a shot in the dark

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kwon Eunbi was silent for a few moments, and Chaeyeon thought that was her cue to continue cleaning up. But as Chaeyeon started to move, the other woman had raised her hand and a look of determination spread across her face. Eunbi took a breath once.. twice.. and then spoke, “I have a proposal for you”

 

“What kind of proposal?” Chaeyeon questioned, intrigued by the odd and out of the blue statement.

 

Eunbi had been hesitant. Her eyes darted around the classroom, taking in the interiors of the classroom before finally stopping to look at one particular table situated in front of the teacher’s desk. On top of the small table was the name-card of one ‘Kwon Wonyoung’ decorated with a jarring pink colour that Eunbi noticed her daughter is favouring these days. 

 

“Ms. Kwon?” The teacher called out. Seemingly having been lost in thought, Eunbi shook her head to focus back on the teacher before her. “What kind of proposal?” Chaeyeon asked again.

 

“Can we—“ Eunbi sighs deeply, “do you want to get coffee?”

 

Chaeyeon had been rendered speechless by the question. For a second, Chaeyeon had thought she imagined Eunbi’s question. And for a second, Chaeyeon almost blushed. She would never admit it out loud, but she might have a slight crush on the singer. But then again, who doesn’t? She was the Kwon Eunbi. Her face can be seen on every billboard, and her songs had played on every radio station. Chaeyeon had tried multiple times to rid herself of her crush, but it wasn’t as if Chaeyeon could desensitise herself of Eunbi. No, they don’t even see each other often enough to do that.

 

See, while parent-teacher meetings are conducted once a month, Eunbi very rarely shows up. Chaeyeon didn’t judge, obviously Eunbi is a very successful singer and her job must demand a lot of time from her. So on rare occurrences that Eunbi does show up, Chaeyeon... well Chaeyeon has never really gotten used to Eunbi’s presence.

 

One particular parent-teacher meeting had left Chaeyeon very sure that she made a complete out of herself in Eunbi’s eyes. What’s worse: It was the first meeting Eunbi had ever attended.

 

It was raining that day. The singer walked into the classroom a few minutes late, sopping wet from head to toe. How she managed to still look beautiful, Chaeyeon didn’t know.

 

When Chaeyeon had finally managed to stop gaping at her, she asked who Eunbi was there for, “My daughter, Kwon Wonyoung,” Eunbi had answered, taking a seat on the chair nearest to the door.

 

The meeting went by and finished, and many of the parents had stayed for tea. Eunbi had been standing alone at the corner of the classroom, avoiding the watchful eyes of many gossiping mothers. Eunbi never did liked to mingle with the other parents, she barely tolerates them half of the time. Not when all they do is ask for autographs and selcas to brag to their other gossiping friends that they met Kwon Eunbi.

 

Eunbi had hoped to drink the warm tea in silence in attempts to sooth her now freezing body. Her plan didn’t really work, as the homeroom teacher came over her way.

 

The brunette had approached Eunbi, fully intending to get to know Wonyoung’s mother. Chaeyeon have always had a soft spot for Wonyoung, the child is bright, kind, and very responsible for someone that young. She was curious of the person who had raised such a lovely child. In fact, Chaeyeon had made many attempts to approach Wonyoung’s other parent. But she would run off after every parent-teacher meeting right as Chaeyeon was finishing up talking.

 

“Mrs. Kwon, I’m Lee Chaeyeon, Wonyoung’s homeroom teacher,” she raised her hand for Eunbi to shake.

 

“Its just Ms. Kwon, actually” Eunbi corrected the teacher. Though, she stopped there, as Eunbi didn’t want to divulge any more details to a stranger.

 

For a moment it seemed as if Chaeyeon had understood, the teacher had given her an understanding smile, “Right, of course. Challenging the systems of marriage, I fully respect that”

 

Eunbi wanted to facepalm. How else would she explain this except, “We’re separated,” she said bluntly.

 

After that it just went downhill. Maybe if Eunbi wasn’t so blunt, or Chaeyeon hadn’t assumed, the conversation wouldn’t have become awkward. But evidently they had, and neither women bothered to make any more small talk after that. Eunbi had left right after she finished her cup of tea.

 

The teacher found out later that day that the woman she thought to be Wonyoung’s other mother had been Eunbi’s sister, Chaewon. The next time they saw each other, neither mentioned the exchange. They saw each other during Report Card Day as Eunbi had been the one to come instead of Chaewon. To both of their lucks, the two had a silent agreement to not bring up the conversation they had shared.

 

Chaeyeon had given Eunbi Wonyoung's report card, complimented her daughter, and Eunbi left after shaking hands with the teacher.

 

Chaeyeon was hoping today’s meeting would be less awkward. For one, they were having coffee instead of tea. Chaeyeon suggested a cafe near the preschool that she frequents. Usually before classes would start in the morning, Chaeyeon would sit on the table next to the window and watch whatever was going on outside. This time though, they sat at the secluded part of the cafe near the back. Eunbi had said she didn’t want to be recognised. Though, Chaeyeon suspects its more to do with what Eunbi was going to ask her.

 

Chaeyeon decided to break the silence that has been going on for a few minutes, “Thanks,” she motioned to the ice latte in front of her, “you know… for the coffee”

 

“Oh, Its no problem” Eunbi curtly replied.

 

More silence. 

 

At that point the silence had been unbearable, and Chaeyeon couldn’t take it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter