Life imitates art

Bae's 9

The time had come to visit the MAMA’s venue for the first time, which was used for various concerts and sports events throughout the months and Irene, Jennie and Seulgi headed out to the designated arena for the year, while Joy monitored them from their headquarters.

They managed to get last-minute tickets for one of the events, a soccer match no one really cared enough about, just so they could get in and study the place which was a very modern arena, one that could easily fit a large crowd.

Jennie was dress in full soccer fan apparel while the other two wore their usual fashion choices, with the exception of the soccer team T-shirts they were both wearing, with less enthusiasm than Jennie, who was kind of sad they didn’t fully commit to their sports fan spirit.

They decided to split, so that they could cover a larger area in less time. Jennie was recording a video of each corridor while Irene was taking notes on her phone about the camera placement and Seulgi just wandered around, looking for an interesting spot they could use for future reference.

There was a sort of hall of fame, away from the seats, as a tribute to all the renowned artists who had been there for some reason, to perform or to play or even just to visit, as the walls were decorated with their signed photos posters.

Seulgi was drawn to that area, as it supposedly connected the backstage to the common lounge and then to where the stage usually was put. It was a very large corridor, but there were no security guards close to it, as they focused on the hundreds of people who were watching the match.

She decided to have some fun, to test how good the place’s security system worked as she unbolted Rosé’s picture frame from the wall, to take a closer look. No alarms went off.

Seulgi observed the thin marker line of Rosé’s autograph very closely as an idea popped on her mind. She took a sharpie pen she had been carrying on her purse, for drawing purposes when she nothing better to do at work, and scribbled down to thick lines on the singer’s pretty face.

She put the poster back on the wall, admiring her art piece and adding some more lines to her drawing, some details. Seulgi took a step back, analyzing it and jolted in surprise when Irene called out her name.

The match was almost over which meant it was time for them to leave, before it got messy. Seulgi took one last glance at the picture and followed the leader back to their seats, smiling to herself and already imagining the fuss she had created.


“For real, a mustache on Rosé’s picture? That’s how creative you can get?” Yeri complained once they all heard the news. “That’s so lame that Banksy would never do that.”

It was everywhere. Every headline talked about someone, or a group of people maybe, who managed to vandalize Korea’s sweetheart’s picture in Seoul’s most famous arena and no one saw it, no one had a clue of how that happened.

Irene called out an urgent meeting, but, because of some logistical problems, only half of the team could attend it: Seulgi, Joy, Yeri and herself, as the others were busy working, which was understandable as they could raise any suspicions.

Meanwhile, some newspapers were already crediting that work of art as another of Banksy’s risky adventures as others criticized the lack of security of the arena. Obviously, Seulgi was overwhelmingly happy about it, as Irene thought it was a bold genius move.

Jisoo was the one who actually got mad at Seulgi. She had called her in the early morning to let out her frustrations about Rosé’s crybaby behavior because of the ugly mustache drawn on her picture going viral on the internet.

The manager didn’t even ask if it was Seulgi’s doing or not or if it had been their fault or not as the signs were pretty much very evident and lead all to those three and frankly she knew Jennie would do that nor would Irene, so it had to be the poor artistic bear.

But Jisoo ended up also laughing about it, a few minutes later, ending their conversation in a much lighter tone, agreeing that it had been at least nice to have some change and see Rosé get stressed over that absurdity. The singer was, after all, just as sensitive to criticism as they all were and Jisoo actually thanked Seulgi for making her realize that which, to say at least, was quite weird.

Irene told the group that they would be able to get some inside information, as the topic about security had been brought up by the high executives that owned that place, who have decided and promised the whole security system would be revised.

And that meant that probably a very secretive meeting would take place in of the company’s offices, the one who was in charge of making the arena the safest place in the entire Korea for the upcoming awards event, to discuss the new scheme.

All they had to do was manage a way in, so they could get an inside scoop to help them map down all the cameras and guards. And, Irene, as the brilliant leader that she was, had already an idea to sneak into the said office.

“Joy, how much time do you need to plug in a hidden recording device?”

“Probably two minutes, tops. Maybe five if I have to search for a place to do so.”

“Great! I have an idea.”


Later that night, Joy, Yeri and Irene headed out to the Park Security company’s tall building in Seoul’s far west side. The plan was simple: Joy would sneak into the main office disguised as a janitor to plug in a hidden recorded, who would broadcast live audio so that they could know each and every camera placement in the arena.

But, for that to happen, Yeri had to snatch off one of the employees’ card to enter the building. For a security company, that was quite unsafe as any other locking system would be more effective, such as a simple fingerprint locks or maybe even password locks. Those amateurs!

Thankfully, Yeri had convinced Irene to park in a small convenience store nearby which would be very convenient to her stomach, as she also managed to persuade the leader to buy her food after she go the card, a win-win situation.

“How can you give in so easily to this little goblin?” Joy gasped as Irene numbly nodded along to all of Yeri’s conditions to the plan.

“We need her.”

Yeri huffed a big puff of air as she exited the convenience store, where the other two stayed and were waiting for her to get the first part of the plan done. She gave them a thumbs up and motioned for them to observe her and, as she predicted, Joy frowned in annoyance.

She stomped in one of the employees’ direction, determination in her eyes. Yeri forcibly bumped her shoulder in a janitor’s left side, managing to easily steal his access card in one move, stuffing it into her pocket, without looking back at the man who called her rude for not apologizing.

“There you have it.” Yeri whined, entering the store while looking expectantly at Irene. “Now can we eat that hot dog I was telling you about?”

 

The second part of the plan consisted in Joy going into the building, disguised as one of the janitors, so that she could reach the meeting room and plug in in the recorder. Although it was quite simple, it demanded a lot of attention as the hacker had to be precise and go unnoticed by the executives.

When she excused herself to do her part, Yeri mumbled a good luck while munching on her recently-bought hot dog, full. Irene gave her a disapproving look and she muttered an apology under her breath, repeating her “good luck” to Joy once again.

“I’m sorry, what did you say?” Joy joked, but Yeri wasn’t having it.

“Oh, c’mon. Just do your part so we can go home!”

 

When they came back to Seungwan’s place that night, they found Seulgi and Wendy playing cards, more specifically UNO, sitting on the floor. There were some empty beer cans on the floor and Irene was glad the next day would be a Sunday, which meant it was going to be their day off.

They were both very concentrated and just motioned a quick hello to them as the other three took off their shoes to go near them. When the trio sat close to the two, Irene closely inspecting Wendy’s cards while Yeri and Joy discussed Seulgi’s poor decision-making skills, a black card was thrown on top of the pile.

“A plus 4? Seulgi, I thought we were friends!”

“Sorry not sorry!”

“I hope you forget to say UNO when the time comes!”

Irene laughed and Wendy shivered at the sound. The leader was ridiculously close to her, their sides touching while Yeri and Seulgi glared at Wendy, which kind of made it obvious but Irene was too oblivious to notice, while Joy smirked knowingly.

“Oh, no! It’s already a quarter to midnight!” Joy started, poking Yeri’s sides. “We gotta go to the train station before it closes!”

“No, we… ah, yes!” Yeri corrected once she realized where that conversation was headed. “Seulgi-Unnie, thanks for offering to drive us there! I think we want to go now!”

“I didn’t off-“ Seulgi coughed when Yeri pushed her a little. “Right! Let’s go, girls!”

“But the game?” Wendy whined, silently pleading for help as she figured that the three were about to leave her alone with Irene, a dangerous situation. “Let’s finish the game first!”

“Oh, no. I don’t think we have the time!” Seulgi said and picked up Wendy’s car keys from the table. “I’ll be right back!”

 

Somehow they ended up cuddling in the small space of Wendy’s couch, Irene lied down on top of Wendy, who was too busy scrolling through Netflix options to have a mental breakdown about how close they were. She had priorities after all.

Irene felt sleepy, specially because of Wendy’s soft touch in her hair and how her breathing was steady as they comfortably held each other. And, of course, the warmth the younger one radiated made it even better.

Wendy decided to watch some series about a family, something that Irene found at least ten times less interesting than observing the Canadian from up close and her giggle at every lame joke.

Irene didn’t even understand what the characters were saying as it was in English and she didn’t want to move so that she could read the subtitles. So she stayed quiet, too mesmerized and engrossed by Wendy’s presence.

“Unnie, are you awake?” Wendy asked above a whisper after the leader stayed silent for a while. “Do you wanna go to bed?”

“No.” Irene said, her voice muffled as she hid her face on the crook of Wendy’s neck. “Let’s stay here!”

“Hey, that tickles!” Wendy jokingly complained as Irene’s hot breath on her skin made her feel goosebumps. “Look at me.”

The leader shook her head while Wendy laughed wholeheartedly at her behavior. She fought a smile for a while, but eventually gave in, steadying herself on her right elbow so she could look at Wendy.

Suddenly, in a brave move, Wendy pecked Irene’s lips so quickly that the leader wondered if it had happened or not. She must have made a confused face because Wendy actually did it again, this time giving her a proper kiss.

“Wow.” Irene gasped and Wendy blushed hard, looking away. “Are you like trying to tell me you’re into me or something?”

“Oh my god.” Wendy felt her cheeks burning up. “You’re so gross.”

“And you’re too cute, silly!”

“STOP!”

Before Irene could continue their sudden banter, she heard a loud thud which made her jump away from Wendy. She stood in a considerable distance just in time that Lisa stomped her way to the living room, followed by Seulgi who had an apologetic smile plastered across her face.

Wendy looked confused, but she didn’t say a word. She exchanged a look with Irene as to raincheck whatever moment they were having before and decided to just observe Lisa for a while, as she walked in circles.

The leader shot a glare at Seulgi, silently demanding as explanation as to why Lisa was stomping around the place, holding a wine bottle while stressfully talking to herself in Thai.

“She texted me saying she had an emergency.” Seulgi explained, out loud, while Lisa sat in a corner, chugging down the wine. “Turns out the emergency was the fact that Rosé invited her to her house, she freaked out and ended up ignoring the girl’s texts.”

Wendy nodded slowly, as things supposedly clicked in her mind and that fact alone was more than enough as it made perfect sense the fact that Lisa was having a breakdown at two in the morning on a Sunday.

“Lisa was at a private party downtown. And I had already dropped off the girls by the time she texted me. Her texts weren’t making sense so I decided to pick her up.”

“Don’t say you just showed up wherever she was because you wanted to see Rosé in real life.” Irene said while raising an eyebrow at Seulgi.

“Well, I had a slight hope that she would be there but I did it for Lisa. She might be weird, but I have a soft spot for underrated artists and designers.”

“How did she explain all of that to you when she’s in that state?” Wendy curiously questioned. “Hey, Lisa, maybe don’t drink that fast...oh.”

Lisa was already too drunk, so much so that she had fallen asleep or passed out, they wouldn’t be able to tell the difference as the Thai woman soundlessly slept, her arms spreaded flat on the floor.

“Oh, she didn’t. The bartender spoke to me on the phone and explained the whole situation as Lisa was probably sober when she poured her heart out to that guy.”

“Geez, what are we gonna do with her?” Wendy asked as she decided to take a closer look at the girl. “She’s going to have a hell of a hangover.”

“Let’s take her to my bed and I’ll sleep on the other bedroom.” Seulgi offered. “How does that sound?”

“Great! I hope she as light as she looks.” Irene said.

The three women carried an actually quite heavy Lisa to Seulgi’s designated room, taking small breaks in between as they tried not to laugh at the absurdity and accidentally wake the Thai girl up, she had already drunk enough maybe for a month and she needed to chill and rest.

“C’mon, one more flight of stairs and we’re done!”