denial isn't just a river in egypt

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note:

Umm, as I've said, I'm in the middle of exams, so I'm sorry for the incredibly late update.

I probably won't update in the next two weeks either, so I just figured I should post this now, so I'm not leaving you guys with nothing.

Sorry for the mistakes, though. I didn't have much time to go over and edit.

 

A few more weeks had passed. Finally school was out and Chaeyeon was glad to be in a position where she‘s not busy with lesson plans and teaching in class–without actually being unemployed. Don’t get her wrong, Chaeyeon loves her job to death. That’s the reason why she agreed to marry an almost stranger just so she could keep her job. But Chaeyeon would be lying if she said she wasn’t glad for the much needed break from the occasional meltdowns and timeouts.

 

On another note, with her being at home for most of her time, Chaeyeon felt like she was growing closer to the mother-daughter duo. Most especially with Wonyoung. Because whenever Eunbi was busy, Chaeyeon would spend time with the child; just the two of them.

 

They even have a routine by now, the three of them. Eunbi would go to work at random hours of any given day. Apparently, singers don’t get to have summer breaks. And now that school was out, Wonyoung and Chaeyeon had hours and hours of free time to waste. If Eunbi had a show, Chaeyeon would be able to come along and stay backstage with Wonyoung. Other days, when the concerts run late over Wonyoung’s bedtime, Chaeyeon would stay at home taking care of the 5-year-old. Either way, all three of them are very happy with this dynamic that they have together.

 

Not that Eunbi would admit it. Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt, after all.

 

Coincidentally, today was one of those days where Eunbi would have to deny just how much she hates waking up alone, after being so accustomed to have Chaeyeon be the first person she sees in the morning.

 

Eunbi rolled over to her side, a frown crossed her features upon finding the empty space. She knows it to be a sign that Chaeyeon had woken up from the alarm a few minutes prior and decided to let Eunbi sleep in. And while usually sleeping in would scare Eunbi, she knew Chaeyeon wouldn’t let her miss going to work. 

 

That had been another part of their dynamic. Every night, they would discuss their schedules for the next day. At first it just made things convenient for them to keep up the act–but now… Eunbi was reminded of how nice it is to be in a team again with someone to co-parent her child. And Chaeyeon was the perfect co-parent Eunbi could ask for.

 

Looking at the time that was just little past 8 a.m., Eunbi calmly sits up to lean on the headboard and goes over her emails on her phone. She doesn’t have to go into work until 11, anyway.

 

Meanwhile in the living room, Chaeyeon was watching cartoons with Wonyoung. The both of them would do this while waiting for Eunbi to wake up. Though, their focus on the princesses on TV was interrupted by the house phone ringing.

 

Chaeyeon was the one to answer it. “Hello?”

 

From the other line was a voice she recognized. It was the voice of Chaeyeon’s favorite trouble-making student, Ahn Yujin. “Is this Ms. Lee? Ms. Lee, can I speak to Wonyoung please?”

 

“Sure, Yujin.” Chaeyeon smiles to herself. She puts the phone out to Wonyoung’s direction, “Wonyo, Yujin is calling you.”

 

Wonyoung leapt up from the sofa and ran to take the phone from Chaeyeon so that she can talk to her best friend. “Yujin! Hi, how’s…” Chaeyeon stopped listening to go make some coffee before she needs to go wake up her fiancee.

 

When Chaeyeon was walking back to her shared room with Eunbi, a flash of hair ran passed her and into the room. The teacher chuckles at the little ball of energy that is Wonyoung. Chaeyeon arrives in the room to see Wonyoung sat on Eunbi’s lap, almost vibrating with excitement.

 

“Mommy!! Yujin got a puppy and she asked me to play with her in the park! Can I go, pleassseeeeee?”

 

Eunbi contemplated to herself. She has a radio program to go to in a few hours, and her sister was busy today. Chaewon booked the whole day off to spend her and Hitomi’s anniversary. And unfortunately, Chaeyeon had decided last night that she was going to stay at home to nurse her cold.

 

Although Eunbi hates letting her daughter down, no one would look after Wonyoung if she goes to the park. “I’m sorry Wonnie, but mommy has to leave for work in a few hours. And auntie Chaewon is busy today so she can’t look after you.” Eunbi was about to tell her daughter that Chaeyeon couldn’t look after her either, but the teacher stopped her by clearing loudly.

 

“I can take her,” Chaeyeon chirps. “You can even come with us for a bit, Bi. Work doesn't start until 11, right?” Chaeyeon was watching the interaction between the mother daughter and felt bad after seeing the disappointment on Wonyoung‘s face when Eunbi had started to apologise. Not to mention, she didn’t want Eunbi to feel guilty about letting Wonyoung down. What could she say? Chaeyeon has a soft spot for the Kwons.

 

Eunbi’s face contorts with concern. Last night Chaeyeon had been saying how much she wanted to stay at home to nurse her cold. She had even planned to have a warm bath, drink a scary amount of hot tea, and watch a couple of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter