there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note:

Was listening to by ella mai and that's how the chapter title came about. 100% reccommend you guys to listen to the song as you read.

 

There should be a rule book somewhere out there about marrying the mother of your student. And if there isn’t, then Chaeyeon is tempted to write one. Because the dos and don’ts of being both a parental figure and a teacher at the same time is getting much too confusing for Chaeyeon.

 

At this point, she was just confidently guessing.

 

A part of her is conflicted about helping Wonyoung with her homework, when by tomorrow she’s her homeroom teacher again. It’s not like Chaeyeon was giving out the answers. She wouldn’t want to stop Wonyoung from learning by herself. But watching her attempt to count 21 red balloons in the midst of other colored balloons can be tiring. Chaeyeon gave the child about half an hour to figure it out before she steps in to help.

 

By the time Wonyoung finishes her homework, it was getting nearer to bedtime and Eunbi still hasn’t come home from a gig out of town. The last time they texted was an hour ago when Eunbi said she was just heading home and would likely miss dinner. The teacher wonders if she would have to go through Wonyoung’s bedtime routine alone. However, Eunbi already said specifically that she won’t miss reading to Wonyoung tonight, and Chaeyeon believes her. So after giving Wonyoung a quick shower, Chaeyeon opts they wait for Eunbi by watching a movie in the living room. 

 

“So what do you feel like watching, Wonyo?”

 

“Can we watch Frozen?”

 

“Sure, I’ll set it up.”

 

They only got to the part of Elsa’s Let it Go sequence when the headlights of a car briefly flashed inside through the living room window. Before Chaeyeon could even sit up, the little girl beside her started running towards the front door to greet her mother. A chuckle escapes her, amused by the spectacle of energy that Wonyoung always has.

 

Chaeyeon quickly follows Wonyoung to the foyer where the child was waiting in front of the door. She was waiting for Chaeyeon to open the door for her. For safety reasons, Wonyoung and her two mothers, Eunbi and Sakura had established that she doesn’t get to open the door by herself. And thankfully for the adults, Wonyoung was very good at following rules.

 

The teacher opened the door just as Eunbi got off the car. Eunbi’s manager only waited for the automatic doors to close before driving away.

 

When Chaeyeon focused her attention back to Eunbi, the singer was walking–more like strutting–towards the front door. Something about the way Eunbi put one feet in front of the other while accentuating her amazing lines knocked the wind out of Chaeyeon. The teacher had to remind herself to breathe as Eunbi stopped to stand in front of her. Even after two months living with Eunbi, the teacher still wasn’t used to the gorgeous specimen standing before her. Chaeyeon was sure that everybody could relate to this. 

 

“Hi Chae,” Eunbi gives Chaeyeon a peck on the corner of her lips. Eunbi didn’t even give Chaeyeon any time to greet her back. The singer quickly turned her attention to her daughter. “Hi baby. I’m sorry I’m home late. Are you ready for bed, Wonnie?”

 

Chaeyeon would never admit it, but even after a couple minutes had passed since Eunbi took Wonyoung upstairs, Chaeyeon was still frozen on the spot thinking about Eunbi’s legs. She was reminded of the fact that she used to have a crush on the singer. Snap out of it, Chaeyeon, don’t ualise your fiancee! The teacher manages to, quite literally, slap herself back to reality. Chaeyeon went back inside the house, without forgetting to lock the front door.

 

––––––––––––––––––––––––

 

After tucking her daughter into bed and only needing to read half a bedtime story for Wonyoung, as well as cleaning herself up after a long day of performing, Eunbi went back downstairs to find Chaeyeon in the living room, still watching Frozen.

 

Eunbi made the split-second decision to grab a bottle of wine and two wine glasses from the kitchen.

 

From her peripheral, Chaeyeon saw her fiancee walk in the living room, but she kept her eyes on the movie. The plot was just getting serious when the guards were about to shoot Elsa with arrows. 

 

Eunbi had placed a glass filled with red wine on the coffee table in front of Chaeyeon, but the teacher had ignored the gesture. Seeing Chaeyeon’s sole attention was on the movie, Eunbi scoffed loudly. The movie had come out so long ago and Wonyoung had watched it so many times that Eunbi could probably recite all the dialogues in her sleep.

 

“I can’t believe you’re this focused watching Frozen.” Eunbi comments.

 

Chaeyeon briefly glances to her right where Eunbi sat, then quickly turned her attention back to the screen. “This is my first time watching the movie.”

 

Eunbi almost chokes on the wine. “Wait–what? You’re a preschool teacher! How have you not seen Frozen?”

 

“Okay, in my defense, I wasn’t a preschool teacher yet when the movie came out. So, sshhhh....”

 

The singer relents and chose to let her fiancée finish the movie in peace. So she leaned back comfortably against the back of the sofa, taking small sips of wine from her glass.

 

Without her knowledge, Eunbi had ended up studying the expressions that Chaeyeon would make as she was watching the movie. It was sort of…cute, the way Chaeyeon would scrunch her nose when the scene in the movie got a bit tense. And how Chaeyeon’s mouth would slightly open when she was amazed by whatever was happening in the movie. Eunbi had to hold back a giggle when by the end of the movie, Chaeyeon had muttered a small ‘wow’ before turning the TV off as the credits started rolling.

 

“Well.. I think it’s safe to say that I get why Wonyoung loves the movie so much.” She comments as she reaches for the glass of wine on the coffee table. She takes a sip and settles the glass down again.

 

Eunbi’s face contorted at the mention of her daughter. She mirrors Chaeyeon’s action of putting the wine glass on the table. “Thank you, again, for taking care of her. There was an accident on the highway and the traffic—”

 

“Eunbi, seriously stop thanking me. You know I’m happy to take care of Wonyoung.” Chaeyeon replies honestly.

 

And Eunbi was so grateful that not only does Chaeyeon gladly takes care of Wonyoung when Eunbi couldn’t, she also did it so well. Outside of school time, there was absolutely no one else besides Chaewon or Sakura that Eunbi trusts to take care of her daughter. Not even her parents. But with Chaeyeon… Eunbi could finally breathe whenever she was away from her daughter, knowing that Wonyoung wouldn’t feel abandoned having Chaeyeon as company. Maybe it was because Chaeyeon is Wonyoung's teacher... but maybe, it could be something else.

 

Though, Chaeyeon was absolute magic when it comes to children, she knew that much from all the parent-teacher meetings. It made Eunbi wonder if Chaeyeon ever wanted to have her own. Obviously, Chaeyeon was good to them, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter