Chapter Three

Cloaked Heart

Soobin's body was drained of energy. They had spent at least four hours recording their heart version dance practice for Crown. Huening Kai had made a lot of mistakes causing the staff to have to re-record everything. The other members had complained in annoyance whilst the younger sheepishly apologized over and over again.

The tension was still evident between the members. They had barely talked to Soobin the whole ride there. It did hurt Soobin that they were ignoring him but he knew that he was doing the right thing and they would understand if they knew especially Beomgyu, who was clearly aware of what was going on but was only making things worse.

"I'm so tired," Taehyun panted, collapsing on the ground with an ice cold water bottle tightly gripped in his hand.

"Me too," Beomgyu yawned, bringing his hand up to cover his mouth.

Yeonjun was too busy scrolling through his phone to even notice what was going on around the practice room. Soobin found himself staring the older not expecting Yeonjun to lift his head up and meet his eyes.

Soobin quickly averted his gaze and looked at everything else except at the brown-haired boy. 

"I'm gonna ask manager hyung if we could go out to eat after this," Beomgyu said, rubbing his stomach. "I'm starving."

Huening Kai jumped up from his lying position on the wooden floor. "I wanna come! Taehyun hyung, you're coming with us too."

Taehyun stared up at the duo, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion until realization hits him—instantly aware of what they were planning to do.

The three sneakily left the practice room leaving Yeonjun and Soobin alone.

Occupied with the laptop, Soobin hadn't noticed that it was only him and Yeonjun left in the room. His eyes immediately widening. This was not happening. Irritated, Soobin tried leaving but Yeonjun stood up and quickly grabbed onto his arm. "Can we talk?"

Soobin nonchalantly shrugged, trying to keep his cool. "Like I said, there's nothing to talk about."

"Don't bull me Soobin," Yeonjun gritted, frowning.

"Just stop hyung. You're making things worse," Soobin tiredly sighed, pulling his arm away.

Yeonjun was hurt at the way the younger was acting towards him. He didn't understand where this sudden change of attitude came from. "You're the one who's acting like I don't exist. What the did I do for you to hate me so much?"

Soobin had never heard the older swear, he was shocked and taken aback at the same time. Not knowing how to respond, Soobin kept quiet and cast his gaze to the floor.

"Soobin, talk to me," Yeonjun pleaded, desperate to understand why the younger was behaving this way.

"Just drop it hyung," Soobin seethed, sidestepping Yeonjun before walking over to the door—not expecting to see Beomgyu, Taehyun and Huening Kai pressed up against the door.

"Hey hyung," Huening Kai grimaced, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck whilst Taehyun pretended that he didn't just eavesdrop into their conversation. Beomgyu just folded his arms, giving Soobin a look of disapproval.

"What?" Soobin asked, raising an eyebrow at Beomgyu.

"You really are an idiot," Beomgyu slowly shook his head, "a stupid, stupid idiot."

"I'm not idiot. I know what I'm doing," Soobin shot back, offended by Beomgyu's comment.

Beomgyu raised an eyebrow at him, unconvinced. "Do you really?"

Huening Kai and Taehyun shared a perplexed look as they stared back and forth between Soobin and Beomgyu.

"It doesn't matter. I'm asking manager hyung if we can go back to the dorms," Soobin said, changing the subject swiftly. Not wanting to argue with the younger any longer.

"Ah, you see about that," Taehyun drawled, pulling a face, "manager hyung said he's taking us somewhere to eat."

"All of us," Beomgyu added.

Soobin deeply inhaled, knowing that they just wanted him and Yeonjun to talk but he wasn't going to let this get in the way of eating free food.

"Okay," Soobin casually said, unbothered.

Beomgyu blinked at him. "Okay?"

"If you guys want me and Yeonjun to talk it out then we will," Soobin said, pursing his lips into a tight line.

"I'll go get him then," Huening Kai beamed, rushing back into the practice room to grab Yeonjun.

Despite Soobin saying that to the other members, he wasn't actually going to talk to the older. He was just saying that so they could leave him alone. It was working. Everyone dropped the subject as they filed into the car.

"Wanna listen to a new song I've been listening to?" Beomgyu offered to Taehyun, taking out his earphones.

Taehyun nodded before bringing his mouth to Beomgyu's ear. "Anything to escape the tension in this car."

Beomgyu just chuckled before plugging in his earphones and logging into his Spotify.

"Soobin hyung, wanna play a game?" Huening Kai excitedly suggested, expectantly staring at the older who was too busy gazing out the window.

"No, I'm good," Soobin declined.

He wasn't in the mood to do anything but sulk that he was forced to go somewhere with Yeonjun. The only reason why he even agreed to come was because he didn't wanna turn down free food especially if their manager was paying.

Free food or staying at the dorm doing nothing?

Not much of an option.

"I'll play with you," Yeonjun said, smiling at their maknae.

Soobin could feel his heart soften at the way Yeonjun spoke to Huening Kai. He wished things didn't have to be like this. Constantly trying to act cold towards Yeonjun. It hurt him as much as it hurt the older. It pained him because all he wanted to do was cuddle with Yeonjun and watch their favorite stupid shows together whilst stuffing their faces with popcorn but he knew that this was the only way he could make the way he felt about Yeonjun to go away and then everything would go back to normal.