


Not proofread