The necklace

Bae's 9

Irene had her own ways of committing crimes. Over the years, she had perfect the art of lying or pretending something was real, as she liked to call it,  just as actors did, except for them, it was considered legal activity and for her it was misrepresenting. Bull.

She had learned to be patient, too. The perfect crime was one that had been perfectly crafted, thoroughly planned and that left little to no evidence of happening whatsoever, something she had envisioned for the heist.

However, sometimes Irene had to come up with ideas right on the spot. That was what she was doing in that precise moment, pretty early in the morning, as she was talking to bank representatives in an attempt to make a deposit to one of her bank accounts.

She had stolen some random executive’s bank information while she was at the mall, weeks before. Irene had memorized all of the woman’s information, but, of course, she had to have some secret questions to enable big monetary deposits.

Irene was good at improvising, though.

“I’m not trying to make a withdrawal, it’s just a simple deposit and I can’t make it just because I can’t remember the color of my second cousin’s first car. It’s ridiculous!” Irene reasoned and the attendant told her to wait. “Yes, I’ll hold.”

Yeri bursted into the room Irene was, Wendy’s bedroom. She was the first to arrive and also the only one else in Wendy’s house besides Irene, as Yeri wasn’t exactly busy with anything else as the other members were; privileges from being a lousy youtuber.

“Do you need anything?” Irene said, taping her phone to mute the call “I’ll told you to wait in the living room!”

“Ugh, actually, yes.” Yeri responded, inspecting the room which was very organized. “I need a train card, one that I can use on the buses too. I’ve been cycling here every day.”

“I don’t have that.”

“What are you? A tourist?” Yeri said, not believing Irene “Everybody has that card.”

“Well, you and I don’t apparently.” Irene retorted, but laughed. “You’re fascinating.” 

Irene gave her some spare money instead and Yeri just glared at her. That wasn’t enough money even for two days, but she took it nonetheless, stuffing it into her pocket.

“Really?” Yeri whined. “Come on, I can’t even buy a card with this.”

“How about that: we steal two billion wons and I’ll buy everyone bus cards.”

Yeri pouted and attempted to hug Irene but the older one didn’t fall for it because she just unmuted the call, not paying attention to the girl anymore. Irene had more important things to deal with and the first one was that deposit, Yeri’s mean of transportation was the least of her problems.

“By the way, Jennie-unnie just arrived.” Yeri told her and finally left the room.

After Irene made that deposit, which had lead to argue with at least three different bank employees before they did the deposit, she headed out to the living room, where Yeri, Seulgi and Jennie were standing, chatting excitedly about their plan and the gadgets that Jennie had brought.

Wendy entered the house when Irene was about to call the girls, looking rather confused and completely out of breath. She held out her index finger, pointing outside to someone who was busy, taking stuff out of a big SUV, Jennie’s SUV to be more exact.

She took a deep breath, before she asked:

“Why is Rosé’s manager outside, in Jennie’s car?”


“So explain it to me again, how can I be sure that Jisoo is not going to be a threat to our plan?” Irene asked Jennie, who looked a bit distressed.

After they had realized Jisoo, Rosé’s manager, was also Jennie’s wife, Irene decided to talk to Jennie privately, while the other girls waited for them downstairs. She had no intention of interrogating Jennie, but, under those circumstances, it felt necessary.

“Unnie, she’s my wife. Jisoo would never betray me, that I’m sure.” Jennie repeated, for the hundredth time. “Don’t worry, she won’t say a word.”

Irene was lost in thought, but she nodded along. She trusted Jennie and knew she wouldn’t let her down, so it felt a bit out of place to put her long time friend under the spotlight like that.

Not only that, there was also no way of Jennie showing them a concrete proof of Jisoo’s true intentions anyway. It was a matter of believing her words or not and Irene knew she believed her.

“Alright, let’s go back to the living room.” Irene finally said. “I’m counting on both of you, so make sure you do your best.”

“Oh, you can bet on it.”


Once they both went downstairs, all the girls had arrived and had been anxiously waiting for Jennie to start to demonstrate each gadget she had brought to them: from in-ear communicators to hidden almost invisible cameras, it all seemed to rad to be true.

“Jen, show them the printer!” Jisoo said. “You guys are going to love this.”

It was a 3D printer which was very cool, but Irene could get how it would be useful as Jennie had showed them some things she had printed using that machine but they were all colorful solid items and the diamonds were translucid and shining, how would they achieve that?

But, to the leader’s surprise, Jennie printed a transparent piece, a small Michelangelo's David replica that looked exactly like it had been sculpted using diamonds as the material shone beautifully. Irene wouldn’t even tell that it wasn’t a real diamond if she hadn’t seen it becoming tangible in the printer.

“That’s awesome!” Lisa squealed and Wendy nodded.

“We can print a perfect replica of the Majestic using this.” Seulgi noted, inspecting the piece Jennie had printed. “It’s very realistic, they won’t even be able to tell the difference at first glance.”

“This is zirconium, a rather cheap material that will be very useful for us.” Jisoo claimed and Jennie smiled in agreement. “It’s perfect.”

“I like it.” Yeri commented while touching the recently printed piece.

Joy reached out to see as well, over Yeri’s shoulder which made the girl shiver involuntarily by the woman’s hot breath close to her ear. She slightly jumped and Joy laughed, savoring the moment before it ended.

“I bet you do. Now hand me back the piece.” Jennie demanded and the girl handed it to her.

“Now these are your very special glasses.” Jennie said, giving Irene a pair of very thick-framed glasses. “If Lisa can pull this off and this is a very big if…”

“HEY!” Lisa shouted, a bit offended, but Jennie continued.

“These glasses will scan the real necklace and send a digital print back to us here. Once we have that, this thing will print a replica of it in zirconium.”

“That’s genius.” Irene complimented and Jennie flipped her hair, laughing. “I’m glad you’re back to business.”

“Yeah, I have my ways.”



The next day had come and Lisa had previously decided to go the Tiffany & Co.’s main store in Seoul with Seulgi that day, where the Majestic was safely locked in a vault, six meters underground. She loved how extra that sounded so she was beyond hyped about going to that store and, luckily, it was Seulgi’s day off again, which meant that time wouldn’t be an issue for them.

As soon as they entered the store, they both introduced themselves to the manager, a tall young man called Johnny, telling that they wanted to take a look at the necklaces they had, including the Majestic. Seulgi, who had presented herself as Lisa’s assistant for the day insisted on seeing the Majestic first, but the manager told them to wait.

The manager took them to a separate room, which was probably his office and started to show them various signature necklaces Tiffany had, but they weren’t even slightly interested, they were there for the Majestic only and they wouldn’t be convinced otherwise.

“Those are all great necklaces but they are not the Majestic.” Seulgi pointed out and Lisa agreed.

“We want to see the Majestic now.” Lisa demanded, crossing her legs in the small cushion chair of the office.

“We thought you might want to see these first.” Johnny said.

“Right, what for?” Lisa questioned.

“There are some logistical problems with that necklace, we wouldn’t have a way to insure it.” He explained, but they weren’t giving up.

“We’re here for the Majestic only.” Lisa stated and Seulgi just stared at the man.

“Just a minute, I’ll see what I can do.”

 

They waited impatiently for about half an hour until the manager came back with another man, someone who looked quite powerful and intimidating, probably that manager’s boss or something in a higher position in the store. The man was not Korean, but Thai as Lisa could tell from his last name on the tag in his suit.

“That necklace is worth over two billions wons, Miss Manoban. We won’t be able to insure it.” The guy explained and Johnny vanished, leaving only Seulgi, Lisa and the Thai man in the room.

“I’m not really a numbers person, I can’t even count that high.” Lisa said and Seulgi had to put a hand in her own mouth so that she didn’t laugh, but coughed instead.

“The insurance policy wouldn’t allow for someone to that the necklace out…”

“But I’m sure you would work out all those details.” Lisa said and the guy scoffed.

“Miss Manoban, I’m afraid the answer is no. You won’t be able to see the necklace.” the guy said a bit harshly.

“NO?”

“No.”

 

Lisa exchanged a few glances with Seulgi who didn’t look desperate, but her eyes did scream some sort of uneasiness. The Thai closed her eyes for a second, trying to choose the right words to say as her head shouted at her to not screw this up.

She had to prove Jennie wrong, she could and would pull that off like a professional that she was. Lisa would get the Majestic, whether that Thai man wanted her to or not. She would do it.

“Look, can I be frank? I always loved Tiffany. It’s cute, it’s feminine, it’s fresh and it had that whole movie with it but there’s a whole generation out there who doesn’t even know if you guys sell jewels or food.”

“Tiffany & Co. is a very renowned jewelry store, everybody knows that.” the Thai man answered in Thai this time, a bit intimidated by Lisa.

“Nah, for all I know Tiffany & Co. could easily come across one of those very cheap American fast food chain restaurants.” Lisa said determined in Thai.

“She’s right.” Seulgi intervened, in Korean, without understanding a single word of what they were saying and the Thai guy narrowed his eyes at them, in a failed menacing way.

“And the Majestic is not doing you any good, sitting in a vault when it could be going viral, worldwide, nested in the ample bosom of Rosé, Korea’s most famous singer.”

 

That had successfully convinced the man, who called the manager back, allowing those two women to see the Majestic, downstairs in its vault. They exchanged formal bows and Lisa followed the manager with Seulgi, sweating in anticipation.

The vault was huge and its door was so thick that Lisa was sure it was pretty much impenetrable. It had gates after gates and probably several motion detectors. She glanced at Seulgi who was amazed by the vault’s size just as she was, looking around. So far, everything was happening according to plan.

The manager was carefully carrying the necklace that was not even one percent of the size of the vault. He was wearing gloves and when he opened the box, they all gasped seeing how shiny the Majestic was, including the manager himself and the security guys.

The necklace was definitely showstopper, they had to have it.

Lisa motioned to put the scan glasses, pretending they were reading glasses. However, when she did, nothing happened as they were six meters underground and the internet connection was completely blocked by the vault’s thick walls. She should’ve known better.

Seulgi noticed something was off, specially because Lisa was taping her glasses repeatedly. She couldn’t hear Irene’s coordinates anymore in her earpiece as well so took a discrete look at the glasses, reading the warning stating there was no signal and quickly an idea came up in her mind.

“Very secure down here, huh?” Seulgi asked Johnny.

“Three meters of solid concrete in each wall.” He answered proudly.

“The lighting is not that good, though.” Seulgi pointed out and the manager’s smile faltered. “Lisa needs better lighting.”

Lisa just stared at Seulgi for a minute, processing what she had said. She couldn’t figure out what the lighting had to do with the internet connection but when she was about to ask what the Korean meant, Seulgi decided to explain.

“You said you needed to see the necklace in the sunlight.” Seulgi pointed out.

“Oh, yes! Right.” Lisa agreed, finally getting it. “The red carpet happens while the sun is still out, so I need to see it in the natural light.”

“Yes, she does.” Seulgi said and the manager smiled politely, motioning for them to follow him upstairs.

 

Once they were in Tiffany's main floor, they put the necklace in one of the tables. The Majestic was shining beautifully, but what was ever better was the fact that the internet connection was back.

Lisa started to scan the necklace using the glasses. Johnny gave them a weird look when the designer started to walk around the table, in a circular motion. He was about to question, but Seulgi raised her index finger.

“Please don’t interrupt her artistic process.” Seulgi warned. “If you do, she’ll have to start it all over again.”

The manager nodded, staying silent and Lisa walked around the table a few more times, until it was done. She had successfully scanned the necklace but she was feeling a bit motion sick from walking around in circles so many times.

Lisa knew it would be worth it, though.

“I’m done.” Lisa announced and five kilometers away, the whole squad cheered loudly, ringing in Seulgi’s earpiece.

Those women were loud and Seulgi was slowly regretting being the one wearing the earpiece, but considering how odd Lalisa was, she was better off being the one in charge of that anyway.

“Thank you so much, James.” Lisa thanked the manager.

“It’s Johnny, Miss.”

“That’s exactly what I said.” Lisa waved at him and Seulgi followed her. “See you soon!”