Eenie, meenie, miney, Jennie

Bae's 9

The next day came and Joohyun woke up to an empty bed, since it was already seven in the morning and Wendy was probably already at work. So she yawned and stretched, already missing the woman’s warmth while she was getting up and headed downstairs.

Seulgi wasn’t home as well. She left a post it note on the fridge saying that someone had to miss work at the office and she was the one chosen to replace that person, which meant she would work at least twice the time she usually did.

After two tedious whole hours, Irene decided to text Wendy to see what she was up to and to brainstorm a few names to add to their team. It felt a little desperate but she was bored and needed to occupy herself with something productive.


Miss me already? - Wannie

Please, focus. - Hyun

How can I focus when you’re texting me while I’m at work? - Wannie


Seungwan had a valid point. But Joohyun couldn’t help it, she was feeling too anxious and need to do something useful with the time she had on her hands. Those customers could wait.


​​​​​​​We need someone to help us fence. - Hyun

We need a what now? - Wannie​​​​​​​

Someone to deal with the stolen necklace, that could replace it with a new one without anyone noticing. - Hyun


Seungwan kept on typing for a while, maybe a customer called her or something similar because she only answered after ten whole minutes, in which Irene had anxiously paced around the room waiting for her reply.


I have no idea who that could be. Everyone that I know that could do that is currently in prison. - Wannie​​​​​​​

And we don’t want that. - Hyun

How about that friend of yours? Jennie? She said she’s out of the business but I highly doubt it - Wannie


With that information in mind, Joohyun gathered all her belongings, immediately going to Jennie’s house, or at least she hoped that enormous house was still the place she lived because if it wasn’t, it would be very hard to explain why she was hiding in the garage.

The garage was full with so many different items, from electronics to camping gear, that she wondered if Jennie wasn’t reported to the police for owning all that stuff. It looked like a store as most things were still in their packaging, which was sort of fascinating.

She saw a big SUV was parked in street, in front of the house, which meant Jennie was probably home. Joohyun dialed Jennie’s number and after the third ring, she pick up the call, muffled voices in the background and she waited for the New Zealander woman to say something.

“Irene-unnie, I told you I can’t talk with you anymore. I’m with my family!”

“I’m outside.”

“What?” Jennie gasped and Irene heard someone ask if everything was alright to which the woman just said a muffled yes.

“I’m in your garage. Nice decor by the way. It looks like a supermarket, I’m impressed.”

 

Jennie stormed out of her house, telling her family that she would be in the outside if they needed something and right after she entered her garage rather angrily while Irene was pacing around the place, chewing some new untouched bubblegum she had found in one of the garage’s shelves.

“Unnie, what are you doing here? I thought you were in jail.” Jennie said a bit conflicted, hoping no one had noticed the woman in her garage.

“I got out.” Irene explained while she looked up, there was still even more stuff hanging from the ceiling. “And I thought you had retired.”

“I did.”

“Yeah, right. You know, that’s a waste because you used to be so good at it, highjacking trucks that were meant to deliver phones...”

“But I don’t do that anymore.” Jennie interrupted. “What do you want?”

“I want to reconnect.” Irene said, getting closer to the woman. “I sort of miss my friends, you know.”

“I miss you too, Unnie.” Jennie said, smiling and hugging the intruder. “But, for real, I don’t do this stuff anymore.”

“I need your help.”

“I can’t, I have kids, a family that I love...”

“Kids!?” Joohyun gasped. “You’re too young for that!”

“No, I’m not and I’m a proud mom of three lovely dogs!” Jennie said and Irene laughed.

 

They fell in a comfortable silence, while Irene observed the place. It was so meticulously organized that it felt unreal, it must have taken a long time for her to put everything in the right place, but at the same time, it looked quite tedious to have all that stuff and do nothing with it.

“Don’t you ever get bored here? I’ve been here for twenty minutes and I feel like I’m already beyond bored, I could die out of boredom any minute.”

“It’s not boring! It’s relaxing.” Jennie argued.

“I don’t know, maybe you want me to tell you how big of a job this is?” Irene whispered into Jennie’s right ear. “I think you do.”

“No, I…”

Irene whispered the basics of the heist, about the necklace, about how must it was worth and how much money they would make from it to Jennie, who just froze in place. She blinked a few times, trying to fully process what the woman had just told her. It was insane, but it could work.

“Are you kidding?”

“No.”

Jennie was about to say something when someone else, a woman, called her and seemed dangerously close to where they were standing. She motioned for Irene to stay hidden behind a shelf while she went to the garage’s entrance, to talk with the woman.

“Baby, were you talking to someone?” Irene overheard the unknown feminine voice ask.

“Darling, I was just talking to myself. You know, I do need to reorganize this place. This garage is a mess.” Jennie said in a very convincing tone and right after Irene heard a very wet sound, probably from a kiss.“I’ll just finish some stuff and I’ll be right back.”

“Ok, hurry up. The kids are waiting.”

A loud thud could be heard which meant the woman had left. Jennie came back looking very distressed, almost sweating, taking in sharp breath and Irene took the opportunity to ask her what she already knew the answer to.

“So are you down?”

Jennie nodded and Irene grinned at her. The New Zealander knew that face and knew exactly what the older woman was thinking, but that didn’t prevent her from saying it anyway.

“Was that your wife?”

“Yes.” Jennie said while blushing a little. “We met here but got married in New Zealand and decided to move back to Korea.”

“That’s so cute!” Irene said, in a baby voice. “My baby Jennie is all grown up now.”

“Yeah, yeah. Thanks a lot.”

“She seems sweet by the way. Can’t wait to meet her.”

“No way!” Jennie squealed and Irene laughed. “You’re a really bad influence.”

Irene gave her a stern look. She might be the one who had been to prison, but Jennie was the one with over two hundred stolen items in her garage, waiting to be resold by a cheaper price, something very Robin Hood of her to be honest, quite admirable.

“By the way, how do you explain to her all of this in your garage?”

“Hm, Amazon and eBay.”

 

Irene got out of the garage right after, waving goodbyes to Jennie, who was out of sight. Little did she know that another woman was observing her, from the house's windows, ready to inquire her wife, Jennie, about who was that stranger who had recently gotten out of their garage without her consent.