Hey, it's Yeri!

Bae's 9

A close second to Wendy’s most disliked mean of transportation, right after dirty cabs, was the train. It was too crowded and Wendy felt like she was slowly becoming claustrophobic because of all the dodging she had to do, to fit inside the train’s small space.

Irene just rolled her eyes, an old habit that she had picked up again recently after she started hanging out with Wendy again. Seoul’s metro rail trains were the least of their problems as they were heading to the Far East of the province, to a place where Wendy swore she had seen their next addition to the team.

Thankfully, it was Wendy’s day off at work again. She wouldn’t have believed if someone told her that crime had so much paperwork and research to do as it actually required, it was driving her crazy. But she knew that as soon as they arrived there, in another part of the Gyeonggi province, everything would be worth it.

Wendy had heard people talk about that girl, who had just graduated from high school, that was creating a certain fuss on the internet because of her ‘insane magic tricks’, which were essentially considered fraud and trespassing, that had led to become quite noticeable and famous on YouTube.

The girl, who was known as Yeri, would usually hang out in a spot close to the train station, the place in which she mostly recorded her videos too. She could manage to trick people so much that she even managed to steal some items on the way of every trick. But she never revealed how she did all her tricks, she just showed herself doing them and Wendy was beyond curious about how she did them.

Just like Wendy has expected, Yeri was there, tricking some foreigners into thinking she had made their chosen card disappear. It was dumb and Irene couldn’t believe Wendy had made her go all the way from Seoul to that dirty station, more than forty minutes away from the restaurant they had left Lalisa at.

“For real? Magic tricks?” Irene asked Wendy as they were both observing the girl from a considerable distance. “I can’t believe it, we are waiting our time here.”

Yeri was betting some money on herself with a guy that said she wouldn’t trick him into believing that she, in fact, was good at magic tricks using play cards. She obviously had accepted the challenge, demonstrating various tricks that left the guy speechless.

He gave her the money while applauding, offering her a hug and Yeri gladly took it, hugging the guy in process. While she hugged him, though, she managed to steal his watch as she put it in her pocket and the guy went away, without even noticing that his Apple Watch was missing.

“She’s good.” Irene commented.

“I thought so.” Wendy said and they both decided to approach the girl.


 

When Wendy and Irene approached Yeri saying they had a business offer, the girl decided to take them both to a McDonald’s restaurant so that they could talk. It wasn’t the ideal place, but it was considerably warmer and cleaner in comparison to Yeri’s spot in the train station.

The girl ordered food in complete silence, after she had asked if the other wanted something and they politely declined as Irene was starting to miss eating a nice Korean homemade meal since she had only been eating various types of junk food for the last weeks.

Once they sat by a table, the duo gave the girl the overview of their heist plan, not giving too much crucial information, but the enough amount that would make Yeri interested. Of course, Yeri was attentive, listening while eating a very large burger.

“So you guys are after one necklace?” Yeri asked, while putting some ketchup on her fries. She was a fast eater.

“It’s a very nice necklace.” Wendy stated and Irene nodded.

“And this is legit money?” Yeri asked, almost done eating.

“Yes, a hundred percent.”

“But you’d have to take a break from Youtube, you know.” Wendy warned and the girl seemed to truly consider.

“We can have unwanted attention on us, I think you understand what we’re talking about.” Irene explained.

Yeri wiped her hands off using a napkin, while she reached out to her phone. They had been chatting for not more than fifteen minutes which meant she still had some time to fool other people in giving her money. Both women looked at her expectantly and she smiled, putting her phone back in her pocket.

“I’m in.” Yeri said and was about to leave, but Irene interrupted her.

“So, hm, can I have my phone back now?”

“Yeah, sure.” Yeri said, giving back Irene’s phone.

“Wendy’s too.”

“She didn’t get my phone, it’s right here in my... oh!”

“My bad, sorry.” Yeri apologized, giving Wendy’s phone back.

“It’s ok.” Irene said while they watched the girl leave the McDonald’s.

She was so young, but a professional already. Yeri gave them her number and told them to text the place and time she had to show up that she would be there. Surely, she was a great addition to team and would play a vital role on it, but Irene would admit it just yet, because if she did, Wendy would endlessly about it and they still had a long way back home.

“Let’s go home.” Irene announced, ready to leave.

“We are not getting the train back, are we?” Wendy whined.

“Of course, we are. Come on, Wendy-ah!”

“Let’s grab something to eat first then!”

“Ok, ok. But after that we leave, we still have a lot to do.” Irene complied once she saw how cutely Wendy was pouting.

“Ok, mom, let’s go!” Wendy teased and Irene hit her arm.

“Don’t call me that!”

“Then stop being so bossy and let’s go eat something! I’m starving!”


 

The duo ended up eating in a small cozy traditional Korean restaurant, not very far from that McDonald’s and Irene was over the moon about it as she craved for some seaweed soup. Her tummy was very happy too.

Wendy ate a lot of kimchi as she was actually that hungry. They spent some time small talking about things they had seen earlier until Irene remembered that Wendy hadn’t told her very important information about Seulgi, one that she found out very recently.

“Seungwan, why didn’t you tell me that Seulgi had useful knowledge about jewelry?”

The usage of Wendy’s Korean name wasn’t something casual; it meant that Irene was actually mad about it. Ok, Wendy might have forgotten that Seulgi working at Pandora was actually something they could take advantage of, but why did she felt so busted about it?

Wendy’s entire face was red in embarrassment and she fake coughed in a futile attempt to get out the situation. Irene kept staring at her, waiting for an explanation that never came, because Wendy didn’t know why she didn’t mention it herself.

“I was too engrossed by your godly sent presence to remember that Seulgi used to work at Pandora.”

Irene chuckled while involuntarily blushing a little which meant that Wendy was safe. Not forgiven, but at least safe from the leader’s rage and that was always a good thing. As if on cue, Irene’s phone beeped, before she could say anything, showing that Lalisa had sent her a message.

“Lalisa just sent a message. She said it was a success and Rosé will start to meet her twice a week to talk about the dress from now on.” Irene told Wendy, was still eating.

“Now that calls for a celebration and I suggest we celebrate that by getting an Uber to go home.”

“Wendy!”


 

Irene decided to let Wendy win that time and they ended up taking an Uber to go home. They were both tired and the younger one had to wake up super early to go to work the next day, something Irene had advised her not to quit, because she didn’t want her partner to be unemployed as she was.

When they arrived home, Seulgi was awake, watching some new music show on tv. She greeted them by waving mindlessly in their direction, her eyes not leaving the screen, not even when Wendy told her they had brought food for her, to which she just gave thumbs up.

Wendy laughed and decided to go to bed. She needed at least six hours of sleep so that she could proper function throughout the day and that meant she should be already sleep if she really wanted to achieve that.

Irene decided to follow her suit and immediately she heard Seulgi make a comment of how whipped she was for Seungwan or something along these lines that she decided to completely ignore. She was too tired to argue anyway.