love (epilogue pt. 2)

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15 years later

 

“Yujin, hurry up!! We can’t be late to the concert.”

 

The girl in question was hurriedly trying to put her contact lenses on. “You can’t rush me with this! What if I poke my eyes and die, what are you gonna do then, Kwon Wonyoung?”

 

Wonyoung huffs in frustration. “I’m gonna wait in the car. You better be done in 10 minutes.” And with that, Wonyoung takes her dorm key along with the car key and heads down to the parking lot.

 

She easily spotted the car her mother had gifted her on her 18th birthday, 2 years ago. (Eunbi became mom starting from her 13th birthday when Wonyoung thought she was getting too old to call Eunbi ‘mommy’. Her mother had protested, saying it’s nonsense, and that Wonyoung will always be Eunbi’s little girl. Though, in the end, Eunbi concedes anyway. But she digressed). Wonyoung opens the door and sits on the driver’s seat. While waiting for Yujin, her fingers tap rapidly against the steering wheel. If they ended up getting to the concert late because they got stuck in traffic, there’s hell to pay for Yujin.

 

One would think it’s just a concert, it’s not that serious. Plus, it’s free anyway. But no. It’s not just any concert. It’s Kwon Eunbi’s last concert. Ever.

 

The 44 year old singer had announced her retirement from the entertainment industry a month ago and was holding a concert that was to be her last one. And it wasn’t like her hiatus before either. Her hiatus only lasted for 4 years starting from when Wonyoung was 7 years old. Then, Eunbi had made her comeback again and haven’t stopped since. She at least made more time for Wonyoung the second time around though. Most of the time, Wonyoung didn’t even notice her mother’s absence. Though, it was probably because Wonyoung also had her mama, and also her unofficial third mom, Chaeyeon.

 

To be honest, Wonyoung could say she’s been living her best life for the past 15 years. After the whole custody debacle, (one that Wonyoung only understood when she was older) her mothers finally lost their animosity towards each other. They have always been civil, but after Sakura had withdrawn her lawsuit, her mothers started becoming actual friends again. Wonyoung even got to visit Japan as often as she wanted to. 

 

Her mother also got married to Chaeyeon, and Wonyoung got herself another person who loves and takes care of her. Suffice to say, Wonyoung was never short of feeling loved. 

 

Speaking of love, her girlfriend, Yujin finally shows up. Her best friend-turned-girlfriend for about a year now ran towards the car as she was putting on her bomber jacket. Yujin slides into the passenger's seat and eyes her girlfriend with a glare. “I didn’t even get to put makeup on.” She sulks.

 

Wonyoung rolls her eyes. “That’s what you get for falling asleep while studying,” she scolds her girlfriend as she starts the car and pulls out of the parking lot. But seeing Yujin pout like a puppy, Wonyoung took pity on her girlfriend. “My make up kit is behind your seat. Go nuts.”

 

“Thanks babe!” Yujin places a quick kiss on Wonyoung’s cheek before slithering and bending her body in awkward ways to reach for the makeup kit.

 

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

 

When they finally reached the concert venue after barely dodging rush hour traffic, they immediately ran towards the back entrance. Thankfully, the security team had been notified about their arrival and was tasked to take them to the green room so that they wouldn’t get lost in the very large stadium.

 

As they followed behind the security guard, a thought popped into Yujin’s head. She sighs, overcome by a feeling of sadness. “I can’t believe it's your mom’s last concert.”

 

“You’ll still see her singing in class,” Wonyoung points out. Eunbi is now working at a university teaching vocal performance. And apparently has become Yujin’s professor. It was funny how Yujin has to get used to seeing Eunbi the way Wonyoung saw Chaeyeon back in kindergarten. It was a bit of an awkward dynamic, but they try to make it work.

 

“I know. But still, her retiring is a disservice to the world!” Yujin keeps whining.

 

Wonyoung shrugs. “She’s been in the spotlight long enough, don’t you think?”

 

As they rounded the corner, they came face-to-face with one Lee Chaeyeon who had a smirk on her face. “Wonnie, are you calling your mother old?” 

 

“I didn’t say that,” Wonyoung quickly denies.

 

“You were thinking it, though.”

 

“Oh, like you weren’t either, Chaeyeon.” Wonyoung fires back.

 

Instead of answering, Chaeyeon diverted her attention to the other woman. “Yujin, my favorite ex-student!” Wonyoung had scoffed at the way Chaeyeon addressed her girlfriend.

 

Yujin, who was at the side watching the two women bantering, just laughed at the interaction. “Hi, Chaeyeon, how’re you?”

 

“I’m great.” Chaeyeon gave Yujin a side hug. “Are you treating Wonnie well?”

 

“You know it.” Yujin says cheekily before giving a quick peck to Wonyoung’s cheek.

 

With an approving nod, Chaeyeon picks up her pace and asks the two kids to follow. “Come on, your mom said she wants to see you before she goes on stage.” Chaeyeon also thanked the security guard and told him that she knew her way around. She really did. Half her time was for the past week had been spent in the concert hall, accompanying Eunbi for every rehearsal.

 

The green room was small. One would think someone as famous as Eunbi would have gotten

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter