i'll wash, you dry

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

Okay, so firstly I would like to apologise for the delay in updates. I had a whole one-shot idea in my head that I needed to write, so I decided to focus on that. I already posted it btw, it's also kwonchaeng, so if you guys are interested pls give it a read. It's called "If I Can't Have You".

I would also like to apologise for not replying to your comments, but I have read them and I will take into account the suggestions that you've given me. Thank you for continuing to read this sotry, and for giving me such nice feedback, I really appreciate it.

Anyway,,,, Onto the story!

 

Chaeyeon has been friends with Hyewon for a long time now. From what Chaeyeon can remember, they hit it off from the first day she started working in IZONE preschool. Hyewon had welcomed Chaeyeon into the teaching staff with open arms (and a takoyaki party), and they clicked in every way possible; personality, humour, and work drive. Which is why, Chaeyeon knows the principal will not be so lenient with her asking for her job back. It’s true, the principal can be easy-going, comedic, and sometimes––a lot of the times––act like an alien, but Hyewon still takes her job very seriously.

 

But Chaeyeon has a plan. Before she heads to the principal’s office, she makes a sharp turn to the cafeteria. This early in the day, no students or teachers would be around. So Chaeyeon would be able to execute her plan without getting side glances and unwanted attention.

 

Her plan was simple: The principal is an absolute foodie, everyone knows this. Her cravings may change overtime, but Chaeyeon remembers how obsessed Hyewon always has been with takoyaki. No, Chaeyeon isn’t going to bribe her friend. Of course not. That’s illegal. It wasn’t a bribe, but rather an incentive.

 

Chaeyeon bought 50 pieces of takoyaki.

 

So maybe it is a bribe. In her defence, if there was a way to sway Hyewon’s heart, Chaeyeon might as well take the chance. Her wallet might not appreciate it, but a sacrifice is a sacrifice. The things I do for a paycheque, Chaeyeon sighs to herself.

 

Stood in front of the door with a sign that says ‘Principal Kang’, Chaeyeon prepares herself to channel the perfect puppy-dog face and pleading look. Either way, it wasn’t any less pathetic.

 

She knocks twice and opens the door. “Good morning, Hye!”

 

The principal who was sat in front of her desk looks up to see a head popping into the room. “Chaeyeon,” she states obviously, then uses her hand to motion for the teacher to come in. “I didn’t expect to see you in school today... Or any day, for that matter.”

 

The teacher comes in and shuts the door behind her. Chaeyeon lets out very loud fake laughs, “Haha. you’re so funny, Hye! Have I ever told you how funny you are?” she sits sits across the desk from Hyewon and keeps the bag of takoyaki on her lap.

 

Hyewon silently stared at her friend.

 

Clearly, the principal wasn’t going to play along so Chaeyeon thought it better to drop the act. “So, I came to ask for my job back.” she says in a sing-song like tone. Hoping to keep the tone of the conversation light and breezy.

 

For a moment Hyewon paused to process what her friend just said. Hyewon’s eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. “Chae––”

 

“Ah! Before you say anything, look what I brought…Takoyaki!” Chaeyeon slid the bag across the table to offer her not-a-bribe to the principal.

 

Hyewon eyed the bag for a few seconds. If someone was paying close attention to Hyewon, which Chaeyeon was, the principal’s pupils slightly dilated at the sight. For a second, it almost seemed like Hyewon was swayed. But instead, the principal only gave Chaeyeon a stern gaze, “You know I can’t accept bribes, right?”

 

The teacher releases an exasperated sigh, “Hye––” but her friend stopped her from speaking by putting up a hand. With her other hand, Hyewon reached into a drawer to grab what looked like documents that Chaeyeon thinks she’s seen before and threw them on the desk, “Here.”

 

Chaeyeon took them hesitantly and skimmed through it. Well it definitely explained why the documents looked familiar. “My resignation papers…?” The teacher asks, mostly confused with the actions of her friends. Hyewon always liked to be cryptic and mysterious, rather than just getting to the point.

 

“I was going to submit your resignation to Human Resources today. But, I heard that you have a Korean fiancee.” Hyewon says, “So, me being a good friend who knows how much you love this job… Well, I thought I’d check in with you before I submit it.” She then opens the box of takoyaki and pops one in .

 

“How?” The teacher asks. Chaeyeon was glad, of course—over the moon even. She didn’t ask to be ungrateful. She was just confused because throughout the last few days, Chaeyeon hadn’t even talked to anyone. She was too busy sorting out her life. How Hyewon found out about her engagement was beyond her.

 

The principal rolls her eyes when she saw Chaeyeon looking all confused. “Please, you actually think Yena didn’t text me the moment Kwon Eunbi stepped into their house?”

 

Of course, how could I forget? Chaeyeon scolds herself for being so gullible. Yena wouldn’t have been able to keep it a secret. Not when she can brag about meeting an idol––and have that idol marry her best friend.  “I should’ve known that duck couldn’t keep shut.”

 

“Yeah, you should have…” Hyewon suddenly stood up and goes around the desk to sit closer to Chaeyeon. “But––How the hell, Chae? I thought you said it was the most awkward meeting you’ve ever had with a kid’s parent.” All of a sudden Hyewon slaps Chaeyeon’s shoulder, hard enough to leave a mark.

 

“OWW!” Chaeyeon cries out. She was fully aware that she was in a preschool and she couldn’t carelessly scream in expletive––because she likely would have, if only there weren’t any small children roaming the halls.

 

Hyewon didn’t seem to mind seeing Chaeyeon in pain, though. “And now you’re getting married to her, the Kwon Eunbi herself?”

 

If people will keep asking how she came to be engaged with Eunbi, Chaeyeon might go crazy. Was it that hard to believe that two adults could just meet and fall in love? For a second, Chaeyeon thought about just telling the truth. It was easier than keeping up appearances, and she was getting tired of lying. But no, Chaeyeon and Eunbi made a promise to keep this a secret from everyone, so she will keep her end of the bargain.

 

Chaeyeon puts up an annoyingly smug face and shrugs, “What can I say? She fell for my charms the moment we met. I mean really, who could resist me?”

 

Hyewon releases a groan, “Get that big head out of my office right now, before I fire your .” The principal reached for another takoyaki.

 

Chaeyeon chuckles, pleased with herself that she managed to steer the conversation away from that subject. She clears , before asking, “So am I reinstated?”

 

“Well not as of yet. But by next week, you can come back and teach your old classes.”

 

––––––––––––––––––

 

Chaeyeon spent the rest of the day hanging around the staff lounge, revising schedules and trying to come up with something fun to teach the kids while following the boring syllabus. She thought it was a productive way to kill time, now that she’s technically no longer jobless.

 

When it was just barely 1 p.m., Chaeyeon was already waiting for Wonyoung outside of the school as per the small child’s request. She was just walking out of the building, about to wait for her fiancee's daughter to show up, when something––someone out of the corner of her eye caught the teacher’s attention. There, leaning back against a car, was Eunbi’s ex-wife, Sakura. Chaeyeon stood in place on the steps of the school, still trying to figure out if she was just seeing things or if the woman was actually there. She didn’t need to think about it much when Sakura strutted her way to Chaeyeon. She stopped at the same step where Chaeyeon was standing.

 

Chaeyeon was just about to ask what the other woma was doing here, but Sakura beat her to the punch. “You know I dont trust you.” Sakura states.

 

“What?”

 

Sakura walked a step up on the staircase. “You’re supposed to be my chil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter