Free

HERSHE
It has been an hour now since Joy left and the room is still lifeless. Seulgi is on the bed, not moving from the spot where Joy left her, still contemplating what just happened. She knew it was real this time because she felt like Joy had taken a part of her body when she stepped out the door.
 
Suddenly her phone rang. Seulgi grabbed the phone only to see Amber's name flashing on the screen.
 
But before she can answer, she saw a familiar key on the table, the duplicate key to her apartment. She picked it up and answered the call.
 
"Yo, Amber."
 
"Dude. How are you?"
 
"Uh... not good? How about you?"
 
"I'm fine. I'm driving back to Seoul. Is Joy still there?"
 
Seulgi clenched her hand with the key in it. "Nope. She left an hour ago."
 
"Oh. So, what happened?"
 
Seulgi sighed. "It's over. She returned the key to me."
 
"Oh. Is she going away again?"
 
"It could be something like that. She said we should stay away from each other for now."
 
"Hmm. I was afraid that she'd do that. But I think you guys did the right thing."
 
"You do?" Seulgi felt at ease hearing that.
 
"Yeah. It might not be that obvious but I can see how both of you are having a hard time around each other. At least after this, she can focus on Sungjae without thinking of your unofficial past."
 
"I'm sorry, dude. I'm sorry that our friendship was badly affected because of what happened between Joy and me."
 
"Pssh. Don't worry," said Amber. "I believe time can heal both of you. It might not be today or tomorrow, but it will happen soon. You two will get back together as friends and our trio will be completed in no time, okay?"
 
"I hope so."
 
"It will happen soon. Believe me. Let her focus on Sungjae and you should focus on Irene too."
 
Seulgi was jolted back to her senses after hearing that name. Irene's sweet smile suddenly crossed her mind. Seulgi may not have realized it right away but Irene is the person who made her feel whole again after Joy.
 
"And speaking of that, I'm calling to check on Irene too. Is she there yet?" asked Amber.
 
Seulgi's eyes automatically searched the room, as if double-checking if she's alone or not. "She's not here. In fact, I haven't seen her since I woke up this morning."
 
"Hmmm... I don't know if my intuition is right. But I have a feeling Irene likes you."
 
Seulgi doesn't know how to take it.
 
"It's a gut feeling, but yeah, I think she's jealous of Joy the way Joy is jealous of her," continued Amber.
 
"But Joy told me Irene left early this morning to give us time to talk."
 
"It may seem like that but I think it's not what she really wants to happen. I don't mean to keep your hopes up, but I think she's afraid of losing you to Joy."
 
Seulgi rose from the bed. "What should I do when she gets back here?"
 
"Observe her first. I don't think confessing is the right thing yet."
 
"Weren't you the one who's telling me yesterday to confess?"
 
"Well, it's a different case this time. You just came from a breakup, right? You wouldn't want Irene to feel that she's a rebound."
 
"Oh." Seulgi scratched her head. "Maybe you're right. I'll take it easy for now."
 
"All right. Have a safe trip back here later. I'll see you soon."
 
"You too. See you. Thanks."
 
Seulgi sighed and sat back down on the bed. After all the things that had happened, all she wanted to do is to see Irene.
 
---
 
Irene stepped out of the souvenir shop, decided to finally go back to their room. She has been prolonging the idea, afraid to know about how the talk went.
 
But yeah, it's close to noon and she needs to pack her things. Whatever the result is, she needs to face it with full courage.
 
---
 
Irene stood in front of the door. She raised her hand but hesitated, thinking if Joy could still be inside.
 
She put her ear up against the door to listen for any sound. To her disappointment, she heard nothing but the running air-conditioner.
 
"Irene?" Seulgi appeared from the end of the hallway, paper bags in her hands. "Where have you been? I was starting to get worried."
 
Irene unconsciously took a step backward. "I was... I was just strolling around. I bought souvenirs for my mom."
 
Seulgi eyed the paper bags. "Oh. I bought souvenirs too for Dad and Wendy."
 
Irene raised an eyebrow. She doesn't understand Wendy's role in Seulgi's life. But seeing Seulgi's smile made everything felt right again.
 
"I didn't see you at the souvenir shop."
 
"I didn't see you either." Seulgi turned to the door, opening it with her keycard. She went straight to lie on the bed. "Ooh. I'm gonna miss this bed so much!"
 
Irene left her paper bags on the floor, wondering why Seulgi seemed happy. She walked to her closet and started taking out her clothes.
 
"How are you feeling? Don't you feel sick or something? You were so drunk last night," she asked.
 
"I had a terrible headache when I woke up this morning."
 
"Do you want me to get you an aspirin?"
 
"Nah. I'm all cool now." Seulgi stretched her arms out and rolled on the bed. "By the way, how did I end up here last night?"
 
Irene stopped for a second, trying to recollect her thoughts. "Amber's pretty smashed up too last night. Sungjae and I helped her book a room. Joy escorted you back here."
 
"Why didn't Joy help Sungjae with Amber instead?"
 
"I don't really know." Irene went to her bag to put some clothes. "Sungjae asked her, but she said she's dizzy. It made me wonder how she could accompany you back here if she was dizzy."
 
Seulgi chuckled. "Were we doing something when you came?"
 
"Aside from her ruffling your hair while you were sleeping? I guess none. I don't know if I should pretend to be jealous or not." Irene went back to her closet to get more clothes. "But when I saw her panicked, I realized I should just act cool."
 
"What did you say to her?"
 
"I thanked her for looking after you and then she thanked me for dragging you here," said Irene. "It turned out she's also planning to talk to you over this trip so she asked for my permission to allow you to talk to her."
 
"And you said yes?"
 
"I don't have the right to say no, Seulgi. I'm only pretending to be your girlfriend."
 
"I know. But I'm curious..." Seulgi sat up on the bed. "If ever... let's just say that... I mean... if you were my real girlfriend, could you have said no to her?"
 
Sometimes Irene wonders how Seulgi does it: asking questions like that without irritating her. If other men had asked her the same thing, it's a turnoff. But it's different with Seulgi. Irene is not sure if it's Seulgi's soft voice that does the trick. Whatever it is, she doesn't have the courage to resist it.
 
"I don't know, Seulgi."
 
"I see." Seulgi nodded. She rose from the bed and walked to the couch where her bag is.
 
"But I think I'd be afraid," continued Irene, looking at Seulgi. "I'd still allow you to talk to her, but it would really bother me."
 
Seulgi turned to Irene. "Why would you do that? Won't that make you feel uncomfortable?"
 
"I'd still allow you because I would want you to weigh your feelings. But for sure I'd be dead worried."
 
"Why?"
 
"She came first, didn't she?" Irene smiled. "You've been together long. How am I gonna compete with that?"
 
"Were you afraid I might get back with Joy after our talk?"
 
"Yes."
 
Seulgi smiled. "Really?"
 
"IF only I was your real girlfriend, Seulgi. IF." Irene rolled her eyes.
 
Seulgi chuckled. "But in case you're my real girlfriend, I'm telling you now that you shouldn't worry too much."
 
"And why is that?"
 
"Joy could have taken that space before for years, but it's free now," said Seulgi, opening her palms up. "I'm free now, Irene, totally freed from her."
 
Irene stared at Seulgi, feeling like a huge weight has been taken off her chest. "You... you guys called it off?"
 
Seulgi bit her lower lip and nodded.
 
Irene walked up to Seulgi. "How are you feeling now? Are you okay?"
 
"I think I am," said Seulgi, still smiling. "I've never been better. In fact, I felt like I've finished a journey I've been traveling alone."
 
Irene couldn't help it this time. She reached her arms around Seulgi's neck and gave the latter a squeeze. "Eeeee! I'm so happy for you! You finally made it, Seulgi!"
 
Seulgi staggered a little to maintain her balance, involuntarily putting an arm around Irene's waist. "Yeah. I made it!"
 
Irene pulled away. "Are you sure you're okay?"
 
"Yes, honey. I'm fine. Thanks for your help."
 
"You're welcome, honey." Irene winked.
 
"How about I'll treat you to a snack in Seoul before I drive you home?" Seulgi raised her hand, asking for a fist-bump.
 
"Snacks sound great." Irene bumped fists with Seulgi.
 
---
 
Irene came out of the room first and walked straight to the elevator area.
 
Seulgi closed the door behind her and saw the door across the hallway. She took a deep breath as she walked away, silently thanking Joy for everything she has done.
 
---
 
"Hey, cutie."
 
They were walking along the parking area when they saw the tattooed woman.
 
Seulgi waved at her. "Hey there!"
 
Irene grabbed Seulgi's arm, hoping the woman won't tell Seulgi about their discussion earlier.
 
"I'm good. I just came from my lunch." The woman noticed their bags. "I see you're leaving now, eh?"
 
"Yeah. It's gonna be another long drive back," said Seulgi.
 
"Are you two okay now?"
 
"Okay?" Seulgi looked at Irene.
 
"We're okay," said Irene. "We're always okay. Right, honey?"
 
"Yeah." Seulgi nodded, turning back to the tattooed woman.
 
"I'm just making sure you're not having second thoughts about your girlfriend, cutie," said the woman, making Irene swallow something in .
 
"Second thoughts?" Seulgi glanced at Irene. "I wouldn't have second thoughts on this baby here."
 
Irene almost melted. She rested her chin on Seulgi's shoulder.
 
"That's good to hear." The woman pointed at the tattoo on their hands. "I'm not sure if you've heard of this, but that design you have on your hands, it was once used as a matrimonial tattoo by the first tribal inhabitants of this area."
 
Seulgi and Irene looked at each other.
 
"Butterfly totem is a symbol of a powerful transformation," added the woman. "It was used by couples as a tattoo to symbolize their faith for each other no matter what changes they'd encounter. The butterfly spirit will guide your relationship to conquer any obstacles."
 
Seulgi chuckled. "That's nice. My honey really knows which to pick, huh?"
 
Irene blushed. "I never knew that story behind the design. I just randomly picked it from the album."
 
"It's a good choice, just so you know," the woman said.
 
"What a coincidence." Irene smiled awkwardly.
 
"There are no accidents, you know." The woman smirked. "Anyway, I hope you both come back here soon. Take care."
 
Both of them were left standing as they followed the woman with their eyes, Irene still holding onto Seulgi's arm.
 
Irene was about to let go but Seulgi pulled her back.
 
"Hey. Don't let go yet. You're still my girlfriend until this trip is over, right?"
 
Seeing Seulgi's crooked smile made Irene blush a bit. "Girlfriend your face."
 
"Honey, you should cooperate," said Seulgi, raising and interlocking their hands together, completing the butterfly design. "You wouldn't want to upset the spirits, do you?"
 
Irene rolled her eyes. "Fine."
 
They walked hand in hand towards Seulgi's car.
 
---
 
"Drive safe." Irene bent down to look at the car window. Seulgi just dropped her off in front of her house after their snack date. "Text me when you get home, okay?"
 
"Sure. I will, boss." Seulgi beamed.
 
"Cool. I'll see you tomorrow. Bye."
 
---
 
"How was your trip?"
 
Irene jumped when she heard her mom's voice. The woman is sitting on the couch, reading magazines.
 
"It was great." Irene gave her mom a quick hug and a peck on the cheek.
 
"I can tell. You look so cheerful."
 
"Do I?"
 
"Yeah. I think you should do that once in a while. You're overly attached to your work," said the older woman who's busy scanning the magazine she's holding. "How come you never invite your friend inside?"
 
"Umm, she's always in a hurry and she's pretty tired now," said Irene, unconsciously bringing a hand to scratch her neck.
 
"Well, you should invite her next time. I always see that red Suzuki Swift dropping you off here but I've never seen your friend once."
 
"I'll invite her next time."
 
Irene was glad that her mom said nothing after that. She excused herself and hurried back to her room. She arranged her stuff and went to the bathroom for a quick warm shower. When she checked her phone, there was no message from Seulgi yet.
 
She lied on the bed as she recalled the events in the resort, still couldn't believe that she pretended to be someone's girlfriend over the weekend.
 
Her phone beeped. She smiled when saw the name she's waiting for.
 
"I'm home, boss :)"
 
Irene giggled. She typed in her reply but stopped, realizing she may give an impression she was waiting for Seulgi's message by responding immediately.
 
She deleted her composed message and spent the next five minutes flipping her phone, hoping to receive another message.
 
But then her phone rang.
 
Irene's body jerked due to shock. She pressed the answer button out of instinct.
 
"He-llo?" she put the phone next to her ear.
 
"Hey..."
 
"W-why did you call?"
 
"I'm checking if you received my message. I texted you like fifteen minutes ago."
 
"Ah. Yeah. Umm... I just read it. I was busy downstairs and just got here in my room."
 
"Oh. I see. Well, I guess I should stop bothering you since you seem busy."
 
Irene panicked when she thought Seulgi's ending the call. "Um. No. Wait, Seulgi..."
 
"Yes?"
 
"Umm. How are you? Are you tired?"
 
"I'm dead tired. I haven't moved from the couch since I got in here. I might doze off here." Seulgi chuckled.
 
Irene imagined Seulgi lying on the sofa. "I guess driving has finally taken its toll on you, huh?"
 
"It's all right. I enjoyed the entire trip. How about you?"
 
"I enjoyed it a lot. It was the most memorable trip I've gone so far."
 
"Really?"
 
"Yeah. I don't go out much, you know. Thanks for taking me there."
 
"I'm so honored to be part of that most memorable trip," said Seulgi. "I should be the one thanking you for what you did. You convinced me to go there, remember?"
 
"It is because the second time we met, Joy gave me a jealous vibe. And I was right. Everything went well right?"
 
"Yeah. By the way, Since the trip is over, would that make you my fake ex-girlfriend?" asked Seulgi.
 
Irene laughed. "You're crazy, Seulgi!"
 
"Hey, pretending wasn't my idea. If I'm crazy, I believe I'm less crazy than you are."
 
"But we handled that one perfectly, right?"
 
"Surprisingly, yes. It's mostly because of you. Your acting is convincing. I thought it'll be awkward for us to continue pretending."
 
"Well, you made it less awkward for me."
 
"Seriously. I can't imagine doing it with Krystal, even with Wendy. It'll be hella awkward," said Seulgi. "Could the spirits be guiding us, honey?"
 
Irene surely missed hearing that endearment from Seulgi. "Yah! You better go to sleep now. I bet you're tired."
 
"Yeah. I really am. I'll see you tomorrow then."
 
"Okay. I had fun today. Thanks."
 
"Me too. Goodnight, baby."
 
Irene giggled. "Goodnight, honey."