Of cameras and men

Bae's 9

A couple of days later, after Lisa’s memorable breakdown and incredible fast recovery, Irene decided to organize another meeting at Wendy’s place, this time making sure that all of the members were present.

Wendy looked quite smug as she kept on staring at Irene as the leader walked around the living room, helping Joy out with the big television Jennie had brought for them to display the arena’s thousand security cameras that, thanks to their brilliant hacker, they had access to.

Joy, of course, kept rolling her eyes at Wendy which eventually made the Canadian realize how boderline creepy she was being, specially when they had to be, for once, professional as time quickly passed and soon enough the MAMA awards would happen.

When all of the women were comfortably sat in Wendy’s couch and chairs, about twenty minutes later, Irene decided to explain why they were all gathered there.

“So, now that we’ve gotten them to make changes to their security system, we can make changes too, so that we won’t be detected.”

“We’ve got every inch of this place covered” Wendy continued, pointing to the big screen were the cameras were displayed. “But here’s not where we’re gonna hit it. We’re going to use the spot they don’t really care about. Joy, please show us.”

Joy clicked on a button on her laptop which enlarged the screen, showing one specific spot that didn’t exactly monitored any corridor or any seat, but was pointed at one door.

“There’s a law that prohibits any camera to be mounted in any bathroom.” Wendy explained. “That’s where we’re going to do it.”

“What a violation of privacy that would be to have a camera inside the bathroom.” Irene commented, while sipping her usual camomile tea. “An absurdity!”

“Honestly, imagine the creepy guys who would go over the security cameras tapes if cameras were allowed in bathrooms.” Yeri said and Joy made gagging noises. “Gross.”

“Why are you like this?” Jennie complained and made a disgusted face. “Please, continue, unnie.”

“So after we get the Majestic, we’ll need to get it out out there without being detected.” Wendy continued. “And they are going to go over every inch of that place to find it and everyone who has been seen coming out of that bathroom is going to be a suspect.”

“So?” Lisa questioned as that piece of information seemed dangerous for them to do that. “How are we not getting caught?”

“We’re going to have a mule, someone who’s going to do that job for us.” Irene answered and turned to Yeri’s direction. “How much space do you need outside that bathroom to plant the necklace on somebody else?”

“I don’t know, maybe two meters.” Yeri thought out loud.

“And how long is going to take us to build a blind spot?” Irene asked Joy.

“Moving the camera, bit by bit, maybe like ten to twelve days.” Joy quickly calculated.

“Great.”

“How long did it take for to figure all of this out?” Jisoo curiously asked their leader, overwhelmed by how thoroughly planned the heist was.

“About 4 years and 60 days now, give or take.”


Sometime later that day, after the meeting was over, Jennie called Irene saying that she had some inside information about Tiffany & Co. Apparently, they had also created their own security scheme to protect the necklace, something that up until that point they hadn’t discussed about.

Irene asked for Jennie to go meet her in person again, at Wendy’s place, so that they could elaborate some solution to that new found issue, as all of the other girls were already too busy with their own separate duties for the day.

Jennie had printed out pictures of the new hired guards supposed to protect and monitor the Majestic. She gave the photos to Irene as soon as they sat on the table to talk about it and the leader analyzed the large gentleman on the pictures.

“Tiffany has hired the best security guards in the world.” Jennie said. “Jongin Kim led the presidential security system for over ten years and, as you know, they never lost a president.”

Irene took a closer look at the picture, waiting for Jennie to continue. The younger sighed loudly, giving the other printed picture for Irene to look as she spoke again.

“Sehun Oh, worked as an infiltrator in the FBI and was trained in America.” Jennie explained. “I’m pretty sure they’re both assassins.”

“That’s one way to put it.” Irene joked and Jennie sighed again.

“So now you can go ahead and add them to your list of people who we should avoid.”

“Which list?” Irene questioned.

“That list.” Jennie said as she tried to reach out to a crumpled piece of paper on the table. “I know you do that.”

Irene just grabbed the paper, putting it into her pocket, smirking to Jennie who just shook her head in disbelief. Of course, the leader wouldn’t disclose information that easily, but she was glad the older one listened to her suggestions and ideas.

After all, she was now back in the criminal business and Irene was a great partner, so she just shrugged and decided to end the discussion herself, getting one of the cookies Wendy had baked for them.

 

Meanwhile, somewhere South, in a cozy Starbucks

Joy was a bit worried as she scrolled through Park Security’s website, the company responsible to make the MAMA awards the safest place in the entire Asia, specially after the recent set of events.

The CEO was a young gentleman named Jimin Park, who had inherited the company from his father, a quite powerful man back in the 80s. Jimin was very discreet so she didn’t find a lot of information about him, except that he had employed most of his college friends.

One of said friends was Taehyung Kim, a very cute guy who was also the living definition of soft punk boy, as his Instagram profile was very aesthetically pleasing and contained a lot of dog photos, which was definitely a bonus.

Much to Joy’s surprise, Taehyung was the head director of visual matrix which meant he was the one in charge of the camera placement, as well as the one who was paid to locate the security guard strategically at every important spot.

Hacking into any of his social media account was the obvious choice, so she could have access to the computer he used at work, because, all things considered, Taehyung seemed to be the kind of person who would spend some time to log on Facebook from the company’s office only to watch cute dog videos.

She could already picture in her head how his office looked like. She imagined how he had probably covered the place in edgy decoration, with some plants and Polaroid photos, as well as he probably had a nice coffee machine in of the the corners because of course he would be a coffee enthusiast.

The hacker also imagined how his conversations with Jimin, the CEO, might go as they seemingly belonged to complete opposite societal standards. Jimin looked dedicated, firm, strict and Taehyung seemed outgoing, bubbly and popular.

But, as people usually say, opposites attracts and they looked, in fact, quite good together from what Joy could see in Taehyung’s Facebook account and even in some pictures they looked a bit more than friends and, to be honest, they kind of matched.

Clearing her thoughts, Joy chuckled to herself at her previous thought of almost ‘shipping’ the two strangers as a couple, believing that they belonged to each other. It was probably Yeri’s fault as all she said as how she ‘shipped’ Irene and Wendy and apparently her whole world revolved around different ideas of many people being together.

Joy opened photoshop to create a convincing Facebook ad to a fake dog convention she was almost a hundred percent certain that Taehyung would click on. She gave it the finishing touches and once it was on, Joy just had to wait until the man fell into her stupid effective bait.

And he did, exactly two hours later, when Taehyung was almost done working for the day. He clicked on the ad which led to a page about dogs that he found adorable but little did he knew that a secret software program instantly downloaded itself, allowing remote access to his company desktop computer.

Joy immediately accessed his webcam so she could take a look at his very amused face watching the whole video she had created just so that he would at least be entertained while she scanned his files to find the revised camera plan, which she did find quite easily.

She kept observing him some more time, before she decided to close the tab on her laptop. It was as easy as stealing candy from a kid and she couldn’t feel more proud of her new accomplishment.

Joy took only last look at Taehyung, before she closed her laptop and headed home, so she would start working right away on creating that blind spot without him noticing. She whispered to herself, before smiling proudly at her laptop screen:

“You poor little thing.”

Later that night, when Joy was in her home, she quickly logged in Taehyung’s computer, opening up the software in which the cameras were monitored. She found the file, downloaded and, after she decoded the password, she was granted access to the virtual walkthrough camera plan.

It took only a few clicks until she found the exact bathroom camera she had been looking for. Joy edited the placement to a different position, only by one centimeter until she eventually, day by day, changed the positioning and created the blind spot they needed.

Smirking to herself, she happily close her laptop and at the same time, a notification message popped up on her phone, announcing that she had fifteen minutes until Seulgi picked her up for their date.

It was a great day, indeed.