the letter

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

Warning: Angst ahead.

I'm sorry fam. But hold on for a bit, we're almost there.

 

For the past twelve hours Eunbi had done nothing else but worry. It was getting out of hand, being she had started worrying from the moment she woke this morning until right up to this point. Her mind did nothing but feed her tormenting thoughts, one after another.

 

The singer even out all throughout the meeting she had this morning with her company CEO. After the meeting ended, she left her manager to take care of whatever needed attention while Eunbi drove straight to the courthouse. She was early by a long shot, and Eunbi thought the free time would get her calm enough to stop worrying, but it only did the opposite.

 

Eunbi stood in front of the restroom mirror. Her hands on each side of the sink, grabbing—no, clawing at the edge of the marble top. She had splashed herself with cold water a few times, trying to snap her out of this vortex of thought to no avail. In the end, the singer kept her focus locked onto the woman in the mirror and stared through herself. Eunbi couldn’t even study her own face or recognize her own features. 

 

She was shaking. And oh god, was it supposed to be this hard to breathe?

 

Her phone rang and Eunbi was relieved for the distraction. She looked at the caller ID.

 

“Hitomi… Hi,” Eunbi breathes out.

 

“Hey, Eunbi.  Where are you?”

 

“Courthouse. Restroom.”

 

“You’re already there? Bit early isn’t it?”

 

“Yeah. I thought getting here early would help me calm down.”

 

“Is it working?”

 

Eunbi barks out a bitter laugh. “Not at all.”

 

“Well, I’m just a block away. Do you think you can keep yourself calm until I get there?”

 

Eunbi wanted to say no, but she didn’t want to worry Hitomi. “Yeah. I’ll be fine.”

 

“Alright. Sit tight, I’ll see you soon.”

 

With her distraction gone, Eunbi breathes in and out heavily, bracing herself before walking out of the restroom. But even as she walks out the door, Eunbi couldn’t stop herself from fidgeting. She clasped her hands together, hoping it would stop shaking. But it didn’t and she ended up playing around with her hands. Unconsciously, by trying to calm herself down Eunbi started biting her lips. It was a miracle she didn’t draw blood.

 

The singer’s mind was still spiralling in worry that she didn’t even notice the commotion at the end of the hallway as she crossed it. She walked quickly into the empty courtroom.

 

Eunbi didn't know it, but she had missed what could have been the last glimpse of Chaeyeon she’ll ever have.

 

–––––––––––––––––––––––––-–

 

Eunbi waited.

 

She’s always considered herself a patient woman. But she’s reached her breaking point.

 

The trial was supposed to start in a few minutes, and everyone was there. Well... almost. Sakura and her lawyer, and Hitomi was there. But they weren’t the ones Eunbi wanted to see or needed at this moment.

 

She needed a calming presence. Eunbi needed someone to ground her to the present and stop her from spiralling into anxiety and worry. She needed the only person who can keep her grounded in an earthquake and to keep her from drowning in a tsunami. Eunbi needs Chaeyeon to keep her from losing it at this moment. She doesn’t think she could face what was next if she didn’t have Chaeyeon right now.

 

But the teacher wasn’t there. And Eunbi was worried because it wasn’t like Chaeyeon to not turn up when she’s promised to be there–hell it wasn’t like Chaeyeon to not be early. So where the hell is she?

 

As if the universe could hear her plea, Eunbi suddenly got a notification from her phone. She looked at the cryptic message she just received. It was a short message from Chaeyeon that says, “I’m sorry,” and nothing else. What could that possibly mean?

 

Like a sudden breeze, Eunbi was overcome by a strong urge to flee. She decided she couldn’t be in the courtroom anymore. “Hitomi,” she whispers to her lawyer. “I have to go.”

 

“What? Eunbi, we’re about to start.” Hitomi looked at the singer only to see Eunbi’s eyes looking distracted, her mind probably a million miles away. The lawyer didn’t even get a reply. The singer had stood quickly and ran out of the courtroom. Hitomi wanted to run after Eunbi, but it was in that moment that the judge walked in. .

 

They stood to greet the judge, and court was in session. “Is there any more evidence to present?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter