hey baby

there's certain dreams that you gotta keep
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On a regular Saturday morning, a month after the deposition found Eunbi driving to her ex-wife’s house to drop off Wonyoung. As she drove on, Eunbi could see from the rear view mirror that her daughter was nodding off in the backseat, likely from being up so early and not getting enough sleep than usual. 

 

It took a couple more minutes before they reached their destination. Eunbi parked her car in the parking lot of Sakura’s apartment complex. She opened the door of the backseat and unclipped the seat belt that was strapped around Wonyoung’s body. She feels guilty having to wake her daughter up, but Eunbi knew Sakura was already waiting for them.

 

Eunbi caresses her daughter’s face softly, trying to coax the little girl awake. She pushes away a lock of hair that fell onto Wonyoung’s face. “Wonnie, baby, we’re here.”

 

Wonyoung’s small hands came up to rub away the sleep from her squinting eyes, her eyebrows furrowed at the reluctance to wake up. The little girl let out a yawn, evidence of the fatigue caused by the night before.

 

Eunbi knew she shouldn’t have let Wonyoung stay up late just to finish the movie. But Chaeyeon had insisted to have a lazy day, consisting of a movie marathon, accompanied by junk food, and easing up on Wonyoung’s bedtime. This was all because of Eunbi getting less days off from work. Not to mention, with school back in session, it was becoming harder and harder for the mother and daughter to spend time with each other. The teacher had reasoned with Eunbi that she shouldn’t let the rare opportunity of a mother-daughter bonding time slip away, just because of something as small as a healthy sleeping schedule. And with Wonyoung’s pleading looks, how could Eunbi refuse? The singer sighs internally, I should really stop letting them gang up on me, Eunbi thought.

 

Once Wonyoung found the strength to open her eyes, she looks around to her surroundings. She almost wondered where she was, before remembering that it was mama’s weekend with her again. She lets Eunbi pick her up from the seat and settle her on the ground next to the car. Wonyoung complies immediately when Eunbi helps her daughter put on her backpack that contained unfinished homework and her favorite teddy bear.

 

Hand in hand, the mother and daughter walked inside the apartment complex. Eunbi waved to greet the concierge when he let them in. It was a testament to how often they’ve been doing this arrangement.

 

When they reached the elevator, Eunbi let Wonyoung punch the button to Sakura’s floor.

 

They got off the elevator, made a few turns and stood in front of Sakura's door. Eunbi squatted down to match her daughter’s height. The singer wraps her arms tightly around her daughter. She breathes in the scent of Wonyoung’s shampoo and exhales a loud sigh. No matter how often she’s dropped off Wonyoung every weekend and gotten her back each Monday, she’s always worried that one day, something might change. The fact that Sakura is actually making her nightmare come to reality, Eunbi isn’t sure how to handle the situation.

 

With one last squeeze, Eunbi lets her daughter go.

 

Wonyoung, being the little observer, saw her mother’s sad looking eyes. “Are you okay, mommy?”

 

Eunbi nods vigorously and tries to give her daughter a reassuring smile. “I’m fine, baby. Now, you be good for mama, okay?” she leaves a kiss on Wonyoung’s forehead. “I’ll see you on Monday.” The singer stands back up and knocks on the door, waiting for her ex-wife to answer.

 

Steps were heard coming from the other side of the door, and not long after, the door opened.

 

“Hi mama.” Wonyoung steps forward to hug her other mother’s legs.

 

Sakura exchanges a look with Eunbi before she proceeds to greet her daughter, “Hey Wonnie, you ready for a fun weekend with mama?” Wonyoung could only nod in reply, her fatigue still taking its toll. Sakura was confused when she didn’t get the usual enthusiastic reply from her daughter. She looks to her ex-wife in question, “she alright?”

 

“Yeah, just tired. We had a movie night that ran past her bedtime.” Eunbi explains.

 

“I see.”

 

Eunbi could sense that Sakura had something to say. But she figures, with Wonyoung tired and present, her ex-wife decides to let the matter go for now. They might have to argue about it some other time though.

 

The three of them exchanged goodbyes and only after the door closed did Eunbi release the breath she was holding. She manages to assure herself that she’ll see Wonyoung the following Monday. The singer tells herself that Sakura wouldn’t have been cruel to hurt her more than she already was.

 

Eunbi finally left the apartment and drove herself back home. She was thinking of making use of her swimming pool. It's been awhile since she had the house to herself. And with Chaeyeon having brunch with her friends Yena, Yuri, and Hyewon, she could do anything she wanted to. Eunbi could even walk around at home if she wanted. Not that she will.

 

But right as she parked in her driveway, she knew her plans had been ruined. There was another car parked in front of her house. When the driver stepped out, Eunbi had to squint her eyes to check if she were imagining things. It was the immigration officer from a few weeks back, Ms. Yabuki  Nako.

 

“Ms. Yabuki,” Eunbi walks over to the shorter woman after she locked her car. “If you don’t mind me asking, why are you here?” The singer was sure she and Chaeyeon had another two almost 3 months before the interview. 

 

Nako puts on a bright smile, so bright it was almost threatening. “It’s standard procedure to check on the spousal visa applicants.” The immigration officer made a move to look around her surroundings, “Speaking of, where is your fiancee, Ms. Kwon?”

 

Eunbi almost faltered from the sudden mention of her fiancee. Almost. “Chaeyeon is having brunch with her friends, she’ll be home soon enough. Actually, I can just call her and–”

 

“–I’d rather you not do that.” The short woman cuts her off.

 

Eunbi was puzzled, “Why is that?”

 

But the immigration officer didn’t answer Eunbi. Instead she gestures to the front door and asks, “May I come in?”

 

––––––––––––––––––––

 

“Alright guys, I have to head out and run some errands for Eunbi.” Chaeyeon says as they finished up paying for their lunc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter